Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know you already got your list of credit hours, but for everyone else:
http://www.midwestern.edu/Arizona Catalog/7987.htm

Do you mean a linkage? I asked this same question. Apparently only the DO students get automatic interviews if they achieve certain stats (forget what they are). For all other schools, there is no "linkage" persay, but MWU faculty tend to "like their own". I took this to mean that if you did well, you'd be favored. But there is no official linkage.

yeah, dr. bell told me that DOs get an auto interview, but that was all. i know someone mentioned earlier that with certain stats you would get an auto acceptance...which unfortunately isn't true. the auto interview isn't really as important to me as i'm assuming/hoping that the fact i interviewed this year would mean i'd get one next year as well (assuming i do well in the program...assuming i get accepted haha)

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to admissions yesterday. For an auto interview you need a 3.2gpa and 23 mcat. I'm hoping to get an interview for the MA program next week and if so, I'll try to find out average stats by MA students who have gotten into the DO program.

I talked to admissions yesterday. For an auto interview you need a 3.2gpa and 23 mcat. I'm hoping to get an interview for the MA program next week and if so, I'll try to find out average stats by MA students who have gotten into the DO program.

That's a good question to ask. I'm sure Dr. Bell would be willing to answer this, whether or not you're interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, i found out today that i was accepted to the MA program in AZ. i was wondering if anyone was still looking for a roomie?? *i'm female if that matters* i really want to live in san lagos or something equally close to campus...but i definitely can't afford a 1br there so i'm hoping to find a roomie or two.

so, i found out today that i was accepted to the MA program in AZ. i was wondering if anyone was still looking for a roomie?? *i'm female if that matters* i really want to live in san lagos or something equally close to campus...but i definitely can't afford a 1br there so i'm hoping to find a roomie or two.

Congrats!

RE: your housing woes. :rolleyes: Join the club!
j/k

It seems like a lot of us are looking for housing/roomies since the on-campus apts are FULL. Have you seen MWU's list of off-campus apts? It has apartments listed that are cheaper than San Lagos/San Pedros. I mean they don't look to be luxury by any means, but who cares as long as they're cheap, right?

Anyways, I'm female and still haven't found anything. PM me if you wanna talk.

Congrats! When did you have your interview?

Congrats! When did you have your interview?

it was last week, either monday or tuesday i can't remember exactly which day!! :confused: i definitely wasn't expecting it though, and to make matters worse...he called my cell phone which i almost ALWAYS have on me, but i had left it upstairs at the time so i didn't answer, so then he called my house phone and my mom answered, so when she told me to pick up...she didn't hang up!! i was on a corded phone so i couldn't get to where she was to make her hang up....and she was a ***** and i could hear her like breathing in the phone and making noise, so it was hard to hear him...i was so frustrated and distracted that i didn't do as well as i would have liked, but i guess it worked out in the end. i did tell my mom that if i didn't get in it would be all her fault though haha. but thats what happens when you move back in with your parents after graduating from college....ive been at home for a year now and i cannot wait to get out....and to move across the country no less!

About the auto-interview thing:

Dr. Bell threw out some stats for me that sounded something similar to an interview then an acceptance. It was something along the lines of a 3.3 overall and 26 MCAT. I think I was the one who said it earlier, but I guess I shouldn't have said straight up auto acceptance. It's more like they hold a seat for you until a decision is made. Nothing is for certain, so just do your best.

Dentistin2011 and I are rooming together in San Lagos because I have to start getting ready for the move. I realize there might be cheaper out there, but we figured that we'd just screw it at this point and settle for something that works.

It'll be funny since neither of us are bringing any furniture, so it'll be the barebones apartment reminiscent of undergrad.

If you guys are curious, they do have a waitlist, so at least fill out an application. Just don't send them a deposit or anything. Ask if you have any questions.

If you guys are curious, they do have a waitlist, so at least fill out an application. Just don't send them a deposit or anything. Ask if you have any questions.

I filled out an app for the apts but it said that since I didn't pay a deposit, the app wasn't submitted. :confused: I wouldn't mind sending in money, as long as they refunded it if I didn't get off the waitlist. Anyone know about this?

