Michigan vs. Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lckynmbrslefman

Michigan State CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a million of these already but I would love some advice:)

For Western, I love the California weather and night life (even though there won't be much time for it) and the access to the beach/mountains/etc. The PBL sounds very interesting and I love the amount of personal attention/human interaction/hands on you get. However, I understand it gets frustrating figuring out learning objectives and learning most of the material yourself.

I don't know too much about Michigan yet but I understand it has lots of great facilities and a well established, trusted program. Traditional curriculum, also a bit safer.

I am interested in mixed animal practice and am out of state for both. The cost of attending is pretty close for both of them, so money doesn't really play a role in the decision.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Lcky,

I am in a similiar situation ie my Western vs UTK thread. is there a school u r leaning toward? One you have a better feeling about? The way I look at PBL is that if it scares me, I should probably be doing it, because in the real world absolutely no one will be there to tell you where to get the information. I think its safe to say from the western thread atleast 90 perecnt of the new students are scared of PBL. I think that's kinda like my fear of the dark :) I'm not actually afraid of the dark per se but afraid of the UNKNOWN. With PBL you don't know what to expect but most seem to figure it out and become more confident in their ability as a clinician for it.

Its hard to resist people telling you to go somewhere because a progran is "more established" but does that mean Western doesn't do as good of a job? No, its just apples and oranges. Tried and true or new and innovative. They are both AVMA accredited and that's what matters to me. So what's for you?

Let us know your thoughts :)

First of all, congratulations on your acceptances. For me, a big consideration about western is that there is no large animal clinic. I understand that you travel and work elsewhere, but it can't be the same as going to a well-established school where hundreds of clients take all animals large and small. Keep us posted on your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, congratulations on your acceptances. For me, a big consideration about western is that there is no large animal clinic. I understand that you travel and work elsewhere, but it can't be the same as going to a well-established school where hundreds of clients take all animals large and small. Keep us posted on your thoughts!

Okay this is really irritating me. You are trained by some of the best large animal practitioners around. You are sent into the San Joaquin valley which will get you more experience than the "hundreds of clients" will bring to a teaching hospital. (for instance I saw hundreds of cows on ONE DAY out there). The first 2 years in the curriculum, you learn at Cal Poly's campus (trust me they are frickin awesome to work with)

and in your fourth year you can always do a rotation at any of the other vet school teaching hospitals if you so desire.

Please stop posting completely uneducated postings.

Sorry if that came off harsh but you are hitting one of my worst pet peeves.;)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your thoughts so far. LLIPPY, so far I am leaning towards Western. I know it is a stupid reason, but I just really really REALLY love the idea of living in SoCal. I feel like if most of my day/week is spent studying, I'm going to really value the time that I have to myself. And there are so many things to do in SoCal that I would really enjoy. I want to make those free times the best times possible and really love where I'm living. I think that will make the studying and endless work load more bearable. Plus, once I graduate, I would be happy practicing in that area.

HOWEVER, I just got back from a visit to Michigan and it seemed to have some really great things going for it. The clinics were accessible to 1st years and the town of East Lancing was beautiful. All of the facilities were well kept up and they seemed to have a high patient load. The faculty was friendly and the students seemed stressed out but content with where they were.

Now I'm more stuck than I was before...:(

Hi lcky,

I don't think leaning toward a location is a stupid reason at all! As a matter of fact, it may have to be one of the best reasons. I say that because the more I think about it, there is no way for us to know what the curriculum will be like at either school. Didactic vs PBL is just apples and oranges and how will we REALLY know until we are immersed in it? At least we know whatever happens, we WILL make it through either school with flying colors. However, if we don't enjoy the area arounbd us, we may end up going crazy because ANY school is going to stress us out and we need to have breathers too.

I can also tell you from first hand experience you bring up a really good point that has hit home for me. I don't know if you read, I actually did a year abroad at another vet school.unfortunately, I was sick and had to come home. I decided eventually, as heartbreaking as it was I simply could not go abroad again. The weather was nice and relaxing, BUT being abroad for ME became traumatic almost when I got sick and wasn't comfortable where I was. It had its own stessors with not many of the comforts or outlets I wanted.

One more point. If you see yourself practicing in Cali, think of all the opportunities of the people and places you will meet while in school there. Especially with Westerns option of going anywhere you want your 4th year.

That being said, I am going to take a minute to ride the W-AMBULANCE. Options make everything harder! Even though I am leaning toward Western too, its tough to think of all the what ifs! Its making everything more stressful than if I didn't have an option! Oh life :) keep us (me :) ) updated!

Oh and PS, Chris, if I haven lost you here, AMEN to your posts! Thanks for taking your time to clear things up once again!!

Lcky --

which tour group were you in? Maybe I saw you there! I was in the one that was led by two vet students who were originally theater and psychology majors. :) I think we left around 11:30am.

If you have any specific questions about msu let me know, maybe I can answer them!

Okay this is really irritating me. You are trained by some of the best large animal practitioners around. You are sent into the San Joaquin valley which will get you more experience than the "hundreds of clients" will bring to a teaching hospital. (for instance I saw hundreds of cows on ONE DAY out there). The first 2 years in the curriculum, you learn at Cal Poly's campus (trust me they are frickin awesome to work with)

and in your fourth year you can always do a rotation at any of the other vet school teaching hospitals if you so desire.

Please stop posting completely uneducated postings.

Sorry if that came off harsh but you are hitting one of my worst pet peeves.;)
Easy...the OP asked for our opinions on which school to go to...I went to Western's orientation (and was accepted there) and was very impressed by the program, but my post IS a fact (I am not as uneducated as you claim). Western doesn't have a large animal clinic on location. If you recall, in my post I DID say that you were going to have the opportunity to travel and gain LA experience. I'm not knocking Western, nor do I feel that they will turn out less-prepared vets. I was simply expressing my opinion in the situation. Michigan is an excellent (very well-established) school and I believe that my point is one worth considering.

Back to the topic. I absolutely agree that location is one to consider. If you really want to live in SoCal, that is something to consider! Also realize that the cost of living is probably going to higher than in Michigan (although there is something to be said for taking a quick drive to the beach to relieve stress)!