Microbiology and Pcat prepare time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashlee090

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about taking PCat in June 2011. I will not be able to take Microbiology before my PCAT test. I already took 1 quarter of A&P so far. And I will take 2 classes( statistic and general biology III) during spring quarter, which final date is around June 17. And PCAT test will be around June 18. I do not have to work but just volunteer.

Do you think it would be okay since the final date and PCAT test date are next to each other? Will I have enough time to prepare? And will the microbiology part hurt me?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about taking PCat in June 2011. I will not be able to take Microbiology before my PCAT test. I already took 1 quarter of A&P so far. And I will take 2 classes( statistic and general biology III) during spring quarter, which final date is around June 17. And PCAT test will be around June 18. I do not have to work but just volunteer.

Do you think it would be okay since the final date and PCAT test date are next to each other? Will I have enough time to prepare? And will the microbiology part hurt me?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I got a mid 80% score on the biology section with only reading a microbiology review section in Kaplan/McGraw-Hill, so you can still do pretty well.

That being said I took the PCAT again this October and had about 1/2 a semester of micro and every micro question felt like cake compared to before.

So essentially you can do ok without it I would say, but having it does help. I still don't have physiology, but since you have A and P you should be in pretty good shape for the bio section. The real 'meat' of the section comes form general biology most times, so you should be fine if you are all the way up to gen bio III.

I took the PCAT my first time this summer and I essentially studied for about 4 weeks solid, and during the semester I found it's virtually impossible for me to get much studying in but that's really a case by case basis.

Good luck.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is I didn't take Micro at all, and I got a 94 on the biology section.
So it definitely isn't a deal killer.
Good luck.

You'll be okay without microbio. There were only a couple questions dealing with bacteria and parasites. So it definitely won't make or break your grade.

I scored a 91% on the biology section and have not yet taken Micro. The Dr. Collins and Kaplan study guides included some microbiology and I studied off of that. There weren't many micro questions on the October PCAT so you should be fine.