Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I was just wondering how long it took to receive an interview after you submitted your supplemental

Members don't see this ad.

the next day for me.

Congrats on your acceptance at CCP =) I'm a PSI at CPG and also one of the ambassadors there helping with all the nervous interviewees, so feel free to ask any questions.

As for a reply, I had to wait a little bit before I recieved an invite for my interview, but I got the results the day after my interview! (some may take up to a couple of weeks because they make decisions in blocks I believe)

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea the parking surprised me too. I came from an undergrad where an annual student parking pass was $600 and we all had to park in an isolated parking lot and shuttle bus into campus.

Negative aspects of living off campus...
- I've heard of tenants paying ~$30 for a parking spot at their apartment?
Versaille on the Lakes I think has free-for-all parking (guests and tenants) in addition to underground garage parking. I think the underground garage parking is the ~$30, but I could be wrong. Yorktown Apartments has free parking as of right now if you park at McDonald's and shuttle van to the apartment complex (other side of the parking lot).

From my opinion of the interiors... I'd think Yorktown Apartments are nice. They have a nice newer feel to it. Versaille's interior feels older and the floorboards creak in the hallway; exterior looks nice! Both kitchens are nice and relatively the same size, I think?

Yorktown Apartments are closer to campus and McDonalds is right outside your door, in addition to Yorktown Mall (equivalent to a Westfield Mall). Versaille is close to Costco, Starbucks, DMK Burgers (YUM) and some scattered areas of interest.

I do not know about rent amts...sorry.
Yorktown: http://www.yorktownapthomes.com/
Versaille: http://www.rmk.com/versailles_at_oakbrook/

- If it helps, I know more students that live in Versaille than Yorktown.

- In the winter it gets too cold to just drive to campus.

awesome! thanks for the info :D

I got my interview on Jan 11th!! I'm so excited :) hope to see some of you there!

question, is the due date for acceptance just for the deposit or for the matriculation agreement as well? i want to hold my spot since I still have to interview at another school in Jan. >.< but i wasn't sure if i need to fill out the form yet either or just pay... thanks!

question, is the due date for acceptance just for the deposit or for the matriculation agreement as well? i want to hold my spot since I still have to interview at another school in Jan. >.< but i wasn't sure if i need to fill out the form yet either or just pay... thanks!

You just pay your deposit...the matriculation agreement is just something you read and electronically agree/sign. So you sign the agreement and then it takes you to the payment part..from what I remember.

for those who interviewed on 10/30 or later, do any of you know if the admissions will get back to us with a final decision before Christmas?

FYI tomorrow is the last day of classes and we won't be back in session til Jan 2. If they're meeting up, it's gonna be soon or when we get back!

paid my deposit today. what a bittersweet moment. haha. I hope this serves as a reminder to those who need to put in the deposit by december 21.

congrats! :)
if you need help with the matriculation agreement stuff, I'm here!

p.s. for the munch money, that's the amount each qtr, not for the whole year. One of my classmates made the mistake of selecting $600 and he ended up buying a lot of us lunch :)

How much money should we select? or much will be ok for the qtr?also are there apartments near to the school, aside the two mentioned above?also do you get money back from your financial aid after everything been paid?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much money should we select? or much will be ok for the qtr?also are there apartments near to the school, aside the two mentioned above?also do you get money back from your financial aid after everything been paid?

I selected $100 and it was enough for me. You can only pay cash or munch money at the Commons and Common Ground. No credit card. Unused munch money for the quarter is lost at the end of the quarter and reloaded with the selected amount at the start of the next quarter. :thumbdown:

You can always load your ID with money to use for copies, printing, Commons and Common Ground that does not expire. :thumbup:

I'm sure there's other apartments around school but those are the two I've heard of so far because my friends stay there.

We do get financial aid refunds via direct deposit. My favorite time of the quarter :p

I just received an email regarding my acceptance! I'm so happy, but I have one question. I took the PCAT in September and thought I could do better so I decided to retake it on January. Could retaking it and possibly getting a lower score risk my acceptance? Any suggestions?

