Midlevels now taking over Dentistry...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
because this program was invented by, taught by, and is overseen by dentists WITH INPUT FROM PHYSICIANS WHO RUN ONE OF THE BEST PA PROGRAMS IN THE COUNTRY( u.wa). Not similar at all to the dnp movement. They are regulated by the dental board just like pa's are regulated by the medical board. They couldn't expand their practice parameters without the ok from dentists any more than a pa could start doing lap choles without ok from the medical board. The dental board could just say "dentex grads may only work in communities of under 1000 people and may only see those on public assistance" and that's the end of the story.
These folks are not np's. They are more like pa's who are tightly regulated and can do nothing without the explicit ok of the medical board. If i wanted to do laser tattoo removal i would have to get them to sign off on it. If these folks wanted to do crowns or bridges or whatever the dental board would need to sign off. These folks are overseen by dentists and are not independent providers of care. There is oversight in place BY DENTISTS...if they don't like the concept a yr from now they could pull all of their licenses. career done.

my response to a similar claim earlier in this thread ...

In theory, you're right - DNP isn't really controlled by medicine (ironically enough since it's what they want to practice), but the dental techs would probably be under control of the dental boards, through the schools, etc. However, the problem still remains - the dentists, admins of dental schools, etc, will open these programs now for profit and screw it up for people in the future. For example: say a program opens in a certain state because the school saw a way to make a nice little chunk of cash. People enroll, and the state dental board gives these techs (or whatever they're called) a certain sect of rights. They get out, practice, start spewing the anti-dentist attitude (much like the NPs/DNPs do) and the situation essentially becomes no different than the NP/DNP situation despite having a different origin. The school isn't going to shut down the program ... it's making them too much money. The state board isn't going to cut their rights, it would result in a huge lawsuit and by the time this rolled around, they would have probably established a significant lobbying group that would interject at multiple levels.

Unless the rules state that these techs MUST work under a dentist's license (which it won't because they wisely founded themselves upon the mantra that they work where there ARE NO DENTISTS - are you guys seeing the pattern yet), then the end result should really be no different than the issues happening in medicine right now.

Any dentist who cares 1% bout the wellbeing of their future colleagues or wants more than quick cash in the present will stomp this thing to death NOW. The writing is literally smeared on the walls. You can bring up non-sequiturs, argue straw men, etc, but it doesn't change the fact that this is textbook midlevel expansion. I'm not saying it will happen overnight, but don't expect it to be any different from ANYthing else we've seen thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

you are all missing the point. this isn't like crna vs mda as there is currently NO DENTAL CARE OF ANY KIND in the areas they are allowed to work. it's not like they will be putting the local dentist out of work. as I said in my first post, if dentists don't like it they could stop it easily by committing to work with those populations and taking whatever compensation the state will give them for doing so. and these folks aren't doing major procedures, they are cleaning teeth and doing simple extractions. do you really need even 2 yrs of training to do that? navy corpsman learn basic dentistry for the field in something like a week.
I understand the concerns over other midlevels competing with docs in areas in which both work but there is currently no one else doing the work they are undertaking.

Typical midlevel argument. "underserved"..."no care of any kind".."military corpsman do X, Y, Z with 1 week of training".."better than nothing".

So let the people move to where they can receive care. Don't dilute care because some folks live out in the boonies. They chose to live somewhere where care sucks, so let them figure it out...Don't impose a bunch of independent midlevel loser wannabes on the populace because a few rural folks don't want to live near civilization..

YUP, wouldn't it be horrible if folks in the deep south and appalachia got dental care as well as the native alaskans? we need to stop this now!
again, if the dentists are worried about this why don't they tackle the problem of unserved populations? it's put up or shut up. if they won't do the work someone else will do it for them.
yes, some care is better than no care. will bad things be missed? sure.
would these also be missed if no one ever saw them? yup.
so what's better for the population; adequate dental care and a chance that bad things will be picked up or no dental care and no chance that they will be picked up?
anyone know what % of medicaid pts most alaskan dentists have in their practices? I bet it's very low...kind of like all the docs who complain about pa's and np's taking over but only take cash or good insurance....put up or shut up folks....

How about the rural folks put up or shut up and move to civilization where care exists?

And you vilify docs who take cash only while talking about PAs and NPs taking over?

Is this really how PAs think? Maybe we should put them on our watchlist just like the NPs....

If it's gonna be two-tiered, the docs should get all the cash/good insurance while the midlevels get all the no-pays/medicaid..after all, you get what you pay for..

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont play coy man. We see thru your smoke too. Arent you the same guy who claimed that PAs should get automatic entry into MD residency programs? Yes, that was you (see my sig). We all know where this is going. Its the same old song and dance the PAs and NPs have used for years. First its all about the "rural access" crap and then 10 years later you've got idiot NPs trying to start up their own dermatology residencies in Miami Florida (yes that really did happen). This is about the $$$. Providing rural services has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.

