Midwestern-AZ SMP Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone find a place to live yet? oh I got in finally, now i need a place maybee a roomate PM me

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone looking for a roommate? I was just accepted last week, so I'm now looking for a place. I'm female, originally from Southern Cali. I'm hoping to find another female to rent a 2 bedroom apt with.

Members don't see this ad :)
found the schedule for the MA program looks cool i think im gonna dust off the old physio book for a review

CURRICULUM LISTING
Sample curriculum, course credits, and sequencing
Not all electives are offered every year.

Fall Quarter, (15 credits minimum)
Required Courses:
BMED 502 Histology 3 credits
BMED 500 Introduction to Capstone
Course
1 credit
BMED 550 Biochemistry 5 credits
PHYS 471 Human Physiology I 4 credits
MHPE 505 Learning Styles and Assessment 1 credit
Total 14 credits

Elective Course Options: 3 Elective Credits Required
BMED 306 Health Career Planning 2 credits
BMED 307 Medical Terminology 2 credits
BMED 560 Biophysics 4 credits
BMED 560L Biophysics Lab 2 credits
BMED 404 Pre-professional Exam
Preparation I
2 credits
BMED 429 Epidemiology 1 credit
BMED 440 Oncology 3 credits
BMED 571 Medicinal Chemistry I 1.5
credits

Winter Quarter, (15 credits minimum)
Required Courses:
BMED 503 Human Anatomy with
Laboratory
4 credits
BMED 522 Microbiology, Immunology and
Virology I
3 credits
BMED 574 Pharmacology I 3 credits
PHYS 482 Human Physiology II 4 credits
Total 14 credits

Elective Course Options: 1 Elective Credit Required
BMED 322 Issues in Bioterrorism 1 credit
BMED 323 Medical Virology 4 credits
BMED 341 Genetics I 3 credits
BMED 375 Pharmacognosy 2 credits
BMED 405 Pre-professional Exam
Preparation II
2 credits
BMED 450 Nutritional Biochemistry with
Laboratory
4 credits
BMED 570 Drug Literature Evaluation 1.5 credits
BMED 572 Medicinal Chemistry II 1.5 credits

Spring Quarter, (15 credits minimum)
Required Courses:
BMED 523 Microbiology, Immunology
and Virology II
3 credits
BMED 575 Pharmacology II 3 credits
BMED 590 Capstone Course 3 credits
ETHC 501 Introduction to Medical Ethics 3 credits
Total 12 credits

Elective Course Options: 3 Elective Credits Required
BMED 409 Drugs of Addiction 2 credits
BMED 504 Neuroanatomy 2 credits
BMED 435 Pathophysiology 4 credits
BMED 442 Genetics II 3 credits
BMED 477 Dangerous Plants and Animals 2 credits
BMED 511 Research Design and Statistics 3 credits
BMED 573 Medicinal Chemistry III 1.5 credits

...recently accepted...I'm a female from Portland, OR looking to rent an apartment near campus (i.e. San Lagos or San Prado)...need a roommate~preferably female :) Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss...

:luck:

Hey guys, if I wanted to ask the program director something, should I just e-mail [email protected] or is there a specific e-mail address? I haven't applied yet.

Hi KiwiBruin~

You can email that address, yes...but you can also email Dr.Bell ([email protected]). My best advice would be to just call, often times quicker :)

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response DomerSB!

I don't know how I missed this, but this time around I found the right info! =D

BELL, Leonard, Ph.D.
Title: Program Director and Professor
Department: Biomedical Sciences - Glendale
Phone: 623-572-3620
Fax: 623-572-3647
Email: [email protected] - vCard

Thanks again. I will give him a call!

