Midwestern CCP vs. Notre Dame of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbehbaha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into both schools and up until today I was set on going to NDM, however after much consideration, I may want to go to Midwestern CCP. Any recommendations at all? Midwestern is more reputable, however NDM could potentially lead to a residency with Johns Hopkins. Any help would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about NDM. I do know quite a few Midwestern grads and they all regret attending that school. Each one ended up with right at $200,000 in student loans which is excessive for what a pharmacist earns. They also felt the school only had the pharmacy program to generate revenue and didn't really care about the students. If you have your heart stuck on pharmacy please find a cheaper alternative to Midwestern.

I've been accepted into both schools and up until today I was set on going to NDM, however after much consideration, I may want to go to Midwestern CCP. Any recommendations at all? Midwestern is more reputable, however NDM could potentially lead to a residency with Johns Hopkins. Any help would be appreciated :)

I don't know anything about the NDM, but when I had my interview at Midwestern I felt like they are very well organized, and that they care about students. They made sure that their applicants are informed what they need, and what the next step is, etc. Also, the area is nice, and school looks inviting. However, it is VERY expensive, and in my opinion if you have a chance to go to a cheaper school you should!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not attend Chicago College of Pharmacy

I am currently a first year student who has made it to my second year. I can not say that about many of my classmates, who have either been held back a year or completely failed out. Currently, there are about 30 students who are being held back and about 10 or so who have failed out. You have to imagine that some of those being held back will probably fail next year as you can not fail more than 3 classes your whole time here at CCP. One of my classmates who failed out had a felony on his record, not a dwi like some others had, (yes, a felony charge).

The average incoming classes PCAT scores were in the 3oth percentile. The average GPA was in the low 2's. It is like coming back to High school, people here are caddy, gossipy, immature and unprofessional. The school even started classes two weeks early for our class just so anyone who wanted to drop out can drop out and someone else take their place.

Here are my reasons to find another pharmacy school.

-Many of my class mates take Adderall and other stimulants to pass their classes. The top student in my class does some C2 to study.

-Your tuition will go up every year by 2000 dollars. By the time you graduate, you will be paying 46-48k for school. You are told that the increases are to pay staff a better wage. This does not mean that the school hires better professors, it just means they get paid more. No improvements occur to better your education. We even got an email not to study in chairs in one of the new buildings because it was interfering with the Dean's office.

-You pay a lot for tuition and get nothing in return. The school's gym and library are jokes.
The desks in the library are disgusting because people leave trash on them. They are not screwed in properly and make a ton of noise when you work on them, and finally there is not enough space. The school has books on shelves from 1992 but not enough desks to seat people. During finals, you will be fighting people for a place to sit. The library stays open until 12 midnight then kick you out to the "24" hour room which is even worse (because it smells). The bathroom's in the library and 24 hour room run out of soap and paper towels. They do not allow us to have hot water to wash our hands, even in the dead of winter in the bathrooms.
The gym is another joke. Exercise equipment from the 80's. The weight room was a closest they converted to a long hall with weights in them.

-The staff and some professors do not care about you. You can ask them for help and you are told, it is up to you. If you start to fail, then you qualify for tutoring, otherwise, you are on your own.

-Whoever makes the schedules probably hates you. Do you like taking exams at 7 am in the morning, No, neither do I. God forbid a Arctic-blasts sweeps in the night before a test, you will be told to either show up or fail. We once got an email the night before an exam where we have feet of snow dumped on top of us, telling us to use common sense and caution about driving to school. Common sense told me to stay at home and not risk my life to make it to class.

-Quarter system sucks, everything is crammed in. You sit in class from 8 am to 3 or 4. You are dead tired from being in class, then you have to study. You never have enough time to study.

-The dorms are prisons. Why would you want to pay close to a thousand dollars a month to have to share a bathroom and have no kitchen. Eating out is not healthy and is not cheap.

The lists goes on and on, take my advice, go somewhere else. Somewhere that is better. MWU cares only about money.

I know a current Midwestern CCP 4th year student and I would say this:

Cost:
Yes, Midwestern is up there, but not really any different from any other private school (not the most expensive, but not the least).
You can really only do significantly better if you go to a public school. Also, the quality of education you're getting is quite high and it is a known and established school. True too though that they bump their tuition by about 2 grand a year.

Class mates on drugs and/or getting held back:
This is an issue with the school? I have heard LOTS of stories about your particular class and so I think you could definitely knock the school for reaching on accepting too many students just to fill a class. However, you probably should look on it as a positive that they haven't lowered their standards for moving people forward. Think about it this way: Most everyone else (from your year and years before you) made it through the exact same material. The school isn't making it harder just for your class. My friend went through the same thing. The first year almost seemed like a "weed out" year because you have to ramp it up from undergrad. However, it's probably better that way. If someone can not handle it, they probably should cash out early and move on something else. PharmD is still a doctorate degree and you should respect it and respect yourself. You should have high standards for yourself regardless of whether you feel like the school cares about you or is too hard on you. It shouldn't be like high school where everyone just floats on through as long as they just kind of want to graduate. Some Pharmacy students do have it easier than others (like if they just have better memory and can consume large amounts of information quickly), but even for those students it does require at least some minimal amount of focus.

The rest of the stuff you mention is just personal opinion and you could find someone to agree or disagree with each point.
For example, I've only seen the gym and dorms occasionally and I agree that the dorms and facilities are old. However, I personally like the Quarter system (I had it for undergrad) and my friend likes it at
Midwestern. It is indeed like a sprint, but just when you're starting to get tired of the routine, it's over, in the books, and on to the next quarter. It doesn't drag on or get stale. Again, just personal preference.

You may not see the value of the money being paid in terms of respect from professors or student amenities and you may be right to question some of that. It's supposed to be non-profit in the sense that all the money it gets must be fed back into the school, but you could indeed argue how much of the money goes to professors and building new facilities vs improving dorms and student amenities. However, I know that Midwestern CCP is not a diploma mill and they do make sure the students students come out of there with a certain level of quality.

I agree that not all students should be in pharmacy school, but when your class mate has an established felony on their personal record? You cannot do anything but question the decision to accept someone like that. I personally want all my class mates to succeed but that is not a reality, but when you have a large majority that have failed out or are being held back, you have to question if the right students are filling the seats next to you.

You are right, some of my words are my own opinions. Quarter vs semester, purely personal preference. Weeding out students is a good thing.

You really have to weight your options, being in debt for a quarter of a million dollars, your debt to income ratio is in favor for debt. If you think you will come out making 100k, just remember that you will be taxed 20 - 25 % of your wages so you will be left with 80k to pay back 250k in debt? Does not make sense.

I still advocate to go else where.