This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigDoe1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about either of these programs. From what it looks like the MA is a lot more research based with classes focusing on that where the MABS has a lot more in class science courses. My goal is to go on to dental school and I feel like I need to improve my GPA a little bit to get into the schools I want to go to. The MABS seems like it is more tailored to people wanting to do this with more classes on science classes and not so much research but I'm unsure of what I could do with this degree if I wasn't accepted into dental school. The MA degree seems like theres a lot more options to with with it after graduating but not really focused on improving GPA for a graduate school

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

usually this type of master is designed to help people get into dental schools.

otherwise, if you want to use masters to work, there are many types of much less expensive thesis-based masters (masters that focus on research and few lecture classes are required) at state or local universities.

therefore, if you decide to come to midwestern for its masters, it is only that you want to use this master to get into dental school. and yes you are right, this is the last joker card in your card deck. if you play it right, you get in. if you dont play it right, you don't get in and is in 30-40k debt.

MABS or so called SMP is the last resort and you should pour all your brain and heart to it to get 3.7-3.8 and you will get into dental school with good DAT

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about either of these programs. From what it looks like the MA is a lot more research based with classes focusing on that where the MABS has a lot more in class science courses. My goal is to go on to dental school and I feel like I need to improve my GPA a little bit to get into the schools I want to go to. The MABS seems like it is more tailored to people wanting to do this with more classes on science classes and not so much research but I'm unsure of what I could do with this degree if I wasn't accepted into dental school. The MA degree seems like theres a lot more options to with with it after graduating but not really focused on improving GPA for a graduate school

Any suggestions?

If your goal is to get into MWU then go, but if not you are going to be in a lot of debt you dont need to be. My thinking is that a regular MS at a school school will suffice. Also with the increased enrollments you may not be a lock on getting in there check out info from other predents on the usefullness of the program. Otherwise, I can assure you there are many MS that charge maybe 10,000 a year at most that work.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to get into MWU then go, but if not you are going to be in a lot of debt you dont need to be. My thinking is that a regular MS at a school school will suffice. Also with the increased enrollments you may not be a lock on getting in there check out info from other predents on the usefullness of the program. Otherwise, I can assure you there are many MS that charge maybe 10,000 a year at most that work.

Do you know of any other MS programs? I'm mainly looking at Midwestern because they have an agreement for interviews and I am from the area.

Do you know of any other MS programs? I'm mainly looking at Midwestern because they have an agreement for interviews and I am from the area.

Which Midwestern are you looking at? If it's Arizona, they are still honoring the interview if you get a 3.0+ GPA in the first 2 quarters. However, the 3.6+GPA guaranteed acceptance is no longer offered by the new Dean of Admissions.

Just because you get an interview, does NOT mean you will be accepted. Many people with low 3.0's got a pity interview and were rejected. You still need a good GPA for the masters program in order to get in even if you are student at MWU.
I am currently a masters student at the Arizona campus so feel free to message me if you have questions.

When I spoke to the phone interviewer, he asked me if I already knew what the articulation agreement was. And I said yes but considering how there's a lot of people saying that it's no longer in place because of the new dean, I expressed my concerns over it. The phone interviewer said that it still stands and that:

With a 3.0 gpa and a DAT standard deviation of 1 for the admitted students, an interview is guaranteed.

With a 3.6 gpa and the same DAT requirements as listed above, admittance to dental school is guaranteed. But you still have to go through the interview basically for standard protocol. You'll get in as long as red flags don't pop up and **** doesn't hit the ceiling.

I mean, that's what I was told. But considering what Teeth4Life said, I'm not really sure what to believe anymore..

Was that for the Il or Az campus?

I can tell you this:
Some students from the master program here at MWU-IL got accepted. However, a lot of them are waitlisted.

That being said..., my suggestion is to save some money and go somewhere cheaper for masters, IF you need to boost your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
When I spoke to the phone interviewer, he asked me if I already knew what the articulation agreement was. And I said yes but considering how there's a lot of people saying that it's no longer in place because of the new dean, I expressed my concerns over it. The phone interviewer said that it still stands and that:

With a 3.0 gpa and a DAT standard deviation of 1 for the admitted students, an interview is guaranteed.