Hi, i just got accepted into the MBS program. i am looking for someone to rent 2 bedrooms apartment with in San Lagos, Sage Stone, or San Prado. I am male. So if you are interested pls email me at: [email protected]
thank you

If anyone is still looking for a roomate, PM me. I'm a male and looking to rent either a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment somewhere in the San Lagos or San Pedro complexes. Both male and female roomates are welcome.

moz-screenshot.jpg
hi everyone. i am current renting a 1 bedroom apartment in san lagos. and i am looking for someone to rent my living room. It is bigger than the master bedroom has a big balcony. and the entire living room is a close space. that only connects to the dinning room. the entire rent is 845 per month. and i am renting the living room for 350 per month and we split the electric 50/50. if anyone is interested pls pm me. male and female are both weclome. pls pm me is you are interested.

7294.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if student housing is still available??? I'm in the MA program just wondering about student housing.

anyone has information about the automatic interview for DO program??

Does anyone know if student housing is still available??? I'm in the MA program just wondering about student housing.

I got a one bedroom on campus and they said i got the Last one! call up Jose at housing there might be 2 beds avail

I just got accepted today to the MA program at Glendale. I am contemplating whether to accept it or not...I feel like it's so late to move from CA to AZ at this point, but my alternative is to take science classes at a JC back home. Would I have time to study for the DAT if I do this program?

Very doubtful that you would have time to study. I am going into the 2nd year right now of the MBS and am taking my DAT tomorrow! I did not study for it at all during the year because of the course load, but this summer has been better so I am now ready.

IMO, do this program over a JC from an academic standpoint.

Very doubtful that you would have time to study. I am going into the 2nd year right now of the MBS and am taking my DAT tomorrow! I did not study for it at all during the year because of the course load, but this summer has been better so I am now ready.

IMO, do this program over a JC from an academic standpoint.

Do you have any tips for the incoming students on the biomedical classes (biochem, histology, physio, anatomy etc.) you took? What are the classes/lectures/exams/professors like compared to undergrad?

Do you have any tips for the incoming students on the biomedical classes (biochem, histology, physio, anatomy etc.) you took? What are the classes/lectures/exams/professors like compared to undergrad?

It is difficult for me to say how much different it will be than your undergrad, but for me, I majored in Physiology so I had some idea of the type/style and demand of classes and the material involved. The pace (quarters vs semesters) was a big adjustment. There will be a pretty big exam almost once a week from week 3 to finals. The key to success is studying everyday. You cannot prepare for the exams the night/weekend before if you want an A. IMO, getting a C+/B- is easy, it is the extra daily work needed to really climb up in points.

Professors are very nice, specifically the biomed faculty. All are very approachable and are there to help you.

Classes are very intimate compared to a large undergrad university. Notes are provided (ppt printouts) for literally every lecture. Textbooks are practically useless for most classes (Pharm possibly) and most instructors test exclusively from class slides.

I will break down hardest classes per quarter:

1st: Biochem and Phys

2nd: Phys II and Anatomy, Pharm I a distant third.

3rd: Pharm II, MIV II a distant 2nd. (3rd quarter is the easiest.)

****In terms of learning, take an active stance, just because you have the powerpoints does not mean you do not need to participate or think in lecture. Use the lectures to benefit yourself, do not just sit through them. Do go to class.****

Take some electives as these are easy and a good boost to the GPA.

My recommendations this fall would be biophysics, med terms and oncology. I am lined up to be a TA in biophysics. The name sounds intimidating but the teacher is excellent and he understands that it is an elective so it is not difficult as compared to core classes.

I will take med terms and Oncology this fall.

Last year med terms was taught online and was an easy 2 credits of A where you learn something that will help familiarize you with things that come up along the way.

Oncology, the most difficult elective of the quarter, yet most benefincial (IMO) will be taught by Dr. Jones, the MBS program director. Taking oncology will prepare you for Pharmacology I and II which are taught by Jones. If you are able to get comfortable with him in the elective it will make pharm more bearable and flatten your learning curve.

Hopes this helps, sorry about the length! I have got alot to say and pass on to anyone who wants to know! There was an individual that helped me out last year and I would like to pay his deed forward to the next class.

