This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD227

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I am about to start studying for MI MPJE and now im freaking out because I have no idea where to start. I purchased the book by Dr. Vivian and that is all. What other resources should I use? Also for those who used Rx Prep, did it help...was it worth it?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
dont use MPA document your only source of study material. It was horrible

dont use MPA document your only source of study material. It was horrible
So I ended up purchasing Baron's book of practice questions and there is so much in this book that wasn't even mentioned in the MPA book. Have you taken the exam yet?

Hi everyone! So I am about to start studying for MI MPJE and now im freaking out because I have no idea where to start. I purchased the book by Dr. Vivian and that is all. What other resources should I use? Also for those who used Rx Prep, did it help...was it worth it?

TIA
Just took it this week. I suggest reading the rules on LARA website. The exam was more specific than barans book but it did help a lot. Get her notes from someone. It goes with the practice questions. Haven’t gotten my grade yet but most of the questions are from the same material from barans notes. Just more specific and detailed which’s why people get it wrong. I say read barans notes multiple times and know your controls!!. It gives you general idea and you’ll just have to make educated guesses and hope for the best. Still haven’t gotten my grade yet but I’m feelinf positive. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took it this week. I suggest reading the rules on LARA website. The exam was more specific than barans book but it did help a lot. Get her notes from someone. It goes with the practice questions. Haven’t gotten my grade yet but most of the questions are from the same material from barans notes. Just more specific and detailed which’s why people get it wrong. I say read barans notes multiple times and know your controls!!. It gives you general idea and you’ll just have to make educated guesses and hope for the best. Still haven’t gotten my grade yet but I’m feelinf positive. Good luck

I passed with a 75. Just watched the video from Michigan Pharmacist Association website.

Anyone who applied for MI licensure after May 1? Just wondering how long it takes for them to process the application.

Anyone who applied for MI licensure after May 1? Just wondering how long it takes for them to process the application.
Took several weeks because you have to pass MPJE before they'll even send you your background check info.

Passed MPJE on 7/13/18, license was issued 08/28/2018.

Last edited:

I took it on the 11th and luckily passed with a 78. You are right it was extremely specific and although Baron helped me so much, I still felt like i guessed on a majority of the questions. That exam really made me question a lot haha. Do you know how long it takes to receive the license in the mail?

Took several weeks because you have to pass MPJE before they'll even send you your background check info.

Passed MPJE on 7/13/18, license was issued 08/28/2018.

So if you applied after May 1st, it takes longer for your license to be issued?

It used to be that you apply before taking the exams but they just changed it so that you can't apply until after you pass them. I'm hoping it doesn't take as long as ValeRx since they should have my fingerprinting from my intern license but I'll post an update when I get it.

Update: It took exactly 2 weeks to process my application

Last edited:
Took MPJE on 8/1/18. License Posted on 9/4/18. Given I did have to email them to inform them that m NABP license transfer app had gone through the week before, then they sent me an email with my license number within 30 minutes

In my opinion, I think you should. It was great practice to get you thinking about the types of questions you'll see. With that being said, MPJE was still hell but I probably would have failed without it.

So I ended up purchasing Baron's book of practice questions and there is so much in this book that wasn't even mentioned in the MPA book. Have you taken the exam yet?
i did take it and i used the 2017 mpa version and it sucked. didnt help at all

ive been using the LARA website my second time around, would u say to purchase barans book? i used only the 2017 mpa the first time and studied for only 5 days and i didnt pass....

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently beginning to study for this exam. I was thinking of utilizing the Acts on the LARA website and was going to purchase the 2018 lecture recording on the MPA website. Anyone think it's also worth purchasing Dr. Baran's book as well? Thoughts on these supplements would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

I took it on the 11th and luckily passed with a 78. You are right it was extremely specific and although Baron helped me so much, I still felt like i guessed on a majority of the questions. That exam really made me question a lot haha. Do you know how long it takes to receive the license in the mail?
So which materials did you end up using?

I used Baron and MPA.
I am using barans study questions, MPA book + video lecture, federal law book by Reiss and pharmacylaw 120 questions. Should this be enough? I did not go to school in Michigan so I have no idea what to study...any advice is EXTREMELY appreciated!

