Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plus the way that FB group is set up, I guess one person is approving the requests. I sent in a join request and didn't get approved until much later. The admins for our 2015 group were pretty much on there day and night because even move-in day, my RA was answering questions left and right on the group.

Please don't assume everyone in the group is from your class:
Not everyone from your class is on it. (This isn't an attendance record)
Not everyone in it is from your class. (PS-2s and PS-3s joined)
Not everyone in it is from your program. (some Dental students & Med Students joined ours)

Members don't see this ad.

I just read through all 351 previous posts, and I must admit I'm very excited to visit this school! Thanks to the current students for the info. I will be interviewing Feb 3, but I am nervous because I see a lot of acceptance spots have already been taken.

Hello all,
I have been offered an interview date at MWU-CCP as well as offered admission at MWU-CPG. I am here wondering if you guys could help me out. I have compared the schools as much as I can, and I am looking for more reasons why I should accept the interview at CCP. For either school I will be moving out of state, current residency is Washington State, and my main interest is in hospital (clinical or informatics). I am wondering how you guys think the 3 year vs 4 year schooling will effect residencies. Also, how hard is the weather? My mother grew up in Chicago and warns against it, but also the culture would be amazing! So, just hoping I can hear all your reason's for wanting to go to MWU-CCP.
-Thanks!-

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for reading ALL of that! I know, it's a lot :(
I try to check this every other time I'm free so ask whatever questions you got and I'm sure DSS65 and I will answer to the best of our abilities!

LOL funny you're asking about the weather here... It snowed today, the most ever since I've moved here. It's a good 3-4 inches today. I drove in the snow for the first time today... it is nothing CA drivers have ever experienced! I drove 10 mph down the street, crawling to the next light. I swerved a little but I corrected myself. It's... wow. I think for now, I'll have more experienced friends drive me or I'm calling American Taxi. At least until I get the hang of this.

3 year plan to get into residency I feel has major pros and cons. Pros that yes you're not wasting any time at all because of the extra PGY year(s). However, that gives you less time to prepare and attend showcases you're interested in going to be familiar with the different health systems. I heard from our student panel at our MWU ICHP (IL - ASHP) that it's a good $600-$1000 to travel and pay for the APhA's annual residency showcase. The students recommended going as 3rd and a MUST as a 4th year. So at a 3-year curriculum, you would be recommended to go as a 2nd and a MUST as a 3rd. Depending on your situation and how well you can manage curricular and saving for this... it can go well or .. not :(

I don't know much about our Arizona sister campus, but I like Chicago. There's always something to do here and the people are very nice. The professors here are very considerate and caring, even if you don't feel like it.

I interviewed on 1/4 and i also got accepted by by checking the portal

congrats to you ipharmacy, was it through portal or call?

I interviewed on 1/4 and i also got accepted by by checking the portal

congrats to you ipharmacy, was it through portal or call?

it was through the portal...I thought they said we would get an email indicating our status has changed in the portal, but I guess not...Im assuming the acceptance is still legit...

and congrats to you too!

it was through the portal...I thought they said we would get an email indicating our status has changed in the portal, but I guess not...Im assuming the acceptance is still legit...

and congrats to you too!

Thats exactly what i thought, well at least we got in :)

what this your first choice?

Congratulations!! I interviewed on January 11th too and I also got in :) :)

Congratulations on everyone getting in! Sounds like a great way to start 2012! :D

For those who are still waiting to hear back, don't lose hope! There's still lots of time left!

Thats exactly what i thought, well at least we got in :)

what this your first choice?

yeah pretty much...the only reason I might not go here is if I get into state school and its mainly because of the money but its hard to deny the reputation and establishment of midwestern so im still kinda on the fence...but I will have to make the hefty deposit for midwestern before I hear back from the in-state school..so we'll see.

how about u...is mwu one of ur top choices?

yeah pretty much...the only reason I might not go here is if I get into state school and its mainly because of the money but its hard to deny the reputation and establishment of midwestern so im still kinda on the fence...but I will have to make the hefty deposit for midwestern before I hear back from the in-state school..so we'll see.

how about u...is mwu one of ur top choices?

Nice, where are you from?

