Mid-Reinvention Check In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brief Background Information (Feel free to skip):

High School: Apathy, rebellion, frustration

I want to preface this post with a brief explanation of my rather unorthodox undergraduate experience. Although I am rather disappointed/ashamed in myself, I want to provide honest insight into my journey. In order to understand my circumstances, there are a few important factors that shaped me early on. I grew up in a small town with a population of <6,000; the only doctor I knew personally was my PCP. High school was a rough time for me. I don't want to make excuses for myself, as I fully acknowledge the role of my own decisions (or lack thereof), but the school was severely sub-par and opportunities were limited. I had no clear role models, aspirations or drive at this time in my life. The only thing I knew for sure was that I needed to move away. Sadly, with a mediocre HS GPA, I didn't have many exciting options.

First 3 years UG: Inner-work, exploration, indecision

Starting college, there was a drastic shift in my outlook on life and my inner world. I began to search for my passion and purpose. I became cerebral, introspective, and curious--reading everything I could get my hands on. I shuffled around state schools trying to solve my problems with external solutions. I majored in business -> biology -> physics -> psychology (current). My memories of the first three years of undergrad are clouded with indecision, discontent, and profound loneliness. Without any clear objectives, I waffled my way through the system. This was a difficult time, as it is for many young adults; yet in retrospect a time of immense growth.

Senior Year and beyond: Discipline, Control, Focus

Eventually, I made a smart decision and took a semester off to reevaluate. I traveled internationally and ended up moving to California, still unsure of what I was doing. This was a major turning point. I finally felt like I was living somewhere I was happy with far away from the small town I grew up in. Realizing that throughout the previous years, the only constant was my passion for my own health. I won't get into my "why medicine", as it is not relevant to this discussion. What is relevant is the dramatic shift in the way I lived my life. I had a clear goal in mind and knew I would do whatever it took to obtain it. It is amazing what a clear goal can do to change your life. My GPA spiked; I started to gain clinical and volunteer experiences, and plan for the future.

Here we are now. I am one year into my reinvention, with one year of undergraduate to go. If all goes as planned this year I will graduate with ~85 credits of 3.8+. I will continue to accumulate EC hours and plan to take the MCAT either this summer or before June 2021.

This brings me to my questions:
  1. Should I give the 2021 cycle a try (pending a good MCAT)?
  2. Do I need post-bacc classes or even an SMP considering my trend?
  3. Which decision node do you recommend? Or other suggestions.
GPA/Trends

cGPA(projected): ~3.3

sGPA(projected): ~3.0

cGPA(current): 3.003

sGPA(current): 2.8

MCAT: Deciding to take either this summer or next January.

ORM, Male, CA Resident, NY Resident

Major: Psychology, Minor: Chemistry

Semester/School/CreditsGPANotes
Semester 1 (School 1), 17 credits3.02
Semester 2 (School 2), 15 credits2.52
Semester 3 (School 3), 14 credits2.56
Semester 4 (School 3), 6 credits2.0* 2 W's not due to performance, but rather disinterest
Semester 5 (School 3), 12 credits2.83
Semester 6 (School 3), 12 credits1.53* F in Clac II, bc I stopped going so I could travel
Semester 7 (School 4), 17 credits3.824*Finished GE req. for entrance into CA state school @ a CC
Summer Session (School 5), 14 credits4.0
Semester 8 (School 5), 20.5 credits3.813
Winter Session (School 5), 4 credits4.0
Semester 9 (School 5), 17 credits4.0 (projected)
Semester 10 (School 5), ~15 credits4.0 (projected)
Extracurriculars:

Clinical Volunteering:

Zero. I just completed my EMT certification. Planning on finding a volunteer gig when I have the time.

