Tai

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
99
0
Status
Hey all,

I just found out I got accepted at CCP Midwestern and i need to make a decision about whether or not I should accept as I also have an offer elsewhere. It would be great if any current pharm students at CCP could give me some insight to the pros and cons of the school. All and any advice would be helpful! One big question is: what are the odds of getting into the 3-year program?

Thanks!
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
Tai-

I'm not a student at CCP so my apologies in advance for anything you already know. Like you I am a prospective student (no acceptance here though - MCV: Feb 7th).

I was kinda bummed about the system utilized to choose which students would be allowed to enter the 3 year fast-track program.

The one and only qualification was >3.25 gpa in your first year of phamacy school.

They take 50 students into it, but if more than 50 have over a 3.25 and want to enter the program, then it becomes a lottery system. So hypothetically, a 3.251 student could get in over a 4.00 student. This would be a chance that I personally don't think I would want to take (btw - I don't have a 4.00). The key word is chance: no guarantees!

Other than this small grievance, I though the school looked great. The facilities, the emphasis on faculty-student communication and a teaching oriented faculty, make the school quite appealing.

Oh, an additional "negative" which I'm sure you're already well aware of: the COST!

Hope this helps-
skp
 

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
3,341
5
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
PM indoflip, who is a 4th year student graduating from there next month. :thumbup: Or PM crossurfingers, who is a first-year student.
 

indoflip

Whats your question?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
76
0
The Windy City
Status
Hello! It's me, the 4th year CCP student.. which by the way, my LAST DAY OF ROTATIONS IS THIS THURSDAY!!! :D

I have to say I LOVE MWU. :love: Love it. I got accepted into the 3 year accelerated but I actually turned it down because I didn't feel like it was worth giving up 2 full summers just to graduate 6 months early.

I have a big project due this week so I can't sit down and write all about the school but why don't you PM me with some specific questions and I can try to answer them for you. Congrats on your acceptance!
 

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
143
0
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
skp said:
They take 50 students into it, but if more than 50 have over a 3.25 and want to enter the program, then it becomes a lottery system. So hypothetically, a 3.251 student could get in over a 4.00 student. This would be a chance that I personally don't think I would want to take (btw - I don't have a 4.00). The key word is chance: no guarantees!

Hey, I was under a different impression when I visited last month. I thought it was top 50 period, I didn't hear anything mentioned about a lottery if there was a tie. I thought CCP would just go down the line and ask the next student with the highest GPA if they are interested in it and so forth...Can someone please clarify this? This is one of the main reasons that I'm attracted to this program...to work my butt off to get out in three years.
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
lazydazy said:
Hey, I was under a different impression when I visited last month. I thought it was top 50 period, I didn't hear anything mentioned about a lottery if there was a tie. I thought CCP would just go down the line and ask the next student with the highest GPA if they are interested in it and so forth...Can someone please clarify this? This is one of the main reasons that I'm attracted to this program...to work my butt off to get out in three years.
e-mail admissions for more info.
at my session they went into detail about the accelerated option, and unless i completely misunderstood, my previous summary is correct.
 

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
143
0
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
hey skp,

I emailed a counselor last night after I posted on the forum. I recall the president of MWU CCP describing the AGO selection process, but she didn't say anything about a lottery system. I thought it was based on GPA and if you're interested...however, if there are students that have a tie than I guess a lottery is OK, but you think that they'd look at more than GPA to distinguish. I don't know...

I'm still going to work hard, but if I'm not selected for the AGO program, then I'll just have to deal w/it. I still really like the feel of the school.
 

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
143
0
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
hey skp,

I emailed MWU & received a response today. The counselor said that it's based on GPA and wasn't sure what would occur if there was a tie. However, it's my understanding that those w/the highest GPAs will receive offers and each offer is extended based on the order of GPA(from high to low ). They did away w/the lottery b/c they noticed that the students w/the highest GPAs were more productive than the students w/the lowest GPAs in the AGO program. However, the counselor was unable to answer what would occur if there was a tie (i.e. if there were 15 more people that had the same GPA and there were 10 spots). My hypothesis is that CCP would have to review other parts of students files in order to make a decision or something, but who really knows. Remember, that just b/c students qualify, it doesn't mean each one will accept it. I hope this clarifys everything for everyone on this post.
 
OP
T

Tai

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
99
0
Status
That is true! LazyDazy is right about the AGO program. I recall the admiss. counsler saying they got rid of the lottery system.

Another question I had was: If you go to an out of state school but want to do your residency (if you choose so) in Chicago, is it harder or do they not care what school you attended. I guess that would make a difference for any student trying to make a decision.
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
Tai said:
That is true! LazyDazy is right about the AGO program. I recall the admiss. counsler saying they got rid of the lottery system.

Another question I had was: If you go to an out of state school but want to do your residency (if you choose so) in Chicago, is it harder or do they not care what school you attended. I guess that would make a difference for any student trying to make a decision.
If they got rid of the lottery system - that's great! Can any students from Midwestern confirm this? crossurfingers are you out there?

(I'm an applicant too) :thumbup:
 

indoflip

Whats your question?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
76
0
The Windy City
Status
skp said:
If they got rid of the lottery system - that's great! Can any students from Midwestern confirm this? crossurfingers are you out there?

(I'm an applicant too) :thumbup:
Yes, this is true. When I got into AGO they accepted ONLY those with the top 50 GPAs. And I see there is so much talk about worrying getting into this thing.. Not everyone wants to go AGO. There are quite a few people in my class with 3.9something who did not want to do it. ANd I got into it but changed my mind, so I think the odds of getting in are good if you want to do it. Lots of students rely on summers to work and make money, and some are not in a rush to finish. You have to apply for it, and not everyone does. I know for a fact that everyone in my class who wanted an AGO spot got one.
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
indoflip said:
Yes, this is true. When I got into AGO they accepted ONLY those with the top 50 GPAs. And I see there is so much talk about worrying getting into this thing.. Not everyone wants to go AGO. There are quite a few people in my class with 3.9something who did not want to do it. ANd I got into it but changed my mind, so I think the odds of getting in are good if you want to do it. Lots of students rely on summers to work and make money, and some are not in a rush to finish. You have to apply for it, and not everyone does. I know for a fact that everyone in my class who wanted an AGO spot got one.
thanks for clarifying indoflip.

havin' a party thursday nite? :)
 

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
143
0
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
the residency you apply for shouldn't base your application as a prospective resident on whether you attended a school in state or not. it's based on the quality of the applicant. it shouldn't be that difficult to get into a residency program since most pharmacy students begin working immediately after graduation. you shouldn't have any problem going to CPG and completing a residency in Chicago. Good luck!

thanks for your encouragement indoflip! :)