MWU is top 5 on my list after a cpl schools in CA and AZ, so im pretty happy, guess we gotta start looking into housing

I have a question for the current students

During undergrad, i loved during intramurals in a bunch of sports, so I was wondering if MWU had intramurals?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, where are you from?

MWU is top 5 on my list after a cpl schools in CA and AZ, so im pretty happy, guess we gotta start looking into housing

Im from the suburbs of chicago...I actually live about an hour from campus give or take so Im still kinda debating on what Im going to do about housing because living at home would save money but I was already frustrated driving in the traffic to the interview..I still have a lot to figure out before deciding to attend mwu.

Another question for current students

For the laptops, what are the options we have? also if you guys know the specs, that would be nice

I got accepted to both UIC and Midwestern... any thoughts? from my research it seems like UIC is a better choice.. anyone think otherwise?

im sorry.. :oops: that sounded kind of bad.. i wasn't trying to put down Midwestern.. its a good school! just lookin for some opinions!

Another question for current students

For the laptops, what are the options we have? also if you guys know the specs, that would be nice

Our options were...
13" Macbook (OS Leopard) *See above posts for my bitterness. :)
15" (?) Dell

It might change next year just because technology is always changing.

I got accepted to both UIC and Midwestern... any thoughts? from my research it seems like UIC is a better choice.. anyone think otherwise?
I personally don't know anything about UIC but from what I understand...

My friend who went there for undergrad claims it was horrible. We went shopping and an Aerie employee started ranting along with my friend how UIC is horrible. (it was heated)

It looks like campus is smack in the city vs. Midwestern is out in the suburbs.

You probably would have a better idea of what UIC is more over me. Go with where you think you can see yourself traveling to and from, housing, curriculum, networking opportunities, etc :) GOOD LUCK and it's great to hear you got into both schools!:thumbup:

Hi, everybody! Is anyone interviewing on 2/17? I'm planning to leave the morning of 2/18 and just wanted to see if anybody wanted to share transportation costs to the airport.

For those out-of-state who have interviewed, how did you get from the airport to your hotel/vice versa? From what I've seen, either the hotels are near the airport but far from the school, or near the school but far from the airport. (I ended up picking a place 6 mins from the school, but 30 mins from the airport. :rolleyes:)

Also, the hotel I'm staying in offers an "Area Shuttle" that takes you around within a 5 miles radius. I think the interview ends around 5pm so I was hoping to see the town. Is there anything must-see in that area? :)

Hi, everybody! Is anyone interviewing on 2/17? I'm planning to leave the morning of 2/18 and just wanted to see if anybody wanted to share transportation costs to the airport.

For those out-of-state who have interviewed, how did you get from the airport to your hotel/vice versa? From what I've seen, either the hotels are near the airport but far from the school, or near the school but far from the airport. (I ended up picking a place 6 mins from the school, but 30 mins from the airport. :rolleyes:)

Also, the hotel I'm staying in offers an "Area Shuttle" that takes you around within a 5 miles radius. I think the interview ends around 5pm so I was hoping to see the town. Is there anything must-see in that area? :)

When I came from l.a. to chicago, i used go airport shuttle to get to the hotel called stay inn at lombard which was pretty reasonable and had a "area shuttle, which goes straight to the school." After the interview, I'd recommend taking a train to downtown chicago, spent time there and it was nice especially the view from john hopkins building.

And the interview ends around 1

Our options were...
13" Macbook (OS Leopard) *See above posts for my bitterness. :)
15" (?) Dell

It might change next year just because technology is always changing.

I personally don't know anything about UIC but from what I understand...

My friend who went there for undergrad claims it was horrible. We went shopping and an Aerie employee started ranting along with my friend how UIC is horrible. (it was heated)

It looks like campus is smack in the city vs. Midwestern is out in the suburbs.

You probably would have a better idea of what UIC is more over me. Go with where you think you can see yourself traveling to and from, housing, curriculum, networking opportunities, etc :) GOOD LUCK and it's great to hear you got into both schools!:thumbup:

thanks for the input!:thumbup:

When I came from l.a. to chicago, i used go airport shuttle to get to the hotel called stay inn at lombard which was pretty reasonable and had a "area shuttle, which goes straight to the school." After the interview, I'd recommend taking a train to downtown chicago, spent time there and it was nice especially the view from john hopkins building.

