You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!
Started by Annamalita
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
2nd-time around for me. This is my IS/undergrad. They don't want me lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear, but hey so many people are re-applicants. The second time around they should be more convinced 🙂 Good luck!2nd-time around for me. This is my IS/undergrad. They don't want me lol.
Heads up: MSU is doing multiple mini interviews (MMIs) this year.
Yeah, I was kinda bummed they just implemented it this year. Interviews make me so nervous!Heads up: MSU is doing multiple mini interviews (MMIs) this year.
plus it'll prolong the decision process, I assume
I'm applying!! I made my research mentor a deal (She's a Michigan grad) that the only way she would let me apply to Ohio State was if I applied to a Michigan school.....It may not be HER Michigan, but she thinks its better than Ohio State 😉
Thanks for the positivity! And I sure hope so. In state tuition would be great.Sorry to hear, but hey so many people are re-applicants. The second time around they should be more convinced 🙂 Good luck!
Hi,
Can anyone provide some insight into what questions they ask on the supplemental.
Thanks
Can anyone provide some insight into what questions they ask on the supplemental.
Thanks
This is from MSU's website:
Two CVM faculty review the Supplemental Application and the VMCAS Application. They review the file to add value to the SIS based on five non-academic criteria which are:
Two CVM faculty review the Supplemental Application and the VMCAS Application. They review the file to add value to the SIS based on five non-academic criteria which are:
- Breadth and Depth of Animal and Veterinary experiences through time of application (future experiences are not considered)
- Agricultural background and/or Food Animal Experience
- Diverse background such as gained from cultural, career, or community service experiences
- Research Experience
- Socio-Economic (Family/Financial/Cultural) challenges or hardships that you have overcome while obtaining your education and how you overcame these
so we don't have to write additional essays for the supplemental?
We had essays for the last cycle. It wasn't too bad though; I think there were four or five, and you didn't have to answer all of them.so we don't have to write additional essays for the supplemental?
They aren't even 'essays' either, more like a paragraph. Wasn't it 500 characters max last year?
Thanks, it helps to know what to expect.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's 900 characters this year, but it's very easily doable. I love love love that they're not making us rewrite all our VMCAS information on the supplemental. It's all there waiting for you to confirm it and you just have to answer the "essay" questions. 😀
^^ how do you know its 900 characters? Have you gotten it already?
ohhh darn I havent submitted my VMCAS yet. When did you submit yours?
Another thing on the supplementals:
Don't feel like you have to answer every single one and don't try to fabricate experience for one of them (unless you do have experience in all of them!). For mine, I only filled out 3 of the 5 offered.
And also, don't forget the 900 character limit! But, like Felixor90 said, it is doable. 🙂
Don't feel like you have to answer every single one and don't try to fabricate experience for one of them (unless you do have experience in all of them!). For mine, I only filled out 3 of the 5 offered.
And also, don't forget the 900 character limit! But, like Felixor90 said, it is doable. 🙂
ohhh darn I havent submitted my VMCAS yet. When did you submit yours?
I submitted it in late June.
damnnnn lol
good job!
good job!
damnnnn lol
good job!
I'm just the type that can't sit on paperwork for days. I have to finish things right away. I finished the supplemental an hour after I got it too. 😛
First round of interviews is Oct 21. Say what?! Good luck guys! There will be interview dates in December, and some TBA early in 2015. Let me know if you have any questions about MSU, the application, or supplemental.
First round of interviews is Oct 21. Say what?! Good luck guys! There will be interview dates in December, and some TBA early in 2015. Let me know if you have any questions about MSU, the application, or supplemental.
How do you know this? :O
admissions websiteHow do you know this? :O
Just spoke to them and it looks like the first batch of applicants that got their supplemental last week will be allowed to pick their interview dates soon (if they have a 790+ SIS). So nervous, yet excited at the same time. I'll most likely be picking the October 21st date.
Did they tell you that everyone over 790 gets an interview?Just spoke to them and it looks like the first batch of applicants that got their supplemental last week will be allowed to pick their interview dates soon (if they have a 790+ SIS). So nervous, yet excited at the same time. I'll most likely be picking the October 21st date.
Yes. I specifically asked who would be getting an interview and I was told that everyone who submits the supplemental and makes it through the 790 SIS cut will get an interview.Did they tell you that everyone over 790 gets an interview?
