Michigan State!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am IS, go to MSU, & have an SIS score around 880 (give or take a few pts)...............and I just feel kinda lost at the moment.

I just love MSU, being born & raised in Mich, etc.......I'm hope there's people out there who are sharing in my frustration.....b/c now I'm scrambling to apply for possible internships, yada yada yada....

Don't worry, you're not alone!! I'm with you on the frustrating moments.. though i am very lucky that i got accepted to another school buuutttt it still stings as it is also my IS and I go there boo. nothing left to do but wait i suppose :thumbdown: (i wish they gave us a rank)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. I was put on the alternate list. I sent admissions an e-mail asking them to send me my student profile. They do tell you your specific SIS score. Mine was 850, which was apparently the average SIS score for those completing the supplemental application. Does anyone know what kind of SIS scores were contacted off the waiting list last year?

Hi everyone! I got into my IS school Davis so I will be declining Michigan state this week. Good luck to the waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody,
I'm going to be in East Lansing this weekend seeing the school. I was just wondering if any locals or people who have already visited have any advice on things to see or do in East Lansing? Any restaurants you can't pass up or anything like that? I hope to see some of you all there this weekend!

Hey everybody,
I'm going to be in East Lansing this weekend seeing the school. I was just wondering if any locals or people who have already visited have any advice on things to see or do in East Lansing? Any restaurants you can't pass up or anything like that? I hope to see some of you all there this weekend!
You can check out Potter Park Zoo. It's just a ten minute drive from campus.

Hey everybody,

Scubblescully, I'm going to MSU's open house too...were you able to find hotel accommodations ok? I had such a difficult time finding a room!
Are you going on the 12:00pm or 3:00pm tour?

Scubblescully, I'm going to MSU's open house too...were you able to find hotel accommodations ok? I had such a difficult time finding a room!
Are you going on the 12:00pm or 3:00pm tour?

I'm going too, to the 12:00 pm one =]

A really cool place to eat here in Lansing is Clara's, a restaurant about 2-3 miles off campus...It's in an old train caboose

I'm going too, to the 12:00 pm one =]

A really cool place to eat here in Lansing is Clara's, a restaurant about 2-3 miles off campus...It's in an old train caboose

I'm on the 3:00pm tour, but hopefully I'll get to meet some of you fellow sdners...I also heard about this great ice cream place...will have to find the name

I'm on the 3:00pm tour, but hopefully I'll get to meet some of you fellow sdners...I also heard about this great ice cream place...will have to find the name

THE DAIRY STORE.
Ok all of you prospective spartans MUST visit one of the two MSU dairy store locations on campus. one is at anthony hall (middle of campus, only about a block and a half from the vet school), and you absolutely MUST try their ice cream. it is spectacular. and cheap!!!:thumbup:

Ya, I will definitely be going to get some ice cream at some point. I did have trouble finding a room and am staying a little bit outside of town I think. I will be going on the 3pm tour (couldn't get to E. Lansing early enough for 12 tour). I definitely want to check out the zoo and am also wondering where I should be going Friday night to have a good time watching the MSU Northern Iowa game?

Ya, I will definitely be going to get some ice cream at some point. I did have trouble finding a room and am staying a little bit outside of town I think. I will be going on the 3pm tour (couldn't get to E. Lansing early enough for 12 tour). I definitely want to check out the zoo and am also wondering where I should be going Friday night to have a good time watching the MSU Northern Iowa game?

All of the bars should be hopping with people. As I'm under 21 I can't really give you a good idea of the best ones to go to. I'm hoping they'll open the Breslin Center (our basketball stadium) and let people watch it on the jumbotrons in there, but last year they only did that once we got to the final four =[

ahh Friday will be crazy.. if you are 21 some of the good places to go to watch the game will be buffalo wild wings (Grand River and Charles street), PTs, or Harpers (albert and groove), all are really close to campus along Grand River (main street running parallel).. PTs and Harpers are both bars, I personally like Harpers if you like beer they brew their own and the raspberry wheat is awesome! PM me if you need more places or directions and such :) Go Greeeeen :luck:

I am 21 and would love to watch the game at a bar near campus. Unfortunately my girlfriend is not 21 for a few more months. Is there anywhere she would be able to get in to watch the game as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
BWW, pt's, harpers, the post, the riv, ricks, and dublin square. I dont think your girlfriend will be able to get in if she;s not 21. You might try calling. You cant go wrong at any of these places and make sure to walk the campus. Its one of the largest and most beautiful campus' in the country...in my opinion.

