Midwestern, racist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hersheyslove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i will be going to MW this year, it seems to me that their first class is not as diverse as i hope. 85% are white.Yet at the same time, D1 students are like "oh our class are really diverse, from different walk of life,". Well, checking on my friends this application cycle: One hispanic, 2 white, one Indian, the 2 white guys got accepted and the minority got waitlist even they have the same stats.

So is it true that MIdwestern loves white people, 'cause it is a waste to go there.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools are pretty diverse. I wouldn't go out and say that midwestern is racist but they definitely have the majority of their students as Caucasian.

One observation I noted was that they tend to favor prior service military people.

"Different walks of life" doesn't necessarily refer to race. All white people don't come from Beverly Hills. And stats are only part of what the Adcoms look at, you didn't mention anything about EC's, when they applied, how well they can express themselves in the interview, etc. You're painting with a very broad brush by calling them racist on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the percentage of minorities/whites that are graduating college. I'm willing to bet you that the percentage of minorities/white in DS is higher; if so, this would be reverse discrimination (quota, so ppl like you don't call them racist). There are alot of factors that may have contributed to the minorities getting waitlisted. Quit pulling the race card.

i would take back the word "racist" but i got an interview there and from what i observe, most of them are indeed Caucasian. If you got an interview at UCLA or UCSF, you will see that the schools in California loves minority!

Just because they are white doesn't mean they aren't diverse...jackass

I am applying from Wyoming. I am a white male, and so far all I have seen is reverse discrimination. There are about 15 people every year who apply from the University of Wyoming, so I know most of them. For the most part the ones that are getting in are the minorities and women. Even though I have higher test scores and gpa. Now going into the medical profession I would hope to have the highest qualified people, I wouldn't care about their color/age/gender, i would want the best. ps I have been waitlisted at Midwestern (white male)

"Different walks of life" doesn't necessarily refer to race. All white people don't come from Beverly Hills. And stats are only part of what the Adcoms look at, you didn't mention anything about EC's, when they applied, how well they can express themselves in the interview, etc. You're painting with a very broad brush by calling them racist on that.

Well.. it's good to see that Midwestern accepts all different varieties of caucasians. It's great to have a diverse melting pot of white people.

At least half of the people from my interview were non-Caucasian. Using an example with 4 people when there are thousands of applicants is ridiculous.

At least half of the people from my interview were non-Caucasian. Using an example with 4 people when there are thousands of applicants is ridiculous.

yea, i am ridiculous and i will be attending MW this year. I only point this out since i saw their class profile and 85% or more than that are white!

I am white just in case!

I am applying from Wyoming. I am a white male, and so far all I have seen is reverse discrimination. There are about 15 people every year who apply from the University of Wyoming, so I know most of them. For the most part the ones that are getting in are the minorities and women. Even though I have higher test scores and gpa. Now going into the medical profession I would hope to have the highest qualified people, I wouldn't care about their color/age/gender, i would want the best. ps I have been waitlisted at Midwestern (white male)

I dont think that woman got preferential treatment because I think they make up at least half of the applicant pool. (Could be wrong) but again I dont think they schools look at gender other than to have a balanced class.

If you get a small enough sample size you can skew statistics to mean whatever you want... Be careful throwing out these accusations.

Last edited:
At least half of the people from my interview were non-Caucasian.

So if you are right and 50% of interviewees were minorities, and the OP is right and 85% of the class is white, than hmmm... is there a problem with the admissions process at Midwestern? hmmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
Over half of all of the D1's from 2006 (2736 / 4599) were white, and that makes sense because there were significantly more white applicants than any other ethnicity (6835 white compared to the next highest, 2704 Asian - 937 Asians being accepted, and then 679 Latino/Hispanic with 286 enrolling, then 704 African with 284 enrolling). There is a clear trend of about a third of every applicant group being accepted, so it would make sense that in a country that is majority white, a good chunk of the applicants, and thus the dental students would be white.

For the most part the ones that are getting in are the minorities and women.

I'm not sure where you got that statistic. Doc toothache can pull out the chart, and you'll see that is clearly not the case. Relative to other groups, the largest percentage of dental students are white males.

i will be going to MW this year, it seems to me that their first class is not as diverse as i hope. 85% are white.Yet at the same time, D1 students are like "oh our class are really diverse, from different walk of life,". Well, checking on my friends this application cycle: One hispanic, 2 white, one Indian, the 2 white guys got accepted and the minority got waitlist even they have the same stats.

