Midwestern-Glendale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

off2skl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just joined the message boards and noticed that at least two of you attend/will attend Midwestern in Glendale. I'm just beginning the application process for next fall and they are my top choice. Are there any tidbits of information you can give me that may help me in their application process? As background, I have two more prereqs to finish, have already taken the PCAT (same weekend as my wedding as luck would have it), and have some volunteering lined up at one of the hospitals. This would be a career change for me and finding part time positions as a tech has been difficult given my schedule.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm one of those who will be going in the fall. I think that lord999 is in his 2nd or 3rd year there now. I applied, interviewed, and got accepted, so I can help a little, but I think that I'll have some better info for you once orientation/classes start (Aug 27th).

Since moving to AZ, I've met several pharmacists who went to Midwestern and they really liked it (I was glad to hear that). I'm under the impression that MWU really likes high PCAT scores, possibly because a large percent of their applicants are out of state and they need a way to equate their GPA's, etc. From what I was told (casually) in the COP office, our incoming class has an average GPA of around a 3.5, and a composite PCAT of 90%+. I can't tell you how valid those numbers are, but they are straight out of the mouth of one of my future professors. I didn't have the 3.5, but I did have a 96% PCAT. I've also heard that there were about 600-650 apps, 300 interviews, and then 126 students accepted (give or take on all of those). I would expect that number to rise for next year, but it's impossible to predict.

I think that good advice for you would be to do well in your pre-reqs and join/volunteer for some activities that show a commitment to the heathcare profession, and also show that you know WHY you'd like to be a pharmacist. As you probably know, they have mandatory interviews. The day was actually really nice, and everyone was incredibly friendly (for 8 hours!). The only real "interview" part was a half hour of just the applicant and a small panel (I had a professor, pharmD, and student). They were all very friendly, and didn't have any of my information in front of them (ie. no "why did you get a C in orgo 2?" questions). I was lucky enough to have worked in retail for years, and I think that I was able to effectively answer almost every question with an example from my experiences. It's nice to be able to say "well, during my 2 years as a pharmacy tech, I've.. blah blah". So good idea as far as the volunteering goes.

There were several people who were doing a career change in my interview group, so that's not really going to make much of a difference, in my opinion. The one student who I stayed in touch with (after interviews) was doing a career change at age 26, and he was accepted. I don't think that it's going to help or hurt your chances, but I can't see inside the adcom's heads.

I'd start pharmCAS early, since it's so new and probably full of bugs. Letters of rec can also take a while to obtain, so be sure to get them from people who you can count on, and with relevant authority/experience. If you're just starting the last of your pre-reqs this fall, you might want to tell your professors on the first or second day of class that you would like them to write a letter of rec, if appropriate. Keep in touch with them all semester, and when the time comes, it's sometimes nice to provide them with a copy of your resume or CV so that they have some things to base the letter on. Don't get lost in the crowd all semester, come out with a B, and then as for a spectacular letter of rec.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Even people who are accepted don't really know "why" they were accepted, so it's not like I can speak for the adcom. I can, however, speak from my own experience.

What profession are you coming from? Where in AZ do you live now?

Oh yea..

Make sure you look into the school before interviews/application essay. I had several people in my interview group who had no idea that it was a 3 year (only) school, and that they wouldn't have summers off. I've run into a few interviewers who have said that they really didn't want to admit someone who didn't even really know what they were getting themselves into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm in teaching right now and live in Mesa. I'm glad to hear about the PCAT...I scored in the 96th percentile too ( a big shock). I am worried that the lack of experience in pharmacy could be a setback. And letters of rec may not be as strong as i'd like. i have a couple of science profs recently, but the majority were over 7 years ago and i can't very well go back and ask for one now after all that time. I'm planning to start the Pharmcas this weekend. I'm shooting for the early decision deadline.

Address your weak areas first and soon! Get your profs to write you a letter, volunteer as much as possible and get to know your supervisor (then have them write a letter of rec). Prove to the adcom that you know what you're getting into, and that it's not a money/job/convenience issue and you're in good shape.

A 96% PCAT, and a degree is a great place to start! Good job! I'm not sure on the early acceptance, because I know that they only take a few. Then the rest have to re-apply at the regular deadline. I don't know if I'd like to get rejected, and have to go through the whole thing again and then get in, after sweating for a few months. But, I'm also a fan of "apply as early as possible", there were people in my interview groups who had been denied early application (hmm, now that I think about it, this was at MWU in IL, so I don't know how they do it here). Call and ask, maybe. I think that they only take maybe 10-15 students for early app, but I could be wrong.

According to their open House paperwork from last year they accept up to 20% through open Admission and it wasn't a case of reapplying per se, if you weren't selected then your app was put into the general admission group. But that may have changed, because that paperwork also said that the avergage PCAT composite for the previous year or two was in the 60th percentile. I don't think I'll be with the hospital long enough to get a letter of rec by the early admission deadline though. I focused too long on trying to get into retail.