Well, you have to send in a deposit to be put on the waitlist. Otherwise, they just have your information.

They've been kinda hard to get in contact with. I called maybe 5 times today on separate occasions and I get an automated message saying they're unavailable. It's the same number I've used before and I've gotten that message before and finally got it once, so something must be up today.

If you want to know your status with them, just call. Other than the random days like this, you can talk it out with them.

Hi everyone,

I just got accepted to the Glendale MA program!! :laugh:

I applied, interviewed, and got my acceptance letter (yesterday!) all in the space of 3 weeks, so it has all happened pretty fast and I feel like I'm behind on the info you guys have been sharing with each other... esp. when it comes to housing!

I'd love to have other MA or MBS roommates- I'm female and my housing preferences can be summed up in two words: cheap & close. Get in touch if you are still looking for a roommate (or know where I can find one...)

Looking forward to meeting you all!

For those who have been accepted, I was wondering if you could give me a heads up on questions that could be asked during the interview (hopefully I'll get one)

does anyone know if we need to get the titers and the physical and all that stuff? I'm assuming we do, but I swear I read somewhere on the site that biomedical sciences didn't need the titers or something. I can't find where I found that again though...so I was hoping maybe one of you knew a definitive answer???

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted, I was wondering if you could give me a heads up on questions that could be asked during the interview (hopefully I'll get one)

to answer your question, just be prepared to explain why you want to go into that specific program, what your professional goals are, explain any poor grades or anything like that. he asked me about one of my extracurriculars from undergrad and what it taught me. nothing was too hard or caught me off guard too much, it was pretty basic. it was a little tough for me as the majority of my research into the school was for AZCOM and i interviewed for AZCOM as well so that info was all fresh in my mind so i was having trouble trying to answer questions without answering them for AZCOM instead of the biomed program (what i liked about the curriculum for instance...i wasn't sure what kind of differences there were between the two and i mostly knew how AZCOMS was). a lot of the time is spent by him explaining the program and answering any questions you have too. so you might want to prepare a few because that always looks good.

to answer your question, just be prepared to explain why you want to go into that specific program, what your professional goals are, explain any poor grades or anything like that. he asked me about one of my extracurriculars from undergrad and what it taught me. nothing was too hard or caught me off guard too much, it was pretty basic. it was a little tough for me as the majority of my research into the school was for AZCOM and i interviewed for AZCOM as well so that info was all fresh in my mind so i was having trouble trying to answer questions without answering them for AZCOM instead of the biomed program (what i liked about the curriculum for instance...i wasn't sure what kind of differences there were between the two and i mostly knew how AZCOMS was). a lot of the time is spent by him explaining the program and answering any questions you have too. so you might want to prepare a few because that always looks good.

Great! Thank you so much for your reply!

does anyone know if we need to get the titers and the physical and all that stuff? I'm assuming we do, but I swear I read somewhere on the site that biomedical sciences didn't need the titers or something. I can't find where I found that again though...so I was hoping maybe one of you knew a definitive answer???

I didn't risk it and got a physical 2 weeks ago, along with a TB test and a meningitis vaccine. I sent out the materials 4 days ago. You could call them and see if everything is necessary, but I just got my PCP to sign and do most of everything.

On a side note, the San Lagos number seems screwed right now. I've been trying to contact them since Friday morning of last week and nothing. I wonder if something happened.

EDIT - Also on that note of medical stuff, make sure you do the health insurance waiver at the online.midwestern.edu page or you'll get the $1800 charge for their health insurance policy. Well, this is assuming you have an insurance policy already, but any is probably better than this mandatory one.

Last edited:

My interview was actually conducted while I was on a train(!)- I asked to reschedule but the admissions committee was meeting in the next day or so, so I pretty much had to do it right then. Anyway, it felt a lot more like a get-to-know-you meeting than a formal interview- a few basic questions about undergrad and what I've done since graduation, what my experiences have taught me, what attracted you to the program, etc- nothing difficult. Then I got to ask a bunch of questions about the program too!

