Midwestern - Post Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for following up on this for us.

Members don't see this ad.

can u check why the admissions office isn't answering emails. i sent one on wednesday and haven't heard back yet. last time i sent an email, they replied really quick.

i need to know if i need to retake physio(short 1.3 units) and biochem(short .3 units) so i would want it in writing if they say i don't need to take these classes.

i talked to heather kim on wednesday morning before the adcom met and she had 177 emails to get through on top of sitting in with the adcom for hours (which only got through half of the files that need decisions)
i'll see if she can make up some ground this week, but good for you getting it in writing. smart play. there are lots of little exceptions they can make where people are a bit short in credits so you'll probly be OK.
on a side note, if you guys can take a REALLY LEGIT anatomy course, it'll save the day for you. i took a good anatomy course my last semester of undergrad before dschool and it has made my life way easier. a tough undergrad anatomy course can make dschool anatomy look like baby einstein anatomy, freeing you up to focus on other things.

Members don't see this ad :)
no wonder...thanks oracle for the info. i guess i'll wait a couple more days. and yea i'm taking anatomy with lab right now. it's required for mwu anyway. i'm taking it at a cc though so i don't think it's as "legit" as a university one.

dont short sell CC's! there are plenty of CC's with tougher classes than universities. some of my classmates took cheesy anatomy just for the requirement (one guy didnt even have a lab for the anatomy! just lecture!) and they all regret it now... thats all i was sayn. if your CC has cadavers and it requires no less than 5 hours of studying for the tests...it's legit.

Called today. I'm on the alternate list as well.

its hard to believe there are only 100 on the alternate list.........:confused:

its hard to believe there are only 100 on the alternate list.........:confused:

I asked her if there was 100 spots and she mentioned last year they had more..around 200? Let's hope we can make it off that list.

Being on that list is a good thing. Don't give up hope, you could get a call the evening before school starts. You never know ;)

I wish I could find what MY status was!
When I called Friday, I was told no decision had been made...

Would it be horrible of me to call again? They don't make phone calls to those who got on the alternate list right? So I'd have to wait for snail mail?

Did anyone find out they were on the alternate list WITHOUT calling the school?

I did via snail mail.

I wish I could find what MY status was!
When I called Friday, I was told no decision had been made...

Would it be horrible of me to call again? They don't make phone calls to those who got on the alternate list right? So I'd have to wait for snail mail?

Did anyone find out they were on the alternate list WITHOUT calling the school?

i have a meeting with heather kim in the morning to see what the timetable is for adcom do finish the other half of their file list. any other dirt y'all wanna know? post it here tonight and i'll do my best!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a meeting with heather kim in the morning to see what the timetable is for adcom do finish the other half of their file list. any other dirt y'all wanna know? post it here tonight and i'll do my best!

Oracle, your the man!

Heather told me the alternate list was unranked and that they re-evaluate the list when the time comes. But I'm curious to know how they make the decision. Were we given score based on how well we interviewed?

I interviewed back in September, chances are slim that they will remember me. How can I refresh their memory w/o visiting?

Oracle, your the man!

Heather told me the alternate list was unranked and that they re-evaluate the list when the time comes. But I'm curious to know how they make the decision. Were we given score based on how well we interviewed?

I interviewed back in September, chances are slim that they will remember me. How can I refresh their memory w/o visiting?

call, email, visit. if you're not in by may, then attend our pre-dental clinic and schmooze like crazy.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting accepted recently?

