You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
midway college of pharmacy Application Thread
Started by bongos
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Great, another stand alone school. At least they're not citing a pharmacist shortage - they're citing a shortage of schools that can accept students.
What about this school makes it a place that you would like to apply? I'm asking this seriously.
What about this school makes it a place that you would like to apply? I'm asking this seriously.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied about two weeks ago when I found out about the school. I did ask E.Coleman if my app money would be refunded if the school went bust. She did not have an answer. Anyways, I applied to this school because of my 51st percentile ranking on the PCAT, it's location and my 3.4 GPA.
I applied about two months ago. This is the only 4 year traditional school that I applied to and the ONLY reason why is because I personally know the leadership they have and I trust it. I'd hoped to attend next year and I have been accepted to other schools but right now I don't think I will be going there but the way my year has been going I could end up anywhere. This is a long story that will take until Christmas to tell.
Prospective students need to be looking at other schools and not put all the eggs in one basket.
Prospective students need to be looking at other schools and not put all the eggs in one basket.
I saw them on the virtual pharmacy fair, they were on 9:30 and started the chat even before 10 am. They are very very nice, and the admissions was giving advice on the lounge chatroom. I dont think they are opening until 2012 though.
I keep getting brochures in the mail from them...for me that's a deal breaker right there.
They named a new Dean today so they are going thru some changes to say the least. They don't have a confirmed date for ACPE to do their preliminary site visit for precandidate and that won't happen until at least next spring. A ton of work will need to be accomplished if they hope to open Fall 2011. Who knows what will happen.
They named a new Dean today so they are going thru some changes to say the least. They don't have a confirmed date for ACPE to do their preliminary site visit for precandidate and that won't happen until at least next spring. A ton of work will need to be accomplished if they hope to open Fall 2011. Who knows what will happen.
A new Dean yesterday?😕 Interesting...please provide additional info and a link if this is available on the web anyplace. Many thanks!
The Dean is a professor who was previously at Texas A&M.
http://www.midway.edu/news-events/school-pharmacy-new-dean
http://www.midway.edu/news-events/school-pharmacy-new-dean
Ms E. Coleman and Virginia seem to be very nice people, they constantly keep students posted on status, according to them the first set of interview will be october 29. then others from january until the class is filled
...
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I understand it, they had a founding dean who had to step down for whatever reason. The new dean was already hired on at the college in another position and then bumped up to big dean.
HEY! I got an interview invite from Midway in the mail today. It's going down Oct 29th and I'm pretty excited!
Kool if you don't mind me asking what are your stats/pcat score?
Kool if you don't mind me asking what are your stats/pcat score?
For an interview at midway?
Stats: has some
PCAT: ditto
Kool if you don't mind me asking what are your stats/pcat score?
3.7sGPA, 3.3/3.4cGPA(PharmCAS/UK) and PCAT Comp 51
Though my PCAT is not impressive, I'll be rectifying this on Saturday. There would be a lot of pros and cons taking a chance on this school.
For an interview at midway?
Stats: has some
PCAT: ditto
![]()
Every school has it's start. Don't be so snide. It reflects poorly on your character.
I'm just sharing some love. 🙂
You guys are getting one of our (now ex) asst deans as your new dean, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this school.
To be honest, there's no room to comment anyway until the first class has a profile to see. I'm in a relatively new program, but our class average GPA and PCAT stats are pretty high.
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're choosing Midway? There's no tone attached to that question. I'm genuinely curious.
For me, the biggest factors were location and price, so I was definitely open to the idea of attending a "new" school.
You guys are getting one of our (now ex) asst deans as your new dean, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this school.
To be honest, there's no room to comment anyway until the first class has a profile to see. I'm in a relatively new program, but our class average GPA and PCAT stats are pretty high.
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're choosing Midway? There's no tone attached to that question. I'm genuinely curious.
For me, the biggest factors were location and price, so I was definitely open to the idea of attending a "new" school.
Last edited:
I'm just sharing some love. 🙂
You guys are getting one of our (now ex) asst deans as your new dean, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this school.
To be honest, there's no room to comment anyway until the first class has a profile to see. I'm in a relatively new program, but our class average GPA and PCAT stats are pretty high.
Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're choosing Midway? There's no tone attached to that question. I'm genuinely curious.
For me, the biggest factors were location and price, so I was definitely open to the idea of attending a "new" school.
Yeah, inflections and tone always get distorted in text. I knew you were originally joking...as was I. In regards to applying, this is only one of four schools I am applying to. Obviously, I am not UK school of Pharm material. So, I applied to schools that were within five hours of driving from my family. I'm not dependent on them, but I'd prefer to be a car ride away instead of a plane ride away. Also, Midway has a really awesome/invigorated staff.
