PhD/PsyD Michigan Masters License changes for EPPP (DLLP) (TLLP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michiganKV1029

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a temporary limited license psychologist in Michigan- I am currently completeing my post masters hours, and then I am planning on taking the EPPP. Michigan has been giving us masters people a hard time. When I applied for my license, they "changed" the requirements stating we only have a year and a half to complete our 2,000 hours with no extension ever again. Then they changed it back and are giving us an extension. The new changes they want to make is to call us Masters Psychological Associates (in which no one gets grandfathered in, even if you had your full masters license for 30 years). Anyways, they just made a new rule in Michigan where if you take the EPPP one time and you fail, your temporary license becomes null and void and you cannot practice until you pass the exam. My question is, does any one know if the "loophole" holds true where I could take the EPPP in another state, and then transfer my scores to Michigan? Because I dont want to take it and fail the first time and lose my ability to practice and lose my clients. Any ideas?

I have posted the new (ridiculous) rules they have started to implement in Michigan.

1. You must complete at least 2,000 hours of supervised post-degree psychology experience, while holding an educational limited T.L.L.P. license.

2. You are required to pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP).

3. A board may grant a temporary license to an applicant who has completed all requirements for licensure except for examination or other required evaluation procedure. The board will not grant a temporary license to an individual who has previously failed the examination or other required evaluation procedure or whose license has been suspended or revoked. A temporary license is valid for 24 months. The board will automatically void the temporary license if the applicant fails the examination or other required evaluation procedure.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if Michigan will let you take the EPPP before completing the additional clinical hours?

While that sounds like a hassle, the loophole of limited license psych practice is something i’d like to see gone, so changing everyone to Masters Psychological Associates actually clears up what has been a very confusing distinction and fuzzy scope of practice issue that has existed for decades in Michigan.

I was licensed in Michigan and all I can say is good luck bc their licensing office is/was a train wreck to navigate. It took months and answers seem to change, depending on who you ask.

Last edited:
I am currently a temporary limited license psychologist in Michigan- I am currently completeing my post masters hours, and then I am planning on taking the EPPP. Michigan has been giving us masters people a hard time. When I applied for my license, they "changed" the requirements stating we only have a year and a half to complete our 2,000 hours with no extension ever again. Then they changed it back and are giving us an extension. The new changes they want to make is to call us Masters Psychological Associates (in which no one gets grandfathered in, even if you had your full masters license for 30 years). Anyways, they just made a new rule in Michigan where if you take the EPPP one time and you fail, your temporary license becomes null and void and you cannot practice until you pass the exam. My question is, does any one know if the "loophole" holds true where I could take the EPPP in another state, and then transfer my scores to Michigan? Because I dont want to take it and fail the first time and lose my ability to practice and lose my clients. Any ideas?

I have posted the new (ridiculous) rules they have started to implement in Michigan.

1. You must complete at least 2,000 hours of supervised post-degree psychology experience, while holding an educational limited T.L.L.P. license.

2. You are required to pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP).

3. A board may grant a temporary license to an applicant who has completed all requirements for licensure except for examination or other required evaluation procedure. The board will not grant a temporary license to an individual who has previously failed the examination or other required evaluation procedure or whose license has been suspended or revoked. A temporary license is valid for 24 months. The board will automatically void the temporary license if the applicant fails the examination or other required evaluation procedure.
Did you want to be called a Psychologist with a Master's degree? Tell me then the distinction between a Doctoral level practitioner and a Master's. I am fully in agreement with the new title.
Can you get an LLP vs. a TLLP with a lower EPPP score?

Reactions: 1 user