I just want to know how the rest of the admission process is going to happen at MWU. How many seats are left, how many are on the alternate list, and what I can do to get in! I love this school!

the update post:

so there are now 77 deposits. they did go over a 100 alternate spots by a bit, but everyday there are people coming off the alternate list because they got in somewhere else and aren't tryin to stay an alternate. there is no rank to the waitlist, but there are nonspecific groupings by interest. so you can increase the interest that MWU has for you by updating heather kim. caution: do not call unless you have an actual update or question. don't call if you got an A in geology, or spanish, or communcations, or american history, or underwater basket weaving. call if you attended a pre-dent sim course, or are doing well in OChem or other hard science course. call for any question that cannot be answered online. visit the campus with your pre-dental club, get involved w/ the university.
all decisions on files for people who haven't heard anything since the interview have now been made and are awaiting final approval from the dean so you should get a letter soon or you can call on friday for an update. from this point forward, all interview decisions will be made the week of the interview and will most likely be in or out, as the alternate list is, for the most part, full. hope this helps guys! let me know if you get some good news and hopefully i'll see most of you in the fall!

the update post:

so there are now 77 deposits. they did go over a 100 alternate spots by a bit, but everyday there are people coming off the alternate list because they got in somewhere else and aren't tryin to stay an alternate. there is no rank to the waitlist, but there are nonspecific groupings by interest. so you can increase the interest that MWU has for you by updating heather kim. caution: do not call unless you have an actual update or question. don't call if you got an A in geology, or spanish, or communcations, or american history, or underwater basket weaving. call if you attended a pre-dent sim course, or are doing well in OChem or other hard science course. call for any question that cannot be answered online. visit the campus with your pre-dental club, get involved w/ the university.
all decisions on files for people who haven't heard anything since the interview have now been made and are awaiting final approval from the dean so you should get a letter soon or you can call on friday for an update. from this point forward, all interview decisions will be made the week of the interview and will most likely be in or out, as the alternate list is, for the most part, full. hope this helps guys! let me know if you get some good news and hopefully i'll see most of you in the fall!
Oracle,

What do you mean when you say "non-specific groupings by interest"? Do you mean the interest we have in Midwestern or the interest Midwestern has in us?

is the class size 110? I remember during the interview they told us that the 1st class size is 111. On the MWU website it states that the class size is 100.

the update post:

The class is 110 but last year they took one extra because they couldn't get a hold of someone. I called and they told me that we all have numbers associated with our application, so many points for GPA, LOE, Interview etc and that once they have interviewed everyone they will play around with the people on the alternate list's numbers to see who they will offer a place to, (ex. they may want certain people with high interview and extracurriculars or others with high GPA/DAT) and they will make their list that way. Should hear back around mid to end of March.

they're taking 110. you are grouped by the interest that they have in you with a compilation of scores for stats, experience, personal statement, and interview. the details on how they score and on what scale is information they don't want to divulge. i was told that the interview is up to 1/3rd of your total score. weird/ arrogant pre-dents need not apply. haha you can (as in it's possible, not garunteed) move up in "the standings...if you will" with interesting updates, visits, calls, etc. hope this helps guys!

As of Feb 11th, I was told by the admission committee that 77 seats had been filled, out of 110 seats.

call, email, visit. if you're not in by may, then attend our pre-dental clinic and schmooze like crazy.

Hi Oracle - I definitely appreciate you relaying all this helpful info to us in hopes of putting us a little more at ease. U DA BOMB!:D I think Miss Heather may receive a lot of calls on Friday to find out their status. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!! :luck:

whoa, I hope I did good on my interview.... definately felt good to me...

Does anyone know, have they sent out a second round of acceptances? I have only heard of one guy on sdn being accepted, everyone else just waitlisted... and according to oracle some people denied...

anyone got any info?

NOPE...interviewed with dr. polk last week, and thought it went awesome. Called last Friday and was told they haven't made a decision on any interviews that week. Friday will be D-DAY.....right before V-DAY..teehee

i mean since the first batch of acceptaces in december. I interviewed mid january, was curious if anyone has been accepted besides that one guy since then...

anyone know?

i mean since the first batch of acceptaces in december. I interviewed mid january, was curious if anyone has been accepted besides that one guy since then...

anyone know?