With a 3.6 gpa and the same DAT requirements as listed above, admittance to dental school is guaranteed. But you still have to go through the interview basically for standard protocol. You'll get in as long as red flags don't pop up and **** doesn't hit the ceiling.

I mean, that's what I was told. But considering what Teeth4Life said, I'm not really sure what to believe anymore..

Who told you this and for which campus Arizona or Downers Grove? Im 20 days away from finishing the program and currently have a 3.8 gpa... I was waitlisted and im still hurting. I want to believe this but this program really messed with my head.

Who told you this and for which campus Arizona or Downers Grove? Im 20 days away from finishing the program and currently have a 3.8 gpa... I was waitlisted and im still hurting. I want to believe this but this program really messed with my head.

Wow.. that sounds awful. The program is more expensive than some dental schools, too.
How someone with a 3.8 doesn't get an acceptance makes no sense, especially given how they advertise it.
When I got rejected from Midwestern, I immediately got an email to sign up for the MA. I can't believe I was about to enter the program this fall..

Wow.. that sounds awful. The program is more expensive than some dental schools, too.
How someone with a 3.8 doesn't get an acceptance makes no sense, especially given how they advertise it.
When I got rejected from Midwestern, I immediately got an email to sign up for the MA. I can't believe I was about to enter the program this fall..

That's what I'm saying.. Since then everyday has been a struggle for me. And this program isn't easy. I put my heart and soul into it.

I'm not the only one though. There are others that have done just as well as I did and got waitlisted. And then some with low stats that got in. Doesn't make sense but I'm trying to hold on to some hope

Im also in the az midwestern MA program right now and I wouldn't suggest doing it if you're planning on going to their dental school. The new dean doesn't favor the master students like the old dean. I also heard that he is voiding the agreement between the masters and dental school. I would do a SMP else where.

Last edited:
Im also in the az midwestern MA program right now and I wouldn't suggest doing it if you're planning on going to their dental school.

MWU CDMA is amazing. Im still bummed about getting waitlisted there too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would suggest anyone who wants to go to dental school here to do the 2 year masters program. I have spoken to the dean and he prefers the 2 year MBS. Course load is easier then the 1 year MA and you'll get research under your belt. Any classes that you didn't do well the first year, you could retake the second year. If applying the first year didn't work out then you have a second year in the MBS to fall back on. Enter this program at your own risk, but know it isn't easy and that the course load is heavy. Winter quarter in the MA program there were 2-3 exams a week.

Personally I would suggest anyone who wants to go to dental school here to do the 2 year masters program. I have spoken to the dean and he prefers the 2 year MBS. Course load is easier then the 1 year MA and you'll get research under your belt. Any classes that you didn't do well the first year, you could retake the second year. If applying the first year didn't work out then you have a second year in the MBS to fall back on. Enter this program at your own risk, but know it isn't easy and that the course load is heavy. Winter quarter in the MA program there were 2-3 exams a week.

Last edited:

What was your DAT score if you dont mind me asking? Did you make the cut off for their DAT requirement? Im just trying to think of a reason why they would waitlist you if you had all the requirements they asked for.

Last edited:
What was your DAT score if you dont mind me asking? Did you make the cut off for their DAT requirement? Im just trying to think of a reason why they would waitlist you if you had all the requirements they asked for.

simple, out of 144 dental seats, they only reserve 20 seats -30 seats for the masters program, their masters programs combined have like 60-70 students. so Half don't get in their SMP's affiliated dental program

so you can't buy your way into dental school.

I scored above the requirements

I'm not trying to buy my way into dental school. I have a lousy undergrad gpa. I did this program to be a more competitive applicant.. Now I'm going onto my 4th application cycle

I'm not trying to buy my way into dental school. I have a lousy undergrad gpa. I did this program to be a more competitive applicant.. Now I'm going onto my 4th application cycle

sorry that my quote "buy way into dental school" may be taken as an offense. what I mean is that the SMP programs don't guarantee seats in dental school when students enroll in their programs as a way to ensure the quality of the students. Somehow you say students with lower SMP GPA get accepted, do these students have higher undergrad GPA but below average accepted dental students' GPA (ex: 3.4-3.5)? or do they have postbach classes with high GPA as well (3.8)? then an okay performance on SMP may be all they need for dental school admission since they prove stability and durability for science courses.

do you apply to other dental programs than your SMP's affiliated dental program? I heard sometimes students who do SMP at a program dont get into that SMP's affiliated dental program but d0 get in somewhere else.

dental schools, as you know, accept students far above the cut-off and minimum requirements in a multi facet review process. so just meeting cut off DAT and above GPA for interview guarantee in SMP program does not mean anything

To be honest all they only took 8 people from our MA class. There are around 30+ predentals in this MA program and they only took 8 so to say that they save seats is a complete lie. I did meet with the dean and he did say the agreement is voided.

