Michigan State c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epivetlove

Texas A&M c/o 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this thread has already been created...I couldn't find it on multiple searches. Anyone else throwing in their lot with Michigan this year? :) Just decided to make it my 4th and final choice for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this thread has already been created...I couldn't find it on multiple searches. Anyone else throwing in their lot with Michigan this year? :) Just decided to make it my 4th and final choice for this cycle.

I almost wish I would've sent an app to MSU...though I would've had to take cell bio (which would have been an additional class on my schedule). I'm also applying to 8 schools as-is...(haha expensive I know)

But for those applying, I know someone who got into MSU as an OOS student, so it is indeed possible!

I am contemplating Mich State. They are my possible 5th school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'll be OOS...the only reason I decided to apply was because I was urged by Donna at admissions. She said my SIS is competitive, as are my experiences. I guess we'll just see what happens. :scared:

I believe I'm joining in on this one!

I love Michigan (the state not UM, ew :p), my parents are alums of Michigan State, and the majority of my family is up there... BUT I just cringe every time I look at that OOS tuition.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll be OOS...the only reason I decided to apply was because I was urged by Donna at admissions. She said my SIS is competitive, as are my experiences. I guess we'll just see what happens. :scared:

If you don't mind me asking, what are they considering "competitive"? Is it just the 800 they have listed on their website?

I love Michigan (the state not the school, ew :p), my parents are alums of Michigan State, and the majority of my family is up there... BUT I just cringe every time I look at that OOS tuition.

The OOS tuition is what is making me flip flop between applying and not applying. I am going have to make my decision soon!

I'm an IS student and definitely applying :) Can't wait!

If you don't mind me asking, what are they considering "competitive"? Is it just the 800 they have listed on their website?

My SIS (using Science Pre-Req GPA, Last 3 Semesters, GRE Verbal & Quant, having a Bachelor's or not) was calculated at an 896. But I'm guessing anything over 800 is considered competitive, since that's what they list on the website.

The OOS tuition is what is making me flip flop between applying and not applying. I am going have to make my decision soon!

Yeah...it'll be the most expensive school I'm applying to. But it's the only other one that I think I would have at least some kind of chance at. I've decided it would be worth the price tag...though I'd definitely pick a cheaper option if I somehow miraculously get into more than one school (or any school, lol). ;)

Yeah...it'll be the most expensive school I'm applying to. But it's the only other one that I think I would have at least some kind of chance at. I've decided it would be worth the price tag...though I'd definitely pick a cheaper option if I somehow miraculously get into more than one school (or any school, lol). ;)

This is true :)

Everyone get the invite for the supplemental? I'm so over regurgitating everything that was already put on the VMCAS app...

Everyone get the invite for the supplemental? I'm so over regurgitating everything that was already put on the VMCAS app...

Got mine too... I was freaking out that I deleted it by accident. I feel you on the whole repeating yourself thing... At least I already know what I am going to say :D

I wouldn't mind the repetition except that I feel like I need to make it sound different even though I'm just saying the same things over and over again. I'm so excited for this to be over soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just glad this supplemental is mostly confirmation of VMCAS information, and I don't have to spend time just reentering VMCAS information in slightly different formats. A couple of the essays don't apply to me, and for the rest I can rework some essays I used for other supplementals. Overall, this is one of the less painful supplemental applications of the 9 or 10 I've done.

Maybe they are just doing it in order of getting all materials in? I got the supplemental today, but I submitted VMCAS on like Aug 27th.

Looks like WulfpackChica is right. MSU CVM's website was updated today to say:

"Supplemental Applications will be sent out electronically throughout the month of October and perhaps into November. Supplementals will be sent out in batches as we receive verified files from VMCAS."

So the people who applied earlier through VMCAS probably received their supplemental in the first batch.

Looks like WulfpackChica is right. MSU CVM's website was updated today to say:

"Supplemental Applications will be sent out electronically throughout the month of October and perhaps into November. Supplementals will be sent out in batches as we receive verified files from VMCAS."

So the people who applied earlier through VMCAS probably received their supplemental in the first batch.

:thumbup: Just got the email for the supplemental :)

Does it look bad to put that the essay doesn't apply to you?? I have no agriculture background but I didn't know if just writing "not applicable" for that one would be a bad decision.

Does it look bad to put that the essay doesn't apply to you?? I have no agriculture background but I didn't know if just writing "not applicable" for that one would be a bad decision.

Well, if you have no food animal/ agricultural experience then what would you write about? If it doesn't apply to you then it doesn't apply to you. There's nothing wrong with that.

MSU in my IS, so I'm definitely applying. I am currently working on the supplemental, and as always am second guessing every sentence I write and wondering if I'm even doing it correctly... but I'm sure lots of you do the same :p Good luck to everyone!

:thumbdown: Super not excited about these essays with such a short deadline. It's probably to make you not overanalyze them and just answer the question, but I'm going crazy and I have a few tests this week.

At least it's my last one!!!!

Dumb question, but do you think equine experience can count for the "Agricultural background and/or food animal/food systems experience and interest. How did these experiences impact you, affect your education, and how will they make you a better veterinarian" prompt? Some of the vet work I did was on farms and I volunteered at a sanctuary...

Dumb question, but do you think equine experience can count for the "Agricultural background and/or food animal/food systems experience and interest. How did these experiences impact you, affect your education, and how will they make you a better veterinarian" prompt? Some of the vet work I did was on farms and I volunteered at a sanctuary...

