Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry that your post got buried. Here ya go! It might take a while to get approved into the group.is there a Facebook group for the class of 2020?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1733704183511265/
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Sorry that your post got buried. Here ya go! It might take a while to get approved into the group.is there a Facebook group for the class of 2020?
I decided to turn down MSU for very similar reasons. You're not alone!I know it can be really hard to understand from financial perspective. I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but for me I knew I really wouldn't be happy here, and that's what mattered to me. My situation is probably unique compared to others, but I thought really hard about the fact that I'd be spending 4 years wherever I chose to go and the thought of being here didn't sit well. I don't want to hate vet school. It's going to be hard enough without disliking the institution I've chosen. Sometimes I wish I could just ignore that and pick the cheap school because I'd love to be able to save all that money for IS tuition! Maybe it would've been different if I'd gotten accepted right away instead of wait listed, but I just don't have a desire to go here. And who knows? Maybe I'd end up being really happy here, I just don't think that's likely after being here for 4.5 years and already desperately wanting to leave. Yeah it's a lot of extra debt, but I didn't want to pick a school just because it was cheaper. I can only assume there are others that feel the same way.
Just trying to help others understand 😉 Money may be the deciding factor for most people, but for others of us it's much more complicated. I promise we're not crazy (or crazy rich), we just have some different priorities!

Can I ask if you were #17 to start or #17 after April 15th?In case anyone was wondering, the waitlist was moving quite a bit last week. I got my offer Thursday (4/21), I was #17 on the out of state waitlist and accepted.![]()
Can anyone give advice on nice neighborhoods around East Lansing and surrounding areas? I'm from Ohio so I have no idea where to even start looking for places to stay. I'd like to either rent or buy a house, I've got 2 dogs, 2 cats and a fiancé joining me so I don't think an apartment is an option. I'd like to be no more than 30 minutes from the school if possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You'll be using your laptop all the time. Very few people take handwritten notes during class. Your exams will also be on your laptop. A good portion of my class has the Surface, so I don't think it's really necessary for you to buy an entirely new laptop since you just bought that one.Can any current students give me advice on whether or not I should buy a new laptop for school? My old laptop died so last year I bought a surface 3 tablet, it has an attachable keyboard and can also function as a computer (I've written a few papers on it). The only problem with it is that the screen isn't super large so if I have work on it for more than a couple hours it'll be annoying. Do any current students use a computer/laptop a lot or is most of the work just studying from printed notes/textbook?
Oh, adding on to the laptop thing, is there a general consensus on Mac or PC being better? I need to buy a new laptop for next year anyways, and I was thinking of sticking with Mac, but I know a lot of people use and like PC for some accessibility reasons. I've also been thinking about a tablet/iPad and how useful that would be with studying. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated 🙂
From my experience, Echo360 works much better on macs. I'm convinced their developers coded the webpage on macs because the shortcut commands do not work on any of the windows computers I've tried it on. Most people will do 90% of their studying by rewatching lectures on Echo so I'd say that alone is worth going the Apple route. Aside from that, I got my first mac ever right before starting last year and I'm now a full mac convert.
About the Surface computers...a ton of my classmates use those, and most of them agree that they hate it. One of my classmates gave up on using hers out of frustration halfway through the semester and just switched to taking notes on her iPad instead. I've never owned one and I'm sure you could use it just fine so I wouldn't recommend replacing it if you don't have to, but if anyone's interested in getting a new computer for school, I would advice to stay away from them based on what I've seen my classmates go through.
Hi fellow classmates! I'm new to SDN and don't even know how to work this site yet haha but I have been following this thread for quite some time. Very excited to meet all of you🙂
I have a question about living on campus in Owen Hall (for grad/professional students.) Do you know any vet med students who live/lived there and what their experience was like? I am concerned that the environment might not be conducive to studying and the last thing I want is loud noise/distractions/more stress. Other than that, it would be the most ideal option for me as I won't have a car (it's ~5 min walking distance to the vet school) and I also cannot afford to rent an apartment the first year. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I know a few students that live there. Although it can get loud - especially during football/party season - you always have the option of studying at the vet school. You'll get 24/7 keycard access so you can go to the reading room or student center and study there whenever you'd like.