Oh, one more thing- I was asked to explain why I wanted to do the MA instead of the MBS, and one thing I found interesting is that he basically said for the MA program, they are looking for people who are NOT so interested in research. I guess that's an obvious distinction- I mean, if you do like research you'd probably do the 2-year MBS, but I just thought it was unusual for a school to say, "Don't want to do research? GREAT!" (not in so many words, of course.) So, whether you really love research or whether you really don't, you'll probably be asked to explain why you're choosing one program over the other.

Good luck!!!

Nakivumbi, that was interesting about the research. When he asked me about my research experience, I said my spiel, but Dr. Bell like almost wanted to change the subject the more I was talking about it. Overall, he didn't focus on anything for too long, but when I look back on my interview, this is probably the case.

I do find it funny for once that a program prefers people who want to get technical i.e. enter professional schools. I mean, it must've been hard to interview MBS students before the MA program existed and a lot of them just honestly said they wanted dental school or med school, not research. Or worse, they just kinda showed interested but only for the sake of getting in.

I guess that's why they pushed for this program. I guess it all worked out.

Hi all! I am going to be starting as a medical student at MWU's glendale campus in the fall and was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate? I'm pretty sure I'd like to l live at San Lagos, as it's so close to campus and seems pretty luxurious :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm 23, love to travel, graduated undergrad in physics/philosophy in '06, don't smoke, like people, and am now finishing up my MS in orthopaedics. I'll be traveling down from the beautiful state of Ohio, where I grew up.

Please send me a message if you're interested in talking about the possibility of rooming together!

Your ff (future friend),
Joe
(male...but open to a guy or girl roomate)

Hello classmates to be in Arizona..

I am female, nice and friendly. I am looking forward to meet you all in the MBS program this Fall.

I am looking for a roomate too..hahah...

If you have an extra space for me. Please PM me ASAP.

Last edited:
Hi there... I'm currently a 1st year student in the Masters of Biomedical Science (MBS) Program ("special post-bac program") at Midwestern University in Downers Grove, IL. If you have any specific questions about the program, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck in your endeavors.

Hi....I am a Dentist from India and would like to Get into a dental school in America but i have a very low GPA(1.72)...i think i need a post bac program to improve my GPA so that i can apply for dental schools...please if u can give me some advise regarding this situation and some information regarding ur course, it will really help me...

Who did you guys choose for your health insurance coverage? I'm having trouble finding something cheap and basic. Does MWU offer some kind of discounted student insurance if you go to their clinics?

Wow, lots of questions and stuff at once!

Ok, well, I'd answer about the roommate thing, but I already got one. San Lagos is where we will be staying so I suggest checking them out, although their management appears to be on vacation or something because they haven't answered my phone calls at all. I guess I'll try tomorrow.

Gumex, yes, you will have to do a postbac and get a stellar DAT score to make it here, but being a foreign graduate might mean another exam. I don't know what you can do in this thread, so I make a thread if you haven't already. If you're interested in Midwestern's post-bac, just remember that it is a DMD, as opposed to a DDS. They're the same like the MD/DO thing, but it might matter to you.

rose, I actually already have health insurance under my mom, so I'll be signing that waiver. If I end up going to AZCOM, I guess I'll worry about it then when I turn 25. I don't think that default insurance will be that great either, so you'll probably have to do more research.

hi everyone!
As per my last post on here...I'm back with good news! I got into the MA program today! It took a while because there were a lot of mixups with my application, so it took a while to get it straightened out. But once it was all set, I had my interview last Wednesday and got the letter in the mail today! you guys weren't lying when you said it was a fast process!
I'm about to do the deposit/matriculation stuff now.
As for housing, I will most likely be living in Peoria, AZ with family...so sorry I can't help out with the roommate situation. Good luck to you all though!
I really can't wait to get to know you guys and meet you all in August!!!
PM me!!!

is anyone that is doing the MBS this fall in Downers Grove, Il planning on applying this year for med school? :confused:

Hey everyone I just got accepted to the MBS program yesterday!! I am so nervous and have been eying this thread for awhile and everyone seems really cool. I have no clue what is going on and rose how did you find the housing list? I need a roomie too, so hit me up and any info you can give me will be great, thx!!!