And the interview ends around 1

Oops sorry, I was thinking of another place that ends at 5pm. x)

And that is also where I am staying! :) Thanks for the info! What was the name of the airport shuttle you used? When I called Stay Inn, they said they had discounts for taxis so it would take you to the airport for $38 or something. I've never taken a taxi or airport shuttle before so I don't know how reasonable that is in comparison with airport shuttle rates. :confused:

Oops sorry, I was thinking of another place that ends at 5pm. x)

And that is also where I am staying! :) Thanks for the info! What was the name of the airport shuttle you used? When I called Stay Inn, they said they had discounts for taxis so it would take you to the airport for $38 or something. I've never taken a taxi or airport shuttle before so I don't know how reasonable that is in comparison with airport shuttle rates. :confused:

Its called "GO Airport Shuttle." I hadnt used a taxi til after that, but that shuttle should cost about 31-36$ so its cheaper, and from experience I would rather take a shuttle than a taxi. Also, if your gonna use the shuttle, call their number, its hard to find the hotel on their website.

gl on your interview, and if you have any other questions, you can PM me or post!

isn't uic a cheaper school? and it is also ranked number 9 according to US news and world report.....you also have access to all the other UIC campuses I believe too right?

isn't uic a cheaper school? and it is also ranked number 9 according to US news and world report.....you also have access to all the other UIC campuses I believe too right?

it is cheaper if you are in-state and pretty much the same (33k/yr) for out-of-state.. and I've heard multiple people say the rank really doesn't mean much.. I'm not sure if they have a higher residency placement or anything though. I'm not sure if I know what you mean by having access to the other campuses??.. and i do like the location/security/friendliness of midwestern better.. so I'm in a pickle :(

it is cheaper if you are in-state and pretty much the same (33k/yr) for out-of-state.. and I've heard multiple people say the rank really doesn't mean much.. I'm not sure if they have a higher residency placement or anything though. I'm not sure if I know what you mean by having access to the other campuses??.. and i do like the location/security/friendliness of midwestern better.. so I'm in a pickle :(

Your best option would be to talk to people from both schools or list both the positives and negatives. As of right now, I'm planning on attending Midwestern because of the family feeling and in a safer area than uic

Hey guys my interview is coming up and from all the previous posts I can see what the interview will be like but how can I prepare myself for the essay on site? All the other interviews I've attended were one one one and no essays so this is a first! :rolleyes: Any tips? Ahh so nervous bc this is one of my top schools :xf:

Hey guys my interview is coming up and from all the previous posts I can see what the interview will be like but how can I prepare myself for the essay on site? All the other interviews I've attended were one one one and no essays so this is a first! :rolleyes: Any tips? Ahh so nervous bc this is one of my top schools :xf:

Mine was about a situation that could happen in a pharmacy, and what would you do about it.
It isnt bad so dont worry about it too much

Just interviewed here, they told us we would hear back between 4 - 6 weeks does it really take that long? Other schools notified me within 2 weeks.

Just interviewed here, they told us we would hear back between 4 - 6 weeks does it really take that long? Other schools notified me within 2 weeks.

Hmm, well the letter that arrived might have taken a few weeks, but you can always log into the Midwestern portal, and see if the 'accepted student checklist' shows up. In my case, that took less than a week to appear after my interview date.

Hmm, well the letter that arrived might have taken a few weeks, but you can always log into the Midwestern portal, and see if the 'accepted student checklist' shows up. In my case, that took less than a week to appear after my interview date.

Yea just like Hye345 said, it doesnt take that long, it only took about 2 weeks for my portal to change.

Hye is CCP your top choice?

at my interview on the 11th they said that the adcom committee meets once a month and they already met for January last week so if what they said is true then they probably won't meet until mid/late in Feb...so u might have a little longer of a wait than some people...dont quote me on this..u might hear sooner..but if u have been waiting for a couple of weeks then they havn't meet for Feb yet....so don't read too much into the wait

Yea just like Hye345 said, it doesnt take that long, it only took about 2 weeks for my portal to change.

