Michigan State!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My SIS (as well I could calculate) was a 951.. But it seems like a range of SIS's have gotten in so far so I wouldn't count yourself out yet if it's a little lower.:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an email with my Welcome Day invitation. Anyone else from IL going?

I was just gonna ask if anyone else got their welcome day email yet. I don't know what this means about application status for ppl who haven't heard yet, because you'd think they'd do it all at once, but maybe they were just giving us a heads-up.

I hope to visit and make my decision well before the welcome day, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the updates everyone, its nice to have an idea of whats going on at state.

Well.....i have no facts to back this opinion but Im assuming they are mostly done with offers. Maybe they have a few spots for alternates.

If they are already setting up a welcome day Id assume they must be close to wrapping 2014 up. Anyone disagree or have a different opinion?

for current MSUers, I've heard "rumors" that the school is rather competitive, is this true? I'd really rather not believe this, as I've been accepted for 2014 and feel that I will most likely attend, yet I am ideally looking for a school with a more family-like feel.. can any current students shed light on this?

Thanks for the updates everyone, its nice to have an idea of whats going on at state.

Well.....i have no facts to back this opinion but Im assuming they are mostly done with offers. Maybe they have a few spots for alternates.

If they are already setting up a welcome day Id assume they must be close to wrapping 2014 up. Anyone disagree or have a different opinion?

i don't necessarily think that. there seems to have been no rhyme or reason to their application process this year (ie them saying they were sending supplementals out in the order applications were received, and then not....saying all supplementals would go out by the first week of december and then not finishing til mid january...originally saying everyone would have their letters by the first week of february and people still not knowing...)
last year they had two big 'waves' of admissions...the first was all of the auto-admits with super high SIS scores, and the second was everyone else who had good SIS scores but maybe not outstanding ones...those letters were sent out mid-march. I'm assuming that's how they're doing it again this year but who knows. based on that, i'd say that the second wave has not gone out yet. especially because there's only 17 people in the MSU CVM 2014 facebook group so far. so i'm not giving up hope :)

I don't want to sound stupid - but can anyone explain to me how I can calculate my SIS score?

for current MSUers, I've heard "rumors" that the school is rather competitive, is this true? I'd really rather not believe this, as I've been accepted for 2014 and feel that I will most likely attend, yet I am ideally looking for a school with a more family-like feel.. can any current students shed light on this?

I'm not an MSUer, but I can corroborate this "rumor". MSU is rather competitive (as with all veterinary schools). But I think that the fact that no interviews are held makes it more competitive. After all, it is an amazing school.
@MSUSpartan & wasabii- Last year, I had an advising session on March 15th. They said that all final denials/acceptances were going out the next day. So there will be another wave. I will however, more than likely, not be a part of that wave seeing as my SIS is lower than 850. She told me last year that if I got a supplemental I would basically be an alternate (and that they had 49 alternates last year). I think that that may be exclusive for IS applicants though.

I can only speak to my class, 2012. I think the vast majority of my class is willing to help each other out. We have a class web site and people are constantly uploading study guides that they made and study guides from upperclassmen. Of course, we do have uber-competitive people but I don't feel my class is all that competitive as a whole.

New for this semester, upperclassmen have been holding review sessions before exams. I have found these to be very helpful - third and fourth years are doing our reviews and I believe my class is doing reviews for the first years. I believe the plan is to continue with these reviews for the 2014'ers as well.

Hope this helps!!! :)

I'm in the class of 2013 and I don't really think that our class is very competitive either. There are a few crazies here and there, but that is true in every school.

My class has a mix of extroverted and introverted people, and I do feel like I've found a good "family" group, even as an out of stater. The entire class (or most of it) does hang out on occasion at big events like CVM bar crawl, horse back riding events, bowling, Halloween dances, etc. I frequently get emails from classmates (email forwarded to the whole class) with a nifty video, a study guide or a helpful website. People work together in study groups, on online quizzes and we have a sharing website as well.