To be honest all they only took 8 people from our MA class. There are around 30+ predentals in this MA program and they only took 8 so to say that they save seats is a complete lie. I did meet with the dean and he did say the agreement is voided.

they did save seats, hence those 8 people got in. but not saving seat in a way that they guarantee seats to whoever meet the requirements

No, they didn't really save seats compared to the amount of people who got in last year. Its really random this year...last year 20+ students from the MA got into the dental school. This year with the new dean change he's not honoring the system cause he doesn't really care about the master students. There are people in the program who have above the stats and didn't even get looked at. Some out of those 8 are below the stats who got interviewed and got in. Also there are some who are waitlisted after the interview with high stats. No one knows whats going on and the biomed department doesn't know either.

No, they didn't really save seats compared to the amount of people who got in last year. Its really random this year...last year 20+ students from the MA got into the dental school. This year with the new dean change he's not honoring the system cause he doesn't really care about the master students. There are people in the program who have above the stats and didn't even get looked at. Some out of those 8 are below the stats who got interviewed and got in. Also there are some who are waitlisted after the interview with high stats. No one knows whats going on and the biomed department doesn't know either.
Same as here in Illinois

I called today and Professor Bell, the program director, said that the articulation agreement is definitely still in place. I even have a voicemail recording confirming it so idk. I think the new dean came in last year (?) so maybe he voided it then and then brought it back for this year? Idk. But my interviewer said it's still in place and I just got a reconfirmation so I think I'm going to stick it out and see for myself. I'm terribly sorry for dental4life and dent2B though. I wish you guys all the best!!
Even though he says its still in place its really up to the dental school. So call the dean of the dental school before wasting your money here. There are 30+ dental students in my MA program who are just sitting around wether you believe it or not. I don't want you to waste your money on a program that won't help you. There are better SMPs out there.

Even though he says its still in place its really up to the dental school. So call the dean of the dental school before wasting your money here. There are 30+ dental students in my MA program who are just sitting around wether you believe it or not. I don't want you to waste your money on a program that won't help you. There are better SMPs out there.

Is this for both the IL and AZ program? or is it mainly the AZ program that the dean is not too keen on offering MA students acceptance? Also did you guys not apply to other dental schools? The program didnt help with your chances of applying to other dental schools at all?

Last edited:
I've heard mixed reviews about Midwestern's SMP/masters. I've read a fair amount of students on these forums report that they performed poorly in it and shot their chances of getting into dental school down the drain. I don't have the threads on hand, but I'm sure if you search you'll be able to find them. I've also heard of students doing quite well and guaranteeing themselves an interview. So it seems like a mixed bag.

Hey guys, I did the MA program this year and will be a D1 at MWU AZ in the fall. I know there seems to be a lot of confusion about the programs linkage to the dental school so my suggestion is if you are worried about your stats (DAT, how well you need to do in the MA, etc.) I would try to talk directly to admissions at the dental school, not for the MA program. They have been very upfront and blunt with the students as far as what their chances of getting in are and if they consider you a good candidate for their program, just show them you are serious about what you need to do to get into their program. Also, I would warn everyone not to go in thinking they will be guaranteed a seat, you will need to do very well, not only in the program, but also on your DAT and every other aspect of your application (interview, volunteering, etc.) it seems that the new dean expects the MAs to be just as competitive as any other student he accepts and he seems to have extremely high standards so just be warned that you'll still be expected to earn that seat like anyone else that didn't do the program. Also, don't put all your eggs in one basket, apply to many schools and apply early, let them know you're doing the MA program at MWU, and update them when grades come out in Nov. From my experience, just enrolling in the program (before the schools saw any grades from the MA) got me interviews and showed schools I was serious. Basically, just go in knowing you aren't guaranteed anything really (remember even if you meet the stats for the guarantee, which may or may not be honored, it also states you must preform excellent in the interview so they always have an opportunity to not take you if they don't want to!) feel free to PM me or reply if you have any concerns or questions that I may be able to help with!