So is it true that MIdwestern loves white people, 'cause it is a waste to go there.

Oh the race card.

i wouldn't say mw is racist. i agree that 80% of the class is white, probably it will be like this every year. but there's a lot of factors, one of the biggest reason i think is location. AZ is saturated by white ppl. also, i bet many azns did get accepted to mwu but they chose to go to other d-schools bcuz mw is new or wutever. if u go to any CA dental school, it's saturated with azns. i do wish there were more azns at mw though, but i'm not complaining. i came from uci, where it's 80% azns. ppl even developed the name University of Chinese Immigrants, so it'd be nice for a change to see other races haha.

OP,

What's NYU?

lol whatever!

Being that Az is very white saturated, it makes sense for the students there to be mostly white. I can almost guarantee that the "azn's" or other races attending MWU had only 1 acceptance and that was where they ended up.

i wouldn't say mw is racist. i agree that 80% of the class is white, probably it will be like this every year. but there's a lot of factors, one of the biggest reason i think is location. AZ is saturated by white ppl. also, i bet many azns did get accepted to mwu but they chose to go to other d-schools bcuz mw is new or wutever. if u go to any CA dental school, it's saturated with azns. i do wish there were more azns at mw though, but i'm not complaining. i came from uci, where it's 80% azns. ppl even developed the name University of Chinese Immigrants, so it'd be nice for a change to see other races haha.

You know, I'm an anteater too, and I was under the assumption that it was 80% Asian too, but I just found out it's only 54% Asian. And UCI also stands for Under Construction, Indefinitely. ;p

According to some demographic information I found on the United States from 2007, the country's population is about 80% white. It seems like Midwestern's demographics are proportional to the general population whereas minorities are over-represented at other schools.

According to some demographic information I found on the United States from 2007, the country's population is about 80% white. It seems like Midwestern's demographics are proportional to the general population whereas minorities are over-represented at other schools.

I agree.

Calling a schools "racist" is a bit extreme when they have 15% non-white students. Maybe other races don't apply there as much for one thing, but also...they are called a "minority" for a reason.

You know, I'm an anteater too, and I was under the assumption that it was 80% Asian too, but I just found out it's only 54% Asian. And UCI also stands for Under Construction, Indefinitely. ;p

still seems like 80% to me..oh and i knew about that one too...

I was thinking the same thing. Bad generalization to make. Too closed minded.

The race card thing is getting pretty flimsy these days. Ill be going there next year to, and if all your gonna do is bich please... just stay at home.

btw, where are you from to think like this?

Last edited:
DDS19841984,
i liked your other response better haha...why'd u have to go and edit it?

I'm curious, why are you going there if you feel this way?

Most schools are pretty diverse. I wouldn't go out and say that midwestern is racist but they definitely have the majority of their students as Caucasian.

One observation I noted was that they tend to favor prior service military people.

I noticed the same. The reason is the dean of admission's SON is in the airforce. Fk him

Our class is quite diverse; if you were in it you could tell. Plus, our dean is very open-minded and unbiased.

If you are indeed joining us later this year, you have a whole lot more to worry about than class ethnicity percentages. You would be wise to use your apparent extra time and energy on practicing waxing or studying Pathology! Get ready, cause it's coming.

just to be clear... dr. simonsen is married to an asian woman, dr. zais who is a BIG part of admissions was raised in china, another is armenian (sorry if i misspelled that), and a couple are women. if you're going to MWU next year, why post such an inflammatory and unfounded thread about the school? personally i'm offended by your notion and i'd wouldn't be surprised if dr. s wants to have a sit down to talk about your representation of our school. i sit at a lab bench of 10 student doctors of which 4 are white men, 3 are women and 3 speak fluent korean. i can't stand their filthy pig latin but i got rosetta stone so it's on suckas!

man i really hate everyone in the midwest because they're all dumb hicks who wear straw hats and say dumb things like golly gee and ah shucks and they all look alike too which i really hate as well ps the midwest smells bad too i think it's because there are more cows there than people i don't know if they ever built a real city there you know because they're so dumb and inbred man i really hate that i also hate how they generalize all the time about other people good thing i come from an enlightened, civilized part of the country hey do you guys in the midwest have electricity or running water yet

man i really hate everyone in the midwest because they're all dumb hicks who wear straw hats and say dumb things like golly gee and ah shucks and they all look alike too which i really hate as well ps the midwest smells bad too i think it's because there are more cows there than people i don't know if they ever built a real city there you know because they're so dumb and inbred man i really hate that i also hate how they generalize all the time about other people good thing i come from an enlightened, civilized part of the country hey do you guys in the midwest have electricity or running water yet
Have you looked around Ohio?