I just received an email regarding my acceptance! I'm so happy, but I have one question. I took the PCAT in September and thought I could do better so I decided to retake it on January. Could retaking it and possibly getting a lower score risk my acceptance? Any suggestions?

You're accepted! Cancel that exam! :)
but I want to say no, it does not hurt your chances because once you're accepted, you're accepted (unless you don't fulfill their requirements: courses; failure of the background check; not paying the deposit money, etc) they wouldn't "change their mind" based on a lower PCAT score.

I agree with jkong.
I think since you have already been accepted, it doesn't matter whether you take it again or not. It would've counted if you were still an applicant, in that case, some schools may take the average, while others will take the higher of the two.
As far as Midwestern is concerned, don't worry, you have all the right to celebrate. You earned it.
The only thing that can affect your acceptance now is if you fail or have a D or C- in any of the remaining prerequisites if you still have some to complete.

Congratulations!!!!!!!:thumbup:

You're accepted! Cancel that exam! :)
but I want to say no, it does not hurt your chances because once you're accepted, you're accepted (unless you don't fulfill their requirements: courses; failure of the background check; not paying the deposit money, etc) they wouldn't "change their mind" based on a lower PCAT score.

I agree with jkong.
I think since you have already been accepted, it doesn't matter whether you take it again or not. It would've counted if you were still an applicant, in that case, some schools may take the average, while others will take the higher of the two.
As far as Midwestern is concerned, don't worry, you have all the right to celebrate. You earned it.
The only thing that can affect your acceptance now is if you fail or have a D or C- in any of the remaining prerequisites if you still have some to complete.

Congratulations!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice guys!!!!! I might as well take it, I did pay for it again lol!

has any one got response for the interview on Dec 14th ??

I was interviewed on 12/14 and just got my acceptance email this morning!

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

Yeah definitely, I don't think that it would hurt! However, I wouldn't read too much into it if they don't reply right away given that its Christmas and they are probably not in the office.

I got accepted into Midwestern, and will most likely attend CCP if I do not hear back from any schools in CA, Arizona, or Nevada. How do you guys like it there?

I was born and raised in California. Lived there pretty much all my life. I have done a lot of traveling but I have never been away from home for that long. How are you guys adapting to the weather, culture, environment, being away from home, etc?

I also plan on taking my dog with me to Chicago. He's an American Eskimo, so I understand he will be fine when it snows. Dorming is probably out of the question for me if I bring my dog. How is housing there? Should I bring my own car also? Or would I be able to survive without a car? I originally planned to stop my car insurance and leave my car home (to save money), but people have been telling me that it's very hard to get to your rotation sites without a car -- especially since Downers Grove is in the suburbs.

One more questions, would you recommend working while in school? I am currently working as a technician for Target, and my manager said that he can transfer me to one over in Downers Grove if I want to work while I study. I would much rather work while studying... but not if it would put my grades in jeopardy. Is it doable??

THANKS!

Sounds like me, born and raised in CA. Congrats! :)

Yea, dorm is a no-go if you're bringing your puppy but I know many people who do have dogs that live off campus, I just don't know which places accept pets and where some dog parks may be.

YES bring a car or at least figure out transportation, especially Winter Quarter. In winter your first year, you have community pharmacy rotations. They try to place you closest to where you live (in my case, campus). However, I got placed at a pharmacy 45 minutes away (with morning traffic). There are no convenient bus routes or anything. It'll be your own car or taxi.

Another thing, IL "freeways" are all TOLLROADS. After this new year's day, the rates will DOUBLE (over $1 with I-pass; over $2 cash). I highly suggest getting an I-Pass (device that pays your tolls from your account) at http://www.illinoistollway.com/. You can buy it online or pick it up at a Jewel-Osco (CA equivalent Albertson's)

I have friends who work while in school and I want to say most are doing just fine. KEY is to keep up with the material and work on the weekends. It's very doable and I HOPE I can get a position when I return to school. It's GREAT that you work in a chain and can transfer employment. There's a Target across the freeway from school (very close, but you'll still need to drive) and I hope you get placed there :thumbup:

Another thing about CA cars that I learned: You do not have to get an IL license or plate or insurance.