Chakapow..
Are you applying to Sullivan? I'm applying to them, South, and Midway. Just curious b/c it looks like we are in same area.
Pharm B,
Do you know anything about the new Dean at Midway? I'm a little concerned about a new program playing musical chairs especially if that person had some problems and left another program.
Are you applying to Sullivan? I'm applying to them, South, and Midway. Just curious b/c it looks like we are in same area.
Pharm B,
Do you know anything about the new Dean at Midway? I'm a little concerned about a new program playing musical chairs especially if that person had some problems and left another program.
@VA77... I applied to Sullivan last year and this year. I think their three year program is pretty hip. Haven't heard anything from them this year..So, I doubt I will. Have you heard anything from them? I also applied to East Tenn and Samford. I am geographically located in Kentucky.
PharmB is only being modest because he never experienced the true nature of said Dean. I wish him luck but must admit:
I'm watching this school's progress solely out of morbid curiosity.
Like watching a youtube video of a carwreck.
I'm watching this school's progress solely out of morbid curiosity.
Like watching a youtube video of a carwreck.
I'm in VA but very close to KY. Haven't heard anything from Sullivan but they are my 1st choice. Are you going to be at Midway on the 29th? I'll be there in the afternoon.
Yeah, I'll be there at 8AM. If you plan on getting there early, I'll send you my number and give you the run down. Good luck.
Pharm B,
Do you know anything about the new Dean at Midway? I'm a little concerned about a new program playing musical chairs especially if that person had some problems and left another program.
I don't know too much except from the few times he taught our class.
He booked a Christian Science person to come speak to our school about faith healing, and apparently that particular forum hour wasn't very worthwhile.
In lecture, he made it a BIG point to tell us that "we're doctors, too" and basically declared that a pharmacist is better than a doctor.
I find that kind of rhetoric to be the exact opposite of helpful, as I have no intentions of kicking in the doors on a ward and declaring that I'm king. Pharmacists aren't doctors, so to create that kind of mentality in the school is a mistake in my opinion and does nothing to help you prepare to be part of a hospital team.
I genuinely didn't have much experience with the guy, so please take this with a grain of salt.
I think the worst thing is that he developed a lot of things that he either really thought were good ideas or just wanted to look good on paper. For example: every semester we had to write 50 page portfolios that included relevant items such as nature walks and eating ethnic food.
Once he stepped down from his position, other faculty began toning down a number of things he implemented.
Once he stepped down from his position, other faculty began toning down a number of things he implemented.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think we should be fixating on Midway's new dean. At Texas A&M, he did not always mesh well with people and there were disagreeances, but that is water under the bridge.
Anyho, best of wishes to you guys. Good luck with the interviews!
--Garfield3d
Anyho, best of wishes to you guys. Good luck with the interviews!
--Garfield3d
anybody going to be interviewing in March?
Yeah I'm in the afternoon session on the 23rd!! I'm very excited!! It will be my first pharmacy school interview!
This thread belongs in the School Specific Discussions area.
Has anybody been interviewed at Midway yet? If so, how is their interview process??
.
Last edited:
I also have an interview on the 23rd, but mine is the morning session (8 am). Does anyone know of any threads that may talk about previous Midway interviews?
I was talking with one of the guys who interviewed in Oct and he said it was pretty standard interview, why pharmacy, and why Midway.
They have some interview tips on their website and also included a reference document in an attachment on your interview invite email.
Good luck guys, we all are anxious for next Wednesday!!

There's an exam as part of the interview? I know there's a writing prompt but I didn't know there was going to be an exam. What did it test you?
There's an exam as part of the interview? I know there's a writing prompt but I didn't know there was going to be an exam. What did it test you?
From what it says on their website it is an ethical/reasoning exam, I don't think it test any chemistry/math concepts.
I was wondering if anybody interviewed on March 23rd? I didn't find the essay or ct exam that difficult, and my interview went really smooth.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was at the afternoon session and got the call this morning that i have been accepted.yayI was wondering if anybody interviewed on March 23rd? I didn't find the essay or ct exam that difficult, and my interview went really smooth.
I was at the afternoon session and got the call this morning that i have been accepted.yay
Me too!! What group where you in, I was in group A.🙂
congrats...i was in group D. Let me know when u intend to go visit there again.Me too!! What group where you in, I was in group A.🙂
Congrats on being accepted. You can join the Class of 2015 Facebook page below.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/home.php?sk=group_184240944939807&ap=1
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/home.php?sk=group_184240944939807&ap=1
Me too! I was accepted on Friday. I was in group c. Are you guys planning to accept?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K
- Locked
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 4K