Midwestern, Glendale 2012 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yikes. Maybe we were that bad? :eek:
hope not~ So I called them and they said they haven't made the decisions yet.

Members don't see this ad.

hope not~ So I called them and they said they haven't made the decisions yet.

If you interviewed less than two weeks ago, calling them was bad. You very well could have just made the decision for them.

I interviewed on the 26th of Jan. It's been two weeks. I saw that a lot of people interviewed last week already got replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any first year students lurking on this thread? I was curious to know what a weekly schedule looks like. Please post. :)

i believe pharmamamama is a first year student, she has been an ambassador for many interviews. Also, if you are in the MWU-CPG 2015 facebook group, you can find many current students chatting in there.

Any first year students lurking on this thread? I was curious to know what a weekly schedule looks like. Please post. :)

Weekly schedule for a first year in the summer quarter looks a little like this:

Monday 9-2
Tuesday 10-4 with exams @ 8 on certain weeks
Wednesday 9-12
Thursday 10-5 with exams @ 8 on certain weeks
Friday 9-12

Some Thursday afternoons you'll have off.

Weekly schedule for a first year in the summer quarter looks a little like this:

Monday 9-2
Wednesday 9-12
Friday 9-12

Hi,

im just wondering where you found this summer quarter schedule?

thanks!!

the waiting is killing me arggg my interview was last Friday, so tomorrow it's gonna be exactly 7 days !!!! I guess I can't complain since some ppl have been waiting more than that, but still, nothing is worse than waiting :(

I would say give it a couple weeks since it's getting later in the interview progress/exams/preparation for up coming class

It was super scary when people were getting accepted hours after interview while bunch of us waited a whole week.....*glares at certain pandawoman*

I would say give it a couple weeks since it's getting later in the interview progress/exams/preparation for up coming class

It was super scary when people were getting accepted hours after interview while bunch of us waited a whole week.....*glares at certain pandawoman*

This is why we are told to apply EARLY. Those who interviewed in Oct and Nov (like myself and panda) found out almost immediately. Those inteviewing in Dec and Jan seem to have to wait a little longer. And now since most of the seats are filled, MWU is being much more selective and the most recent interviewees are tortured with waiting.

Monday 9-2
Wednesday 9-12
Friday 9-12

Much thanks. This schedule doesn't look bad at all. It's obvious I'll never get away from a looooong Tuesday. But, woohoo for Wed and Fri. <afternoon nap>

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)

Monday 9-2
Wednesday 9-12
Friday 9-12

I actually spoke to a previous MWU student that dropped the program after attending one quarter and went to UofA. According to him, the schedule was almost always 9-4 and the rotations are very limited especially if I want to rotate to a VA hospital. What's your take on the rotations? How many MWU students obtain residencies compared to how many MWU students try to obtain residencies?

I actually spoke to a previous MWU student that dropped the program after attending one quarter and went to UofA. According to him, the schedule was almost always 9-4 and the rotations are very limited especially if I want to rotate to a VA hospital. What's your take on the rotations? How many MWU students obtain residencies compared to how many MWU students try to obtain residencies?

Schedule is definetely NOT 9-4 all the time. They tell us to make sure you are available those times in case one class gets cancelled and has to be replaced at a different time etc etc. First quarter is fluff and you guys will have plenty of time to relax and get to know one another. I'm pretty sure classes start at 9 and can go anywhere from ending at 11am or 12pm all the way up until 5pm. This all depends on the class and teacher that is teaching it. The only reason someone would leave MWU would be personal issues, getting accepted closer to home, or just plain ol' flunking out (which is EXTREMELY rare if you actually study). No one REALLY wants to leave MWU ;) :laugh:

Sincerely,
Your fellow ambassador/ P1

Schedule is definetely NOT 9-4 all the time. They tell us to make sure you are available those times in case one class gets cancelled and has to be replaced at a different time etc etc. First quarter is fluff and you guys will have plenty of time to relax and get to know one another. I'm pretty sure classes start at 9 and can go anywhere from ending at 11am or 12pm all the way up until 5pm. This all depends on the class and teacher that is teaching it. The only reason someone would leave MWU would be personal issues, getting accepted closer to home, or just plain ol' flunking out (which is EXTREMELY rare if you actually study). No one REALLY wants to leave MWU ;) :laugh:

Sincerely,
Your fellow ambassador/ P1

Student in the class ahead of me dropped to go to the U. I know who she's taking about.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

The schedule is definitely not 9-4 every day though in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the 1st year it gets more hectic/time intensive. There is certainly plenty of down time but this is an accelerated program.

I unfortunately can't speak to actual statistics on residencies applied for/received but I do know that more than just a handful of last years graduating class are on their residency right now.

As far as VA rotations, there is a new faculty member whose practice site is the VA. She takes 2 students during every rotation block and the VA offers MWU an additional small number of rotations at the hospital as well so there is good opportunity to get in there. (My 2nd block advanced rotation is actually at the VA).

The schedule is definitely not 9-4 every day though in the 3rd and 4th quarters of the 1st year it gets more hectic/time intensive. There is certainly plenty of down time but this is an accelerated program.