CA considers living out-of-state for school a temporary residence. As long as your car is registered in CA, you do not have to change your plate or insurance. Likewise with your driver's license, since you don't maintain a permanent residence, you don't have to trade in your CA license for a IL license. FYI because I tried searching online and not really found an answer. Reference source: my phone call to AAA

more FYI:
CA Vons = IL Dominicks
CA Ralphs/Food4Less = IL Food4Less
CA Albertsons/Lucky = IL Jewel Osco

Last edited:
jkong, do you know if any houses are for rent nearby? or do you know if any students rent houses? I'm afraid an apartment might be too small for us :confused:

houses... good question.
I haven't really seen any houses nearby for rent... maybe one in a neighborhood behind the school past the wellness center. I want to say (really not sure) that for houses, you might have to commute a bit farther from school. The area around school is surrounded by the highway, business offices and like country clubs. There are spots of residential areas but I haven't browsed through them.

Sorry :(
If you're looking through craigslist, look for neighborhoods like Lombard, Downers Grove, Naperville, Glen Ellyn. As reference, I have friends who live in Aurora and it takes them 15-30 minutes to commute, I want to say? They take the 88

I know two couples who I assume got houses... they live about 40-45 minutes away? I don't know where they live. So it's POSSIBLE to find houses, but I'm not sure at all where they are and how ideal it is in terms of commuting time and such. :(

I have been placed on the alternate list. for the current students; is there any chance or it is considered as rejection!!??

I have been placed on the alternate list. for the current students; is there any chance or it is considered as rejection!!??

i am not a current student, but from what I have read on the CCP Class of 2015, a lot of people got pulled from the alternate list starting around March until 2 weeks before the start of class. so dont consider being placed on the alternate list as a rejection just yet! :)

waiting list = NOT rejection!
<----- Exhibit A :)

no clue who was waitlisted and who wasnt but from my interview group of four, 3 of us are attending. I'm sure they were all waitlisted because we interviewed very late (in MAY)

Man, that break was just WAY too short. I'm totally not in the 'school mood' yet. I might need another week or so. I just got back from home, so sorry for the lack of help/posting, but it seems like jkong's got it.

Actually, there are a lot of housing on Craigslist for rent in the area, but you will have to end up doing a lot of sifting and sorting through posts, unless you're really interested in "rent-to-own" houses. You'll also probably end up doing a lot of calling people and seeing the actual place before you committ to anything. It's possible to find housing for school - it just takes a lot of time, just like renting any place. And above all, it's Craigslist. I'm sure everyone's heard of at least one weird Craigslist story.

Merry belated Christmas to everyone, and a Happy Happy New Year to all (Yes, I put two "Happy"s on purpose. It sounds better when spoken). Good luck to those still applying, and good luck to those going on their interviews soon!

For the current pharmacy students, can you please explain what the reflective portfolio is? Also, what would you guys recommend for us to do in order to prepare for the medicinal chemistry courses? Thanks for all your help!

oh reflective portfolio...from what I hear PS-2s and us (PS-1s) dislike it.

to be compliant with the new APCE standard... we have reflective portfolio, a pass/fail required class. Which is the main reason why first years are required to purchase through the school $1500 for new laptops (Dell or Apple).

$1500 for a 13" macbook on OS Leopard. Not a 15" Macbook Pro... or OX Lion... 13" Macbook on Leopard. Charged in our tuition which means... I pay for it through my "financial aid" (ahem student loans)...with INTEREST. (obviously I'm still quite bitter)

PS-1 Fall: you have 10 professional outcomes (ie. set up your own practice, analyze data, communicate effectively, etc). You have to complete 10 baseline entries of what does it mean to you, why is it important, and how you plan to implement this outcome in the future.