It is difficult for me to say how much different it will be than your undergrad, but for me, I majored in Physiology so I had some idea of the type/style and demand of classes and the material involved. The pace (quarters vs semesters) was a big adjustment. There will be a pretty big exam almost once a week from week 3 to finals. The key to success is studying everyday. You cannot prepare for the exams the night/weekend before if you want an A. IMO, getting a C+/B- is easy, it is the extra daily work needed to really climb up in points.

Professors are very nice, specifically the biomed faculty. All are very approachable and are there to help you.

Classes are very intimate compared to a large undergrad university. Notes are provided (ppt printouts) for literally every lecture. Textbooks are practically useless for most classes (Pharm possibly) and most instructors test exclusively from class slides.

****In terms of learning, take an active stance, just because you have the powerpoints does not mean you do not need to participate or think in lecture. Use the lectures to benefit yourself, do not just sit through them. Do go to class.****

My recommendations this fall would be biophysics, med terms and oncology. I am lined up to be a TA in biophysics. The name sounds intimidating but the teacher is excellent and he understands that it is an elective so it is not difficult as compared to core classes.

Last year med terms was taught online and was an easy 2 credits of A where you learn something that will help familiarize you with things that come up along the way.

Oncology, the most difficult elective of the quarter, yet most benefincial (IMO) will be taught by Dr. Jones, the MBS program director. Taking oncology will prepare you for Pharmacology I and II which are taught by Jones. If you are able to get comfortable with him in the elective it will make pharm more bearable and flatten your learning curve.

Hopes this helps, sorry about the length! I have got alot to say and pass on to anyone who wants to know! There was an individual that helped me out last year and I would like to pay his deed forward to the next class.
Can you talk a little more about the classes you found to be the most difficult? What about the format of the exams? Where is your favorite studying spot? Is there wireless internet on campus? Thanks!! You are very helpful!

Last edited:

Wow....thanks a lot...that answered many questions I had in the back of my mind. I have a more specific question for you though, I read what you said about electives, but I have also seen that they have Professional Exam Prep on the curriculum. Are those still going to be offered (Said not offered all the time), if so, how helpful are they...I noticed you said you studied for the DAT over the summer? Good luck btw, I have to take mine again.

I went to a UC and also majored in Physiology. Can you talk a little more about the classes you found to be the most difficult? What about the format of the exams? Where is your favorite studying spot? Is there wireless internet on campus? Thanks!! You are very helpful!

1st Quarter most difficult classes were Biochem and Physiology. Not because the material was brand new to me, it was just in a very large volume and more detailed. 5 hours a week of material for biochem and 4 for phys was alot. Also, the exams, unlike undergrad are not taken during the regularly scheduled class time. They are taken (the entire class at once) during a gap in the schedule. Format was multiple choice (w/1 page short ans. in biochem) for almost every exam that I can think of. Favorite study spot was/is the library, I can't get stuff done at home. I would study in rooms (3rd floor) with classmates and quiz/review material in an active setting. ie. using the board to draw diagrams, quiz off flash cards, etc. The way that the school is growing, the library may be fairly crowded this year. I can't say it enough, just staying on top of stuff daily will make things much easier. (For example, if your class schedule starts at 10 on a monday: either be at the library til midnight the night before and sleep in til class or go to be early and be on campus early to study a couple hours before class; study in between classes during the day) A couple hard core study sessions a night or two before the exams will not cut it if you want A's. Wireless exists in a couple areas (library and cafateria/outside around cafe) however most class rooms do not have wireless. The bldg where many Biomed classes are taken (Cholla) also has bad reception for iPhones :mad:

Wow....thanks a lot...that answered many questions I had in the back of my mind. I have a more specific question for you though, I read what you said about electives, but I have also seen that they have Professional Exam Prep on the curriculum. Are those still going to be offered (Said not offered all the time), if so, how helpful are they...I noticed you said you studied for the DAT over the summer? Good luck btw, I have to take mine again.