However, I do feel like the new classes are more "grade oriented" here than other places. I think this is due to the fact that they are accepting without interviews, and based off of mostly grades and scores. So in general, people are serious about studying and get pretty high test averages as a whole...few people go off of the "C=DVM" attitude. Most keep their grades to themselves, and they seem to just want to do well based on their own motivation rather than trying to outcompete others.

i read that as being competitive in terms of admissions :oops:. good to hear though that people aren't as cutthroat as i had thought.

Thanks for posting that link wasabii

My score is only about an 820 so I don't think that I will be offered admission for an OOS. I guess I will be waitlisted. I think I had some good essay answers on the supplemental though, so I hope that helps. Good luck to everyone still waiting.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just got my Welcome Day e-mail on Friday. Yay! But I've just learned that it's on the same day as the Open House for the University of Wisc (March 26). :( For anyone who has been accepted into both, what are you going to do?? I think I'll just visit Wisc and visit this school some other time..though I'll probably decline Michigan b/c of the cost, weather, etc...

When I emailed them about when I could visit (before I knew about the Welcome Day) they told me about the Welcome Day and said there will be a tour on Wednesday the 24th if I could not come then. So you might be about to swing by Michigan State on Wednesday and then Wisconsin on Friday? Hope that helps.

When I emailed them about when I could visit (before I knew about the Welcome Day) they told me about the Welcome Day and said there will be a tour on Wednesday the 24th if I could not come then. So you might be about to swing by Michigan State on Wednesday and then Wisconsin on Friday? Hope that helps.

Oh, ok..thanks! If I'm going all the way to Wisconsin, I'd definitely like to visit Michigan while I'm there.

AHHH guys i'm freaking out...just got my acceptance letter in the mail today!!!!

good luck to the rest of you!!!!

Congratulations! Time for me to start stalking the mailman.

nothing yet again.. tired of waiting :sleep: congrats MSUspartan!!!

Is this for IS or OOS... or both?

Is this for IS or OOS... or both?

I'm in-state.

Just an FYI to all those of you waiting...the website was updated and says:
"
Letters of offer and letters of alternate status were mailed to current addresses on Tuesday, March 2. Please allow until March 15 for these mailings to reach you before contacting our office.
"

good luck to everyone still waiting!!! :)

I received my letter today. Arguably the best day of my life. Good luck everyone.

Does anyone know if this set of mailings include rejections as well?

Does anyone know if this set of mailings include rejections as well?

I spoke to the admissions office yesterday. If you received a supplemental application, you will either be sent an offer or an alternate position. You will not be rejected.

Just got an acceptance letter 2Day! so excited and hope the best for all. I will be attending the March 26th tour and cannot wait to meet my future colleges! Congrats to all on all their hard work and dedication! Hope the best for all as so much time and effort is put fourth to get here! We are the future in veterinary medicine!

I spoke to the admissions office yesterday. If you received a supplemental application, you will either be sent an offer or an alternate position. You will not be rejected.

well this seems positive..

Congratulations to those whom were accepted!!! I am still waiting (fingers crossed)!!

for those of you who just got acceptances--what were your SIS scores if you don't mind me asking?

ugggg I got waitlisted which sucks :( i thought that i would have had a better chance of getting accepted to my IS but i guess not..
I had an SSI score of 850ish i believe

Alternate list! About what I was expecting, although I had a little hope since I was alternate listed last year too...

Well, at least it isn't a no!

Congrats to all who were accepted and hopefully you'll turn it down :laugh:

Anyone know about how many alternates they usually go through?

waitlisted as well...if we call, will they tell us rank?

I'm an alternate as well and was curious about rankings .. I assume everyone's letters said the same thing? Mine said: "Although the final selection did not include you in the initial class membership, your alternate status is a significant one. This reflects our confidence in your ability to pursue a career in veterinary medicine."

So that sounded sort of promising, but then I realized that most likely they just meant that being placed on the alternate list at all (rather than being rejected) is significant, rather than I'm significantly high on the alternate's list.

I'd definitely be curious as well to know if they could tell us anything if we called ..