I know of two females that have received acceptances that had January interviews. The one female was from my interview group.

the update post:

I just got an A in my Anatomy Course with lab, as well as Physiology. Is this something I can call and update them with? I am an alternate now. Thanks for the help!

the best gift for Valentines Day this year would be accepted to Midwestern:D:p

I am an intl stud and alternate as well at MWU.
I was going through this financial packet for intl stud that I received at my interview and found out something that scared me.

"We will no longer be accepting private loans as proof of funding for issuance of the f-1 visa. Effective immediately, all accepted matriculants need to provide proof through a US bank statement that they have all four years of funding(Dental:$350,503) in a US Bank account. "

Yeah I know I should've looked into this earlier more carefully. But I was going to start looking for a private loan after I get the official acceptance letter. If there are any poor intl stud sdners who doesn't have a rich us citizen/perm resident sponsor like me, I thought you might need to consider this carefully.

If I'm spreading wrong info, pls correct me. (I hope I'm wrong too)

i'd call the financial aid office for this. i don't think you're reading it right or something. we have like 15 or so international students and they all have the same loans that i do. i'll talk to a couple and see whats up, but i'd call and get clarification anyways. forums are a bad place to get finacial info. getting in is the hard part....after that it's smooth sailing, MWU will help get you the money that they need! haha for sure. no worries man!

So I'm going to the Admissions office tomorrow to drop off my unofficial transcripts while they wait on the updated official ones to arrive. I figure I would stop by to show my face. Should I do anything else like drop off a letter of intent or maybe see if I can speak with the dean. I don't want to seem too desperate or annoying but at the same time I really want to go here.

So I'm going to the Admissions office tomorrow to drop off my unofficial transcripts while they wait on the updated official ones to arrive. I figure I would stop by to show my face. Should I do anything else like drop off a letter of intent or maybe see if I can speak with the dean. I don't want to seem too desperate or annoying but at the same time I really want to go here.

I don't really have an answer for the letter of intent, but our Dean is not here this week.

i'd make sure to dress professionally, and i think the letter of intent would be fine. don't make it too long, short and succinct, but i think it would go over well. when you walk into the admissions office (where you interviewed)i'd ask to speak with heather kim, andif you get a sit sown, just be honest. Let her know you wanted to make an appearence, drop off a some updates, and thank them for the opportunity. since you're there, take the time to ask 5 questions. make 'em good. clinic? faculty- any additions or subtractions in the works? research at MWU? get creative and make them good. if she doesn't know, maybe she'll send you to a dental faculty and you'll get a an excellent schmoozing day. meet a dental faculty, and repeat explaination of why you're there and why you wanna be there. (an emphasis on how much the students love the faculty would prolly go over well!) good luck!

SO......anyone hear anything yet???? I'm dying here...

I just called....I'm an alternate. AAAAHHHH!!!

I spoke to admissions today, Jenny specifically, and she stated that they (adcoms) have not really made any moves yet with regard to new admisions. She stated that the adcoms will be interviewing until the end of March and then they will start to fill the vacancies.

She also eluded to the number of deposits that have been received so far: 88.

I inquired as to the potential of more spots opening as people drop off due to acceptances elsewhere and she said that it is true that will happen and that last year they took between 30-40 off the waitlist but she could not predict the number for this year.

Man, this thread brings back horrible memories. Waiting for a decision to be made is the worst. Like the Oracle bomb said, it's good to be on the alt list right now, I think they may just wait till the last interview and then start offering acceptances. Like I mentioned earlier, you may get a call anytime up to the first day of class, this happened last year. Alternate=good standing right now.

I spoke to admissions today, Jenny specifically, and she stated that they (adcoms) have not really made any moves yet with regard to new admisions. She stated that the adcoms will be interviewing until the end of March and then they will start to fill the vacancies.

She also eluded to the number of deposits that have been received so far: 88.

I inquired as to the potential of more spots opening as people drop off due to acceptances elsewhere and she said that it is true that will happen and that last year they took between 30-40 off the waitlist but she could not predict the number for this year.