I unfortunately can't speak to actual statistics on residencies applied for/received but I do know that more than just a handful of last years graduating class are on their residency right now.

As far as VA rotations, there is a new faculty member whose practice site is the VA. She takes 2 students during every rotation block and the VA offers MWU an additional small number of rotations at the hospital as well so there is good opportunity to get in there. (My 2nd block advanced rotation is actually at the VA).

That sounds great. :) I guess the student I talked to just had a particularly bad experience or something.

Every program has their pros and cons and every program won't be a good fit for everyone. I don't want anyone to think I'm just sort of MWU shill; I think there are a LOT of great PharmD programs out there. U of A is certainly one of those. If MWU feels like the right fit for you then go for it. There are plenty of opportunities there to work towards the career in pharmacy you want.

Anybody got rejected? When and how do they send out their rejections? I interviwed on 2/2

I interviewed last Thursday and was impressed with the interviewing process at Midwestern. Definitely very laid back, I was really surprised as it was my first interview for pharm school ever. I was very nervous but talking to the P1 student and the presentation before the interview put me totally at easy.

There was a pretty small group apparently too with only 9 of us. From what it sounded like the adcom is meeting this Friday apparently to review the applications. Hopefully well hear more then but I felt pretty good about it. :)

If anyone was there I was Matt and in the last group that interviewed, I was really impressed with the faculty and students. If accepted 99% chance that's where I will be going :D

Well got the offer, but declined. Hope one of you get my spot. Good luck everyone.

I just checked my portal and it seems that I was accepted. Btw I'm from the 1/26 batch. Anyway, the problem is I'm not sure if I was really accepted because they're looking for a transcript from a college I didn't go to. It would be an awkward conversation if they accidentally accepted me. :oops:

I just checked my portal and it seems that I was accepted. Btw I'm from the 1/26 batch. Anyway, the problem is I'm not sure if I was really accepted because they're looking for a transcript from a college I didn't go to. It would be an awkward conversation if they accidentally accepted me. :oops:

Just email then and let them know. They are very quick with their responses and problem solving!

I interviewed 1/27 and haven't heard back... anyone from the 1/27 interviews been accepted? I interviewed at the Chicago campus 2/1 and was accepted 2/10, but haven't seen anything on the portal or receive an e-mail about the Glendale campus :confused:

First time posting on SDN!

I interviewed on 1/27 and I just signed my matriculation agreement today! I found out I was accepted on Monday after checking the MWU portal and calling Admissions to make sure I was really admitted. I never got a call from the Dean's office..:confused: Oh well, I guess I'm going to Glendale!

Hey everyone!!! Let's be friends YAY!!:laugh:

Rake, sounds like what happened to me. I interviewed on 2/2. I checked my portal a few days later and found the matriculation agreement. I had to call admissions just to make sure as well! Interestingly, I still havent recieved an OFFICIAL acceptance letter, but I got verification that I was accepted by admissions. Pretty much if the matriculation agreement opens up on your portal, youre in.

Look forward to meeting you.

First time posting on SDN!

I interviewed on 1/27 and I just signed my matriculation agreement today! I found out I was accepted on Monday after checking the MWU portal and calling Admissions to make sure I was really admitted. I never got a call from the Dean's office..:confused: Oh well, I guess I'm going to Glendale!

Hey everyone!!! Let's be friends YAY!!:laugh:

I never got a call either. Don't stress it. The acceptance letter is 7 - 10 days behind.

For the PS1-3s of Midwestern watching this thread, thank you for your input and answering questions we have.

I have another two quick questions:

1.) How technology-intensive is the coursework? I have a 5 year old Macbook and while it is still pretty reliable I would consider selling it and getting a new computer if the curriculum is going to be very dependent on technology. Is all of the computer work Mac-friendly or would I be better off with a Windows platform?

2.) Our tour guide mentioned that most professors are ok with students recording lectures as long as they get permission first. Do a lot of people record the lectures and would you recommend it?

June is just around the corner, I'm getting excited! Looking forward to the school and meeting everyone.

For the PS1-3s of Midwestern watching this thread, thank you for your input and answering questions we have.

I have another two quick questions:

1.) How technology-intensive is the coursework? I have a 5 year old Macbook and while it is still pretty reliable I would consider selling it and getting a new computer if the curriculum is going to be very dependent on technology. Is all of the computer work Mac-friendly or would I be better off with a Windows platform?

2.) Our tour guide mentioned that most professors are ok with students recording lectures as long as they get permission first. Do a lot of people record the lectures and would you recommend it?

June is just around the corner, I'm getting excited! Looking forward to the school and meeting everyone.

Hello there =)
I personally have an old computer as well (though it's not a Mac) and I haven't had any problems accessing anything. As long as you have adobe acrobat and whatnot and can access blackboard websites then I'm pretty sure you will be fine. The school is very accomodating and will bend over backwards to make sure every student can access their stuff. (worst case scenario you have the library)

Students are allowed to record lectures as long as the teacher says it's fine. There are very very few teachers who actually care about being recorded, so it's better off just to go to class.

Overall though, the powerpoint slides that you are given (as well as other hand outs the teachers give to the class) are sufficient as study materials for the exams.