PS-1 Winter: you will need to find evidence in your classes that fit into specific outcomes. Evidence can be our papers, workshop sheets, lecture clicker questions, etc.

future reflective portfolios... I have no idea what to expect.

For the current pharmacy students, can you please explain what the reflective portfolio is? Also, what would you guys recommend for us to do in order to prepare for the medicinal chemistry courses? Thanks for all your help!

Yeah, Reflective Portfolio isn't anyone's favorite class in the world. It's a pain in the butt that no one likes. It's actually kinda weird and hard to explain, so here's a couple of quotes straight from the syllabus:

"Course Description: The course will provide each student with a framework that can be used to document regular self-assessment of his/her progressive achievement of the curricular outcomes. An introduction to the e-portfolio platform, reflective writing, what is "evidence", and the value of self-assessment will serve as the primary lecture topics. The workshop component will focus on baseline assessment.

The Chicago College of Pharmacy PharmD curriculum provides students with a variety of opportunities to gain the knowledge, skills and attitudes associated with the successful practice of pharmacy, as described by our ten curricular outcomes. Both the Departments of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacy Practice have responsibility for the delivery of the four course Reflective Portfolio sequence (Reflective Portfolio I is offered by the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences). Our course activities (lectures, workshops, projects, assignments, etc.) are designed to contribute to the student's progressive achievement of a number of curricular outcome components. The activities in the Reflective Portfolio I course contribute to the following curricular outcomes and outcome components:"

Don't worry too much about the curricular outcomes at the moment. They're basically mission statements that MWU believes that each student should be able to do once they graduate. For example: "Communicate effectively; Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills; etc etc"

For this class, you have to compile a portfolio consisting of several of your own reflective essays - hence the name "Reflective Portfolio." You go to class and you have your professor explain to you what to write in the essays, how to write the essays, how to format and structure the essays, and how and when to submit the essays. They're extremely particular on how to write the essays, and they emphasize it over and over during class.

Here's an example of how one looks like:

"Curricular Outcome 3: Promote public health and disease prevention.
1. What does the curricular outcome mean to you?
2. How do you envision incorporating this outcome in your future practice of pharmacy?
3. Please indicate your level of achievement for this curricular outcome. (Here, you specify how competent you are in this curricular outcome on a scale of 1-5. Any level higher than 1, you have to write another paragraph justifying why you're that level of competency.)

For the first quarter, you have to write a total of 10 of these essays. For the second quarter, you expand on these outcomes using experience from class and other experiences from rotations or other outside places. These experiences are deemed "evidence".

Super fun, huh? :sleep:

There's no quizzes or exams behind this class, and you only have to meet 5 times throughout the entire quarter. However, everyone seems to feel that this class is completely unnecessary and it's just a huge pain in the butt. And apparently, we have to continue this throughout the rest of our 4 years at MWU. :eek:

As for Med Chem, from what I'm hearing, it's basically just O-Chem, but O-Chem gone bad. How to prepare for it? I guess just review all of your O-Chem notes and textbooks, but (I think) you don't have to worry about it until either late 2nd year or 3rd year.

If you guys didn't know already, I like giving lengthy and long-winded questions :D I hope this answers any questions.

Last edited:
Sorry this is off topic from the portfolios, but I had a question. So I just paid the deposit and it prompts me to pick a laptop the dell or the mac. Now I'm not a hundred percent sure I will be going to midwestern next year so I don't want to order a laptop just yet. But I can't seem to get away from the screen and get to the Accepted Applicant Checklist. What do I do? If I order the laptop now then will I be able to cancel at a later time if I don't go to Midwestern? I can't access anything else until I apparently order a laptop. Kinda frustrating lol

good question...I would give the Dean's Office or Admission's a call about that :\

I would ASSUME (hint that I don't know for sure), that you can go ahead and pick your laptop, etc. If you decide to withdraw your acceptance, they would make the necessary arrangements. Because the laptop would be charged to your student account and included in the tuition bill. If you decided to not attend the school, you don't have an active student account.

I withdrew my acceptance to another school and I was afraid that I would get double financial aid charged (ie. double the loans), but the school took care of all of that. I would think each school handles their rejected acceptances.