Prepro exam prep is specifically geared toward the MCAT (2 quarters total-fall and winter), and as you know the DAT does have the same material minus physics, plus QR and PAT. So the class was not that helpful IMO. I sat in on it (not registered/it was cool with the prof) as the credit is somewhat worthless in terms of science grades when you could take something more useful. 9 months of classes that you take in the program cannot be taken over or at another time whereas the DAT can be studied for whenever so, in essence just focus on the program and getting the best grades possible. Trying to stuff the DAT or whatever prepro exam studying in will only hurt you in the long run from my experience. I wanted to study for the DAT and originally take it in March or April but found that I was not going to be able to stuff it all in, I did not let my program grades suffer but I was definitely not prepared for the DAT (I had only taken the GRE for MBS admission). As of today, after a summer of studying I am now ready (I am taking it at noon today!) so I think things will work out fine.

Hope this helps, lemme know if you guys have any more questions! I look forward to meeting all of you soon!

Hey drm85,

Just wondering if you can tell me which book you used for the MA/MBS program. title, author so i can get the book in advance. book may change but just wondering. thanks for the detail info about the program. really appreciate it.

Hey Drm, thanks for the advice and I hope you did well on the DAT. I take my MCAT next week and I will be sooooo glad once it's all done with. I had a couple of questions about the program. Do they give us our class schedules at orientation and is that the place where we register for electives? Also, is class all day long (like 8-5?) Or is it a mix in between those hours with breaks here and there?

Hey Drm, thanks for the advice and I hope you did well on the DAT. I take my MCAT next week and I will be sooooo glad once it's all done with. I had a couple of questions about the program. Do they give us our class schedules at orientation and is that the place where we register for electives? Also, is class all day long (like 8-5?) Or is it a mix in between those hours with breaks here and there?

DAT done, went very well!!! Best of luck on your MCAT! Very good call taking it before you get here esp. if you are in the MA.

Class schedules will be given out at orientation. Opportunities for elective will be alloted then. Look above for my elective advice for 1st quarter. There is no rush/competiton to get classes (unlike some of us may have had in undergrad) so don't worry about rushing/competing as everyone who wants to can sign up.

Friday afternoons are off from what I remember. Most days start around 9 or 10 and consist of 4 to 5 hrs of class, obvi more for electives. Breaks are mixed in here and there but they try to keep everything fairly grouped. You should definitely take the electives though, as they are easy.

From the schedule I was given for 2nd MBS electives (which all 1st year MA and MBS students can take)

Oncology is Mon, Tues and Fri at 1 PM for one hour each time. (3 credits)

Wed is emerging diseases at 1 PM for one hour (1 Credit)

Med terms 10-12 AM on Wednesday (2 credits, this class is online although it does appear on the schedule I cannot explain why.)

Preprofessional exam prep Mon and Tues 2-3, Wed 10-11 and Fri 9-10
See an earlier post in this thread for my breakdown on this class.

Biophysics (not posted on my schedule but last year it was Tues-Fri from 8-9 AM) I am a large advocate for this class ;) (4 credits)

Oh, one thing I wanted to note also about classes. There is no competition for grades in a class. By that I mean that the classes are not on a curve. You can only determine your own grade. This was a pleasant surprise for me as some of my classes in undergrad the average was a B and up or down one standard deviation was a letter grade in each direction.

Everyone in a class CAN get an A. There is a +/- system and you need a 93 for an A (most round up the tenth column so technically you need a 92.5, but a 92.49 will not cut it, I know from a classmates experience).

Hey drm85,

Just wondering if you can tell me which book you used for the MA/MBS program. title, author so i can get the book in advance. book may change but just wondering. thanks for the detail info about the program. really appreciate it.

As the year went on I bought and used fewer text books.

For physiology: Costanza

http://www.amazon.com/Physiology-Th...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248748322&sr=8-1
I am sure we used the newest edition but not sure

For Biochem:

Lippincotts (same book used for Osteopathic class)

http://www.amazon.com/Lippincotts-I...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248748401&sr=1-2

Again, probably newest editon but I cannot remember.