Non-clinical Volunteering:

• Crisis Text Line: *Projected 200 hours
  • TEFL Indonesia: 75 hours
  • Misc: 50 hours
Paid Clinical:

• ED Scribe: 2,000 hours and counting
Leadership:

• Chief Scribe: Recent promotion, will be acquiring hours for the next year
  • Organic Chemistry Supplemental Instructor (projected ~160 hours)
  • TA for first responder course (50 hours)
Research:

Zero. I am starting to look for this summer and next semester

Hobbies:
  • IRONMAN Triathlons (10+ hours of training a week)
  • I am always reading multiple books (not necessarily finishing every one lol)
  • Cooking (wish I had more time and money to nurture this hobby)
Decision Nodes (simplified):
  1. MCAT this summer --> Continue to repair GPA, build EC's --> Graduate in December --> DIY Post-Bacc Classes --> Apply MD/DO 2021 cycle (Apply SMP as backup)
  2. Continue to build EC's/Repair GPA --> Graduate December --> Start MCAT study and take before June --> Apply 2021 cycle (SMP backup)
  3. Continue to build EC's/GPA repair --> Graduate December --> Take 2021 off for MCAT/EC Building/GPA repair --> Apply 2022 cycle (SMP backup)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  1. MCAT this summer --> Continue to repair GPA, build EC's --> Graduate in December --> DIY Post-Bacc Classes --> Apply MD/DO 2021 cycle (Apply SMP as backup)
  2. Continue to build EC's/Repair GPA --> Graduate December --> Start MCAT study and take before June --> Apply 2021 cycle (SMP backup)
  3. Continue to build EC's/GPA repair --> Graduate December --> Take 2021 off for MCAT/EC Building/GPA repair --> Apply 2022 cycle (SMP backup)
I'd pick #3.

Assuming MD is your goal, you need to get your cGPA and sGPA to ~3.5 for lower tier MDs and this could take a while to achieve. Applying with your projected GPAs would get you screened out from most schools despite the upward trend. Defer your graduation as long as possible (for lower tuition and better registration priority) and continue taking upper-level science courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You don't immediately need a post-bacc or SMP. You have shown reinvention by the last 85 credits of your GPA, but you need to seal it with your MCAT! That is your top priority (besides finishing classes strong). Get your sGPA above 3.0 and that will help. The rest of your ECs look good. You can get a little research if you want, but I don't think it is essential. You have to be comfortable going DO. I have a 3.3 cGPA (with a little higher sGPA) and I have been flat out told by MD schools that my cGPA is what is preventing me from getting accepted after interviewing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd also choose #3. I'm a little confused by the wording: "take 2021 off to do... GPA repair...." what do you mean by that by chance?

It's really great you're this introspective. Depending on your state of residence, you may not need to get to a 3.5 c/sGPA to get an II/offer from a state MD (I certainly didn't.)

Don't rush that MCAT. If you need to push it back, do it. I had to and it paid off with a 512 and subsequent acceptance. Let me know if you need some help/guidance with working and studying.

You don't immediately need a post-bacc or SMP. You have shown reinvention by the last 85 credits of your GPA, but you need to seal it with your MCAT! That is your top priority (besides finishing classes strong). Get your sGPA above 3.0 and that will help. The rest of your ECs look good. You can get a little research if you want, but I don't think it is essential. You have to be comfortable going DO. I have a 3.3 cGPA (with a little higher sGPA) and I have been flat out told by MD schools that my cGPA is what is preventing me from getting accepted after interviewing.
If I can ask what might seem like a stupid question - why would anyone take the time to interview you if you they already decided they can't accept you based on your cGPA? That seems like a waste of everyone's time, including yours.

I'd also choose #3. I'm a little confused by the wording: "take 2021 off to do... GPA repair...." what do you mean by that by chance?

It's really great you're this introspective. Depending on your state of residence, you may not need to get to a 3.5 c/sGPA to get an II/offer from a state MD (I certainly didn't.)

Don't rush that MCAT. If you need to push it back, do it. I had to and it paid off with a 512 and subsequent acceptance. Let me know if you need some help/guidance with working and studying.