Hye is CCP your top choice?

It was, until I interviewed at Creighton University. If I get accepted there, its gonna be a tough call... any opinions? :p

Cool thanks for the info guys

It was, until I interviewed at Creighton University. If I get accepted there, its gonna be a tough call... any opinions? :p

Haha I have no idea, I just saw that your live in glendale and I live in pasadena, and was wondering if you have thought about the housing and stuff

Haha I have no idea, I just saw that your live in glendale and I live in pasadena, and was wondering if you have thought about the housing and stuff

Oh, ok. Well, for Midwestern housing, I am gonna get the on-campus housing, with priority in the dorms I think.

Both schools are similar in that they are like families. Things to consider:
Creighton will be in the 3rd year of the new curriculum and labs while Midwestern is using the same one. I take the new curriculum as a plus and a minus.
Both schools supply computers. At Midwestern you get a choice and at Creighton you don't. However, Creighton supplies tablet laptops that you can write on like a notebook, and I don't think Midwestern supplies those.
Midwestern class size is 214 I believe while Creighton Campus is 115ish plus 80 distance, so its less.
Some classes at Midwestern are shared by med students while Creighton classes are only for pharmacy students. I'm not sure about Midwestern, but at Creighton there are half hour and hour blocks open during the day (also a plus and minus depending on if you can utilize the time or not).
Creighton also has a focus on undergrad while Midwestern only has health professional school.
I believe both schools have new facilities, I got to see Creighton's new lab and it is beautiful, but I think Midwestern just got a new testing center, classrooms, and maybe labs.
Both are private, so they cost a lot but are also known around the country.
If you are from one area or the other, that may pull you closer to home or further away if that is what you want.
Creighton has the medical center and I believe Midwestern is building one and definitely has affiliations.
Parking at Midwestern is easy where at Creighton they are having difficulties.
If you are a sports fan, Creighton is D1 and have AMAZING basketball and especially soccer programs and I don't think Midwestern has sports to watch.
Since both schools are private, both have students from all around the country and diversity.
Midwestern does not have a dress code and you could go to class in your pajamas. Creighton does have a dress code, but it is lax. However, with the new labs, you may have to wear dress clothes more often.

That's mostly what I got. Some of the Midwestern information might be off (current students could comment if it is), but the Creighton stuff should be right. Both are great schools, and it is truly up to you and which place you felt better at. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I interviewed and was accepted at both places.

Both schools are similar in that they are like families. Things to consider:
Creighton will be in the 3rd year of the new curriculum and labs while Midwestern is using the same one. I take the new curriculum as a plus and a minus.
Both schools supply computers. At Midwestern you get a choice and at Creighton you don't. However, Creighton supplies tablet laptops that you can write on like a notebook, and I don't think Midwestern supplies those.
Midwestern class size is 214 I believe while Creighton Campus is 115ish plus 80 distance, so its less.
Some classes at Midwestern are shared by med students while Creighton classes are only for pharmacy students. I'm not sure about Midwestern, but at Creighton there are half hour and hour blocks open during the day (also a plus and minus depending on if you can utilize the time or not).
Creighton also has a focus on undergrad while Midwestern only has health professional school.
I believe both schools have new facilities, I got to see Creighton's new lab and it is beautiful, but I think Midwestern just got a new testing center, classrooms, and maybe labs.
Both are private, so they cost a lot but are also known around the country.
If you are from one area or the other, that may pull you closer to home or further away if that is what you want.
Creighton has the medical center and I believe Midwestern is building one and definitely has affiliations.
Parking at Midwestern is easy where at Creighton they are having difficulties.
If you are a sports fan, Creighton is D1 and have AMAZING basketball and especially soccer programs and I don't think Midwestern has sports to watch.
Since both schools are private, both have students from all around the country and diversity.
Midwestern does not have a dress code and you could go to class in your pajamas. Creighton does have a dress code, but it is lax. However, with the new labs, you may have to wear dress clothes more often.

That's mostly what I got. Some of the Midwestern information might be off (current students could comment if it is), but the Creighton stuff should be right. Both are great schools, and it is truly up to you and which place you felt better at. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I interviewed and was accepted at both places.