Histology: Marieb - spiral bound paper back

pretty good for this class

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy...r_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248748592&sr=1-11

2nd Quarter Pharm: Brenner and Stevens

Somewhat helpful as Jones tests off the book a little

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacology-...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248748641&sr=1-9

Anatomy: Same as above for Histo

For anatomy, this book sucked. They told us not to get Netter (what Osteopathy and most/all? med schools use) as it was expensive.

I think it would have been worth it in retrospect. I hate anatomy, just sayin'.

For all u iPhone/iTouch users, they have a really nice set of Netter slides as an application very $$$ though, but probably very worth it IMO.

3rd Quarter: Neuroanatomy (elective for MA, core MBS-why I don't know)

http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Neur...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248748437&sr=1-1

No book (he had a couple listed in the syllabus, but hardly anyone used em) for really for MIV I and II and Pharm II uses same book.

I think that is it for books from what I can remember and see on my shelf.

This reminds me, if anyone of you are really, really, really bored then go get the biochem and phys books and brush up before school starts if you have nothing else to do, it could be helpful in the early part of school as you get acclimatted(sp?) to the pace.

Sorry for another long post!

Reactions: 1 user
Barry 2yr MBS program or Midwestern-AZ's?

I am accepted at both the 2yr program at Barry and the MBS program at Midwestern-AZ. I am from GA, and going to Barry would be better only b/c of distance. I looked into the MBS midwestern program and it looks more attractive to medical schools, but more intensive also. My undergrad cGPA and sGPA are sub-3.0, and MCAT not very high. I didn't think I would be accepted into Midwestern so I paid the $500 deposit at Barry already.

I think Barry would be better but now I am not sure..........................
One thing I am afraid of at Midwestern is that b/c it looks so intensive, I may not perform so well compare to Barry...

Any advice or comparisons would be greatly appreciated....I really don't want to risk anything right now to further hurt my future application to med school.......

If anyone can provide me with some information that would be so helpful...and thanks in advance...

Also, if doing the MBS program at Midwestern would improve my chance of getting into med school more than Barry University's, I am willing to waste that $500....

So I need to consider whether it is worth the tuition and other expenses at Midwestern (more expensive than Barry I assume?) or not.....

i just want to get into med school.................sigh..........

Also, if doing the MBS program at Midwestern would improve my chance of getting into med school more than Barry University's, I am willing to waste that $500....

So I need to consider whether it is worth the tuition and other expenses at Midwestern (more expensive than Barry I assume?) or not.....

i just want to get into med school.................sigh..........

I know I talked to you earlier about this but if it helps I also paid that $500 at Barry and turned them down after getting into Midwestern. What you need to decide is: When you plan on re-taking that MCAT, if you want to do 2 years in Miami or 1 year in Arizona, and when you plan on applying to medical school.

Barry 2yr MBS program or Midwestern-AZ's?

I am accepted at both the 2yr program at Barry and the MBS program at Midwestern-AZ. I am from GA, and going to Barry would be better only b/c of distance. I looked into the MBS midwestern program and it looks more attractive to medical schools, but more intensive also. My undergrad cGPA and sGPA are sub-3.0, and MCAT not very high. I didn't think I would be accepted into Midwestern so I paid the $500 deposit at Barry already.

I think Barry would be better but now I am not sure..........................
One thing I am afraid of at Midwestern is that b/c it looks so intensive, I may not perform so well compare to Barry...

Any advice or comparisons would be greatly appreciated....I really don't want to risk anything right now to further hurt my future application to med school.......

If anyone can provide me with some information that would be so helpful...and thanks in advance...

If you don't think you can "perform well" in the masters program then how do you expect to do in medical school and on the boards.

