Midwestern CCP Housing-anyone heard anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comet81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my housing applitation more than a month ago but I still have not heard anything from Residential Office. Has anyone who applied heard anything from them? I called them and they kept asking me to leave a message. I left a message twice and but they still have nto contacted me.

Members don't see this ad.

Relax. You still have time.

You won't hear for a while yet. Returning students just got the opportunities to pick their rooms and will do so through March. They don't even start placing new students until after that. School doesn't start until September so relax!

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't hear for a while yet. Returning students just got the opportunities to pick their rooms and will do so through March. They don't even start placing new students until after that. School doesn't start until September so relax!

Hey KARM, so how much harder is the second year compared to the third? Any electives that you regret you took? Which class is by far the toughest out of all the years.

really? I thought earlier applicant have prior chance.

I think the new students will get the housing application towards the end of the month or beginning of next month and then the process will start. I hope I get one of those apartments...its soo convenient n cheap...

I wouldn't worry about getting housing...you are still very early at this point in the game...besides there are always empty rooms on campus. You really don't have to worry about not getting a spot somewhere on campus if you've already applied. They always give preference to returning students, so you've got to wait til that room selection is over.

Second yr is the most difficult just because it is the most time consuming. On the other hand it is the most interesting. Third year you take a lot of boring classes like management and law...not my favorites. My least favorite elective was Vet. Pharm just because it was poorly run. Oncology was very difficult, but very interesting. Advanced Psych is a good elective and so are Landmark Trials and Adv. Physical Assessment.

Hardest class? Therapeutics 1

Is it really competitive to get into the apartments? I would really like to get one of those but I haven't even sent in my application for any housing. I am a new student by the way, but I will be living on campus. How are the rooms? I saw the rooms but what can u guys say about what living on campus is like?

Apartments are harder to get as a first year, but still possible. They fill up quick...especially with returning students. I would send in your app. asap.

i'm waiting for news too...does anyone know when the move-in time frame is? I know orientation is end of August...does the housing contract start beginning of august or mid-august?

i'm waiting for news too...does anyone know when the move-in time frame is? I know orientation is end of August...does the housing contract start beginning of august or mid-august?

Hey,
So I guess you are going to Midwestern CCP and not Appalachia? Did you apply to Midwestern CPG? I'm going to Midwestern CPG

Members don't see this ad :)
You still won't hear anything about housing for a few weeks. Returning students are still picking rooms. I think the deadline for that is the end of this week or next.

Orientation is generally on a Wed-Thurs of the week before classes start. Move in is usually that Monday.

:oops: I just rented at Versailles Apartments-Oakbrook
They have great specials going on- It is so easy to rent there!
And they have this Awesome studio that gives you a kitchen -and it is cheaper then the Dorms.
You should call them- about your housing- I was working with Marissa there and she explained there are alot of 1st year & 2nd year students there. They are only 2 mins away from the school!

2 minutes walking?

It is about a 5-10mn drive from campus. You can't walk to anything from campus.

While the base price for apartments may be a bit cheaper...remember you have to pay for your utilities when you own an apartment and not when you live on campus. Power, cable, internet....all adds up.

I actually would prefer living on campus over apartment. People think I'm weird for wanting to live in a small place, but I think it's more fun and it's a plus not having to drive.

I actually would prefer living on campus over apartment. People think I'm weird for wanting to live in a small place, but I think it's more fun and it's a plus not having to drive.

I lived on campus for 3 yrs and I loved it. It is the best way to meet people and you don't have to deal with the hassle of driving to class.

I lived on campus for 3 yrs and I loved it. It is the best way to meet people and you don't have to deal with the hassle of driving to class.

I visited a Redwood 1 campus and I really loved it. The person like me who only like to focus on studying (maybe not :D ), it is better to live at the dorm. Also, I do not want to cook.
KARM12, do they have public kitchen in redwood buliding? I kinda forgot about that.

I visited a Redwood 1 campus and I really loved it. The person like me who only like to focus on studying (maybe not :D ), it is better to live at the dorm. Also, I do not want to cook.
KARM12, do they have public kitchen in redwood buliding? I kinda forgot about that.

