1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Midwestern- CCO interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by LUC78, Jan 18, 2018.

1. LUC78

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi could anyone provide some insight on how the CCO interview went? I know its MMI style, but I was more so wondering how the day went and what you did from the start of the day to the end. How many interviewers do you see, was there a writing sample/when, etc

Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PreOptometry2020

Pre-Optometry
    The interview day is fairly long, be prepared to walk around campus. They make it very interesting and engaging. I believe you speak to 7 interviewers, no questions that you can prepare for. Short writing sample as well, simple topic. You also get to tour the clinic and eat lunch with faulty. Overall was a very pleasant experience.

LUC78 likes this.
  4. LUC78

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Are the interview questions personal? Or are they all MMI style scenarios

5. LUC78

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Do they have access to your file or ask questions about your essay, application, experiences, grades etc?

Are there the standard questions like why optometry, why Midwestern, what you will bring to your class, differences between Optometrists, ophthalmologists and opticians, etc.

Do they ask you to explain anything that might be negative in your application such as low grades or anything?

Thanks again!

6. PreOptometry2020

Pre-Optometry
    All MMI style, everyone gets the same questions. The interviewers do not have your file or any of your records during the time of the interview.

LUC78 likes this.
  7. LUC78

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Thanks! How soon did you find out about your decision after you interviewed?

8. PreOptometry2020

Pre-Optometry
  9. LUC78

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Just wanted to update this for anyone looking in the future.
    Although the interview is MMI style you should really heavily focus on preparing as you would for an actual interview. Personal details came up on all 7 of the doors. I wouldn't focus too much on preparing for ethical style questions but from what I've seen on other posts about preparing for MMI many advise that it's best to include personal anecdotes or experiences anyways within ethical answers.
    We had a speaker go through a presentation. Then the group was split up evenly. While one group toured and did the writing prompt (very basic, standard optometry question) the others did the MMI interviews. We then switched. After that was lunch and then a tour of the clinic.
    My interview was on a Monday and I was told the committee meets the next day on Tuesday afternoons. If you're accepted your portal should automatically update later that day and you'll be able to see the 'accepted' checklist. Official emails and letters get sent out on Friday.

Good luck to everyone! Overall, I'd say the MMI experience was an enjoyable one and a lot less intimidating than what I thought it would be. I'm not too clear about this but I was told the interviewers don't actually discuss anything they just have a scoring sheet where they rate you/add comments. This then gets sent to the committee. So I wouldn't worry about being repetitive between stations because each interviewer is seeing you from scratch. If I could do it again I'd repeat relevant information about myself in every station if need be and would focus on giving each interviewer a 100% well rounded image of yourself while still focusing on and thoroughly answering/addressing the prompt.

10. eyeeseeeyou

Pre-Optometry
    Hey I see you got accepted into Midwestern CCO...
    Have you decide if you're going there?

11. PreOptometry2020

Pre-Optometry
    Im still deciding between schools! how about you?

12. eyeeseeeyou

Pre-Optometry
    Im still deciding too, but I'm very strong about CCO.

13. DrEyeeLoverr

Pre-Optometry
    Hey, did you get accepted to CCO? Do you mind PM'ing me, I have a interview this Monday.

14. sashasar

Does anyone have an update as to if this is accurate in terms of your portal updating the next day?? I interviewed on Monday at CCO and haven't heard anything yet... kind of on pins and needles here because I really liked the program and am hoping to get accepted. My portal didn't update like this post said so wondering if anyone else had a different experience with their acceptance. Thanks!