Just sayin'.

to TheCloser: thanks for responding again. yes knowing that you turned Barry down after the deposit does help... Also, after an interview with Dr. Bell for the 1 yr-program, I decided to switch to the 2-yr program b/c I really do need all those classes to show that I am a good applicant...so It's 2 yrs at both school...

Now i just need to know more about the courses at both school.

To DRM85, thanks for your input also. I know exactly what you mean, cuz the whole purpose of doing these programs is to show that we can do it. And I believe in myself that I can, but.......i guess it's just that I wanted to be on the safe side...

but the difficulty of the courses are not my main concern. I am more worried about the statistics...the percentage of students that get accepted into med school from Midwestern and from Barry's MBS. The MA program at Midwestern is fairly new I think, but Im not sure about the MBS, is it a new and less well-known program also? Or has it been around for a while and are well-known to med schools??

Also, the MBS at Midwestern requires 70+ credit hours while Barry only 36, making Midwestern more attractive......right??

to TheCloser: thanks for responding again. yes knowing that you turned Barry down after the deposit does help... Also, after an interview with Dr. Bell for the 1 yr-program, I decided to switch to the 2-yr program b/c I really do need all those classes to show that I am a good applicant...so It's 2 yrs at both school...

Now i just need to know more about the courses at both school.

To DRM85, thanks for your input also. I know exactly what you mean, cuz the whole purpose of doing these programs is to show that we can do it. And I believe in myself that I can, but.......i guess it's just that I wanted to be on the safe side...

but the difficulty of the courses are not my main concern. I am more worried about the statistics...the percentage of students that get accepted into med school from Midwestern and from Barry's MBS. The MA program at Midwestern is fairly new I think, but Im not sure about the MBS, is it a new and less well-known program also? Or has it been around for a while and are well-known to med schools??

I cannot speak about Medical Schools other than the Osteopathic School at Midwestern. I know they get ppl in on a regular basis. I know of 1 guy that got into a MD school from the MBS (he had a really good MCAT though). The first year of the MA was last year. The MBS has been around since 01. They are both always improving and are doing what they can to get ppl competitive to get in. I am predent and I can say that it is helpful for getting into Midwestern's dental school. There are others that got into some schools such as ASDOH, Western and Indiana.

Talk to Dr. Bell about where students have gotten into, he compiles a record I believe.

Bottom line, if you have an outstanding GPA in the program, class rank (compiled in May) and a good preprofessional exam score, you can make it happen. Just participating in the program and getting by will not cut it, after the masters program there are probably no more chances to improve (other than MCAT/DAT). To me, it is a make or break. That being said, if you put the work in, you will be where you want to and be very well prepared for professional school.

One more note, the Fall block schedules for the MA and MBS have been posted in the office. I will scan them today, hopefully sooner rather than later and put them up on here for you guys to see the schedule.

I was wondering is it possible to work during this program and still do well or do people pretty much live off student loans?

I was wondering is it possible to work during this program and still do well or do people pretty much live off student loans?

There are some on campus jobs where you could swing limited hours possibly, it would be very stressful. I would leave it alone 1st quarter and then see what you can do 2nd. By the 3rd Quarter I am confident you would be able to do like 10 hrs a week. Depending on the job (like a front gig or something) you could always study on the job to, I would say for sure to that!

Here is the MBS schedule:

Sorry for the lack of quality, the library scanner is weak apparently.

Attachments

• MBSI_Fall_09.pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Here is the MA fall schedule:

Again, sorry for the quality.

Key differences are Capstone (for MA) and Biotechnology (MBS)

Attachments

• MA_Fall_09.pdf
    146.2 KB · Views: 323
Here is the MBS schedule:

Sorry for the lack of quality, the library scanner is weak apparently.

Drm85, thank you much for your effort & time in posting the schedule. Much appreciated. I PM you too if you got my message. Do you live on campus or off campus. I got a place on campus but can not move in until the 4th of Sep. Seems like living on campus is much more convenient and cheaper too.

I took a tour 2 months ago but i forgot: is there an indoor pool on campus?