Hope that helps =)
-P1

Hello there =)
I personally have an old computer as well (though it's not a Mac) and I haven't had any problems accessing anything. As long as you have adobe acrobat and whatnot and can access blackboard websites then I'm pretty sure you will be fine. The school is very accomodating and will bend over backwards to make sure every student can access their stuff. (worst case scenario you have the library)

Students are allowed to record lectures as long as the teacher says it's fine. There are very very few teachers who actually care about being recorded, so it's better off just to go to class.

Overall though, the powerpoint slides that you are given (as well as other hand outs the teachers give to the class) are sufficient as study materials for the exams.

Hope that helps =)
-P1
Thanks!

P.S. - I was planning on recording in addition to going to class, I wasn't looking to skip out! Reason I ask is I have a cousin who is in a Pharm.D program in GA and he records every lecture and uses it as his primary study tool.

Thanks!

P.S. - I was planning on recording in addition to going to class, I wasn't looking to skip out! Reason I ask is I have a cousin who is in a Pharm.D program in GA and he records every lecture and uses it as his primary study tool.

Yeah, to each their own really. First quarter I doubt you'd need it, but it seems to have increased a bit more second quarter onward. You'd need alot of time if you plan on sheer learning just through listening to lectures haha, it definetely tends to get a bit lengthy (and could get a bit dry depending on what professor you may have).

Congrats to everyone that made it in!

My name's Monte and I'm a 2nd year here at CPG (class of 2013).

For those that didn't make it in yet, DON'T LOSE HOPE! I was waitlisted back when I interviewed and so were both of the people I interviewed with. We're all here now. A lot of people drop their seats so don't get discouraged. Hopefully Dr. D will call you when they review the waitlist.

Best of luck to all of you, can't wait to see my new colleagues in the summer!

If you don't mind me asking when did you guys get pulled off the waitlist?

I was just accepted to the University of Arizona also. :)

I was just accepted to the University of Arizona also. :)
Congrats!!!! I wish this waiting was easier, I am still waiting to hear about interviews from a couple of schools :scared:

I hope I'll at least hear something from Midwestern by early to mid March.

Where are you headed then? Here or Tucson?

Hello all,

I was accepted back in September of last year, and initially declined the offer.... Well, it turns out I have decided to accept the offer, and they were kind enough to re-extend the offer....

Looking forward to meeting you all in June!

Hello all,

I was accepted back in September of last year, and initially declined the offer.... Well, it turns out I have decided to accept the offer, and they were kind enough to re-extend the offer....

Looking forward to meeting you all in June!

Wow. You must have some pretty serious credentials.

Question for current students who've got electives... I read in the MWU CCP thread that you can end up without an elective. I understand you'd have to rank 'em and there are limited spots, but i'd think you'd get into something! Is this an issue at Glendale?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

I interviewed at both Midwesterns recently, Glendale and Chicago. I just logged in today to see the accepted checklist. When I looked at the agreement I noticed it was for the Chicago campus. Does anyone know if this means that I can no longer get accepted to Glendale? Has anyone heard of someone being accepted to both schools in their portal with the option to choose?? Thanks.

Question for current students who've got electives... I read in the MWU CCP thread that you can end up without an elective. I understand you'd have to rank 'em and there are limited spots, but i'd think you'd get into something! Is this an issue at Glendale?

We just had a 3rd year MWU student speak to our prepharm club, and I asked about electives. When it comes time for elective, you must choose the top 5 you are interested in. I think its first come first serve so everyone sits at a computer waiting for them to "open." Kind of like when classes open for registration. I was told some electives are cancelled due to lack of interest (I believe they look for 6 or 7 minimum) and some are competitive to get into.

I asked about the electives because they offer a lot that I like and it helped me choose that program. However, if I can't get into the ones I want or if they are cancelled due to lack of interest I'm going to be upset. It would really suck to turn down UA with hopes of taking a compounding or nuclear elective only to find out neither will happen.

Nelcovp, I am also interested in both those electives... so that's 2. ;)

I also want classical homeopathy. I know that is one that is sometimes cancelled.

Compounding OR Nuclear? What if I want both!!!???! :mad:

According to their curricula, you must take 8 total elective courses. My post probably seemed like there is only one available spot for electives. Take both!!

Edit.... should have been "and" in my post. I also have 6 others that interest me. Have everyone seen the elective courses list? Its pretty hard to find. I'll post the link if anyone wants me to.

I interviewed at both Midwesterns recently, Glendale and Chicago. I just logged in today to see the accepted checklist. When I looked at the agreement I noticed it was for the Chicago campus. Does anyone know if this means that I can no longer get accepted to Glendale? Has anyone heard of someone being accepted to both schools in their portal with the option to choose?? Thanks.

I got accepted to both schools, and you will see two checklists when that happens. I paid the Glendale deposit and left the Chicago one alone past the deadline. Now only the Glendale checklist is in my portal. :)

I got accepted to both schools, and you will see two checklists when that happens. I paid the Glendale deposit and left the Chicago one alone past the deadline. Now only the Glendale checklist is in my portal. :)

Thank you!