As for downtown EL, its pretty small but there are some good restaurants, decent shops, and plenty of bars. It will be packed all day/night on friday due to the game. The youngins like to drink heavily during these march madness...its alway fun and entertaining but expect to see some immature behavior. Its all in good fun though.

Potter Park zoo - uh what can i say. Its a nice small town zoo but nothing special.

Check out the childrens gardens, not sure how it will look this early in the spring but its a nice spot on campus and just a brief walk from the vest school

To summarize - walk the campus, go downown, grab a beer, watch the game and enjoy East Lansing...its a great little town.

Also keep in mind that you are 45mins from ann arbor and grand rapids which are awesome towns. 2-3 hours from beautiful northern/lakeside destinations and 4 hours from chicago. E.L. will be a great place for you to spend the next 4 years.

Thanks for all the great info everybody! I can't wait to see the school and be able to make my final decision. I have heard it is a beautiful campus so I definitely want to walk around after my tour. Hope to see some of you there!

I guess we'll try and ask around for a place that my girlfriend can get in to for the game

I guess we'll try and ask around for a place that my girlfriend can get in to for the game

I know that none of the bars will let someone that isn't 21 in (Harpers, ricks, Pts, dublins..) but buffalo wild wings might.. give them a call. my bf said he didnt get carded when he walked in for the last game but things tend to get tighter the further into march madness we go.. either way campus will be packed so just walking it will be a blast

word of advice.. dont wear anything purple or yellow (northern iowas colors) some people can be immature :rolleyes:

:luck:

Well I'm sitting in the plane waiting to fly to Atlanta and they already have 1 hour delays at 7am which is amazing. So I might not be seeing you guys this afternoon. I guess I could go to the vet-a-visit thing tomorrow. Bummer.

Well I'm sitting in the plane waiting to fly to Atlanta and they already have 1 hour delays at 7am which is amazing. So I might not be seeing you guys this afternoon. I guess I could go to the vet-a-visit thing tomorrow. Bummer.

oh no! I hope you made it in time. my connecting flight was delayed too and I missed most of the presentation but did go on the 3:00pm tour. I'm also going to vet a visit tomorrow before I leave back to the airport. curious to hear what your impressions of msu are...

I made it there at about 2:55 just in time for the tour and went to vet-a-visit today for a few hours. I really liked MSU and was impressed. I'll post more when I get home, I'm on my phone in Atlanta airport right now. Its going to be a tough decision with Minnesota for sure.

I made it there at about 2:55 just in time for the tour and went to vet-a-visit today for a few hours. I really liked MSU and was impressed. I'll post more when I get home, I'm on my phone in Atlanta airport right now. Its going to be a tough decision with Minnesota for sure.

Did you, by chance, have "josh" as your tour guide? I was impressed with MSU too. Loved the fact that the vet school is on the same campus as the rest of the school (unlike MN where the vet/ag departments seem isolated from that "collegiate feel"). The new oncology ward was very cool and additionally, vet-a-day was a wonderful experience-- the stations and presentations were fabulous and entirely welcoming to the lay public. I ended up going for dinner/watching the game with a few first years and they were friendly and laid-back. A concern, though, with the budget cuts-- no more computers in the lecture halls :(