Did he really say that PAs can go into residency?

Did he really say that PAs can go into residency?

He posted, in a PA type website or something, that PAs should be able to apply for MD/DO residencies. I have always been really supportive of PAs, and was extremely shocked by this statement.

What emedpa said was quoted out of context.

There are post grad training programs that are 1 year long for PA's already established, such as in surgery and other fields.

I read what emedpa said on the other forum. He stated that PA's should be able to fill the empty pgy-1 spots in primary care to get extra training. This would be after the match and scramble. Basically the left overs. Pgy-1 spot alone. Not a full FM residency, or surgery residency.

What emedpa said was quoted out of context.

There are post grad training programs that are 1 year long for PA's already established, such as in surgery and other fields.

I read what emedpa said on the other forum. He stated that PA's should be able to fill the empty pgy-1 spots in primary care to get extra training. This would be after the match and scramble. Basically the left overs. Pgy-1 spot alone. Not a full FM residency, or surgery residency.

Uh...PAs should never, EVER be allowed to apply to physician residencies.

You think they will be happy with "just a pgy-1" spot?

Ridiculous. Midlevels should be midlevels, leave the doctoring to physicians. Emedpa, can you please come and explain this whacked out statement?

Do you and other PAs honestly believe you should be able to access MD/DO GME? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here..

Uh...PAs should never, EVER be allowed to apply to physician residencies.

You think they will be happy with "just a pgy-1" spot?

Ridiculous. Midlevels should be midlevels, leave the doctoring to physicians. Emedpa, can you please come and explain this whacked out statement?

Do you and other PAs honestly believe you should be able to access MD/DO GME? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here..

PA'S already can do a # of specialty residencies in surgery, urology, critical care, em , etc. and have for decades(see www.appap.org). at many of these places pa's are the only house staff after hrs.
what would be the harm in allowing a pa to fill a pgy 1 spot in a primary care residency that no physician wanted?
the pa would still be a pa when they were done, they would just be a pa with more skills to offer to a physician employer. I work with several grads of em pa residencies. they don't threaten the docs any more than those who have not done a residency, they just have better skills from day 1.
your idea that everyone in a rural area should just move is idiotic. we both know that the entire population of alaska and appalachia can't just pack up and move to the city like the beverly hillbillies. these folks are still american citizens and deserve access to medical care. I don't understand why you guys are all threatened by a group of alaskans learning basic dental care from dentists, reporting to dentists, and being licensed by dentists to deliver care in their home communities. it would be easy to limit this to rural areas forever. once again we are not creating dnp's here. these folks will have no leverage for expansion unless dentists want to give it to them. it's interesting that there are no licensed dentists chiming into this thread about what a bad idea it is.

there was a study a few yrs ago looking at where pa's, md's, and do's were practicing 5 yrs after graduation( to r/o those doing loan repayment then leaving). the # staying in rural and underserved areas was pa>do>md.
I'll look for it.
NOT THE STUDY REFERENCED ABOVE BUT SAME IDEA:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1466573/

and another:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360931/

there have been native medical health care aides in alaska for yrs:http://www.akchap.org/
I think their training is something like 6 months and they do maybe 1/2 what a pa does(minor procedures, health maint. stuff, etc). am I worried that they will come down to the lower 48 and take my job? not in the least. in fact if I go work up there I will help train them.

anyone care to comment on my earlier posted links? you guys asked for studies and here they are....these were done by a physician organization too, not some dnp thinktank trying to make midlevels look good....

PA'S already can do a # of specialty residencies in surgery, urology, critical care, em , etc. and have for decades(see www.appap.org). at many of these places pa's are the only house staff after hrs.
what would be the harm in allowing a pa to fill a pgy 1 spot in a primary care residency that no physician wanted?
the pa would still be a pa when they were done, they would just be a pa with more skills to offer to a physician employer. I work with several grads of em pa residencies. they don't threaten the docs any more than those who have not done a residency, they just have better skills from day 1.
your idea that everyone in a rural area should just move is idiotic. we both know that the entire population of alaska and appalachia can't just pack up and move to the city like the beverly hillbillies. these folks are still american citizens and deserve access to medical care. I don't understand why you guys are all threatened by a group of alaskans learning basic dental care from dentists, reporting to dentists, and being licensed by dentists to deliver care in their home communities. it would be easy to limit this to rural areas forever. once again we are not creating dnp's here. these folks will have no leverage for expansion unless dentists want to give it to them. it's interesting that there are no licensed dentists chiming into this thread about what a bad idea it is.