Originally posted by off2skl
According to their open House paperwork from last year they accept up to 20% through open Admission and it wasn't a case of reapplying per se, if you weren't selected then your app was put into the general admission group. But that may have changed, because that paperwork also said that the avergage PCAT composite for the previous year or two was in the 60th percentile. I don't think I'll be with the hospital long enough to get a letter of rec by the early admission deadline though. I focused too long on trying to get into retail.

Ok, but remember that 20% of 126 (I think that's the class size) is still only "up to" 25 students. I was surprised by the PCAT number also, but I can tell you that 4 of 4 applicants that I spoke with at my interview had 85%+ PCAT, and 3 had a degree. I would assume that they will make this years class info available in early Sept. Those numbers were also just quoted to me by a professor, that doesn't mean that they are accurate. Best of luck!

Early admissions sounds like a good idea, especially if you have a strong history/GPA. In my opinion, it would be better to get good letters of rec (by volunteering, getting them from fall-semester profs, etc) and possibly work experience before applying for "normal" admissions, rather than risk a shot at early app, but I don't know your particulars, and I'm not on the adcom. Do they give you a chance to change/update your file in case you're not selected for early admission? In either case, it sounds like you have a pretty stong app. In my opinion, that PCAT alone will carry you pretty far at Midwestern.

It's been awhile, my computer crashed as I was trying to post something a week ago. Just got it fixed....

For Midwestern, having been at both ends of the table, your interview makes or breaks you. I've seen people with pathetic scores receiving acceptance letters, but people who interview particularly poorly receiving rejection letters despite scores.

I take it you already have a bachelor's. That's a plus.

Talk to Krista (admissions head) about PCAT. I don't really think our school is all that concerned with it unless you did horrendously on that exam.

Early admissions for next year will guarantee 25 seats maximum, and we usually fill them up. I think with PharmCAS that you may not apply for admission elsewhere if you tag one application as early admit (so U of A would be out of the question).

In our state, DO NOT take OChem in the summer. They have this ***** named Zakaplos or similar who is legendary for incompetence. Take it with either "Ian Gould" or "James White".

Zikopolous.... I had him last semester (and it's not so much that he's incompetent; he just doesn't care to be teaching....and I knew this from almost the first day....). He's very condescending, sarcastic, and basically expects you to learn from the book (whcih for me, o Chem is not a subject in which that is easy to do. I did OK in the class. A group of us actually wrote a letter of complaint about him to the Dean, but as of now I have him this semester too (he's the only one who seems to teach the night class).

yes, I have a BS, and actually and MEd. I've heard that having a degree helps, hopefully having the master's won't be harmful.

Could you give me some idea about the interview process and some questions that I may expect?

Thank so much.

Originally posted by off2skl
Could you give me some idea about the interview process and some questions that I may expect?

Thank so much.

The couple that I remember were the usual type interview questions (no right/wrong answer, just looking for competency/communication/ability to reason)

"Introduce yourself"

"What do you perceive as the biggest ethical issue in healthcare right now?"

"How would you handle a situation in which you strongly disagreed with your superior?"

Hope that helps. I think that the student-interviewers have to make up their own questions and then just ask one that they feel is appropriate. I answered questions from all three of my interviewers, but I know that some of my classmates only had 2 people in their "panel". I also bought a book about interviewing for a job before I had my school IV's and I thought that it helped a lot, if only to make me a little more confident.

I put some of my questions down on another thread. The process is generally informal. Our admission coordinator, Krista, is exceptional in coordinating schedules and ensuring a fair process (even with some of the more difficult interviewers).

As a recent grad from Midwestern, I can tell you that the admissions process has become much more competetive over the last few years. I think they are looking more closely at the extracurricular activities of the applicants as well as their science/math GPA's. Rumor had it that there were almost 600 applications for the 2003 class.

As a side note, the school is still new and has a lot of inexperienced instructors and some super-egos...not to mention the fact that tuition went up 6% (I think) last year.

Is anyone else besides me and off2skl applying for early admissions decisions at MWU-CPG?

My GPA's not hot (3.3), and I haven't taken the PCAT yet, but I'm not too worried about it. I have an awesome personal statement, and I have 2 years of research experience and I volunteer at a free clinic pharmacy. (Don't want to jinx myself though). I'm still crossing my fingers.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea anymore. If I do get accepted, I have to give a $750 deposit by January, and I probably won't have heard if I'm even going to be invited for an interview at UT Austin by then.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AngryRPh
I think they are looking more closely at the extracurricular activities of the applicants as well as their science/math GPA's. Rumor had it that there were almost 600 applications for the 2003 class.

I can tell you for sure that they value experience very highly. It is difficult to find a student in our class without at least some tech experience. On Friday, we were told that there were over 700 applications for the '03 admissions cycle. Class size is 130.

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
I can tell you for sure that they value experience very highly. It is difficult to find a student in our class without at least some tech experience. On Friday, we were told that there were over 700 applications for the '03 admissions cycle. Class size is 130.

I worked with a few people at WAG who supposedly did well in their pre-pharm classes and interviews but were still denied. I guess with 700 apps you can be very picky. I didn't like the way they kept increasing the class sizes and then handing us 7% tuition increases each year. If past history holds true, you will lose 5 to 10 people from your class for various reasons...but I do believe that it is the largest incoming class yet...Lord999 would know for sure.

