Midwestern, racist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Problems posting....another double

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i agree...asians are not considered minority in any health field.

I dont know where you live, but here in America Asians are still a minority.. If you are not the majority, then you are a what??

They're not a minority IN THE FIELD, not in terms of general population.

I never mentioned any "field" of anything, applicants or medical. I was simply assergting a fact that in the USA asians are a minority population.. This is not a racist statement. This was said in regards to a post that included the statement "Asians are no longer a minority". I don't care what the poster MEANT bc I cannot read inferences through my keyboard. Instead of being "professional" and attacking my statement of truth, maybe you could repost what you actually meant (which i believe has already been done).

I never mentioned any "field" of anything, applicants or medical. I was simply assergting a fact that in the USA asians are a minority population.. This is not a racist statement. This was said in regards to a post that included the statement "Asians are no longer a minority". I don't care what the poster MEANT bc I cannot read inferences through my keyboard. Instead of being "professional" and attacking my statement of truth, maybe you could repost what you actually meant (which i believe has already been done).
Please grow up!!!! You are the only person that took this statement and put it into the context of the general public, when clearly the poster was referring to the admissions process. Even if he/she didn't specifically say Asians are no longer a minority "applicant", context clues (something we all should have learned back in middle school) should have lead you to believe they were referring to the admissions process...Again, grow up!!!

Please grow up!!!! You are the only person that took this statement and put it into the context of the general public, when clearly the poster was referring to the admissions process. Even if he/she didn't specifically say Asians are no longer a minority "applicant", context clues (something we all should have learned back in middle school) should have lead you to believe they were referring to the admissions process...Again, grow up!!!

Why did that offend you? New news?

just to be clear... dr. simonsen is married to an asian woman, dr. zais who is a BIG part of admissions was raised in china, another is armenian (sorry if i misspelled that), and a couple are women. if you're going to MWU next year, why post such an inflammatory and unfounded thread about the school? personally i'm offended by your notion and i'd wouldn't be surprised if dr. s wants to have a sit down to talk about your representation of our school. i sit at a lab bench of 10 student doctors of which 4 are white men, 3 are women and 3 speak fluent korean. i can't stand their filthy pig latin but i got rosetta stone so it's on suckas!

well, married to an Asian lady does not mean you are not racist, it just that you have yellow fever or wahtever fever!

The point of the whole thread is that when i compared Columbia, Upenn, these schools have a diverse "color", not diverse "white people."

So it is sad that our school do not have a diverse populations in terms of ethnicity compare to other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, married to an Asian lady does not mean you are not racist, it just that you have yellow fever or wahtever fever!

The point of the whole thread is that when i compared Columbia, Upenn, these schools have a diverse "color", not diverse "white people."

So it is sad that our school do not have a diverse populations in terms of ethnicity compare to other schools.

Does it matter on color? Now, you're the racist bigot. You are the one discriminated that the school has diverse white people. If MWU is not your cup of tea, go to Howard or Meharry and have all the diverse "colored" people. Oh wait, both schools are private, so we are all good. :laugh:

They don't teach Sarcasm in school so I guess you may have not picked it up.. Its something like taking something that is inferred and using its literal meaning for humor or to be annoying and then defending your position for the entertainment while I am bored at work. Which is what I have done.. Using this forum for my personal amusement. If you don't like it, go to a different thread. Now go pull your panties out of your ass.

They don't teach Sarcasm in school so I guess you may have not picked it up.. Its something like taking something that is inferred and using its literal meaning for humor or to be annoying and then defending your position for the entertainment while I am bored at work. Which is what I have done.. Using this forum for my personal amusement. If you don't like it, go to a different thread. Now go pull your panties out of your ass.
SDN is not a PLAYGROUND!!!, it is a site for current and future Professionals....So like I said, Please grow up!!!

Wow... Maybe you should learn some restraint.. If you don't like something on a public forum where many opinions and sarcasm can be displayed, you don't always have to try and fix it. You can be a "grown up" and walk away..

You sound like a child the way you attempt to yell through the computer.. and really, who says grow up?

SDN is not a PLAYGROUND!!!, it is a site for current and future Professionals....So like I said, Please grow up!!!

It is not your ordinary playground
bears-playground-001.jpg

Does it matter on color? Now, you're the racist bigot. You are the one discriminated that the school has diverse white people. If MWU is not your cup of tea, go to Howard or Meharry and have all the diverse "colored" people. Oh wait, both schools are private, so we are all good. :laugh:

well, i am happy that MW accept me and happy that D1 are all friendly group. I do not want to cause any misunderstanding that i am unhappy about the admission process. I am just curious of MW first generation. Now, if you compare ADSOH first entering class, you will see the DIFFERENCE. doc toothache can post the link or you can google it.