PS. Midwestern DMD program is in Arizona.

Meharry and especially Howard are racist.. Just go to howards website, there are only african americans on the front page (funny bc it says "students from diverse backgrounds")

I find this extremely surprising, especially since they have one of the lowest two stats in EVERY category. HMMMMMM.....???? interesting. They dont accept the best applicants, only the ones that fit their parameters....

Last edited:
Just so everyone is aware... you can't simply label a person as a minority simply because they are not white. Asians are no longer minorities. As someone who has previously been an ADCOM member, we would have loved to attract African American and Hispanic students to come to our dental school, but we could not just simply give the seats away if their stats were not adequate. Every dental school in the country would love to boast about having a diverse student population and many dental schools affiliated with public university must show that they are actively attracting and admitting minority students. The big picture here is that many minority applicants know about those dental schools that admit higher numbers of minorities and focus on getting into those and would often rather attend them as well. We interviewed many minority applicants that were on par with our requirements for stats and found many of them just were not deciding to attend because they were attracted to those schools previously mentioned or were off the charts with stats and attended Harvard, etc. It is a viscous cycle that is tough to break. We would often interview minority applicants that had decent stats but not quite as high as others we were interviewing at that time simply to see if their personalities would fit with the school and found that even those with lower stats were getting in at other schools.

I think what I am trying to say is that minority applicants actually have an advantage getting into dental school with average stats compared to, say, a white male these days. Again, Asians are NOT minority anymore folks, especially in the world of dentistry!

DDS19841984,
i liked your other response better haha...why'd u have to go and edit it?

haha, its too real for this thread. Besides, I dont want to hurt anyones feelings if they are gonna be my classmate next year... although I think you and I can both agree that what I wrote is 100% true...

:D

" can't stand their filthy pig latin but i got rosetta stone so it's on suckas!"

hahahaha

I dont know where you live, but here in America Asians are still a minority.. If you are not the majority, then you are a what??

Unless Asians went from 14 mil to 60 mil since July of 2006, they aren't even the largest minority.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/010048.html

"Hispanic remained the largest minority group, with 44.3 million on July 1, 2006 — 14.8 percent of the total population. Black was the second-largest minority group, totaling 40.2 million in 2006. They were followed by Asian (14.9 million), American Indian and Alaska Native (4.5 million), and Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (1 million). The population of non-Hispanic whites who indicated no other race totaled 198.7 million in 2006."

I dont know where you live, but here in America Asians are still a minority.. If you are not the majority, then you are a what??

Unless Asians went from 14 mil to 60 mil since July of 2006, they aren't even the largest minority.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/010048.html

"Hispanic remained the largest minority group, with 44.3 million on July 1, 2006 — 14.8 percent of the total population. Black was the second-largest minority group, totaling 40.2 million in 2006. They were followed by Asian (14.9 million), American Indian and Alaska Native (4.5 million), and Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (1 million). The population of non-Hispanic whites who indicated no other race totaled 198.7 million in 2006."

I am telling you that Asians are not considered to be minority dental applicants. FACT. Trust me! They are a minority by population standards only, but when you look at dental applicants, and then look at percentage of Asian population applying to dental school versus population of Hispanic and African American population applying to dental school, you will see a distinct difference!!!

Last edited:
You didn't answer my question. When you are not the majority you are a what?

I'm just being a dick bc your post said, "Asians are no longer minorities."

Maybe my post should have read, "Asians are no longer considered minority applicants." I apologize if you misunderstood.

On a tangent, I feel as though some people on these forums need to realize the condescension and attitudes they portray in their posts and try to be a bit more professional. I am not pointing fingers, but I want people to realize how their words can greatly affect them. You never know who is lurking on this site and reading your every word. We recently saw a good example of this with a/some students at Detroit. I have always tried to be as professional as possible here, and I would encourage everyone else to do the same.

Hard time eating reality or what, Junior.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.