There are full kitchens in the basement...and each floor has a mini kitchen with a small stove top, microwave, and a little fridge. There is also a cafeteria on campus that is open breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

i plan on living on campus, i didn't get to visit the dorms or apartments during my mcv. i looked at the floor plans on the website and got an idea what of the layout. which ones are the newest so when i apply i'll know what to pick.

and one more thing, do they have wireless internet there?

i plan on living on campus, i didn't get to visit the dorms or apartments during my mcv. i looked at the floor plans on the website and got an idea what of the layout. which ones are the newest so when i apply i'll know what to pick.

and one more thing, do they have wireless internet there?

Redwood 2 just opened in Fall 2005.

There is wireless on campus...but I am not sure if you get a signal from the dorms. In each room you do have internet access through the wall for sure though.

Is the pines considered a 1BR apartment or an efficiency? Does it have an elevator?

Pines are apartments...no elevator there. The only dorm that has elevators is Redwood, but everyone will give you dirty looks if you ride it to the 2nd or 3rd floor.

In other news...they just sent contracts to returning students today..so all you new people should hear within the next few weeks.

In other news...they just sent contracts to returning students today..so all you new people should hear within the next few weeks.

KARM12..Do you think those who applied earlier can get their 1st or 2nd preferred room?
I put 1st and 2nd preference on rooms with private bath but I put shared bath on 3rd preference. I really want to have a private bath.

KARM12..Do you think those who applied earlier can get their 1st or 2nd preferred room?
I put 1st and 2nd preference on rooms with private bath but I put shared bath on 3rd preference. I really want to have a private bath.

My honest answer is likely not. The reason for this is that the rooms with private baths are generally taken by returning students first because they get priority over new students. However, the earlier you send in your application the more chance you have to get one of those rooms. Remember also you are competing for housing spots with students from other programs such as the med students, PA's, PT's, etc as well. Some of these programs start accepting students sooner than CCP.

Sharing the bathroom with one other student isn't a huge deal...I've done it for 3 yrs and have never had any problems.

I'm a little confused with applying for housing. Which contract did you guys choose? The 9-month (3qtr) Sept-May, or the 10-month(3 Qtr) August-May (CCOM only)? thanks!

I'm a little confused with applying for housing. Which contract did you guys choose? The 9-month (3qtr) Sept-May, or the 10-month(3 Qtr) August-May (CCOM only)? thanks!

You want the 9 month as a PS-1. CCOM is the DO school...

If i do the 9-months, would I be able to move in late august in time for the orientation?

If i do the 9-months, would I be able to move in late august in time for the orientation?

Yes, move in is generally 1-2 days before orientation. It is usually the last week in August sometime.

I'm definitely excited to live on campus next year- it'll be the best way to meet all you guys = )

For anyone that has actually seen the Pines, could you describe a little bit about it (condition, what it has in it, etc)? I'm trying to decide if the Pines is worth it, but if it's super old, small, and in terrible condition, maybe I should try for something off campus. Thanks!

For anyone that has actually seen the Pines, could you describe a little bit about it (condition, what it has in it, etc)? I'm trying to decide if the Pines is worth it, but if it's super old, small, and in terrible condition, maybe I should try for something off campus. Thanks!

There is an online tour off the MWU home page. They are weel kept. Not the newest, but not bad. I think they are unfurnished...but they do have the kitchen appliances. At this stage of the game it might be too late to get an apt on campus. They fill up fast.

has anyone signed up for the meal plan yet? i'm still debating on the different plans. i heard the food isn't all that great, but then i don't want to starve while in school either and have to worry about cooking while living in the dorms. any advice?

KARM12- i was wondering if you could describe rotations a little (what they're like, what you do on them)? is it a lot of projects/presentations? what exactly are the projects and presentations and who are they for....the preceptor or the school? would you consider rotations more or less stressful than actual school? thanks for any help.

