Michigan or UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nornton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get into both of these schools and I'm having a hard time on deciding where to go, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

As of now, I do not know if I want to specialize, but I'm currently leaning towards being a general dentist.

From what I've been told, UDM offers a better clinical experience while Michigan offers many more opportunities and the name.

- I've heard that some Michigan students struggle to meet their clinical requirements on time. - Could anyone who goes to UofM please tell me about the clinical program and if this is still the case?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Btw I am in state!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UofM.. because it's cheap (if you are in-state). I spoke with a current student at UDM who told me that if I can go to a cheaper school then I should. In student panel on interview day none of the students at Michigan mentioned any difficulty in getting requirements done (they are competency based if I remember it correctly). Michigan's clinics are also getting renovated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're out of state -> UMich
If you're in state -> UMich

Reactions: 3 users
UofM, for the price, the location, the name, and more.

m
Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get into both of these schools and I'm having a hard time on deciding where to go, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

As of now, I do not know if I want to specialize, but I'm currently leaning towards being a general dentist.

From what I've been told, UDM offers a better clinical experience while Michigan offers many more opportunities and the name.

- I've heard that some Michigan students struggle to meet their clinical requirements on time. - Could anyone who goes to UofM please tell me about the clinical program and if this is still the case?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Btw I am in state!

Thank you in advance!

michigan 100%
i went there for undergrad -- great place

the dental school is fantastic as well -- they have a lot of famous faculty. you'll beca great dentist going out of michigan

Reactions: 1 users
UDM offers a better clinical experience while Michigan

some Michigan students struggle to meet their clinical requirements on time

Dang I'm withdrawing.

I have some student contacts at Michigan right now who think the program is great. Either way, all conjecturing about clinical experience is subjective unless there are numbers involved. If you get a dental degree out of your education, the school is probably a good choice if cost is not involved. In order of importance in choosing a school: 1) Cost. 2) The vibe you felt from the surrounding area. 3) Neat extracurriculars or program features, including research options if interested in that.

Given that you are in-state, Michigan is probably like 200k cheaper than UDM, so you don't even have to go to point number 2 or 3.

Reactions: 2 users
I currently assist UMich students at one of their rotation sites. I would say most of the students are awesome. Honestly, I'm pretty confident I'm going to be a great dentist after I graduate from UMich. Our FQHC is also a clinical site for UDM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for all the help!