Midwest Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarquetteGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be a first year podiatry student at DMU starting this fall and I know residency is a long way off, but I was wondering if anybody could give me some information/suggestions about good 3 year surgical residency programs in the Milwaukee or Chicago areas? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

MarquetteGuy said:
Hi,
I am going to be a first year podiatry student at DMU starting this fall and I know residency is a long way off, but I was wondering if anybody could give me some information/suggestions about good 3 year surgical residency programs in the Milwaukee or Chicago areas? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

go to www.aacpm.org and click on residencies and/ or clerkships then click on the state you are looking for all the programs are listed for each state.

read about the programs. then ask what we think about specific programs.

MarquetteGuy said:
Hi,

As krabmas recommended, AACPM residency directory will be a place to start in looking for programs in the Chicago / Milwaukee area. Many of the upper classmen at Scholl and some DMU will probably know some of the better 3 year surgical residency programs in those areas. I know that the 3 year surgical residency program at Loyola University Medical Center (PM&S-36) is an excellent program. Several of my classmates from TUSPM graduated from there and related that they received excellent training. It is one of those programs where they work with Orthopedic Surgery attendings at a level one trauma center.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your opinions on these programs in CA:

1. Kaiser Foundation Hospital, Vallejo
2. Kaiser Hospital, Hayward Catholic Health System - Sisters of Charity, Buffalo
3. Kaiser Hospital, Santa Clara
4. San Francisco Bay Area Foot & Ankle, San Francisco
5. St. Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco

Does anyone know why CSPM's reputation has gone downhill in recent years? I heard their boards passing rate is the lowest compared to all the other pod school. Is that true?

Clovers said:
What are your opinions on these programs in CA:

1. Kaiser Foundation Hospital, Vallejo
2. Kaiser Hospital, Hayward Catholic Health System - Sisters of Charity, Buffalo
3. Kaiser Hospital, Santa Clara
4. San Francisco Bay Area Foot & Ankle, San Francisco
5. St. Mary's Medical Center, San Francisco

Does anyone know why CSPM's reputation has gone downhill in recent years? I heard their boards passing rate is the lowest compared to all the other pod school. Is that true?

Probably poor leadership. They used to be affiliated w/ a medical school but that is gone. The facilities are very run down and in a great (sarcasm) neighborhood.

As for the board scores, I can't comment b/c they are not made public knowledge. CSPM's dean is one of the people that want that info kept under wraps. So again, I think it is poor leadership.

CSPM is one of the few schools who did reveal their board scores at last years APMSA House of Delegates meeting so I can say that they were the lowest of the schools that chose to reveal them. However it is important to recognize that rather than disguise them their student government president made them available to the rest of us and asked for input on how other schools were preparing for the boards. We actually sent a student back to each of their respective schools to collect information on how accurately students felt the boards measured what they know and to gather suggestions to help other students. Unfortunately the best way to truly prepare for boards is with an appropriately challenging 2yrs of medical school and it is my opinion that the schools with the low scores need to examine how they are teaching those first years. One of the student leaders from CSPM I spoke with wasn't as concerned because there are a lot of residencies on the west coast who have traditionally taken SCPM students and will probably continue to so, so he felt confident he would get a program in CA. If you are in the top of your class at school you have a really good chance of getting the residency you want so work hard and don't stress about it too much until you get those first few years under your belt.

Hi,
Here is a list of some of the residencies I am looking at once I'm done with school at DMU. Please pass along any info/suggestions/opinions pertaining to any of these 3-year surgical residencies. Thanks for any help.
1. St. Joseph Regional Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI
2. Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center/SCPM, Chicago
3. Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood
4. Mercy Hospital and Medical Center, Chicago
5. Michael Reese Hospital/Oak Forest Hospital, Chicago
6. Mt. Sinai Hospital Medical Center, Chicago
7. Rush North Shore Medical Center, Skokie
8. Sacred Heart Hospital, Chicago
9. St. Joseph's Hospital/DVA - North Chicago, Chicago
Sorry for the long list of residencies, but this is all I could find for 3-year surgical residencies. If anyone can offer any help/input towards any of these residencies, I would love to hear it- both positive and negative. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

gustydoc said:
CSPM is one of the few schools who did reveal their board scores at last years APMSA House of Delegates meeting so I can say that they were the lowest of the schools that chose to reveal them. However it is important to recognize that rather than disguise them their student government president made them available to the rest of us and asked for input on how other schools were preparing for the boards. We actually sent a student back to each of their respective schools to collect information on how accurately students felt the boards measured what they know and to gather suggestions to help other students. Unfortunately the best way to truly prepare for boards is with an appropriately challenging 2yrs of medical school and it is my opinion that the schools with the low scores need to examine how they are teaching those first years. One of the student leaders from CSPM I spoke with wasn't as concerned because there are a lot of residencies on the west coast who have traditionally taken SCPM students and will probably continue to so, so he felt confident he would get a program in CA. If you are in the top of your class at school you have a really good chance of getting the residency you want so work hard and don't stress about it too much until you get those first few years under your belt.

This is why I think it is a joke to have a pass/fail Part I national boards. The student that is ranked 20th at one college may score higher on the boards that a student at a lower college that is ranked 1st. Where is the equalization? I know people say, "They know that CPMS/Scholl/Temple are harder." But honestly would how can a residency director compare a top ranked student to a mid-ranked student w/o board scores. You can't and that mid-ranked student is the one who suffers.

I'm not to aware of those residencies, but you may have an uphill battle at some of them. That is Scholl turf you are stepping on, and some programs have close ties to schools. I do know that Dr. Sean Grambart works in the area. I can't remember where, but he teaches at the U of I medical school. He is a CPMS alumni and someone that you might contact for advice/help.

Dr_Feelgood said:
This is why I think it is a joke to have a pass/fail Part I national boards. The student that is ranked 20th at one college may score higher on the boards that a student at a lower college that is ranked 1st. Where is the equalization? I know people say, "They know that CPMS/Scholl/Temple are harder." But honestly would how can a residency director compare a top ranked student to a mid-ranked student w/o board scores. You can't and that mid-ranked student is the one who suffers.

:thumbup: Maybe if how you did on boards beyond a pass/fail made a difference when applying to residencies more students would take them more seriously.

gustydoc said:
:thumbup: Maybe if how you did on boards beyond a pass/fail made a difference when applying to residencies more students would take them more seriously.

Myself included. I think that as young podiatrist we need to take a long look at the mistakes of our predecessors and learn.

gustydoc said:

Do you know if Scholl has posted thier scores? Are they comparable to DMU?

Dr_Feelgood said:
I'm not to aware of those residencies, but you may have an uphill battle at some of them. That is Scholl turf you are stepping on, and some programs have close ties to schools. I do know that Dr. Sean Grambart works in the area. I can't remember where, but he teaches at the U of I medical school. He is a CPMS alumni and someone that you might contact for advice/help.

I met a DPM who went to DMU and then a Scholl affiliated externship. Possibly you could do this, if it would help your chances with the Chicago residencies.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Myself included. I think that as young podiatrist we need to take a long look at the mistakes of our predecessors and learn.
Feelgood and gusty, I have to say that I expect a lot out of you two as far as leadership goes when we are all out and practicing. I expect you to take charge of the APMA and CPME and start knocking some heads. As for me, Ill just be basking in my riches in some place where I wont want to be bothered by your political games. :laugh: