Michigan State!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydneycider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any posts about Michigan State, so I'm starting one! Just got my acceptance letter today in the mail (1/29)!! Woohoo!

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome, congratulations!! For some reason I didn't think Michigan let applicants know until late Feb. Are you IS or OOS? :)

I got mine in the mail today too!! Im from NY=)...totally wasnt expecting to hear from them until mid feb-march bc thats what they told me when I called admissions. Goodluck to everyone waiting to hear back!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ah! now i'm super super nervous! i want mine! congrats you guys! :)

did anyone in-state get a letter or is this all OOS people?

*sigh* just saw this post and was like omg i haven't checked my mail today.. major let down, just a victoria's secret catalog oh the pain hah :p

me too! I'm OOS (IL).

Congrats to everyone! :)

ahhh!! okay, CONGRATS guys :thumbup: did the letter come to your permanent address (vs. mailing address)? if it did, i have to start calling my parents 57 times a day to double-triple check that they've gotten the mail for the day...ha.

hey guys,

those of you who got your acceptances already, what were your SIS scores (that is, if you remember them...)?

I dont really know what my SIS score was, I never calculated it or was told. And the letter arrived at my permanent address.

Received my acceptance letter yesterday.
I'm IS with a fairly high SIS score (never bothered to calculate it exactly).
Congratulations to those who also received acceptances, and best of luck to those still waiting...

Just got my acceptance letter too :) Sooooo excited, esp since its my first acceptance after 3 rejections and a forced withdrawal (due to not having completed enough prerequisites... Grr Western!)

Does anyone know if Michigan has a informational meeting at the campus like I know Cornell does?? I'd really like the chance to visit the school and meet some potential classmates!

I think this batch of acceptances is probably the so-called "auto-admits"...the ones with exceptionally high SIS scores who are accepted primarily based upon a great gpa/gre score, and an acceptable file review. according to the website, these acceptances compose no more than 60% of the class...so there's still hope for the rest of us :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ran home from work on my lunch break and found an acceptance letter in my mailbox! I'm OOS, and I calculated my SIS score to be 937 for anyone wondering. Also, the letter came to my mailing address (PA), as opposed to my permanent address (NY). Congrats everyone!

OMG! I just got my acceptance letter too! I think my SIS score was pretty high too. Congrats to everyone who got in!

dont even get me started about western's pre reqs...

i looked on the website and tried calculating my SIS score and I thinkkkk I got around a 938. might be a little off.

goodluck to those still waiting...got my fingers crossed for you guys!!

i just got my acceptance letter too! i am IS, SIS ~925-935, and the letter was sent to my mailing address, not my permanent address.

congrats everyone!!

I got mine 1/28, IS. I had a pretty high SIS too, so I'd bet that the hypothesis that this is the auto-admit group is probably right. I was going on the late feb/early march date that someone else had posted, so when I got the packet in the mail, it took me completely by surprise!

Oh, and hi. I've lurked around SDN, but never posted until now because I figured getting involved would probably work me into more of a worried frenzy than I was already in.

No such luck for me... just got back in town from my Iowa interview and nothing in the mail box but my W-2's haha.

Does anyone know when they are going to send out either:
a. more acceptances (if they haven't finished already)
b. interview invites
c. rejection letters

Do you think that it is still going to be in mid feb early march?

I can't stand this waiting!

No such luck for me... just got back in town from my Iowa interview and nothing in the mail box but my W-2's haha.

Does anyone know when they are going to send out either:
a. more acceptances (if they haven't finished already)
b. interview invites
c. rejection letters

Do you think that it is still going to be in mid feb early march?

I can't stand this waiting!

i don't think they're doing interviews. last year they did like, one or two, if any. i think this year will probably be the same. and i wouldn't count on getting anything before mid-feb...last year when they sent out the auto-admit acceptances, it was another month before the rest of the people heard anything. i feel your pain with the waiting though! i'm going crazy! =\

The website said that they just sent out the first round and to expect letters between mid feb and mid march

I received mine today, but will be declining. Good luck guys! :xf:

I just got an acceptance letter to Michigan State! I'm going to vet school!!! I can't believe it! I'm OOS, and I do not have an incredible SIS score like everyone else who has posted, I think mine was around 820 or something. Good luck everybody else! I hope you all get in.

congratulations everyone who got in! :bow: I'm still waiting, but seeing how my SIS is in the mid 800s, scubblescully's acceptance gives me hope.