Lord999, how's chemo/HIV going? check your PM...

Originally posted by AngryRPh
I worked with a few people at WAG who supposedly did well in their pre-pharm classes and interviews but were still denied. I guess with 700 apps you can be very picky. I didn't like the way they kept increasing the class sizes and then handing us 7% tuition increases each year. If past history holds true, you will lose 5 to 10 people from your class for various reasons...but I do believe that it is the largest incoming class yet...Lord999 would know for sure.

Lord999, how's chemo/HIV going? check your PM...

Lord999 has been a good source of info for me. The tuition is somewhat high, but they make a valid arguement that it's fairly reasonable for a private school (or out of state public) if you think about paying other schools over 4 years (it turns into about $18,500/year). I think that they mentioned we'd lose 5-10 people, but they also said that they've only "removed" 3 students in 6 years for academic problems. They also mentioned that the class size isn't going up anytime soon. Cholla C is almost to full capacity. Thanks for your input, it's always nice to know people who survived. :)

jd, lord999, and AngryRPh, AmandaRxs, the description of your program mentions: "In CPG's comprehensive, innovative, Pharm.D. program, you belong to a small student group where you'll complete assignments and work together on projects."

To what extent is this true? Are you assigned a goup that you have to work with for the entire three years, or are you just encouraged to join a group of your own choosing? It only worries me because in my experience, when you are assigned to a group, there is always someone who rides along and lets the rest of the group do all the work. I like group work, but I still have a bit of "only-child syndrome" that I have to overcome. :)

Originally posted by karmapatroL
jd, lord999, and AngryRPh, the description of your program mentions: "In CPG's comprehensive, innovative, Pharm.D. program, you belong to a small student group where you'll complete assignments and work together on projects."

To what extent is this true? Are you assigned a goup that you have to work with for the entire three years, or are you just encouraged to join a group of your own choosing? It only worries me because in my experience, when you are assigned to a group, there is always someone who rides along and lets the rest of the group do all the work. I like group work, but I still have a bit of "only-child syndrome" that I have to overcome. :)

You are randomly assigned to a group of 6 or 7 people before orientation, and you normally remain in that group for the entire time that you are at CPG. I have seen cases, however, where people have left a group for various reasons. You can expect to do quite a few group assignments and presentations.

My group (only 5 people) worked together quite well, even though we hardly even talked to each other outside of group assignments. A lot of groups did have 1 or 2 "free-riders" that didn't do their fair share, however. The group advisors (faculty member) do little to address complaints, so if you do have a free-rider issue, it's best to take it up directly with the person.

My group didn't work at all, and we had extreme difficulties with one personality in my group. Essentially what AngryRPH says is true, but it is possible to be reassigned to a different group if it isn't working out.

The problem is summarized by "Cs and Ds equal Pharm. D." in my group.

We only had a few assignments together, but it was enough to screw us all up.

AngryRPH, I'm kind of surprised your group got along.

Originally posted by lord999
My group didn't work at all, and we had extreme difficulties with one personality in my group.

The problem is summarized by "Cs and Ds equal Pharm. D." in my group.

We only had a few assignments together, but it was enough to screw us all up.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. :) I doubt that I would hang out with my group on a daily basis, but I would certainly hope that they have enough common sense to pull it together when everybody's grades depend on their efforts.

You're assigned groups during orientation and it's headed by an advisor which is a professor. I guess the advisor is supposed to have a meeting with their group at least once a month. Some have ps-1's and ps-2's meet together, which would be helpful to know what the ps-2's are going through. We also have to do group workshops in which you research a particular case study. And I think that anytime you have to do presentations you do them with your group. Other than that you don't have to study with your group or hang out with them too much.

I'm lucky because my group seems to be cool, there's only one that I could see a potential problem with in terms of not doing his share of work. Maybe we should trade him out for jd!!

Originally posted by lord999

Yeah...as far as personalities go, we couldn't have been any more different. Luckily we all knew that we had to work together to finish assignments and we could usually knock them out pretty quickly. It's funny now that I think about it...

The cute little bubbly blonde (not me)

The pretty sophisticated blonde (not me)

The party animal (not me)

The resident genius (not me)

The apathetic fearless one who would constantly challenge the administration (yeah...that would be me)

It's not all bad. I found out in Year II that because of the grade distribution, I totally could stand to blow a project and still kept an 'A', I decided to exact vengence on my group for dumping all the work on me in a couple of projects.

They had assigned each other to do stuff, and then dumped the hard part on me. I had happily NOT SHOWN UP to the group project presentation. This lead to the C students to become D, and held one student back into the PS-II year now. I kept my A barely.

My advisor didn't do anything to correct the old situation, so I enjoyed it when she told off the group after that disaster.

BTW, JD and AmandaRx, from the looks of it, you already have two groups that will steamroll each other, along with a group whose advisor is notoriously incompetent.

AngryRPH, PM me your group mates. I can't figure out who was whom in that group.