Can any current students give me advice on ways to qualify for in state tuition? The registrars office was zero help. Did any of you move to Michigan with a spouse and then were able to receive in state tuition after a year? My fiancé and I are both from Ohio and will be moving to Michigan in August and he will be working full time as a physician assistant while I'm a full time student. Do we need to be married before we move to Michigan in August? The registrars office made it sound like it was the most complicated process in the world and could literally answer none of my questions, I understand that every case is different but there have to be some set rules about this. Anyone go through a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Does anyone know anything about DTN Management's "breed restrictions" for renting? I assume it has to do with bully breeds, but I'd like to know before I go and ask them myself on Tuesday. I'm ready to give them a speech if I have to.
I live in a DTN community now and their restrictions are of the "bully breeds", as ridiculous as that is. Attached is a picture of the restrictions. First one listed was doberman (not shown). I don't know if this applies to all of their complexes though.Does anyone know anything about DTN Management's "breed restrictions" for renting? I assume it has to do with bully breeds, but I'd like to know before I go and ask them myself on Tuesday. I'm ready to give them a speech if I have to.
Also, I do know a couple of friends who had their vets change the breed to a "Mix" of some sort and DTN didn't question it, but obviously that would be up to you if you decided to risk that.Does anyone know anything about DTN Management's "breed restrictions" for renting? I assume it has to do with bully breeds, but I'd like to know before I go and ask them myself on Tuesday. I'm ready to give them a speech if I have to.
Can any current students give me advice on ways to qualify for in state tuition? The registrars office was zero help. Did any of you move to Michigan with a spouse and then were able to receive in state tuition after a year? My fiancé and I are both from Ohio and will be moving to Michigan in August and he will be working full time as a physician assistant while I'm a full time student. Do we need to be married before we move to Michigan in August? The registrars office made it sound like it was the most complicated process in the world and could literally answer none of my questions, I understand that every case is different but there have to be some set rules about this. Anyone go through a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
There are two ceremonies; one is in August before you start, and one is before you start clinics.Got the orientation schedule for August, so the white coat ceremony is during orientation? Its not when we start clinicals? I saw some other schools wait until the start of clinicals in the third year or around then. Just want to double check so I can invite family, etc.
Really? So it's the same ceremony, twice?There are two ceremonies; one is in August before you start, and one is before you start clinics.
No. You get a white coat during the first ceremony, but it's more of a "welcome" type thing. The second ceremony is your transition ceremony into clinics. You get your nicer second white coat at that time.Really? So it's the same ceremony, twice?
Awesome, thanks!No. You get a white coat during the first ceremony, but it's more of a "welcome" type thing. The second ceremony is your transition ceremony into clinics. You get your nicer second white coat at that time.
I asked this question at the financial aid talk on interview weekend -Can any current students give me advice on ways to qualify for in state tuition? The registrars office was zero help. Did any of you move to Michigan with a spouse and then were able to receive in state tuition after a year? My fiancé and I are both from Ohio and will be moving to Michigan in August and he will be working full time as a physician assistant while I'm a full time student. Do we need to be married before we move to Michigan in August? The registrars office made it sound like it was the most complicated process in the world and could literally answer none of my questions, I understand that every case is different but there have to be some set rules about this. Anyone go through a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Wow, two ceremonies? That's kind of cool! Is is common for family members to attend the first one (during August orientation)? My parents want to attend, but I don't want to make them to come all the way from CA if it's just an informal welcome ceremony 😉No. You get a white coat during the first ceremony, but it's more of a "welcome" type thing. The second ceremony is your transition ceremony into clinics. You get your nicer second white coat at that time.
Wow, two ceremonies? That's kind of cool! Is is common for family members to attend the first one (during August orientation)? My parents want to attend, but I don't want to make them to come all the way from CA if it's just an informal welcome ceremony 😉
Is there a limit to the number of people we can invite to the ceremony?
There was talk of making the scholarship portal available before classes start in August, but if that doesn't happen, you'll hear more about that in early September. The awards will be applied to the spring semester. There will be a second chance for scholarships during the spring semester that will apply to the following fall semester. And no, there aren't need-based scholarships, at least to my knowledge.For incoming students, when does the scholarship database become available? Are the awards applied to the Fall cycle? and does the college offer need-based scholarships? Thanks 🙂
Omg I just got my acceptance email! I'm off the waitlist and coming to MSU!!
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.