Midwestern-AZ SMP Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just received my notice for an interview for the MA program. Anyone know what kind of questions they would ask and what I should be expecting? I would just like to be as prepared as possible for the phone interview. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I just received my notice for an interview for the MA program. Anyone know what kind of questions they would ask and what I should be expecting? I would just like to be as prepared as possible for the phone interview. Thanks.

It's really relaxed. It's more of a conversation than an interview.

Same as any other interviews:
1) What is your professional goal and why?
2) Understand the mission of the MA program and how it applies to you
3) What are you going to do to improve your chances if you are not accepted?
4) Prepare to ask good questions

So I just got accepted to the MA program and I am still debating whether to attend the program or not due to the statistics I have read on this forum in regards to pre dent students getting into a dental school. So anyone wants to give me an update on the number of pre dental kids getting into a dental school, or any encouraging news to convince me that this program can optimistically get me into dental school and worth the 30k a year. Help me out here guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your alternatives? I called and spoke with the director of admissions of ~15 medical schools and each of them told me the program will be great on my application if a high GPA is maintained. A low placement percentage could come from low standardized test scores and not necessarily a fault of the program.

Did you mean you called medical schools or dental schools, because I am referring to the legitimacy of the program to help me with getting into dental school. From previous posts it seems like people are getting into places including MWU dental and other schools, so that made me felt really relieved. Anyways, anymore positive or negative feedbacks of this program will be appreciated.

Did you mean you called medical schools or dental schools, because I am referring to the legitimacy of the program to help me with getting into dental school. From previous posts it seems like people are getting into places including MWU dental and other schools, so that made me felt really relieved. Anyways, anymore positive or negative feedbacks of this program will be appreciated.

If you have a decent GPA and a good DAT score (20 is average now for MWU), then it will depend on your interview to get you accepted. MWU dental is particular in choosing their students, so doing the MA program is not a guarantee by any means. However, there are other dental schools that give more emphasis on a student with advance coursework/degree. What are your alternatives? If you don't have any other good ways to improve your app, then the MA program is for you.

Is there anyone that has done this program that has gotten accepted to places like LECOM? or do they just get accepted to AZCOM if any where?

Just wanted to confirm, the interview is by phone only, or could you also do one in person?
Thanks in advance

Has anyone heard from Midwestern IL about the MA program within the past couple weeks? My app has been complete for a few weeks...

Anyone else waiting to hear back from Midwestern Az?? I applied back in jan still no word from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else waiting to hear back from Midwestern Az?? I applied back in jan still no word from them.

I would definitely contact them and ask about the status of your application! I had my interview a few weeks ago and was told im accepted a week ago or so.

I just found an email in my inbox from Mr. Soby from MWU-AZ asking when would be a good time for an interview. Hopefully I will be able to do the interview on Monday. Any advice for me?

P.S. I applied in January as well so I wouldn't worry too much.

Advice would be to just relax and pretend you're having a phone conversation with an old friend you haven't spoken with for a while. They're really nice and ask basic questions like "Why Midwestern" and "What do you think is the hardest thing about the program" and "How did you hear about us?", etc.

Hey guys, I recently had a friend attend this program. I am a junior trying to get my life back together. I will graduate with a 3.0 gpa and havnt taken the mcat i had some serious issues earlier in my college career. Ive been to medical mission trips in nicaragua, pakistan and some other countries and have shadowed for numerous hours. I was wondering since I am not competitive for direct enrollment into med school if I would have a chance at a program like this. thank you any feedback would be helpful.

What are peoples low end stats for a program like this? I know they say 2.75 on the aamc website but i am sure very rarely do people get in with that.

Hey guys, I recently had a friend attend this program. I am a junior trying to get my life back together. I will graduate with a 3.0 gpa and havnt taken the mcat i had some serious issues earlier in my college career. Ive been to medical mission trips in nicaragua, pakistan and some other countries and have shadowed for numerous hours. I was wondering since I am not competitive for direct enrollment into med school if I would have a chance at a program like this. thank you any feedback would be helpful.

What are peoples low end stats for a program like this? I know they say 2.75 on the aamc website but i am sure very rarely do people get in with that.

Work your ass off and do very well on the MCAT. Look in pre-osteo in the underdog thread. I'm at a 3.01 sGPA, still sub-3.0 cGPA, with a high MCAT and I had 6 interviews this year before withdrawing from many schools. As a junior if you can do very well your senior year, graduate above a 3.0 GPA and 30+ MCAT you'll have a shot at direct admission assuming you apply early and have great ECs, which it seems you do.

I had my phone interview yesterday and I feel that it went very well. No out of the ordinary questions, but make sure you really have a genuine interest in attending the university. Although I have never visited the campus, I am excited to have the chance to possibly attend this program. My interviewer was very nice and it went just as the other posters on this thread said it would. He said that he thought the admission committee met today, so I should hear back within a week what their decision is. I am pretty optimistic since he basically said that I shouldn't worry and that I am good candidate. Thank you for the pre-interview advice william-dent.

For those of you who were accepted and definitely attending, how are you going about looking for housing? Is it too late to find on-campus apartments?

Got accepted and am most likely attending. Anyone else?

Got accepted and am most likely attending. Anyone else?

I just got accepted, but I'm still waiting on 5 other schools. They don't give you very much time for your deposit (5/13 is the deadline for me). There's a good chance I'll attend Midwestern, but I'm hoping I'll hear from the other schools soon.