Reactions: 2 users
Do you mind if I ask for your stats were? And between the two ma and mbs programs, which would you consider more beneficial?

I had a 3.98 in MA (one A-) around a 3.3 undergrad (bad freshman year, oops) and a 22AA, 22PAT, 24TS

In my opinion, I think the MA will prepare you better because you are taking the full course load of science classes as you would be in dental school, where as in the MBS you are taking fewer classes at a time to allow for research. Also, I personally have an extremely hard time justifying the cost (money AND time) of the 2 year program when dental school is already such a huge investment unless you really feel like you need an extra year to prove yourself. But if you are willing to do the 2 year program, you probably have a better shot at getting into midwestern, but you're doing that extra year to ensure a spot and even then its not a guarantee. You can also do the 2 year route and apply this cycle and hope to get in and not finish the 2nd year, which is possible but probably isn't looked too favorably on by the faculty but its been done. I'd say it's really a case by case basis, if your stats are pretty low and you really need the extra time and extra security of the 2 year that may be a good choice but if you're already a decent candidate for dental school or you feel confident you will succeed in the 1 year, I would do the MA. Again, this is totally my opinion and maybe an MBS student has a different take!

Also- my stats were good but don't think that if you don't get all As you are doomed or anything, some people got in with not so great stats, just give it your all and show the schools (don't only rely on MWU) you are determined and serious about getting in and things will work out! I think if you can get some insight from Dr. Pashayan about what he wants to see from you (whether it be retaking DAT, doing more shadowing, getting a certain GPA, doing the MBS over MA, etc.) that would be extremely helpful and put you on the right path if you are unsure and want some guidance

Last edited:
Make sure to ask the stats from the 2015-2016 MA class, how may students they started with in August 2015 and how many graduated in May 2016 and of those that graduated, how many were accepted into professional school. I think the numbers are shocking and embarrassing for the biomed department at the the AZ campus. I wish I would've known all of my facts and numbers before I paid them a dime.
If you do decide to go ahead with the program and try for the the magical unicorn contract with the dental school that doesn't actually exist, make sure you choose your advisor, if they are not helping you in the first month then switch because thats what you are paying them for.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me...I really messed up and I accidentally applied to the MBS (2 year program) instead of the MABS program. I wanted to do a post bacc to get into med school after. Does anyone have an advice for me? Do you know if there is a way I could be considered for MABS?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me...I really messed up and I accidentally applied to the MBS (2 year program) instead of the MABS program. I wanted to do a post bacc to get into med school after. Does anyone have an advice for me? Do you know if there is a way I could be considered for MABS?

Contact the school and ask them to change that for you.

hi guys, I'm confused. what two year program are you guys talking about? I am currently applying to their post bacc program (MABS) and it's only 9 months long. Another question is that if the program is only 9 months long, that means that I have to apply this summer (im graduating from undergraduate school this May), but if I apply this summer before even going to MWU's program, then wouldn't the dental school look at my undergraduate stat? then what's the point of the program? on the website of the 9 month MABS program, it says "Three (3) students (2%) did not complete the Master of Arts program, but were accepted into professional schools prior to graduation". for these three students to get accepted to professional schools prior to graduation, it means they applied the summer before the program started, then what's the point of doing the program?

I guess my question is, if i want to do this program, when should I take the DAT and apply because right now I feel like the only way I can start dental school after the program ends is to apply a year before... which means the summer before the program starts...

Which Midwestern are you looking at? If it's Arizona, they are still honoring the interview if you get a 3.0+ GPA in the first 2 quarters. However, the 3.6+GPA guaranteed acceptance is no longer offered by the new Dean of Admissions.

Just because you get an interview, does NOT mean you will be accepted. Many people with low 3.0's got a pity interview and were rejected. You still need a good GPA for the masters program in order to get in even if you are student at MWU.
I am currently a masters student at the Arizona campus so feel free to message me if you have questions.
Can I message you?