For those that got acceptances, could you tell those that are nervously waiting (like myself) what kind of envelope it was sent in/ if the "status" page given to them from the supplemental changed.

Again, congrats!! I hope I hear good news from at least one school this year, especially from Michigan State, which has always been one of my top OOS choices.

For those still waiting to hear from MSU, I wanted to let you know that I just declined my (OOS) acceptance. I hope one of you gets my spot! :luck:

To answer the above questions - mine came in a large (like 9x12-ish) off-white envelope with a green border. And I lost the link for the supplemental tracking page, so unfortunately I can't tell you if my status changed at all, sorry!

Good luck everyone!!

Last edited:
I too have been lurking around SDN for a while. Hello Everyone! Received my acceptance on 1/29. Really excited to get to meet some new people!

could any current vet MSU-ers lurking around SDN be so kind enough to tells us a little more about the school and what it is like to be a student there? :) I'm having trouble finding much info from the website and it doesnt seem like theres any information session for accepted students...

No news here (and no change on my applicant portal).

For those accepted (yay! congrats!), if you feel like telling the rest of us whether anything changed on your portal, here's the link.

Nothing changed on mine (I was accepted). It looks like there are still a number of acceptances left to give out so I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't heard anything.:)

i second the request for MSU info from someone who is there already :)

also, i was wondering if MSU usually does any sort of accepted students weekend? i don't see anything on their website, but perhaps i'm not looking in the right places...

I emailed Michigan State the other day about when I could come see the school. They said that they are working on an open house type weekend and should send out information in a few weeks on that. They also have some Vetavisit weekend or something like that? But it sounds like that is open to the general public. I really want to see the school because it sounds great!

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted!!! :highfive:

What is it like to be a student here? Busy! I'm in 4th semester and my class is carrying 21 credits (7 required classes that everyone takes and 1 selective). IIRC, first semester was 19 credits - your first classes will be anatomy, histology, microbiology/immunology, ethics, animal science, and animal handling. No selectives until 4th semester unfortunately. There's lots of different clubs you can be involved in with some really cool wet labs.

You'll be assigned a "big sib" in the class of 2013 so you'll have someone who's already been through 1st year to help you along. For my class (2012) and 2013, the Friday and Saturday before classes start is orientation weekend. Friday is student and family orientation and Friday night is the white coat ceremony. Saturday is some fun team-building activities that help you get to know your classmates! I expect it will the same for the class of 2014 but the class of 2013 is handling your orientation.

Vet-A-Visit is our open house for the general public. However, it is staffed completely by student volunteers - we plan it and run it with faculty guidance. No, you won't be able to get information about financial aid or anything like that but you can tour the school - there'll be exhibits everywhere from all of our clubs as well as a few outside exhibitors. You can also attend student panels, where you can learn about life as a vet student. If you want to come, it's 3/27/10 (Saturday) from 9a - 4pm.

Hope this helps! I don't always have time to check SDN so feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

soo... getting antsy over here to say the least, does anyone have any idea when the next round of acceptances will go out im feeling :scared: about getting accepted..

soo... getting antsy over here to say the least, does anyone have any idea when the next round of acceptances will go out im feeling :scared: about getting accepted..

the website says mid february to mid march, and seeing as how MSU isn't exactly on top of things with their admissions, i wouldn't expect anything until mid march.

Congrats to all accepted!!

I figured I'd post my "pros and cons" of MSU list here for people to see while I'm procrastinating on studying for parasitology. If any of you have any other questions about the school, please shoot me an email...my address is [email protected] and I'd be happy to answer. I might even be one of your big sibs!!

I'm an out of stater myself so some of these pros and cons may not apply to Michiganders...