Rotations are fun! Finally...a chance to apply what you've learned! There are a lot of projects and presentations. MWU's clerkships are actually very structured. All rotations (except the Elective) require a Case Presenation, Journal Club...all the clinicals you need to do a DI consult, plus 3 other projects as assigned by your preceptor. Community/Institutional both have drug worksheets, SOAP notes, and nutritional evaluations... There is plenty to keep you busy for 6 weeks. The presentations are all in front of your preceptor, but you may also have to present in front of other staff at the instiution..for example at my hospital I also presented in front of the all clinical pharmacists and director of pharmacy!

MWU has some really good rotation sites...Northwestern, Rush, Loyola, the Advocate Hospitals/Clinics, Mercy Hospitals/Clinics, Cook County Hospital....there is a lot of variety to pick from and it seems most people got their 1st or 2nd choices for most rotation picks.

Rotations are fun! Finally...a chance to apply what you've learned! There are a lot of projects and presentations. MWU's clerkships are actually very structured. All rotations (except the Elective) require a Case Presenation, Journal Club...all the clinicals you need to do a DI consult, plus 3 other projects as assigned by your preceptor. Community/Institutional both have drug worksheets, SOAP notes, and nutritional evaluations... There is plenty to keep you busy for 6 weeks. The presentations are all in front of your preceptor, but you may also have to present in front of other staff at the instiution..for example at my hospital I also presented in front of the all clinical pharmacists and director of pharmacy!

MWU has some really good rotation sites...Northwestern, Rush, Loyola, the Advocate Hospitals/Clinics, Mercy Hospitals/Clinics, Cook County Hospital....there is a lot of variety to pick from and it seems most people got their 1st or 2nd choices for most rotation picks.

This is for the last (4th) year, isn't it? Then, what is the introductory visit? The one that you go every year. I am little confused with their curriculum.

has anyone signed up for the meal plan yet? i'm still debating on the different plans. i heard the food isn't all that great, but then i don't want to starve while in school either and have to worry about cooking while living in the dorms. any advice?

I signed up for 10 meal program. I also heard that the food isn't that great but I think I still have to rely on campus food to save my budget.

This is for the last (4th) year, isn't it? Then, what is the introductory visit? The one that you go every year. I am little confused with their curriculum.

IPE just introduces you to the various practice settings. It is not the same as a rotation. IPE is one visit a week for however many of weeks. Rotations are full time, 40hrs a week, for 6 weeks each.

I think maximizing it is the best idea-since 12 is the max, thats not even really much food every week anyways.

i applied to midwestern and i havnt heard anything back from them. i called them abt a month ago to make sure that my application is complete.. and they have everything.

when should i hear from them? are they even still interviewing students?

thanks

KARM12- i was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing/describing some of the electives you took. are they taught in lecture format primarily? what kinds of things are grades based on? any electives you know of that don't have a project component? at this point i think i'd rather take a test/quiz/write a paper.....crazy as it sounds. were there any electives that you particularly enjoyed or would recommend taking?

on a different note, do you feel the school prepared you well for rotations? i know it's a ways away for me, but i worry about showing up and looking stupid, especially having minimal retail experience and no hospital experience.

one last thing, could you briefly share some of the pros and cons of AGO? going straight through with no summers doesn't sound bad to me, but i just don't know if it's worth paying more money for those summers only to graduate 6 months earlier.

sorry for all the questions, but i really appreciate any insight you're willing to give! thanks!

Most electives have projects unless they have a high enrollment number... There is a huge variety. My favorite was Adv. Psych. The psych professor is great and it is interesting. Grades can be based on projects, quizzes, exams, papers...all depends on the class. They are all very different.

School will prepare you just fine for rotations. Everyone worries about not knowing anything, but you'll know a lot more than you think once you start.

The AGO program is likely not going to be offered anymore...but no official word yet. I love it though, almost done!

Do you think you can go over the pros and cons of AGO? I find out in the summer if I'm in, but I can't decide if 6 months is worth the extra money. Hopefully you can enlighten me!

KARM12,
I have few questions about Midwestern curriculum. You mentioned that most courses's grades are based on projects, quizzes, exams, which is basically similar to undergraduate study. How different is the profesional study compared to undergraduate study?

Also,, have you had lots of presentations in your classes?