It is just an opinion and curious how the admission process works, not want o create a fight club in here

Cant we all just get along

Last edited:
Hahahaha OK....the point has been made. Lets put down the flame throwers in the spirit of being classmates. the OP was WAAAAY off base and careless but lets bury it and get along. if you're goin to be classmates and collegues then let's start out on a good foot 'eh?

Last edited:
Hahahaha OK....the point has been made. Lets put down the flame throwers in the spirit of being classmates. the OP was WAAAAY off base and careless but lets bury it and get along. if you're goin to be classmates and collegues then let's start out on a good foot 'eh?

yea your right, that was a bit much. Im gonna delete that post, I would appreciate it if you would unquote it from yours.

I want to apologize to the OP. That post was too much of an attack and unwarranted. I got all fired up and typed before I thought it through...

sorry OP. That was more of an idiotic rant than a personal attack against you.

Last edited:
Not funny to a white male. No surprise there.
I've got no problem with self deprecating humor, it's just that your joke...wasn't. :p

Why not be 'somethinpositiv' instead of trying to write race jokes?

Last edited:
So I did not hear anything today...and nobody will PM me

So whats going on????

just to be clear... dr. simonsen is married to an asian woman, dr. zais who is a BIG part of admissions was raised in china, another is armenian (sorry if i misspelled that), and a couple are women. if you're going to MWU next year, why post such an inflammatory and unfounded thread about the school? personally i'm offended by your notion and i'd wouldn't be surprised if dr. s wants to have a sit down to talk about your representation of our school. i sit at a lab bench of 10 student doctors of which 4 are white men, 3 are women and 3 speak fluent korean. i can't stand their filthy pig latin but i got rosetta stone so it's on suckas!

All I'm going to say is, if it's true that Midwestern's class is 85% white, then the school would have a very, very hard time fighting a discrimination lawsuit. The percentage is disproportionately high, unjustifiably high. The percent minority applicants in dentistry is higher than the norm, and most schools try to match the percentage with the applicant percentage, based on race, sex, and everything you can imagine. The school can explain it anyway they want, but the single most important criteria the courts'll use is that percentage.

Regardless, Midwestern's not doing its job in creating dentists that society needs. The ADA's already urging schools to increase underrepresented minority acceptance to fill the needs of the country.

So I did not hear anything today...and nobody will PM me

So whats going on????

Relax. The school can't touch you or Hersheys. They've accepted you, but you're not yet a current student. They lack the strong contractual agreement to dictate what you do outside the school. You two've done nothing wrong as of yet. It's within your right to do what you did. If the school decides to take action on what happened, you've probably just made a million dollars. Once you attend the school, it's a different story.

Hershey's story is totally different and pretty much totally legitimate. Midwestern students seem to be big into professionalism, but I'm surprised they're not more doctor-like: understanding. A woman's sexuality is important, without question. We all know friends sleep together. Even colleagues sleep together. It's an aspect of health care that exists but people don't talk about.

For future reference, this is how things work in terms of resentment against your school: keep it internal. Few schools have completely satisfied students, but those students usually complain to each other and not to those outside the school. It's a way of sweeping the problems under the rug. Praise the school to the public. Curse it to your friends and family.

All I'm going to say is, if it's true that Midwestern's class is 85% white, then the school would have a very, very hard time fighting a discrimination lawsuit. The percentage is disproportionately high, unjustifiably high. The percent minority applicants in dentistry is higher than the norm, and most schools try to match the percentage with the applicant percentage, based on race, sex, and everything you can imagine. The school can explain it anyway they want, but the single most important criteria the courts'll use is that percentage.

Regardless, Midwestern's not doing its job in creating dentists that society needs. The ADA's already urging schools to increase underrepresented minority acceptance to fill the needs of the country.

from the ADA 2009:

Need for Minority Dentists

There is a critical need in many underserved communities where minority and disadvantaged people are not getting the care they need. Only 12 percent of students entering dental school are minorities, while minorities make up 25 percent of the general population. Recent data shows that minority dentists treat a very high number of minority patients.

if only 12% of incoming students are minorities nationwide then we're above average. i'll get some stats on minority applications:acceptences so we can factor that that in as well. aslo, i think we're safe from discrimination lawsuits if we're 3% about national average nation-wide.

