microbiology for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have completed microbiology, how much did taking that class help for the MCAT? I've heard that taking human physiology or biochemistry is definately a good idea before taking the MCAT but what about microbiology? Also, was microbiology a fairly difficult course?

Members don't see this ad.

mdsquared said:
For those who have completed microbiology, how much did taking that class help for the MCAT? I've heard that taking human physiology or biochemistry is definately a good idea before taking the MCAT but what about microbiology? Also, was microbiology a fairly difficult course?

I loved micro and I ended up working in a micro lab after I took the class, but it didn't help at all on the MCAT. The MCAT really only tests the pre-req classes, no need to worry about micro!

side note: I loved micro and I'm kind of sad that I'm done with micro in med school. yes, I'm a dork. I'm okay with that.

Well........I suppose it depends on which version of the MCAT you get. When I took it last April, I swear the biology component was mostly molecular and microbiology so it really helped. Also, that course does cover a bit of immunology that you may see on the MCAT (this may depend on who's teaching your course though). I thought it was a pretty easy course and definately worthwhile.

I didn't have micro before taking the MCAT, and I don't really think it hurt me. It might've helped on a few questions, but don't overburden yourself just to take it prior to the MCAT.