I just got accepted, but I'm still waiting on 5 other schools. They don't give you very much time for your deposit (5/13 is the deadline for me). There's a good chance I'll attend Midwestern, but I'm hoping I'll hear from the other schools soon.

when did you apply? congrats!

when did you apply? congrats!

Thanks! I submitted mid-March, but because they didn't receive some documents, it wasn't officially complete until 4/11. I just interviewed on 4/25, so it seems as though they make decisions pretty quickly.

This is a pretty awesome thread, just spent the last hour reading it all! I am going to start Midwestern's Biomedical Sciences Program at Glendale in August and I can't wait! I would really like to get into one of the Midwestern Dental Schools once I graduate such as Illinois or Glendale!

I recommend anyone who plans on attending Midwestern's Biomedical Sciences Program to read this thread!

Good Luck!

ACCEPTED!!! See everyone in August! Anyone have any ideas on living yet?

Congrats on all the recent acceptances. I went through the MA program last year and am now finishing up my first year at azcom. If anyone has any questions about the program or moving to phx just let me know and I will try to answer them. I don't get on sdn very often but if you PM me I think it is linked to my email. As far as housing, I would recommend checking out San Lagos, San Prado and Sage Stone apartments. They are all walking distance from campus and are where the majority of students stay. (Also, for those that are pre-med and have a low MCAT--I highly recommend studying this summer and re-taking the MCAT before you start the program.)

All of my materials where received May 10th. My applicant checklist is empty, I haven't received a "Complete E-Mail", I call last week to amke sure they had everything and was complete, he told me I was..... but I still haven't heard anything and my portal hasn't changed. Does this sound unusual?
I have interviewed there twice for D.O. school so I would think I would at least qualify for a MA interview........ 2.8 Undergrad, 3.6 Graduate 35N MCAT

I wouldn't be worried. It's only been 8 days. It took about a month after recieving everything for me to get an interview with them. Im sure you'll be getting an interview within the next couple weeks.

I wouldn't be worried. It's only been 8 days. It took about a month after recieving everything for me to get an interview with them. Im sure you'll be getting an interview within the next couple weeks.

Cool thanks..... I think the only reason I was worried is that the two times I applied to the D.O. program there I literally got an interview invite within three days of having my materials in, and for some reason I thought I got that impression about this program from this thread thats why I thought I would ask...... Thanks again

-Still waiting to hear back from BU-MAMS, Georgetown SMP, and NYMC-SMP

Hey guys! I was accepted into the MA program in Arizona about a month ago and just sent in my deposit last week. I was wondering who else has been accepted and if there is a facebook group yet?

Thanks!

Anyone familiar with how they calculate your gpa's? Iknow that every schhol or program I apply to they all calculate different. Like I know AADSAS i drop .2 points in gpa and my science gpa drops .35. Just curious since my transcripts are lying to me it seems :)

Anyone familiar with how they calculate your gpa's? Iknow that every schhol or program I apply to they all calculate different. Like I know AADSAS i drop .2 points in gpa and my science gpa drops .35. Just curious since my transcripts are lying to me it seems :)

As far as calculating your GPA for admission to the biomed program, I believe that they don't formulate a new gpa for you and basically use whatever you submit (i.e. official tx, AADSAS gpa). That was a cocnern for me last year and I'm pretty sure they didn't recalculate my gpa their own "style" and just used my aacomas gpa.

got accepted to the MBS program-glendale. Anyone else?

Someone should start a facebook group! :)

Accepted! Will definitely be joining everyone in August. Nice to finally be accepted into something after 4 years applying to Med School....... not looking forward to retaking the MCAT this summer, oh well, gotta do what ya gotta do........ I second the creation of a facebook group

Accepted! Will definitely be joining everyone in August. Nice to finally be accepted into something after 4 years applying to Med School....... not looking forward to retaking the MCAT this summer, oh well, gotta do what ya gotta do........ I second the creation of a facebook group
Oh and 35N MCAT 2.83 uGPA, 3.62 GPA for M.S. in Molecular & Cellular Biology.... I know some people really like to know stats...... and yes this will be a second masters :)

Oh and 35N MCAT 2.83 uGPA, 3.62 GPA for M.S. in Molecular & Cellular Biology.... I know some people really like to know stats...... and yes this will be a second masters :)

wow second master. what happened? your mcat and MS GPA seems pretty good.

wow second master. what happened? your mcat and MS GPA seems pretty good.

Long story, would like to think those stats alone would get me into AZCOM or ATSU-SOMA, but I'm not taking anymore chances doing the MA to hopefully seal the deal.....

Accepted!!! Is there a facebook group yet? Can't wait to see you all in August!

I noticed no one has set up a facebook group and I know it will be helpful for those that want to meet friends before they arrive and also coordinate other things such as finding roommates and places to live, etc....

Here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_221136847905194

Its still new so not much done to it but hopefully we can fix it up as the Summer progresses. Also can be used as a medium through which people can make announcements to the rest of the class as we go through the year.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted already.

I noticed no one has set up a facebook group and I know it will be helpful for those that want to meet friends before they arrive and also coordinate other things such as finding roommates and places to live, etc....

Here is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_221136847905194

Its still new so not much done to it but hopefully we can fix it up as the Summer progresses. Also can be used as a medium through which people can make announcements to the rest of the class as we go through the year.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted already.

Good man, thanks for setting it up.