+++++ Only 2.5 years of classroom and 1.5 years of clinics!! Lots of clinic rotations available
+ Cheaper housing then you will find on the two coasts ($300-600 per month)
+ On campus large and small animal hospital which allow you to attend rounds and walk around freely (great large animal doctors)
+ Contracts with a large dairy close to campus where you can shadow on the weekends- Green Meadows Dairy
+ Lots of clubs and free lunches
+ Full size anatomy and histology lab where you dissect dogs, horses and cows with specimens from sheep and pigs
++ One FULL YEAR of anatomy as opposed to one semester...trust me, it makes things stick more
+ On campus farms including beef, sheep, horses, poultry and swine where you have a first semester animal handling class
+ Largeeee undergrad campus so lots and lots of nearby shopping
+ Public transport available (buses) and close to campus parking
+ Lots of bars and things to do in East Lansing and Lansing (which is the capital)
+ Detroit 1- 1.5 hours away if you need to get to an airport etc.
+ On campus Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health (DCPAH) that has a HUGE necropsy floor for those interested in pathology
+ Wildlife ward and nearby Potter Park zoo
+ Collaboration with medical and law schools for social events
+ Lots of scholarships available for in and out of state students
+ Lots of summer research PAID opportunities, some externships and study abroad to India/Egypt etc.

- Cannot establish in state residency unless you marry
- Some of the arrangements not ideal (sometimes you have lecture in the cafeteria, but not often, and your entire first semester takes place in the medical school except for labs)
- Not many alpacas! :p
- Cold and rainy often, not much sunlight
- Expensive out of state tuition
- Economy in MI is suffering right now, so there are budget cuts being considered (although this is probably happening to some degree everywhere...)
- Large animal case load is not as big as it may be in Texas, Missouri, Kansas, etc...

Hope that helps! Good luck to everyone else!!

I wouldn't expect letters on the sooner end of the time frame. My letter was waiting for me in my mailbox when I got back from spring break last year which was mid-March.

Still waiting patiently anyway!

ahhh i almost just had a heart attack seeing this thread get bumped lol.. the anticipation :scared:

MSU seems to do things really oddly - why tell a few people all at once and then make everyone else wait until way later? They should just roll it. Good luck everyone who hasn't heard yet, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

For anyone who is really wanting to see the school. I emailed asking about possibly getting a tour on a Saturday or something and I was told they are planning a Welcome Day on March 26 where there will be tours and some other information I think. They said if that didn't work for people there will be a tour on March 24 around noon. So I guess those are our main options. Unfortunately they are both week days which is unfortunate. Good luck to everybody waiting to hear!

fyi MSU might be a bit slow also because one of the admissions advisors passed away a couple of weeks ago and they aren't going to replace her right now soo letters might come out on the later side of things..

fyi MSU might be a bit slow also because one of the admissions advisors passed away a couple of weeks ago and they aren't going to replace her right now soo letters might come out on the later side of things..

Claudette wasn't involved in admissions at all, i don't think...she was an undergraduate advisor, but i don't think she had an influence on the decisions. of course, i could be wrong, but that was the impression i had.

My letter was waiting for me in my mailbox when I got back from spring break last year which was mid-March.

My understanding is that MSU either gives you an offer or they automatically place you on their "alternate list," is this correct? Did your letter last year indicate your position on the list?

Does anyone have an idea how many alternates usually end up with offers?

Wasabiii,

Its sort of like that. I don't think it was technically "You're on an alternate list", but it wasn't a definite no either. I don't have the letter in front of me, but they did not give me a ranking. However, we did some prying because my brother had been living up there and we wanted to know if we should keep his place for me... but I didn't end up getting in anyway.

Hoping for better results this year lol.

Hey everybody, I just thought I would finally join SDN so I could comment... You guys really keep me updated on what's going on with admissions so I thought I could do the same for you!

I just got my acceptance letter Tuesday (2/23) and it was dated inside February 18th... It came to my school address here at MSU, NOT to my permanent address, in the already described white w/green border oversized envelope.

Hope that helps! :) Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Hey everybody, I just thought I would finally join SDN so I could comment... You guys really keep me updated on what's going on with admissions so I thought I could do the same for you!

I just got my acceptance letter Tuesday (2/23) and it was dated inside February 18th... It came to my school address here at MSU, NOT to my permanent address, in the already described white w/green border oversized envelope.

nothing here :thumbdown: boo

I wonder when OOS will hear then?

I guess I'll continue to play the waiting game as normal... if I don't expect it til next month and it comes earlier... SURPRISE! If not, no disappointment (yet).

do you happen to know what your SIS score was? was it extremely high (above 900) as all the other admits so far have been?