This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can people update when they get off the waitlist for UW-Madison?
Yeah, please! I’m wondering if anyone has been pulled off yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.

I am currently a junior at UW-Stout, I am planning on applying to schools for OT this summer/fall (for the summer/fall of 2019) My top choices are the U of MN and Saint Kate’s. I am wondering what you guys think my chances are in getting in to those, as well as other schools in the Midwest. I would also love any other tips any of you may have!! Thank you.

Some of my stats include:
3.730 cumulative GPA
3.560 prerequisite GPA
Volunteer:
ALS Walk team leader - 10 years and counting
Mission trip to Kingston, Jamaica (stayed in an orphanage for kids with all kinds of disabilities and traveled each day to other orphanages/group homes for people with disabilities and helped out at those as well) - 10 days
Put on a blood drive through Pre-Health society - 10 hours
Help out at the Wellness Fair at Stout - 2 years
Work:
Dietary Aid for memory care patients - 5 years
Nanny for children with and without disabilities - 6 summers
Internships:
Pediatric therapy outpatient clinic - 250+ hours (worked with mainly the OT’s, but also speech, PT, and feeding therapists)
Nursing home rehab department - 200+ hours (worked with mainly the OT, but also the PT)
Certifications:
CPR/AED, licensed life guard
Organizations:
member of the Academic Honor Society, the Pre-Health Society, and a board member of the Rehabilitation Club
References:
Anatomy & Physiology Professor (also the science department chair), Director of OT (internship), Lead OT (other internship)
Awards:
Chancellors Award every semester of college

Please be honest too, if you don’t think I’d get it, tell me and also let me know why, so I can better prepare myself!!

What's your degree / minor? You have great experience to compensate the GPA. In my experience I felt that U of M was more reasonable (maybe has less applicants) to get into. St. Kate's faculty and admissions are a little bizarre or strange in that I know they've turned away worthy students with 4.0's and 400+ volunteer hours. But I think the mission trip will help you tremendously. At a St. Kate's information session (which I highly recommended), they explain they are looking for people with working experience within nursing or teach care essentially and less on shadowing. They are looking for people with this experience built in, I think your work experience definitely holds weight there. But get your foot in the door and go to an info session with both programs. Touring the site / campus and meeting faculty can make a huge difference!

I recommended applying to at least one more school too. Just because interests and life can change sometimes throughout the process. That is GREAT you are applying early too, I did the same and feel like it helped a lot and I wasn't rushed through my senior year.

I’m currently on the wait list there, they said I hold a “strong position” but I’m not sure what that actually means I feel like I lot of people have said that’s what Madison told them too haha. Has anyone else heard from UW Milwaukee yet??
Did you end up getting off the waitlist from your "strong" position?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody hear back from UMN yet?
I heard back a few weeks ago. I think that was the first round of acceptances and that they will start pulling after they hear back from this initial group of people.

I heard back a few weeks ago. I think that was the first round of acceptances and that they will start pulling after they hear back from this initial group of people.
Awesome! Are you going to be attending?

Awesome! Are you going to be attending?

I also heard back a few weeks ago, but they were waiting to send out offical admissions letters until today. I think they will be giving us a week or two to respond and put down a deposit. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should attend. The OTD makes tuition over $100,000, whereas some of the masters programs are around or less than $50,000. I'm also nervous about the hybrid format. How do you guys feel about the program?

I also heard back a few weeks ago, but they were waiting to send out offical admissions letters until today. I think they will be giving us a week or two to respond and put down a deposit. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should attend. The OTD makes tuition over $100,000, whereas some of the masters programs are around or less than $50,000. I'm also nervous about the hybrid format. How do you guys feel about the program?
I’m kind of indifferent about it just because we won’t get that interaction with our classmates or professors that much. And since they’re now accepting students for the OTD program, tuition would be more expensive. I got accepted to another school and it’s an OTD program as well, the only problem is that it’s a private school and tuition there is a lot more.

Did you get the acceptance letter yesterday?

Found out I’m on the waitlist. Hoping a lot of people decline their acceptance.

I heard back, and they gave me until May 5th to accept or decline. So, hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! I still haven't fully decided. What do you guys like about Minnesota? Do you feel like you'll get enough hands-on training with the online format?