I am using barans study questions, MPA book + video lecture, federal law book by Reiss and pharmacylaw 120 questions. Should this be enough? I did not go to school in Michigan so I have no idea what to study...any advice is EXTREMELY appreciated!
I've heard Reiss is a pretty good source but I didn't use it. I'm not sure about the pharmacy law 120 questions. Honestly, I think you will be fine with these sources. If you need extra help, try to read the actual state laws.

I've heard Reiss is a pretty good source but I didn't use it. I'm not sure about the pharmacy law 120 questions. Honestly, I think you will be fine with these sources. If you need extra help, try to read the actual state laws.
Thank you for your response! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Can anyone clarify if this is true or not regarding the partial fills on C2s in the state? Has the law recently changed from a 72 hour expiration date to a 30 day expiration date for a partially filled C2? And if so, does it change in this scenario: A pharmacy does not have enough of a C2 drug in stock and partially fills the Rx. Does the 30 day expiration window take into effect or the 72 hour expiration window? From the Federal standpoint, it states that if the pharmacy does not have enough in stock, the 72 hour expiration window takes into effect after the initial fill. Is this because this is considered an emergency situation? Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could advise. Thanks!

Can anyone clarify if this is true or not regarding the partial fills on C2s in the state? Has the law recently changed from a 72 hour expiration date to a 30 day expiration date for a partially filled C2? And if so, does it change in this scenario: A pharmacy does not have enough of a C2 drug in stock and partially fills the Rx. Does the 30 day expiration window take into effect or the 72 hour expiration window? From the Federal standpoint, it states that if the pharmacy does not have enough in stock, the 72 hour expiration window takes into effect after the initial fill. Is this because this is considered an emergency situation? Would greatly appreciate it if anyone could advise. Thanks!
From my understanding, if patient or physician requests a partial fill for a C2 pharmacy has 30 days to give remaining but if patient comes in and pharmacy doesn’t have enough on hand to fill the entire prescription then the 72 hour rule still applies.

Did you use any resources for Federal Law specifically? I'm on crunch for time and haven't really had a chance to review Reiss. Please let me know what you used to study federal law.
I didn't use anything for federal law. Those
were the only two resources I used

ive been using the LARA website my second time around, would u say to purchase barans book? i used only the 2017 mpa the first time and studied for only 5 days and i didnt pass....
sorry for the late response but I suggest you ask your friends for the baran notes. more helpful than the questions. but the questions helped me realize what I don't know. that way I went back and read those sections. just read her 2018 notes like 4-5 times and youll pass

Does anyone have a good idea of turn around time application processing for the state? Just submitted my pharmacist application last Wednesday. They stated at least 4-6 weeks or sooner, but I’m curious to know if others have gotten their license sooner?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

sorry for the late response but I suggest you ask your friends for the baran notes. more helpful than the questions. but the questions helped me realize what I don't know. that way I went back and read those sections. just read her 2018 notes like 4-5 times and youll pass
Is Baron a pharmacy professor? Sorry, transfer trying to get licensed and trying to pick out the best state-specific resource. I have the Reiss book for federal.

Hi,
I am trying to get cross licensed to MI. Researching materials to prepare for the MI Mpje. Can you please let me know where you purchased your materials from. Also can you suggest any more study materials?
Thank you,
AZ

Hi,
I am trying to get cross licensed to MI. Researching materials to prepare for the MI Mpje. Can you please let me know where you purchased your materials from. Also can you suggest any more study materials?
Thank you,
AZ

I read the Acts that are on the LARA website, used Dr. Baron's study questions booklet as well as purchased the recorded law review on the MPA website. The study questions are a great tool to master the types of questions you may come across. I studied for about 2-3 weeks for this exam and passed.

I read the Acts that are on the LARA website, used Dr. Baron's study questions booklet as well as purchased the recorded law review on the MPA website. The study questions are a great tool to master the types of questions you may come across. I studied for about 2-3 weeks for this exam and passed.
Hello, I just started to studying for MI MPJE and purchased Baran's question book.. but do you guys know any resources for review book? I found its not easy to have comprehensive understanding only with questions.. Such as,. based on the question its hard for me to know what type of CS OD can prescribe or not.. I am currently practicing in CA and difference in law and regulation makes me so confusing ...
I would greatly appreciate it for any help and info !