I did not have Josh as my tour guide. I had a great visit to MSU and liked it even more than I expected. I was worried about what the student body would be like because of not having interviews but found everyone to be really friendly and very normal. I also got an upbeat and friendly vibe from everyone passing by in the hospital during the tour. I liked the anatomy lab and thought the student center was a nice place. The hospital seemed to have all of the technologies and everything that you could want. The campus was pretty and definitely more collegy than the St. Paul campus at Minnesota and I liked how many people were outside playing basketball and tennis and everything. Lots of bikes everywhere and a gym right next door. I watched the game Friday night at Wild Wing Cafe and enjoyed it and went to the zoo which I thought was great as well. Lansing was not too amazing but had some neat restaurants downtown and East Lansing was a cool college town. I didn't like the histology lab too much and the medical school was a farther walk for class than I had expected from looking at a campus map. I went to vet-a-visit on Saturday morning and I thought it was a wonderful program for kids who love animals and high school and college kids who are interested in veterinary medicine. The programs were fun, I thought seeing the horse treadmill be used was really neat, and I was impressed by the turn out and the amount of the school they opened up for the public to see.

Michigan State is an awesome vet school and I wish I could go there and Minnesota but I think I am going to be going to Minnesota next fall. I have just had a pull towards Minnesota since I was first looking in to vet schools. I think I would get every bit the education at MSU and would love it but some little differences turned me to Minnesota.

Michigan State is an awesome vet school and I wish I could go there and Minnesota but I think I am going to be going to Minnesota next fall. I have just had a pull towards Minnesota since I was first looking in to vet schools. I think I would get every bit the education at MSU and would love it but some little differences turned me to Minnesota.

Yay! See you there!

well you should consider going here simply for the basketball team :)
that is all.

GOOO GREEEEN :luck::D:D:luck:

Haha ya,
I've always liked the basketball team. I have always been a huge Iowa fan so I feel like I'm doing something wrong by going to Minnesota and I don't know if I will ever be able to like the sports teams or the colors, at least not when playing the Hawkeyes.

Not sure if anyone posted this but I emailed the admissions office for my student profile and they sent me back my calculated SSI score and the selected class means..

cumulative GPA - 3.74
Science GPA - 3.69
last 3 semesters GPA - 3.80
GRE score - 1222.59
SIS score - 898.39

I am guessing that the fact that the average SIS score is about 50 above mine I don't have a shot for getting of the IS waitlist.. time to start making other plans.

Keep in mind, this is the profile of the "selected" class and doesnt represent the attending class. These avgs include many OOS and IS students that will be attending other schools. I would imagine these averages will come down as they get closer to the "actual" class. Good luck.

Not sure if anyone posted this but I emailed the admissions office for my student profile and they sent me back my calculated SSI score and the selected class means..

cumulative GPA - 3.74
Science GPA - 3.69
last 3 semesters GPA - 3.80
GRE score - 1222.59
SIS score - 898.39

I am guessing that the fact that the average SIS score is about 50 above mine I don't have a shot for getting of the IS waitlist.. time to start making other plans.

Keep in mind, this is the profile of the "selected" class and doesnt represent the attending class. These avgs include many OOS and IS students that will be attending other schools. I would imagine these averages will come down as they get closer to the "actual" class. Good luck.

any idea how low those averages will get??

any idea how low those averages will get??

I have no idea what the final scores will look like but here are the 2012 & 2013 class profiles. The avgs are trending higher but as to how high...who knows?

GPA 3.56
Science GPA 3.49
GRE 1153
Last 45 3.66

GPA 3.66
Science GPA 3.59
GRE 1176
Last 45 3.67

I have no idea what the final scores will look like but here are the 2012 & 2013 class profiles. The avgs are trending higher but as to how high...who knows?

GPA 3.56
Science GPA 3.49
GRE 1153
Last 45 3.66

GPA 3.66
Science GPA 3.59
GRE 1176
Last 45 3.67

thanks for the info!
and for those who are on the waiting list, i have some bad news, i called them today and asked them for an update and they told me that they wont start pulling people off the list until may 1st.. more waiting.. YES!!

I just wanted to let all waitlisters at MSU know, I received an invitation via email today (4/20). So, good luck! I can't wait to meet all of you in my class :)

I just wanted to let all waitlisters at MSU know, I received an invitation via email today (4/20). So, good luck! I can't wait to meet all of you in my class :)

Great JOB :thumbup::highfive::clap::claps: I am assuming you are OOS right?