Do the 88 deposits include the candidates that have deposited and have withdrawn already and lost their deposit? It seems that the schools aim is to reach its 110 class size by the end of the spring interviews if it only includes in the 88 deposits the people that have not withdrawn yet. Where does that leave the people that are on the alternate list? How do they plan on filling spots with alternates if 30 or 40 seats are held specifically for alternates when the class is full?

Do the 88 deposits include the candidates that have deposited and have withdrawn already and lost their deposit? It seems that the schools aim is to reach its 110 class size by the end of the spring interviews if it only includes in the 88 deposits the people that have not withdrawn yet. Where does that leave the people that are on the alternate list? How do they plan on filling spots with alternates if 30 or 40 seats are held specifically for alternates when the class is full?

30-40 seats are not specifically held for alternates. There are no seats "reserved" for alternates. The 30-40 number is the people that got off the waitlist last year, which that # is up in the air this year.

I think they are basically going to fill up majority of the remaining spots with the Spring interviews, which should be plenty of people.

Alternates will be taken off the waitlist when the people that got accepted choose to go somewhere else.

So any pre-december interviewees wont here anything back till all the interviews are done in March. People that are interviewing now, your either waitlisted, declined, or accepted. Once all the interviews are done, then as the class list moves, the alternate list will move.

So like everyone was saying, just hang in there you guys!!

30-40 seats are not specifically held for alternates. There are no seats "reserved" for alternates. The 30-40 number is the people that got off the waitlist last year, which that # is up in the air this year.

I think they are basically going to fill up majority of the remaining spots with the Spring interviews, which should be plenty of people.

Alternates will be taken off the waitlist when the people that got accepted choose to go somewhere else.

So any pre-december interviewees wont here anything back till all the interviews are done in March. People that are interviewing now, your either waitlisted, declined, or accepted. Once all the interviews are done, then as the class list moves, the alternate list will move.

So like everyone was saying, just hang in there you guys!!

not entirely true. there are no "reserved" seats for alternates, that's true. but i can't picture a scenario where the last 30 or so seats go to the last 80 interviewees. not even close. MWU is not like other schools who have a plan to fill up the class by december 1 or march 15. MWU does hold seats for spring interviews, and we took a little more alternates this year due to the quality of applicant, they derserved another look and there are enough alternates not to worry about filling up the class. if you get in, it doesn't matter when you were accepted or what list you came off of to get there. but you're right for the most part, it is likely that people will start getting calls after march 15th, at the end of the app cycle.

I received an acceptance call from Dr. Zais on Wednesday (Feb. 11th). I interviewed on the 4th.

I hope this doesn't sound too insensitive, but I'm having a hard time choosing where to go. I joined this site to gather more information, so hopefully I'll be able to find something that will help sway my decision one way or the other.

congrats! i'd like to help you but i need more info about where you're coming from... where do you live? where else did you get in? do you have a family? are you leaning one way or the other? MWU is an awesome place to be but you could be happy at a bunch of places so it really depends.

I'm torn between Tufts and Midwestern. I live in upstate NY, but geographical location is less important to me than the differences in the curricula and environments, among other things.

While I was at Midwestern, I got the impression that the professors really want every one of their students to get through the program and are willing to work with them, especially on the pre-clinical stuff. The technology was impressive there as well. I'm wondering how of much of their own labwork the students will have to do once they hit the clinic. I know it hasn't been built yet, but I think I remember someone mentioning that most of it gets sent out. That's an important factor for me since a graduate of Tufts (although it was back in the early 80s...) mentioned to me that she had to do all her own labwork for clinic and it was pretty insane considering she had already done a ton of it for pre-clinical, and labwork usually isn't a big factor in an actual practice.

The systems-based cirriculum is really interesting and sounds like a great way to do things. I'm curious, though, as to how the inaugural class will handle part 1 of the boards.