I'm an alternate as well and was curious about rankings .. I assume everyone's letters said the same thing? Mine said: "Although the final selection did not include you in the initial class membership, your alternate status is a significant one. This reflects our confidence in your ability to pursue a career in veterinary medicine."

So that sounded sort of promising, but then I realized that most likely they just meant that being placed on the alternate list at all (rather than being rejected) is significant, rather than I'm significantly high on the alternate's list.

I'd definitely be curious as well to know if they could tell us anything if we called ..

I too have been placed on the dreaded alternative list and I got the same letter as you! Hopefully we can get rankings if we call... it's worth a try!

sorry guys.. i literally called the admissions office about 2 mins after i opened the waitlist letter on thursday. the lady i talked with said they do rank both IS and OOS but can not release these rankings even after the April 15th deadline.. you will get a letter/call if you are admitted. im upset about this since MSU is my IS so i have no idea if i have a realistic value of getting accepted (like top 5 alternates since its IS) ugg so frustrating!

sorry guys.. i literally called the admissions office about 2 mins after i opened the waitlist letter on thursday. the lady i talked with said they do rank both IS and OOS but can not release these rankings even after the April 15th deadline.. you will get a letter/call if you are admitted. im upset about this since MSU is my IS so i have no idea if i have a realistic value of getting accepted (like top 5 alternates since its IS) ugg so frustrating!
gir!!!! Well the waiting game is on then

I got Alternated, too. I guess it's good that I'm good enough to be a vet, just not good enough to actually get in anywhere so far. :\

Has anyone not heard from Michigan State yet? I'm out of state and sent my supplemental in late October. It seems like a lot of you have received notices that are located even further distances to MI than VT...

I got my letter this weekend - I am waitlisted as well. I can't believe MSU doesn't give out a rank. But as many have said before - now it is just a waiting game. Good luck to everyone else on alternate status at MSU, hopefully we will be getting offered seats soon!

Hola todos........well I am yet another addition to the Alternate list
-this is not an appeal for sympathy by any means, but to be honest I'm a little upset (& im NOT the emotional type lol).....so maybe putting this out there will be therapeutic for all.
I am IS, go to MSU, & have an SIS score around 880 (give or take a few pts)...............and I just feel kinda lost at the moment.

I just love MSU, being born & raised in Mich, etc.......I'm hope there's people out there who are sharing in my frustration.....b/c now I'm scrambling to apply for possible internships, yada yada yada....

-Congrats to all accepted
-Kudos to alternates for hangin
-a sock to myself to put in my mouth so I shut up & wait patiently

Just a bit of a PSA for anyone who's interested - this week is spring break at MSU, so the campus shouldn't be too crowded if people want to visit on their own. That's what I'm up to.

For everyone on the waitlist...I know they were accepting up until July last year! Don't give up hope!

OT:

SLEEEEFFFF!

We're coming to see you this weekend!!! :biglove:

Received alternate status today (OOS). When I called admissions, they said that they are not going to release rank (not even after April 15). There are approximately 280 applicants on the waitlist between IS & OOS combined - yikes...

There are approximately 280 applicants on the waitlist between IS & OOS combined - yikes...

Well that doesn't sound too promising :(

I received my acceptance today (OOS). Good luck to those still waiting!:luck:

Does anybody know specific numbers for the caseload at MSU? How many small animal, equine, dairy, exotics, etc.... random I know, but I'm just wondering

Received alternate status today (OOS). When I called admissions, they said that they are not going to release rank (not even after April 15). There are approximately 280 applicants on the waitlist between IS & OOS combined - yikes...

I figured it was a couple hundred long - MSU, you have till april 15th to call me!!! :laugh:

Does anybody know specific numbers for the caseload at MSU? How many small animal, equine, dairy, exotics, etc.... random I know, but I'm just wondering

Found this on the website...

Veterinary Teaching Hospital: Number of patient visits per year

• Small Animal Clinic, including the Animal Cancer Care Clinic: 24, 063
  • Large Animal Clinic: 2,751
  • Food Animal Clinic: 738