PAs should not be able to fill any medical graduate educational spots. Period. These lines are becoming so god damn blurred it's absurd. If you want to fill a residency position, go to medical school, compete for the spot, apply, and prosper. However, quit justifying reasons why people who haven't gone to medical school should be able to complete medical training programs, call themselves doctors, etc, etc. Like you said, there are specialized PA post-graduate training programs ... stick to those. Shesshh.

Second, you're still looking at this thing through very naive eyes. I don't know if it's own purpose, or if you secretly think the doctoral level guys shouldn't be able to say what should and shouldn't happen, but we've all clearly laid out how this program has the ability to become precisely what every other midlevel, expansion, pain in the ass has become. I see absolutely no reason not to assume this isn't the same thing and encourage dentists to stomp it to DEATH immediately.

We already know your agenda. If youre not happy with the scope of PAs then you should just goto medschool. IF anything medical science is getting more advanced and more difficult. We should be increasing training hours and not advancing those with less knowledge.

People accept certain things when they live in places like rural areas. They also accept certain aspects of living in a big city.

PAs should not be able to fill any medical graduate educational spots. Period. These lines are becoming so god damn blurred it's absurd. If you want to fill a residency position, go to medical school, compete for the spot, apply, and prosper. However, quit justifying reasons why people who haven't gone to medical school should be able to complete medical training programs, call themselves doctors, etc, etc. Like you said, there are specialized PA post-graduate training programs ... stick to those. Shesshh.

Second, you're still looking at this thing through very naive eyes. I don't know if it's own purpose, or if you secretly think the doctoral level guys shouldn't be able to say what should and shouldn't happen, but we've all clearly laid out how this program has the ability to become precisely what every other midlevel, expansion, pain in the ass has become. I see absolutely no reason not to assume this isn't the same thing and encourage dentists to stomp it to DEATH immediately.

It seems the only people that are really concerned with mid level expansion are medical students and medical school graduates. And even among this population it isn't nearly as pervasive as you may believe. If you talk to an Ob/Gyn from any country (most of the developed world) that uses midwives for most child births, you will find most of them are highly supportive of these midlevels. Even more interesting if you look at the statistics in terms of child birth safety in these countries it is easy to see that midlevels don't increase the risk of child birth for both the mother and the baby.

The argument that allowing mid levels more freedom to practice if they demonstrate the aptitude and skills to do so will drag our health care system down to third world levels is both unsubstantiated and in the example of this thread - immoral. While the Lexus standard of health care may seem appealing you have yet to put forth any objective arguments as to why allowing poor people the ability to get basic health care that is not subsidized by the government will be a detriment to anyones well being besides your own

It seems the only people that are really concerned with mid level expansion are medical students and medical school graduates.

Oh, so the future physicians are the only people concerned with having their careers, wellbeing, and futures diluted, tarnished, and taken away? Weird, you think they would be the LAST people to give a damn.

And even among this population it isn't nearly as pervasive as you may believe. If you talk to an Ob/Gyn from any country (most of the developed world) that uses midwives for most child births, you will find most of them are highly supportive of these midlevels.

My comments refer to the good old, US of A ... frankly, I'm not overtly concerned with how physicians in other countries view midlevels (nor do I think many of my future colleagues are either). Furthermore, OB is a perfect example of why my argument is absurdly persuasive. For years, mid-wives have delivered non-COMPLEX births, and everything has been fine. They work with physicians ... no big deal. Right? Isn't this great for the OB/GYN to be able to focus on more complicated cases? Well, let's fastforward ... the mid-wives were able to use their militant lobbying group to get their reimbursement rates up to that of OB levels (as far as insurance companies are concerned ... OB/GYN - a physician with 4 years of medical school and 4 years of extensive residency training = mid-wife when it comes to vaginal deliveries.

Next, they now want to practice independently and work without a physicians license. Look at some of the news segments on it ... it's astonishing. These same people who seem to only want to fill gaps in rural areas now want full reimbursement rates and independent practice. Hmm ... doesn't seem to fit the original mantra. Doesn't seem to increase rural access (recently read an article about mid-wives pushing for independent practice in New York). Doesn't seem like they want to work within part of a team. Doesn't sound like the physicians are the ones clamoring for this. Sounds to me like these people see a back door into getting what they feel like they 'deserve' (because those fat cat OBs working 80 hours a week while 200k in debt need to be knocked down a peg), and they'll use a fake platform/stance to get it.

Even more interesting if you look at the statistics in terms of child birth safety in these countries it is easy to see that midlevels don't increase the risk of child birth for both the mother and the baby.

1. Proof

2. We're still talking about the US here

3. Mid-wives are used in simple, non-emergent, basic births. People also deliver babies at home in freaking bathtubs. Should we advocate that as well? What happens when the **** hits the fan and something goes wrong? Will these midlevels fall back on their surgical training and 17,000 hours spent in residency to assess and solve the problem? Doubt it. If you want to tell me taking a physician out of the birthing equation doesn't increase risks ... you're missing something.