Thanks for the response. I should have worded that differently. What I meant to say was, instead of applying in 2021, I would enroll in DIY post-bacc classes and continue to raise my GPA trend while still acquiring EC's.

How long did you study for the MCAT? I'm debating on either taking it this summer and studying for 3 months, or waiting until January to start studying, giving myself 4-5 months. If I end up enrolling for DIY post-bacc classes I would need to take it this summer.

Thanks for the response. I should have worded that differently. What I meant to say was, instead of applying in 2021, I would enroll in DIY post-bacc classes and continue to raise my GPA trend while still acquiring EC's.

How long did you study for the MCAT? I'm debating on either taking it this summer and studying for 3 months, or waiting until January to start studying, giving myself 4-5 months. If I end up enrolling for DIY post-bacc classes I would need to take it this summer.
Up to you. If you have the free time this summer/have significant free time amongst the responsibilities you have, I'd study during the summer.

I'd pick #3.

Assuming MD is your goal, you need to get your cGPA and sGPA to ~3.5 for lower tier MDs and this could take a while to achieve. Applying with your projected GPAs would get you screened out from most schools despite the upward trend. Defer your graduation as long as possible (for lower tuition and better registration priority) and continue taking upper-level science courses.

Your DO/SMP spreadsheet is gold!

If I can ask what might seem like a stupid question - why would anyone take the time to interview you if you they already decided they can't accept you based on your cGPA? That seems like a waste of everyone's time, including yours.

idk, I asked them the same question... I’m waitlisted BTW... so we will see

My vote would be graduate in December, MCAT in spring, and apply broadly that summer. Given the importance of your MCAT score, I would only take the exam after completing all your prerequisite classes and when you are able to dedicate your energies to preparing for it. After graduating, I don’t think more classes as a postbac will be necessary unless you want to increase your GPAs, which I would only do after an unsuccessful cycle. When applying, make sure you apply broadly. Also think through where you want to claim residency, as you will only be able to pick one state (I am confused by your status as CA + NY residency). In the event you have an unsuccessful cycle, then it would be time to think about postbac or SMP options.

idk, I asked them the same question... I’m waitlisted BTW... so we will see
What did they say??? Are these schools that do post II Rs? If so, then why are you on the WLs if your cGPA won't support As? Are the people who told you this actually on the committees? I have no idea why anyone would mislead you, but unless everyone who doesn't receive an A is on the WLs, being on WLs is not consistent with not having a cGPA high enough to be admitted.

What did they say??? Are these schools that do post II Rs? If so, then why are you on the WLs if your cGPA won't support As? Are the people who told you this actually on the committees? I have no idea why anyone would mislead you, but unless everyone who doesn't receive an A is on the WLs, being on WLs is not consistent with not having a cGPA high enough to be admitted.

yeah the admissions director told me he thought I had sufficiently reinvented myself to be accepted, but the committee disagreed and he doesn’t get a vote. He said there was no other reason I wasn’t accepted. This was a 1 on 1 phone call a month after my interview.

yeah the admissions director told me he thought I had sufficiently reinvented myself to be accepted, but the committee disagreed and he doesn’t get a vote. He said there was no other reason I wasn’t accepted. This was a 1 on 1 phone call a month after my interview.
Man, that really sucks. So I guess that means that the committee doesn't decide who gets an II, and you can in fact end up wasting your time if the director and the committee are not on the same page. I'm sorry about your situation (at least you are definitely going to be a doctor!), but this goes against all the common wisdom on SDN and is valuable information for the rest of us about the limitations of IIs.

How many units was your post bacc/MCAT score, if you don't mind me asking?

@Goro I know you’ve recommended I attempt a cycle in 2021 but, with more information in this post I was hoping to get your insight.

I will be graduating from a US MD school this May. Then on to residency in psychiatry.