Midwestern does not supply tablet laptops.
Midwestern has a block schedule with 10 minutes in between classes. Lectures are 1 hour or 2 hours.
Block schedule (click on PS1, PS2, or PS3) http://www.midwestern.edu/downers_grove_il_campus/block_schedules.html
Winter Quarter is the worst quarter so far so if this look's intimidating, it's cuz it's Winter. I'll probably upload the Fall Qtr PS1 Schedule and link it here later to show you.
Midwestern's new testing center is just cubicles set up with a protocol. We still use paper/pen exams.
Parking at Midwestern is FREE, yay!
Midwestern is in Chicago where it's Cubs, Bears and Bulls.

Hey guys! Do you know if we need to place the order for a laptop right after we pay the deposit? I payed the deposit and now I cannot leave the page unless I pick the laptop of my choice. Thanks in advance!

for the electives...how do the amount of electives work into tuition? are the max amount of elective credits already worked into the tuition or does ur tuition go up with the more elective credits u take?
I believe tuition is a flat amount, it shouldn't matter how many electives you take and when... as long as you complete the number of units of electives.

for the groups...how are they utilized in classes? are there a lot of group projects or just projects in general? this isnt a deal breaker cause im really excited to go to mwu but i was just curious how all the classes and labs and stuff work.
The advisory groups are used for reflective portfolio, IPPE-Intro, and biochem (so far). Reflective portfolio is all 3 didactic years. The groups are used to do group workshops or group projects. There isn't that many projects that you have to meet up all the time.

At least, you see your group of all 10 (split into 2 groups of 5) once a week for one hour at biochem workshop.
Once a quarter, all 10 of us meet for reflective portfolio.
For IPPE-Intro, our group of 5 worked on one paper.
Once a quarter, all 10 of us meets with our faculty advisor.

Your advisory group is not used all the time.

example: Drug Dosage Lab, half (5) of my group has Tuesday lab, the other half (5) has Friday lab. Then all 5 of us on Tuesday are at different benches. My bench has 4 people and none of them are from my advisory group.

So you still are placed in different groups so you're not completely stuck with the same 5 or 10 people but if it's your advisory group, it depends on the professor's use of them.

I personally adore my group members, but I have heard of bad stories from friends in other groups. My group was just blessed to have competent people who care about getting it done RIGHT vs. just getting it done period. I mean yea, we want it over with, but our group doesn't try to cut corners but rather work together and do it efficiently. I have heard from other people how they are stuck with lazy people or those that are non-responsive.

Meeting with our faculty advisor isn't all the time either. It's once a quarter for lunch or breakfast (free, paid by CCP). Our group adores our faculty advisor because she actually talks and asks for or opinion on stuff. She's sweet and I'm proud of her for getting faculty award of the year because the PS2s loved her. But again, not all the faculty advisors are the same. I've heard of one group whose advisor straight up said "I'm too busy to read over your reflective portfolios before you submit them" and for the longest time didn't set up a breakfast/lunch. MOST of the faculty advisors are receptive and not like that.

-i was also wondering if u had any info about the pharm tech license we are suppose to have before matriculation
I use to be freaked out about that too, but don't worry. They'll send you information on how to get your registered pharm tech license. You don't have to pass the PTCB exam or do any prior paperwork/preparation. Because you will be enrolled in a pharmacy school, you're automatically eligible/approved for a pharmacy tech license. However, it's not a bad idea to "study" as if you are the PTCB exam so you know what your duties/responsibilities are as a pharmacy technician.

Last edited:
I believe tuition is a flat amount, it shouldn't matter how many electives you take and when... as long as you complete the number of units of electives.

The advisory groups are used for reflective portfolio, IPPE-Intro, and biochem (so far). Reflective portfolio is all 3 didactic years. The groups are used to do group workshops or group projects. There isn't that many projects that you have to meet up all the time.

At least, you see your group of all 10 (split into 2 groups of 5) once a week for one hour at biochem workshop.
Once a quarter, all 10 of us meet for reflective portfolio.
For IPPE-Intro, our group of 5 worked on one paper.
Once a quarter, all 10 of us meets with our faculty advisor.