You can call and ask. But, I guess you can write what you want. If it's applicable, you well get points added to your SIS- if it is not, you won't.

sblove17, If the equine work can be connected to agriculture, yes. But it also sounds like you have other experience with food animals, so definitely put that :)

So.. with these questions is the goal to elaborate on one or two experiences, or to try to talk about everything applicable to each prompt? I've covered a lot of these questions in my personal statement and experience section, so I thought it would be more beneficial to talk about one experience per question. psilovethomas mentioned that they will use these questions to add points to the SIS.. so now I'm wondering if I should be trying to cram everything into each question...?

For example, are you guys touching on all of your vet experiences in the "depth of vet experience" prompt and what you learned from each.. or making general statements about the variety of experience that you have and how that impacted your education, your future career as a vet, etc etc,.. and with the diversity one... talking about a particular experience.. or if you have multiple than addressing each one? My only problem is that I think with such a small character limit, I won't be able to go into any more depth than what I've already said in my app unless I just focus on one thing....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

So.. with these questions is the goal to elaborate on one or two experiences, or to try to talk about everything applicable to each prompt? I've covered a lot of these questions in my personal statement and experience section, so I thought it would be more beneficial to talk about one experience per question. psilovethomas mentioned that they will use these questions to add points to the SIS.. so now I'm wondering if I should be trying to cram everything into each question...?

For example, are you guys touching on all of your vet experiences in the "depth of vet experience" prompt and what you learned from each.. or making general statements about the variety of experience that you have and how that impacted your education, your future career as a vet, etc etc,.. and with the diversity one... talking about a particular experience.. or if you have multiple than addressing each one? My only problem is that I think with such a small character limit, I won't be able to go into any more depth than what I've already said in my app unless I just focus on one thing....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I was wondering the same thing. I might call tomorrow and ask.

I was wondering the same thing. I might call tomorrow and ask.

If you do end up calling tomorrow, please let me know what you find out! They won't be open anymore by the time I get off work.. and Monday is the day that we are under-staffed so highly unlikely I will get a chance to call:scared:

If you do end up calling tomorrow, please let me know what you find out! They won't be open anymore by the time I get off work.. and Monday is the day that we are under-staffed so highly unlikely I will get a chance to call:scared:

:thumbup: Ditto, please share! I will appreciate it :)

I don't think they're looking for a laundry list of your experiences. "Breadth and depth of veterinary and/or animal experiences" is the general topic, and the prompt is just "how did these experiences impact you, affect your education, and how will they make you a better veterinarian." As in, how did your breadth and depth of experiences impact you, affect your education, and how will they make you a better veterinarian. For this question, I used two of my most important vet/ animal experiences (working at a stable and animal shelter, which demonstrates breadth and depth), and used them to answer the prompt.

900 characters with spaces is only really enough for two short paragraphs. So, try to be brief!

Everyone submitted? I hit submit a whole... 29 minutes before it was due... man o man...

Just hit submit!

And wow, I probably would have been panicking with the deadline that close!

Yea... I set my alarm for 3 hours before it was due.. proceeded to sleep through my alarm (which I never do) and woke up an hour before it was due.. So I took a half hour to do some last little edits that I planned to do before submitting. I was a little stressed to say the least :eek:

Yea... I set my alarm for 3 hours before it was due.. proceeded to sleep through my alarm (which I never do) and woke up an hour before it was due.. So I took a half hour to do some last little edits that I planned to do before submitting. I was a little stressed to say the least :eek:

I think we might be the same person. This is what I was planning on doing (mine is due at 1 pm today) haha. After reading this though I think I'm going to just crank it out now :oops:

Is anyone else having trouble getting the supplemental web page to load? I can't open it at all. :(

MSU's Admission website says that decisions will be sent out November-March, but because next week is shorter due to the holiday, I'm guessing that we won't be hearing anything in November. Hopefully early December!

Last time I applied, I did not hear back until December.

Also, if it's of any use, I believe acceptances are sent out via e-mail AND snail mail. Rejections are just snail mail. At least that's what happened last year I think.

I don't think Michigan sent out any invites until the first week of December last year. I got my acceptance email the first week of dec and received a letter in the mail a week or two later. They sent out acceptance emails every other Friday through March I believe.

Does anyone know how many points you can get based on how much experience you have?

Does anyone know how many points you can get based on how much experience you have?

I believe you get 50 points in addition to your SIS for each of the supplemental essays the committee feels you are strong in. If you have a lot of large animal/agricultural experience, you'd get 50 points for that. Diversity? 50 points. Lacking in all essay areas? No points. I guess that means that if you are not so good at expressing yourself in essay format, you might not get any additional points. When I met with the dean, she said the average admitted applicant has an SIS of somewhere around 900-950 BEFORE the supplemental is taken into account. Hope this helps!

Feels like we should hear from Michigan soon....... right?? I wish I knew soon, because if it's a no go, I'm not going to take cell bio in the spring (save some money), but if it's a yes, gotta take it.......ugh, the waiting game. Everyone hanging in there?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think we'll hear in order of supplemental batches? Hanging in there the best I can! If you go to MSU, I recommend taking eukaryotic cell bio in the summer if you are able.

Do you think we'll hear in order of supplemental batches? Hanging in there the best I can! If you go to MSU, I recommend taking eukaryotic cell bio in the summer if you are able.
I'm OOS. I hadn't thought about the supplemental batches.... that's a thought. If so, I was in first supp batch.