I am reminded somewhat of my own story, though mine is worse. I had five Ws and seven Fs/WFs (essentially two consecutive wasted years) and also a DWI in 2009-10. After undergoing a spiritual awaking of sorts and putting down the alcohol and drugs for good, I went back to school (with the intent of going to medical school), starting at community college, and earned 120 credits of straight A+s. I also did clinical research, published some small stuff, volunteered, and did a host of other things. And then I scored 99%ile on the MCAT. I was accepted to medical school for class of 2020. If I can be accepted to a ranked MD school, most thoughtful applicants of reasonable intelligence and strong character can also be accepted to medical school if the will is there.

One of the best decisions I made along the way was delaying my MCAT by a year, which caused me to 1) score highly by way of extra dedicated study time and 2) have a gap year during which I worked as a scribe, a terrific experience.

Do whatever it takes to get the highest MCAT score possible, like 520+. GPA can only be repaired so much, and you've already proved you can do well in classes. A high MCAT will earn consideration at some schools that otherwise would have filtered you out based on GPA.

Also, with the "red flag" grades, which are pretty significant, you will need to make resilience, personal growth, and self-awareness the story of your application as told through the personal statement and evidenced by everything else. If you apply to enough medical schools, you will have favorable odds of acceptance to at least one school if everything from now until then works out.

I want to preface this post with a brief explanation of my rather unorthodox undergraduate experience. Although I am rather disappointed/ashamed in myself, I want to provide honest insight into my journey. In order to understand my circumstances, there are a few important factors that shaped me early on. I grew up in a small town with a population of <6,000; the only doctor I knew personally was my PCP. High school was a rough time for me. I don't want to make excuses for myself, as I fully acknowledge the role of my own decisions (or lack thereof), but the school was severely sub-par and opportunities were limited. I had no clear role models, aspirations or drive at this time in my life. The only thing I knew for sure was that I needed to move away. Sadly, with a mediocre HS GPA, I didn't have many exciting options.

Starting college, there was a drastic shift in my outlook on life and my inner world. I began to search for my passion and purpose. I became cerebral, introspective, and curious--reading everything I could get my hands on. I shuffled around state schools trying to solve my problems with external solutions. I majored in business -> biology -> physics -> psychology (current). My memories of the first three years of undergrad are clouded with indecision, discontent, and profound loneliness. Without any clear objectives, I waffled my way through the system. This was a difficult time, as it is for many young adults; yet in retrospect a time of immense growth.

Eventually, I made a smart decision and took a semester off to reevaluate. I traveled internationally and ended up moving to California, still unsure of what I was doing. This was a major turning point. I finally felt like I was living somewhere I was happy with far away from the small town I grew up in. Realizing that throughout the previous years, the only constant was my passion for my own health. I won't get into my "why medicine", as it is not relevant to this discussion. What is relevant is the dramatic shift in the way I lived my life. I had a clear goal in mind and knew I would do whatever it took to obtain it. It is amazing what a clear goal can do to change your life. My GPA spiked; I started to gain clinical and volunteer experiences, and plan for the future.

Here we are now. I am one year into my reinvention, with one year of undergraduate to go. If all goes as planned this year I will graduate with ~85 credits of 3.8+. I will continue to accumulate EC hours and plan to take the MCAT either this summer or before June 2021.

GPA/Trends

Semester 4 (School 3), 6 credits2.0* 2 W's not due to performance, but rather disinterest
Semester 6 (School 3), 12 credits1.53* F in Clac II, bc I stopped going so I could travel
Semester 7 (School 4), 17 credits3.824*Finished GE req. for entrance into CA state school @ a CC
Extracurriculars:

Clinical Volunteering:

Zero. I just completed my EMT certification. Planning on finding a volunteer gig when I have the time.

Paid Clinical:

Leadership:

Research:

Hobbies:

• Love

GPA/Trends

Extracurriculars:

Clinical Volunteering:

Paid Clinical:

Leadership:

Research:

Hobbies:

I can only pray I turn things around like you and congratulations