Also, has anyone heard back from Milwaukee? I got in a few weeks ago, but since then, they've been difficult to get in touch with.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard back, and they gave me until May 5th to accept or decline. So, hopefully you'll be hearing back soon! I still haven't fully decided. What do you guys like about Minnesota? Do you feel like you'll get enough hands-on training with the online format?

Also, has anyone heard back from Milwaukee? I got in a few weeks ago, but since then, they've been difficult to get in touch with.
I really like the hybrid set up, and I am also from the Midwest so the location was very important!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m from Minnesota so I liked it so I could stay close to home. I applied a few other places and wasn’t accepted. I’m a little nervous about the hybrid format but I’d rather do that than nothing at all! Good to know they gave you until May 5th! Hoping and praying I get an email soon!!
I ended up declining my offer, so hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything new from Midwestern IL about alternate list movement?

Did anyone in this thread get into Saint Kates? I was wondering how they had notified people, email or just sending a letter in the mail. On OTCAS it says you will be mailed a letter which I thought it was odd they wouldn't do both.

Hello everyone! I just got an email today that I got waitlisted for St. Scholastica. Has anyone else received an email if they got in or waitlisted? If you got in, do you plan on attending? I am just trying to see my chances of getting in off the waitlist. I have an interview coming up at the University of South Dakota in a couple weeks so I'm hoping that goes well! Good luck to everyone finding out admissions in the next couple of months!

Hello everyone! I just got an email today that I got waitlisted for St. Scholastica. Has anyone else received an email if they got in or waitlisted? If you got in, do you plan on attending? I am just trying to see my chances of getting in off the waitlist. I have an interview coming up at the University of South Dakota in a couple weeks so I'm hoping that goes well! Good luck to everyone finding out admissions in the next couple of months!
I also got waitlisted!

Did anyone in this thread get into Saint Kates? I was wondering how they had notified people, email or just sending a letter in the mail. On OTCAS it says you will be mailed a letter which I thought it was odd they wouldn't do both.
I was also sent the same email back in December! Have you heard anything yet? I’ve been refreshing my email every 30 minutes since Monday I figured they said “by early February” so that should hopefully be this week or next.

I was also sent the same email back in December! Have you heard anything yet? I’ve been refreshing my email every 30 minutes since Monday I figured they said “by early February” so that should hopefully be this week or next.
Oops, I replied to the wrong message of yours. I’ve been checking my mail and email, but other schools seem to be mailing and emailing, so I assume they would do both!

I was accepted to st. Scholastics but I am planning on attending Carroll University so I will be rejecting st scholasticas offer. Hope you get off the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted to UW Milwaukee and Columbia recently and can’t decide where to go! I am out of state UW Milwaukee and Columbia is private so tuition would be similar. Does anyone have any insight about UW Milwaukee that would help? I know this is very specific but any advice is appreciated!

I was accepted to UW Milwaukee and Columbia recently and can’t decide where to go! I am out of state UW Milwaukee and Columbia is private so tuition would be similar. Does anyone have any insight about UW Milwaukee that would help? I know this is very specific but any advice is appreciated!
I am a current MSOT student at UW-Milwaukee, so if you have questions you can message me directly if you'd like!

Congrats! I have yet to hear from UW Milwaukee. Do you know when their first day of classes are?

Just found out this morning that I was accepted into UW-Milwaukee and I have accepted my spot! Can’t wait to start. Please reach out to me if you’ve been accepted as well! I can’t wait to start connecting with future classmates

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just found out this morning that I was accepted into UW-Milwaukee and I have accepted my spot! Can’t wait to start. Please reach out to me if you’ve been accepted as well! I can’t wait to start connecting with future classmates
Congrats, that's so exciting!! Did you apply only on OTCAS?

Congrats, that's so exciting!! Did you apply only on OTCAS?
Yes! I went to the open house and was told to only apply on OTCAS, and then to actually apply to the graduate school once I was accepted.

Yes! I went to the open house and was told to only apply on OTCAS, and then to actually apply to the graduate school once I was accepted.
Okay good to know! Thanks for sharing.