Midwestern Glendale vs Chicago Pros/Cons

Started by gchang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gchang

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there's been many forum posts in the past regarding this issue but they are outdated and didn't have much information.

I've been accepted into both programs but still waiting on my first choice school (VCU) to get back to me. Since both MWU deposits are due next week, I need to make a decision now in case VCU doesn't get back to me in time.

Just want some pros and cons for both programs.

Right now I'm leaning more towards Glendale because
1) I live in LA so it's relatively close by (5 hour drive)
2) It's warm hahaha
3) 3 year program, I'm going to be 24 going into Pharm school, I'd like to start my career soon
4) living cost is cheap

Can't really think of any other reasons why to choose Glendale over Chicago or vice versa. Feedback from current or past students of these two schools is greatly appreciated!! 🙂 I'm looking for details on...
1) how's the job search after graduation
2) residency placing?
3) school environment, faculty, program in general
4) any regrets going to this school?

THANKS
 
I also had a choice between Glendale and Chicago and I immediately chose Glendale.
First off, I do not know your race (I'm assuming asian cuz of your screen name) but I'm asian and it seems that Glendale has a good % of asian pharmacy students (mainly from Cali). I've had friends who already graduated from the program in Glendale and loved it (and with a good % of asians they felt "more comfortable").
Secondly, the Chicago one has a bigger class size. That may work with some people, but I prefer a smaller class size so I am able to ask more questions and get more help when needed.
Finally, look at the location. Illinois has like 5-6 pharmacy schools, and the market over the is saturated. Arizona only has 2 pharmacy schools. If you want to get a pharmacy intern job while in school, it seems that you will have less competition to get one if you are in Arizona.
(ALSO 3 year vs 4 year is another reason. 1 year less of tuition is great, but there is more stress studying because it is year round.)
Since you are from L.A., the Arizona weather will be similar to what you are used to. Chicago has winters so you may not like it.
 
Last edited:
I dunno if you submitted your deposit already since it's been awhile but I'm a first year at MWU Glendale so I can provide some input.

My class is about 1/4 asian. Most of the asians are from socal. School is small, clean. Library is cool because they let you bring food in (not super smelly food, but they won't make a big deal with snacks or whatever). Gym is small but it's good enough. I don't know what appeals to you but there's maybe 6 treadmills and the basketball courts are identical to Chicago's. A handful of people play basketball or volleyball regularly so you can definitely meet some people and get a game going if you really wanted to. Groceries are all super close. If I'm looking for a specific item I can get to the grocery store and back to on-campus housing in about 15 minutes. Gas is cheap too.

The IPPE selections in California are kind of limited though, if you wanted to go out of state. I'm not sure about APPE's since I'm not at that point yet. There's plenty of local sites though for sure.

If you're into lounges/clubs/nightlife, it's about a 30-40 minute drive away. Alcohol is generally much cheaper in AZ too. Vegas is 4.5 hours away.

The curriculum in AZ and Chicago is pretty much identical. It's just the timing of the quarters are shifted since we start early in the summer since it's a 3 year school.