Thanks for your detailed answers.. I really appreciate it!

good question...I would give the Dean's Office or Admission's a call about that :\

I would ASSUME (hint that I don't know for sure), that you can go ahead and pick your laptop, etc. If you decide to withdraw your acceptance, they would make the necessary arrangements. Because the laptop would be charged to your student account and included in the tuition bill. If you decided to not attend the school, you don't have an active student account.

I withdrew my acceptance to another school and I was afraid that I would get double financial aid charged (ie. double the loans), but the school took care of all of that. I would think each school handles their rejected acceptances.

Lol thanks for the advice, I went ahead and emailed them. Ugh it was so frustrating because I finally gained access to stuff online and its all blocked up by the laptop page. I would imagine that it can be cancelled since there are no other options available, but doesn't hurt to be sure.

Thanks for your detailed answers.. I really appreciate it!
No problem, keep in mind that our class is the 2nd class to go through this Reflective Portfolio. I'm sure it might take a bit of time for the university to get all the kinks and logistics down. Considering trying to get 200+ PS-1s and 200+ PS-2s on the same page, while figuring out what needs to be adjusted and clearly emphasizing what is expected, Dr. Zavod is on top of her game...

but yea, we may dislike it and think it's a lot of work for 1 unit but eh. It's still gotta be done to demonstrate to APCE that MWU is fulfilling the new requirement

Does anyone know when the next interview date is for CCP? or how many more interview dates they are planning on having? I am still polishing up my CV before I can submit my supplemental, and I'm wondering if it might be good to just send it in now so I can at least get my name in the proverbial hat before they fill all their spots?

Does anyone know when the next interview date is for CCP? or how many more interview dates they are planning on having? I am still polishing up my CV before I can submit my supplemental, and I'm wondering if it might be good to just send it in now so I can at least get my name in the proverbial hat before they fill all their spots?

I submitted my supplemental and got invited the next day. So quick. The interview dates they offered were Jan 25th and Feb 1st.

I submitted my supplemental and got invited the next day. So quick. The interview dates they offered were Jan 25th and Feb 1st.

Thank you, I had very similar experience with MWU-CPG, but I just finished my supplemental Thursday or Friday night, and it was 5 days after the pharmcas deadline closed, so it might take them a bit longer for me. Congrats on the interview!

I just got an invite for interview. I am so nervous now. Could anyone let me know what the process of interview is?
Thanks

Check out the thread starting from post #72... some of the previous interviewing candidates have given their input of how the interview went for them and what the process is.

You should also be getting in your email the agenda of the interview day. Generally it's...

- check in
- welcome/intro/curriculum
- split into groups to do the written and group interview
- tour and lunch

you should be done by 1:00pm?

Accepted Students Midwestern C/O 2016:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/124911400949137/

Check out the thread starting from post #72... some of the previous interviewing candidates have given their input of how the interview went for them and what the process is.

You should also be getting in your email the agenda of the interview day. Generally it's...

- check in
- welcome/intro/curriculum
- split into groups to do the written and group interview
- tour and lunch

you should be done by 1:00pm?

Accepted Students Midwestern C/O 2016:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/124911400949137/

Hi again,

Isnt it weird that there are just 10 members while we were almost 60 people on the interview day in December , and No one is familiar to me! meaning we are all got rejection/wait list???

Hi again,

Isnt it weird that there are just 10 members while we were almost 60 people on the interview day in December , and No one is familiar to me! meaning we are all got rejection/wait list???

Not necessarily. There's a lot of people that just might not be in the Facebook group.

Some people might have gotten accepted into MWU but is still waiting on other schools. Other people who got accepted might not go on SDN and see the Facebook group. Other people might not even have a Facebook page, or might not know of the Facebook group. Other people might just simply not want to join the Facebook page. I haven't joined the group yet :p

For the class of 2015, we're STILL adding people into the group. For us, people started to be added like crazy about ~3 months before school started. It'll pick up soon enough.