And a glimmer of hope becomes apparent...that's awesome news. I'm assuming it's 790 after they add any additional points you earn from your supplemental (even though they've told me maybe 3-5 people per class actually get points from the supplemental). However, I'm over 790 without needing any boost! PLEASE let this be my year!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And a glimmer of hope becomes apparent...that's awesome news. I'm assuming it's 790 after they add any additional points you earn from your supplemental (even though they've told me maybe 3-5 people per class actually get points from the supplemental). However, I'm over 790 without needing any boost! PLEASE let this be my year!
Unfortunately that's not the case. That's just a 790 academic SIS. The points from the supplemental get added in after the first round of cuts.
Edit: Here's the quote from their admissions page. "A minimum SIS of 790 is required in order to proceed to step-2 of our selection process."
Step 2 is the part where they add in the points from the supplemental.
Well, I'll make that first cut according to the calculator on the website! So to clarify, according to what they told you, anyone who passes the academic cut gets an interview? Or do you also have to pass the 2nd cut?Unfortunately that's not the case. That's just a 790 academic SIS. The points from the supplemental get added in after the first round of cuts.
Edit: Here's the quote from their admissions page. "A minimum SIS of 790 is required in order to proceed to step-2 of our selection process."
Step 2 is the part where they add in the points from the supplemental.
Still finalizing my PS and trying to rack up more hours (I'm full time in a vet hospital, so every week counts lol). But I am so excited about this, thank you for sharing this information! I've always thought I'd never have a chance with this school on paper, so hopefully I do in fact get an interview.
To be quite honest I thought MSU would be a bit easier to get into "on paper." They focus on your last 35 and science GPA and don't take your cumulative into account. That's easier for those of us that really improved towards the end. I can't wait to visit the school for the interview. 🙂 Do take into account that the longer you wait to submit your VMCAS, the longer it will take for them to give you the supplemental and interview date. From what I've heard, they start evaluating the ones that already submitted everything already. Don't rush your PS, but do try to get it done asap so you're not dead last to be interviewed.
Remember that we get to pick our interview date. It's good to have options. 🙂
Remember that we get to pick our interview date. It's good to have options. 🙂
Well my science is a bit low. My cumulative is where the money's at, and my last 3 semesters are about average. I'm hoping to submit within the next week or two depending on how comfortable I am with my PS.
Do you know if they're doing rolling admissions or if they're waiting until the last interviews to make decisions?
I've heard different things from different sources. They're doing the mini interviews for the first time this year so nobody really knows what to expect. My hopes are for rolling admissions since I'd know my outcome next month and would cancel at least 3 of my other applications if I got in.
I want them to send the next batch of supplementals so that I can get that over with! I submitted my VMCAS the 1st of Sept and it hasn't been verified yet and I'm still waiting on one ELOR.
sigh...
They JUST verified it today 🙂 so that's good newsYou won't receive your supplemental until they get your VMCAS app, which is after it gets verified. Looks like you'll be waiting for a while. :/
So it looks like supplementals will be emailed in the middle of this month. Has anyone gotten a "Thank you for applying" email? I know we got one last year, I just don't remember when they sent it.
Just submitted my application tonight! Gotta wait for that supplement and then sit on crossed fingers until interviews 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it looks like supplementals will be emailed in the middle of this month. Has anyone gotten a "Thank you for applying" email? I know we got one last year, I just don't remember when they sent it.
I got my "thank you" email Tuesday....it said the supplemental would be sent this week when they get all my letters
Okay, so everyone with an SIS over a 790 gets an interview. Once you get an interview does this mean that grades and GRE scores are no longer a factor at that point?
I looked into this the other day and according to their website, "Final selection is based on a combination of the SIS, evidence of significant accomplishments in one or more of the above listed non-academic criteria, and performance in the Multiple-Mini Interview." So it sounds like the interview is just another factor in their decision.
When did you submit your VMCAS/send your GRE??I got my "thank you" email Tuesday....it said the supplemental would be sent this week when they get all my letters
Edit: On second thought, is it safe to assume you have been verified for a while? I was just verified yesterday, so now I'm being impatient haha
Did you get verified yet?I want them to send the next batch of supplementals so that I can get that over with! I submitted my VMCAS the 1st of Sept and it hasn't been verified yet and I'm still waiting on one ELOR.sigh...
No, because your grades and GRE ARE your SIS.Okay, so everyone with an SIS over a 790 gets an interview. Once you get an interview does this mean that grades and GRE scores are no longer a factor at that point?