Middle East Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim_shedi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I am a high school student looking for colleges that have a good premed pathway in the middle east, mainly because I plan on transferring back to the states after a year or two of college and complete my studies there. My estimated end GPA of high school is around a 3.8-3.9 and my predicted next SAT score is around the mid 700 for math and around 650 for English. I've heard about Cornell's med school there but I'm not sure if I'll make it there. I am mainly focused on the gulf area, and the other big part of my search is the cost. I want it to be as low as possible (5-10k per year) mainly to start becoming independent. What are my options?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I am a high school student looking for colleges that have a good premed pathway in the middle east, mainly because I plan on transferring back to the states after a year or two of college and complete my studies there. My estimated end GPA of high school is around a 3.8-3.9 and my predicted next SAT score is around the mid 700 for math and around 650 for English. I've heard about Cornell's med school there but I'm not sure if I'll make it there. I am mainly focused on the gulf area, and the other big part of my search is the cost. I want it to be as low as possible (5-10k per year) mainly to start becoming independent. What are my options?

Having a foreign transcript from a non-Western country would likely hurt your chances of getting into a US medical school.

Could you just go to a US university and participate in a university-sponsored study abroad program for a semester or two? I think that would be far preferable to your current plan.

Having a foreign transcript from a non-Western country would likely hurt your chances of getting into a US medical school.

Could you just go to a US university and participate in a university-sponsored study abroad program for a semester or two? I think that would be far preferable to your current plan.
The school I am enrolled with now is an american based online school, so technically yes I am enrolled in a western school. Also, I've never heard of university sponsored study abroad programs. Can I supposedly enroll in a US college and start the study abroad program beginning from the first semester of college in, say, Dubai or Qatar, without setting foot on the campus of that college?

Members don't see this ad :)
The school I am enrolled with now is an american based online school, so technically yes I am enrolled in a western school. Also, I've never heard of university sponsored study abroad programs. Can I supposedly enroll in a US college and start the study abroad program beginning from the first semester of college in, say, Dubai or Qatar, without setting foot on the campus of that college?

Please clarify: Are you a US citizen or US resident, or are you currently a citizen/resident of a Middle Eastern country?

Also, why is this post in the section for osteopathic pre-meds?

Please clarify: Are you a US citizen or US resident, or are you currently a citizen/resident of a Middle Eastern country?
I'm a US citizen currently residing in a Middle eastern country. I technically can state that I reside in the United States since my family owns a house in LA.
Sorry for posting this in osteopathic pre-med, meant to post it in Md premed

I'm a US citizen currently residing in a Middle eastern country. I technically can state that I reside in the United States since my family owns a house in LA.
Sorry for posting this in osteopathic pre-med, meant to post it in Md premed

"LA"? Louisiana or Los Angeles?

Study abroad programs at various universities in California (a starting point):
UC Education Abroad Program | UCLA Study Abroad
UC Education Abroad Program
UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) | UC Davis Study Abroad
Welcome | UCB Study Abroad
Study Abroad at UC San Diego
Education Abroad Program at UCSB | UCSB Education Abroad Program
CSU International Programs
Overseas Studies > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Study Abroad Opportunities - International Center - University of San Diego
What Is an Approved Program?

Some US medical schools require pre-reqs to be completed at a US institution, and virtually all others would highly prefer this. If your goal is to get into a US medical school, do yourself a huge favor and finish your pre-reqs at a US university. Maybe take a semester/academic year during your junior or senior year to study abroad, if that's what you really want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Study abroad programs at various universities in California (a starting point):
UC Education Abroad Program | UCLA Study Abroad
UC Education Abroad Program
UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) | UC Davis Study Abroad
Welcome | UCB Study Abroad
Study Abroad at UC San Diego
Education Abroad Program at UCSB | UCSB Education Abroad Program
CSU International Programs
Overseas Studies > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Study Abroad Opportunities - International Center - University of San Diego
What Is an Approved Program?

Some US medical schools require pre-reqs to be completed at a US institution, and virtually all others would highly prefer this. If your goal is to get into a US medical school, do yourself a huge favor and finish your pre-reqs at a US university. Maybe take a semester/academic year during your junior or senior year to study abroad, if that's what you really want to do.
Thank you so much for this. I finally have a good answer to my question.