Hi,
I have exam in 1 week and I'm doing federal part using Reiss and Hall, pharmacy-exam 1 and 2 question banks, pharmacist manual.
For State I'm using Dr. Barans notes....do I need MPA lecture videos, would I be able to finish them in a week?

Hi,
I have exam in 1 week and I'm doing federal part using Reiss and Hall, pharmacy-exam 1 and 2 question banks, pharmacist manual.
For State I'm using Dr. Barans notes....do I need MPA lecture videos, would I be able to finish them in a week?

I would recommend the MPA law review also. Although, I think they just had a recent 2019 live law review, so it may or may not be updated on the website.

I used that as well as Baran’s review notes, Pharmacist’s Manual, and RxPrep’s MPJE course. Good luck.

I would recommend the MPA law review also. Although, I think they just had a recent 2019 live law review, so it may or may not be updated on the website.
I used that as well as Baran’s review notes, Pharmacist’s Manual, and RxPrep’s MPJE course. Good luck.

MPA law review videos are not available on the website.

quick question...Im takin MPJE in few days ..
Based on Baran's review's answer key, LCTF or terminally ill pt's c2 partial is 30 day from rx written date .. but based on the CS regulation that I read from R338.3166.. is 60 days ..
Could anyone clarify for this scenario? Thank you !

Last edited:
According to a review from a local Michigan Pharmacy School, it says that the 30 day "Supersedes old 60 day rule for nursing home and hospice (MPA source)"

Just passed the Michigan MPJE (thank goodness!). I used the Guide to Federal Law - Reiss and Hall (somewhat helpful), MI Pharmacy Law Review - Baran (very helpful), Michigan Pharmacy Law - Vivian (helpful but wish it had review questions), Michigan Pharmacy Law Simplified - Jalloul and Sveska (excellent!), and Pronto Pass MPJE and Compounding (found the compounding to be helpful to review USP 795,797, and 800). Also used last year's MPA Video review (this year's wasn't available yet when I was studying) and found it a great place to start and very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just passed the Michigan MPJE (thank goodness!). I used the Guide to Federal Law - Reiss and Hall (somewhat helpful), MI Pharmacy Law Review - Baran (very helpful), Michigan Pharmacy Law - Vivian (helpful but wish it had review questions), Michigan Pharmacy Law Simplified - Jalloul and Sveska (excellent!), and Pronto Pass MPJE and Compounding (found the compounding to be helpful to review USP 795,797, and 800). Also used last year's MPA Video review (this year's wasn't available yet when I was studying) and found it a great place to start and very helpful.

Congrats ! I just passed MPJE too and submitted application in LARA..( Im transferring my license from out of state) do you see that they received your score? I have five pending items and just wondering how long it takes for them to receive it.

Congrats ! I just passed MPJE too and submitted application in LARA..( Im transferring my license from out of state) do you see that they received your score? I have five pending items and just wondering how long it takes for them to receive it.
I'm also transferring from out of state. I have four pending items but I just submitted my application to LARA a couple of days ago.

I used Baron and MPA.

when you say you used barans notes, was it the ~89 page pdf form? if so, when studying using that form, she will allude to the section some law is in and give a small descriptor of that section (see attached for example) - would you then look up the corresponding section? or does she do this on areas that dont necessarily need to be looked up? thanks!

anyone else who used barans notes, any insight is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 6.06.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 6.06.16 PM.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 174

thanks for the info! please see my previous post regarding a question about barans notes. also sounds like youd recommend michigan pharmacy law simplified in addition to barans notes?

Taking the MI MPJE from out of state... how can I find Barons Law Review? What other reference materials do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!
So the most your recommend is Michigan pharmacy law simplified? Is it enough with federal pharmacy law and Baran's note only??

hello, where can i get michigan pharmacy law on LARA website. I went there but it's so hard to find a pdf file or something that just has law related to pharmacy.