Your advisory group is not used all the time.

example: Drug Dosage Lab, half (5) of my group has Tuesday lab, the other half (5) has Friday lab. Then all 5 of us on Tuesday are at different benches. My bench has 4 people and none of them are from my advisory group.

So you still are placed in different groups so you're not completely stuck with the same 5 or 10 people but if it's your advisory group, it depends on the professor's use of them.

I personally adore my group members, but I have heard of bad stories from friends in other groups. My group was just blessed to have competent people who care about getting it done RIGHT vs. just getting it done period. I mean yea, we want it over with, but our group doesn't try to cut corners but rather work together and do it efficiently. I have heard from other people how they are stuck with lazy people or those that are non-responsive.

Meeting with our faculty advisor isn't all the time either. It's once a quarter for lunch or breakfast (free, paid by CCP). Our group adores our faculty advisor because she actually talks and asks for or opinion on stuff. She's sweet and I'm proud of her for getting faculty award of the year because the PS2s loved her. But again, not all the faculty advisors are the same. I've heard of one group whose advisor straight up said "I'm too busy to read over your reflective portfolios before you submit them" and for the longest time didn't set up a breakfast/lunch. MOST of the faculty advisors are receptive and not like that.

I use to be freaked out about that too, but don't worry. They'll send you information on how to get your registered pharm tech license. You don't have to pass the PTCB exam or do any prior paperwork/preparation. Because you will be enrolled in a pharmacy school, you're automatically eligible/approved for a pharmacy tech license. However, it's not a bad idea to "study" as if you are the PTCB exam so you know what your duties/responsibilities are as a pharmacy technician.

thanks so much for all ur helpful info and im so excited for next year!

The wait is killing me!! Does anyone know how many candidates are accepted from those interviewed?

Midwestern has a block schedule with 10 minutes in between classes. Lectures are 1 hour or 2 hours.
Block schedule (click on PS1, PS2, or PS3) http://www.midwestern.edu/downers_grove_il_campus/block_schedules.html
Winter Quarter is the worst quarter so far so if this look's intimidating, it's cuz it's Winter. I'll probably upload the Fall Qtr PS1 Schedule and link it here later to show you.

Please do! It's really helpful to get an idea of what the days are like

Fall 2011 Block Schedule for PS-1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2323002/2011%20Fall%20Block%20Schedule.pdf

Monday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Tuesday: 10:00am - 3:30pm
Wednesday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Thursday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Friday: 10:00am - 2:00pm

Best schedule ever. Hardly any 7:00am/7:30am exams.

Winter 2012 Block Schedule for PS-1:
http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Registrar/PS%20I%20Winter%202011%20%28v%202%29.pdf

Monday: 9:00am - 2:00pm [Lab day]
Tuesday: 9:00am - 2:00pm [Lab day]
Wednesday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Thursday: 9:00am - 2:00pm [Lab day]
Friday: 9:00am - 3:00pm

This quarter:
- Depending on your lab day, it can be a long day for you.
- My lab day is Tuesday, same day as a 7:00am/7:30am exam and a weekly quiz. So it's 7:00am - 5:00pm for me. BUT I do have more time to study the night before an exam.
- ALL the exams are 7:00am/7:30am.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Do you know if we need to place the order for a laptop right after we pay the deposit? I payed the deposit and now I cannot leave the page unless I pick the laptop of my choice. Thanks in advance!

Hi! I would go ahead and pick a laptop of your choice. If you decide to not attend MWU for the fall and withdrawal your acceptance, you don't be responsible for the laptop or the charges. Make a serious decision because I don't think you can change your mind after you selected.

Even though I'm bitter about not getting Apple OS Lion, I love my 13" just because it's so small and portable. I would watch my hulu full screen on my old 15" and work on lab, chat, papers on the 13". Only gripe is I wish I got the matte screen to get rid of screen glare.

hey everyone! I've been accepted for fall 12, does anyone know what they are doing for living next year?

hey everyone! I've been accepted for fall 12, does anyone know what they are doing for living next year?

congrats, im planning on living on campus. what are you thinking?