This is a common misconception. The single most important fact the courts would look at is whether qualified applicants were denied admission based on their race. The total percentage of minorities in a class is not relevent until it is compared to the profiles of the students. We do not live in a world that FORCES schools to take underqualified students based on race. However, we do live in a world that FORBIDS weeding out otherwise qualified students based on race.

Equal protection is not the same as eqaul representation.

Last edited:
We do not live in a world that FORCES schools to take underqualified students based on race.

We live in a country in which adcoms accept underqualified students (COMPARED to other applicants) based on race and they are termed URM by them.

We live in a country in which adcoms accept underqualified students (COMPARED to other applicants) based on race and they are termed URM by them.

Take note of what I said. I didn't say that they couldn't do it, I said that they aren't FORCED to do it. If a school chooses not to engage in AA, it is not violating equal protection. I was addressing dentstd's assertion that Midwestern's mix of students would open the school up to discrimination lawsuits and that is not true. The law does not care about the de facto mix of students, it only cares about the means used to achieve that mix.

This is a common misconception. The single most important fact the courts would look at is whether qualified applicants were denied admission based on their race. The total percentage of minorities in a class is not relevent until it is compared to the profiles of the students. We do not live in a world that FORCES schools to take underqualified students based on race. However, we do live in a world that FORBIDS weeding out otherwise qualified students based on race.

Equal protection is not the same as eqaul representation.

And how do you think they determine whether someone was discriminated against? I've read the cases. I know what the circumstantial evidence are that they look at.

What you said was the legal question they'd try to answer. They answer that by looking at other information.

I know how this works. They look at the class demographics. They look at the applicant profiles. They look at the intangibles. They look at public policies. They look at the authorities to give deference to, blah, blah, blah. I didn't say this statistic'd open up lawsuits. I said that it could be used against them in a lawsuit. There's a subtle but important difference.

Within the dental application process, it's the Asians that outperform the country in all but one section, and the number of Asian applicants is very high nationwide. Bottomline, Midwestern really should re-evaluate themselves. Are they giving preference to whites? (And I'm not saying they are. I'm saying they really need to re-evaluate that question).

I'm going to stop here with you, because based on what you said, I gather you don't quite understand what these various terms really mean.

Last edited:
from the ADA 2009:

Need for Minority Dentists

There is a critical need in many underserved communities where minority and disadvantaged people are not getting the care they need. Only 12 percent of students entering dental school are minorities, while minorities make up 25 percent of the general population. Recent data shows that minority dentists treat a very high number of minority patients.

if only 12% of incoming students are minorities nationwide then we're above average. i'll get some stats on minority applications:acceptences so we can factor that that in as well. aslo, i think we're safe from discrimination lawsuits if we're 3% about national average nation-wide.

irrelevant, irrelevant, and irrelevant. Best case scenario other schools aren't doing their job either.

And how do you think they determine whether someone was discriminated against? I've read the cases. I know what the circumstantial evidence are that they look at.

And what are the circumstantial evidence they "they" look at?

Last edited:
And what are the circumstantial evidence they "they" look at?

Work on your reading comprehension skills. Reread the posts.

Work on your reading comprehension skills. Reread the posts.
I was hoping you'd post a case to show sufficient knowledge in your claims.

I was hoping you'd post a case to show sufficient knowledge in your claims.

Shephard it. People on here have enough trouble with basic English. I'm not putting technical legal jargon on here.

What you said was the legal question they'd try to answer. They answer that by looking at other information.

As I said above, what a court will use is the student's profile in relation to the overall profile of the class, not the schools percentage of minority students. There is nothing wrong with having an all white (or black or asian) school as long as the ratio is not the result of discrimination. And contrary to your statement, the ratio on its own is not evidence to that effect. A lawsuit based simply on the ratio of white to URM students will never be successful without underlying evidence that the ratio occurred as a result of discrimination against a protected class.

This is just like the cases where defendants claim they were discriminated against just by virtue of having an all white jury. These claims are summarily dismissed because as previously mentioned, equal protection does not mean equal representation.

You are backpeddling now, but I believe your original post said "The school can explain it anyway they want, but the single most important criteria the courts'll use is that percentage." I simply pointed at that this is not the case.

I'm going to stop here with you, because based on what you said, I gather you don't quite understand what these various terms really mean.

My law degree isn't good for much as a dental student, but I assure you that I probably understand what I am talking about better than you do.

Shephard it. People on here have enough trouble with basic English. I'm not putting technical legal jargon on here.

Evidently, there are several who can understand the technical, legal jargon. So, by all means, proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.