The argument that allowing mid levels more freedom to practice if they demonstrate the aptitude and skills to do so will drag our health care system down to third world levels is both unsubstantiated and in the example of this thread - immoral. While the Lexus standard of health care may seem appealing you have yet to put forth any objective arguments as to why allowing poor people the ability to get basic health care that is not subsidized by the government will be a detriment to anyones well being besides your own

When did I make this argument. I don't think I've ever used the term 'third world,' nor any of the points you put forth. My biggest issues have always been patient confusion/misconception, patient safety (which has yet to be proven by any REAL studies - not one that assess simple births, look at outcomes of treating colds and referring to real doctors six months out, or ones that are funded, conducted by, and published by the ANA), and the fact that people are trying to practice medicine without going to medical school while simultaneously vilifying physicians (yet, who gets called when **** hits the fan?).

However, since these individuals want to get paid the same as physicians, they will actually do nothing to help the budgetary issues associated with health care, while also lowering the standard of care all around.

Furthermore, if you believe diluting the quality of care on the basis that certain individuals claim they want to practice in certain areas (with no guarantees that they will do any of this), then we simply disagree. Finally, I have absolutely no qualms stating that the wellbeing of my loved ones who will/do depend on my future income is something that is important and I will protect. Despite what many believe, a. doctors are not a bunch of money grubbing ****** who want to keep midlevels down so they can profit, b. physicians aren't civil servants who should put the wellbeing of EVERYONE else above their own friends and family. The fact that this ideal coincides with keeping patients safe and well informed only makes it more valuable.

Last edited:
Despite some disagreements with emedpa (about pgy1 spots going to PA students), he is NOT the enemy, nor are PAs in general. It's important to remember that...He has clarified his statements, and his agenda is good healthcare, MD/PA team, and that's good with me..

Despite some disagreements with emedpa (about pgy1 spots going to PA students), he is NOT the enemy, nor are PAs in general. It's important to remember that...He has clarified his statements, and his agenda is good healthcare, MD/PA team, and that's good with me..

I agree. I just find his views on entering PGY training spots a bit disheartening. However, I highly, highly support PAs/AAs, etc, over anything NP, DNP, CRNA related. Without question. Not only do I like the fact that they are overseen by a medical board and work with physicians, but, from what I can gather, the training is superior to other midlevel models.

thank you both for your kind words. I can understand how medical students and residents would not appreciate having pa's in their pgy slots.
how about this as an alternative statement instead(and I will remove my prior statement from the pa forum):
I favor increasing the # of pa postgrad residency slots, especially in primary care, so that any pa has a reasonable chance of getting a residency slot if they desire one.
there are currently many( > 20) postgrad pa surgical residencies, something like 10 in em and only 1 postgrad primary care pa residency( 2 if you count ob as primary care).
I think we will eventually see a requirement that pa's complete at least a 1 yr residency. this will severely limit mobility between specialties but I think hospitals will start to require these along with the new(next yr) "optional" specialty certifications for pa's. already I am seeing hospitals tighten up requirements for procedural privileges. when I got out of pa school it was "see one, do one", now it's "see 5, do 25 in the presence of someone already credentialed to do them, have someone sign off on them, and have your director write a letter to medical staff services requesting you be privileged to perform them".

I kinda agree with both JaggerPlate AND emedpa here, not that my opinion means anything...

There is a history in this country of giving midlevels plenty of rope and then having them turn around and hang the doctors with it. It's happened many times. Once they get a taste, they go for blood. Everyone wants all the positives and none of the negatives of the doctor's life.

However, properly trained midlevels (right now, that basically just means PAs and AAs) can really take some of the strain off doctors and I think they can actually be the answer to making medicine more (not less) palatable. For instance, hospitalist PAs take some of the strain off MDs who might not want to spend their evening admitting their patient into the hospital.

Also, pretty soon there won't even be a question of having PAs fill unfilled residency spaces, since there won't be any unfilled spaces with the glut of medical students coming out of school. There's nothing wrong with PA-specific residencies. PAs should be encouraged to get as much education as possible, but in the context of being a PA, not a doctor. If it became too closely intertwined with the medical school path, why would anyone even choose to become a PA? Unlike the NPs, where getting that "doctorate" means working full time and taking online MPH classes at night, further PA education is actual WORK. And at some point it would become close enough to actual physician education to not be worth it.

Thirdly...it's not realistic to think that those who have no healthcare access can just move to the cities to get it. Sh**, some of the people who have very little healthcare access live in the inner city. If all these people from rural areas and the inner city just moved to the suburbs...there would still be healthcare access problems, because the suburbs couldn't absorb it all. One expects that if these populations moved en masse to a specific area, the people in that area would immediately move out, and the problem would not be solved.