Michigan vs Louisville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avocado24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been blessed to have received offers from both of these wonderful schools, and I am having the hardest time deciding where to put down a deposit. I am OOS for both. So far here are some of my thoughts:

Louisville
Pros:
-1.5 hours from home
-Better weather
-Very friendly atmosphere
-Beautiful facilities

Cons:
-Downtown setting (personal preference)
-No clinic til D3
-More expensive (350k for UM, 370k for UL)

Michigan
Pros:
-Lots of clinical experience
-Cost (~20k cheaper)
-College town setting
-Top notch faculty members

Cons:
-4.5 hours from home
-Colder, snowier weather
-I worry about the high cost of living in Ann Arbor

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

dont expected expensives factor in cost of living in the different areas?

dont expected expensives factor in cost of living in the different areas?

They do, and with that factored in Michigan is still around 20k cheaper. I guess I just worry about staying under the allotted living expenses budget in Ann Arbor. I honestly haven't started looking at apartments yet, I'm just going off of what I hear people say on here. I guess worst case scenario there wouldn't be much of a difference at all in price.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do louisville. I've been to both, and really like the atmosphere there. 20k isn't a big enough difference for me. And honestly I think that cost wise they are closer than you'd expect. Either way, I live in Michigan, but if I had a choice between the two at the same cost I'd go with Louisville.

Michigan so I can have your spot at Louisville :D

Reactions: 1 user
Well base it on how your fit felt there. How welcom you felt. Honestly I don't think Louisville can be beat in that regard. They have the nicest clinics of every school I visited, only one that came close was Marquette. So that's my take. But, warmer weather is a for sure positive there too haha.

MICHIGAN....It's Michigan!!!!

I guess what I am struggling with is whether the benefits of Michigan (reputation, clinical experience, possible specializing advantage), outweighs the convenience of Louisville being closer to home and having better weather.

I realize ultimately nobody can make that decision but me, but dang is it tough.

For me, It came down to where I ultimately felt like I'd be better supported, where I'd fit in more, and where I'd really ENJOY my experience. I turned down my in-state school for an out of state school because I felt like I'd rather be in a place where I'd be HAPPY.
They are both really good schools with really great reputations. I think you know where you want to go. Go with your heart! :) Either way, you won't be disappointed.
Hope that helps haha

I guess what I am struggling with is whether the benefits of Michigan (reputation, clinical experience, possible specializing advantage), outweighs the convenience of Louisville being closer to home and having better weather.

the perceived benefits are, for the most part, tenuous and subjective. rep is a matter of opinion; clinical experience (in school) likely won't mean jack once you're even one year out; and both schools have virtually the same post-doc residency programs (meaning you'll have opportunity to forge connections and get recommendations when you apply). if i were in your shoes i'd choose the red bird and wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it.

but i also really like bourbon.

This is tough. There isn't much history to go on, since Michigan and Louisville haven't played in 36 years besides their showdown in the tourney in 2013. Since that is our only source of recent information, here are the stats for Mich vs. Lou respectively:

Shooting: .521 vs .459
3-Pointers: .444 vs .500
Free throws: .720 vs .783
Rebounds: 8-27 vs 15-32
Assists: 12 vs 18
Steals: 3 vs 9
Blocks: 2 vs 3
Turnovers: 12 vs 9
Fouls: 15 vs 22
Final Score: 76-82

Louisville basically wiped the floor with Michigan stat-wise (9 steals???), which probably led to their win, but Michigan showed promise with their field goal percentage.

So based on this, Louisville is better overall, but you can also do well at Michigan if you work on boxing out and hitting more 3s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is tough. There isn't much history to go on, since Michigan and Louisville haven't played in 36 years besides their showdown in the tourney in 2013. Since that is our only source of recent information, here are the stats for Mich vs. Lou respectively:

Louisville basically wiped the floors with Michigan stat-wise (9 steals???), which probably led to their win, but Michigan showed promise with their field goal percentage.

So based on this, Louisville is better overall, but you can also do well at Michigan if you work on boxing out and hitting more 3s.

GM of the Year.

Louisville basically wiped the floor with Michigan stat-wise (9 steals???), which probably led to their win, but Michigan showed promise with their field goal percentage.

Lol Louisville it is then!