Great JOB :thumbup::highfive::clap::claps: I am assuming you are OOS right?

Very much so! I am from Illinois. I'm all mega nervous now (seeing as I have YET to receive my official letter.. it's the too good to be true hypothesis)!!

Is there a MSU c/o 2014 thread yet? I tried to find one, but to no avail! I have NO understanding of East Lansing, MSU, where to live, if I need to buy snow shoes (I'm assuming so), should I get my dog's a Lyme's vaccine, etc, etc, etc!

BUT, I am pumped!:D

Very much so! I am from Illinois. I'm all mega nervous now (seeing as I have YET to receive my official letter.. it's the too good to be true hypothesis)!!

Is there a MSU c/o 2014 thread yet? I tried to find one, but to no avail! I have NO understanding of East Lansing, MSU, where to live, if I need to buy snow shoes (I'm assuming so), should I get my dog's a Lyme's vaccine, etc, etc, etc!

BUT, I am pumped!:D

This is the thread we've been using for pretty much everything. We also have a facebook group (MSU CVM Class of 2014).
East Lansing is awesome! In terms of snow, yeah, it snows a lot here. You should get a good sturdy pair of snow boots and they should last you a few years.

ok so i just called admissions and they said they called a couple IS people and three OOS so far. i was going to ask how many spaces were left but i really couldnt hear her since i was just in the middle of a horrible storm when i called! if anyone calls to ask how many spots are left please let me knwo! :)

have any of you gotten any information about financial aid or scholarships?

They sent us an application for a scholarship I think earlier this month, but it was already due, sorry! No info about financial aid yet i dont think though...

Hi all.... I was accepted off the wait list today (OOS, email 5/4) :)

Just to give you other wait listers some hope, I had a file review with them last Friday, and had a lower-average SIS score. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I'm SO excited but now feel like I'm behind with everything since I've been waiting in limbo. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Hi all.... I was accepted off the wait list today (OOS, email 5/4) :)

Just to give you other wait listers some hope, I had a file review with them last Friday, and had a lower-average SIS score. Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I'm SO excited but now feel like I'm behind with everything since I've been waiting in limbo. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Congrats!

Join our facebook group...it's titled MSU CVM Class of 2014 =]

Ok, so did you all register for classes already? Did all your federal student loan paperwork go through? I feel like the administration at MSU CVM is a little slow on getting the ball rolling...

Ok, so did you all register for classes already? Did all your federal student loan paperwork go through? I feel like the administration at MSU CVM is a little slow on getting the ball rolling...

I got an email about two weeks ago instructing me how to register for my classes, but different people are getting them at different times based on when your information gets put into the system. As of right now, the scheduling website says that 78 people have enrolled in our class, meaning that about 25% of the class has yet to enroll.
In terms of loans, I got an email saying my financial aid for next year had been updated (from my undergrad package that I was originally given for next year if I was going to finish my bachelors degree) and my stafford loans show up, however it still says I'm at the "review by the office of financial aid" stage, which means nothing's been finalized yet.

I'm getting really anxious about everything though...I just want to get info about orientation, books, supplies, etc!

Just declined an offer today off the alternate list. It's still moving!!!

ok, just got my PID and PAN #'s and will register for classes first thing tomorrow morning...

does anyone have his/her housing situation finalized? I'm moving with my bf and we're looking for a house to rent-- any ideas?

ps: I'm so excited for august 27!!!!

I got my PID and PAN a few weeks ago and registered for classes (which, made the whole thing feel very real all of a sudden! :)).

I also emailed Financial Aid and was told that loans will be available on my fall bill in mid-late July. I was also directed to an MSU site (stuinfo?) to check my aid status, but I don't have an email address/password yet to log in to it.

Anyone from New England going to MSU? :)

Anyone from New England going to MSU? :)

I'm not from New England, but there is a group of SDNers from New England who are planning a get-together, if you're interested...