Tufts seemed a lot more traditional in terms of their curriculum and sink or swim mentality, but it's a proven program and the students score higher than average on both board exams.

we will send out our lab work, unless we want to use our ceracs in which case (from what it sounds like) we'll have the option. another great thing is that we have no specialty programs, but all specialties are represented at our clinic. so lets say you come across an endo case that really needs to be reffed out. you just walk your patient over to our endodotist, who you will either assist with, or he will guide you through the procedure. what's important is the experience you gain, and that your patient is yours from start to finish. also, chair time is not an issue here like it is at other schools. your 3rd year you share a chair w/ a buddy and your 4th year you have your own chair. this eliminates schedueling problems which is a big deal at other schools.

it's true, our faculty are awesome, and are more like mentors than teachers. we interact w/ the entire dental school faculty on a regular basis, and all of the faculty know each student by name and a bit about them. MWU is a really personable place to be. though we are not surrounded by 100 years of tradition, we are flexible an modern in our approach to dentistry.

this is also the home of evidence based dentistry. the dean has made it clear that we will follow the evidence of reliable (as much as possible) studies when deling w/ Tx. We are scientists, doctors, and artists, all at the same time. i don't know if you've had a bunch of clinical experience as an assistant or whatnot, but if you have i'd bet you would agree that many dentists have been doing the same dentistry for 30 years regardless of newer and better techniques because of the "what worked then, works now" attitude. (and i'm not implying that all techniques 30 yrs old are obsolete)

the same goes with dental education. what worked well 100 years ago, might work today, but there are better ways to do it. At MWU, we have a very high quality of life, which i really enjoy. there is no extra certification for degree of difficulty in obtaining a DMD. haha we have a tight knit group here that really enjoys being here and i think you'd really enjoy your time here.

another thing to consider is where you wanna practice. if you want to practice in the northeast, i'd consider staying up that way so you're gearing up to take the NERB instead of the WREB. also, boston is a cool place to be compared to suburban PHX. it's nice here but boston is boston. i guess you're in driving distance to san diego, LA, and Vegas, as a consilation prize haha. anyways this is crazy long so i hope it helps!

Thanks for your time and effort Oracle. Very useful information. It makes my decision tougher though, haha. Everytime I try to lean Tufts, I hear great things about MWU and I'm back at square one.

I guess I still have a lot more research to do and arguments to solve.

For one, I graduated undergrad 3 years ago, and now I'm finding out that MWU wants 6 credits of English Composition. The only EC course my school offered was 4 credits, but I've taken plenty of other writing-intensive courses (including english, sociology, and psychology). I'm going to try and call admissions on Monday and see what they say. I think it would be a bit ridiculous if they made me go and spend $1000 more just to get two credits based solely on a course name technicality.

Other than that, I want to make sure that I can get on-campus housing. It'll be no problem at Tufts because they send out housing contracts to everyone at the same time. MWU still has some more studio spots, but the longer I wait, the less of a chance I have.

Go to Tufts.... they have an established program. Midwestern has no clinical experience and who knows how the first couple years will be. I am not against new schools, I might be going to WesternU, but I know that tufts has a proven track record. Stick with something that is working.

austinsanity, you should talk to a few ASDOH graduates. They do module based learning, basically the same thing as system based. I've met several people who have attended ASDOH and have specialized in ortho, pediatric, etc. I also believe Michigan does, too. It would be an efficient method for me since it interlinks all the subject matter into one module.

One thing I was extremely impressed with was how the dean and several faculty spent lunch with me and several other interviewers. Dean S. answers emails. It speaks about the quality and how personal one's education will be.

Im still awaiting news from MWU :D

Go to Tufts.... they have an established program. Midwestern has no clinical experience and who knows how the first couple years will be. I am not against new schools, I might be going to WesternU, but I know that tufts has a proven track record. Stick with something that is working.

Why would you turn down USC and ASDOH? Is someone waiting on a spot at Midwestern (Interviewed in Sept 9). :laugh::laugh::laugh: