Michigan Pill Mill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, read the comment one of the readers left. I have little doubt the media is feeding these stories to the public to further erode any last shred of respect people have for physicians, so that the insurance companies and government can control us even more:

"This is not a governement problem, medicare was set up to dispense money, not to completely validate health care. But wait we don't want government invovled in our lives, let Industry police themselves. All business peoploe, doctors, etc are honest. One way is to turn medicare over to Insurance companies, they validate the payments and have to make up any shortfalls or frauds that are discovered by the government. This would be really interesting, but controlled"

See these kinds of things are double edged.

IM docs now will freak out about writing opioids for patients and will try to dumb it on Pain Docs. They will site IM docs like this who have gotten into trouble.

Ridiculous.

The point the IM docs are missing is that guys like these are on the total other end of spectrum. No reason for Pain Medicine trained MDs to ONLY write for opioids..

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think IM docs were allowed to write for controlled substances. They have some kind of time bomb that goes off with the DEA if they write for more than one month's worth of CS. Their DEA numbers must have an asterisk or something.
At least that is what the patients tell me.

"My primary said he would give me my soma and lortab for now but that you would have to do the refills. He said his LICENSE does not allow it. Oh and I took my last pill an hour ago, so I need refills today."

buh bye

i heard about this guy... apparently he wrote more controlled prescriptions (HE, just him, maybe an NP or PA) than the entire University of Michigan...

im not sure how the feds found him...:smuggrin:

The guy said he saw 120 patients a day but the followup articles placed the number seen in the clinic to well over 200. Apparently there were no NPs or PAs or other docs and most of the patients were actually not seen by a practitioner. At 5 million pills over 2 years and 120 patients a day x 5 days a week x 45 weeks, that means each patient was being prescribed approximately 6 tablets per day of all narcotics. Therefore the actual number of pills prescribed during the 2 year period is not the trigger, nor can it be....the DEA does not have the regulatory power to determine the number of pills a physician may prescribe nor the medical appropriateness of such. It was the other activities that caused this guy to get nailed....the failure to act on known drug diversion, failure to see the patients but was charging $150 - $200 per visit, cash practice mainly, parking lot attendant was hired to direct traffic, etc. Lots of red flags suggesting diversion.