Drm85: Thank you SO much for all of your input and advice. It really means a lot that you are going out of your way to help those of us coming in the fall. I know for myself, you've answered a lot of questions that I've had in the back of my mind. Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you :)

MBS bound,
SB

Here is the MA fall schedule:

Again, sorry for the quality.

Key differences are Capstone (for MA) and Biotechnology (MBS)

Man, you are a beast! Thanks a lot for not only all your post of advice, but for also posting the expected schedule for the MA program...that helps me out a lot, and made things much more clearer on the structure of the program.

Thanks Drm85 for your input. I didnt know the MBS program has been around for that long (^_^) . It sounds like a successful program, and I would like to go there. Now, I have to figure out the financial aspect...Does anyone have any idea on how to find the cheapest apartment/ place to live at Midwestern? Are dorms available for grad students like us also?

Drm, you are the man. Thanks for taking the time to post the schedules.

Drm85, thank you much for your effort & time in posting the schedule. Much appreciated. I PM you too if you got my message. Do you live on campus or off campus. I got a place on campus but can not move in until the 4th of Sep. Seems like living on campus is much more convenient and cheaper too.

I took a tour 2 months ago but i forgot: is there an indoor pool on campus?

I live off campus in San Prado right now, moving to San Lagos in 2 weeks!
Check your inbox!

No indoor pool, indoor gym though.

Drm85: Thank you SO much for all of your input and advice. It really means a lot that you are going out of your way to help those of us coming in the fall. I know for myself, you've answered a lot of questions that I've had in the back of my mind. Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you :)

MBS bound,
SB

Your welcome, look forward to meeting you guys soon!

Man, you are a beast! Thanks a lot for not only all your post of advice, but for also posting the expected schedule for the MA program...that helps me out a lot, and made things much more clearer on the structure of the program.

Glad to help, see you soon!

Thanks Drm85 for your input. I didnt know the MBS program has been around for that long (^_^) . It sounds like a successful program, and I would like to go there. Now, I have to figure out the financial aspect...Does anyone have any idea on how to find the cheapest apartment/ place to live at Midwestern? Are dorms available for grad students like us also?

There is on campus housing avaliable, contact them about it though, I really don't know. Apartments around/on campus are more expensive. The farther south you go, the cheaper. North of Bell is much nicer, IMO.

Drm, you are the man. Thanks for taking the time to post the schedules.

Your welcome!

One schedule note:

I would recommend taking the elective Emerging Diseases as it is both interesting and should be easy.

I am getting alot of PM questions about electives.

Knowing what I know now, if I was starting the MBS/MA this fall I would take: Biophysics, Med Terms and Emerging Diseases. That is not to slight Oncology, but it is just my opinion. I will be taking Onco this fall. :)

If you are really ready to rock, take all 4 of those. Keep in mind you can probably just sit in on preprofessional exam prep. They did not require a registration last year if you just wanted to hang out for some of it. Keep that on the DL though when speaking about classes w/your advisor.

Hey drm, I know you are probably getting a lot of questions but do you have to take at least 15 units per quarter? Or can you stack up the units during your first or second quarter and then the last quarter only take the required core classes (as long as you will be graduating with over 45 units)? Thanks drm, you have been a lot of help.

Really? You recommend taking all three of those electives on top of all the core classes in one quarter? All 23 credits? Is that really do-able? I was just thinking I'd only take Onco on top of the core classes which would just put me at 17 credits for Fall. Do most MA students really take 20+ credits a quarter?

I am getting alot of PM questions about electives.

Knowing what I know now, if I was starting the MBS/MA this fall I would take: Biophysics, Med Terms and Emerging Diseases. That is not to slight Oncology, but it is just my opinion. I will be taking Onco this fall. :)

If you are really ready to rock, take all 4 of those. Keep in mind you can probably just sit in on preprofessional exam prep. They did not require a registration last year if you just wanted to hang out for some of it. Keep that on the DL though when speaking about classes w/your advisor.