Does anyone have ANY info on the BMS program at the Downers Grove campus? I haven't heard if they're starting to take people off the waiting list, etc. Any information you may have would be of great assistance. Thanks!

Hey Miami I am giving up my spot since I got into glendale so hope that goes to you!!!

i just sent in my application for the MA program at glendale. Do u guys think its too late to apply?...

Hey everyone I just got accepted to the MBS program yesterday!! I am so nervous and have been eying this thread for awhile and everyone seems really cool. I have no clue what is going on and rose how did you find the housing list? I need a roomie too, so hit me up and any info you can give me will be great, thx!!!

Login to online.midwestern.edu using the name/password they give you. Go to Student Services tab > Housing application > click where it says off-campus housing at the top. :)

I'm still eyeing potential housing options, but I haven't set anything in stone because I want to be able to go down there and look at everything myself.

When's everyone moving to AZ? Orientation starts Aug 27 I think.

i just sent in my application for the MA program at glendale. Do u guys think its too late to apply?...

I'd talk to Dr. Bell and see how many seats are still available. His contact info is further upthread. I'd say it's cutting it pretty close though.

When's everyone moving to AZ? Orientation starts Aug 27 I think.

I'm gonna try to make it down there by Aug 20th.
Does anyone know what goes down at orientation?

Last edited:
Hey does anyone know if students get accepted to allopathic schools or just osteopathic schools? I have heard about the AZCOM thing with MBS students but I cant find anywhere if any students have gotten into MD programs. Does doing the research year help?

Hey, predents who accepted to MA or MBS.
I have a problem with accessing supplemental application on line.
When I am trying to creat an account, it says I already have an account because I am already accepted to MA.
I can't see any further instructions after logging-in.
Do you know how to solve this problem?
Help desk hasn't answered my phone calls.

I'm gonna try to make it down there by Aug 20th. it's gonna be a 3 day trek for me!!
Does anyone know what goes down at orientation?

3 days? Ouch. I'm assuming orientation involves tours and talks, but I don't know how they can stretch that out over 2 days.

Dentistin2011, you're way ahead of me. I've just started AADSAS and probably won't submit until late July b/c I haven't finished my PS. I would call up the admissions office and ask. They probably can't answer your question, but they can transfer you to someone who knows.

I finally talked to an assistant in the help desk.
She solved the problem in a couple of minutes and I can see the supplemental application section after logging-in.
You might have the same problem, just call help desk until they answer.
Good luck on your application process.

Someone post something in here. It doesn't even have to be useful. :)

Ok, I'll post my move-in date.

I'm heading down on Aug 20th. I think dentistin2011 will be there 5 days before me, so he'll have the whole place to himself for awhile ;)

Maybe we could do a little gathering at San Lagos a few days before orientation for those living there. Did you guys make plans on where to stay?

yeh, I am gonna be there on 15th or 16th.
We could gather in our(me and flushot) living room because there's gonna almost no furniture in there. :D

just curious have you guys done immunization stuffs?
I asked school about titer tests and he said we don't need to do them.
Sorry if you already knew about it.

I'm hoping to move down on the 15th too. Don't know about the immunization stuff, the website seems to be scarce on details.

We should all definitely meet up though. It'd be nice to see the people I'll be spending the next year with.

PS- I unfortunately won't be arriving until right before orientation- I can't leave my job until Aug 16th, then I have to fly to my parents' house, grab all my stuff, get to AZ... yay last minute! You guys will have to show me around once I do get there- can't wait! :)

woaah we have a white coat ceremony too??? I feel special

I didn't know we got a white coat either!! Hopefully we get our names printed on it. I will be moving down around 15 or 16th I guess since I still dont have a place to live :( you are move than welcome to take pity on this poor homeless girl. today i dont mind :D I can't wait to meet all of you!!!

hey guys, so i applied to the MA in BMS program just last week. I called them today because I had specific questions about the program and also to check the status of my application. I talked to Dr. Jones and he answered my questions and then asked me if I had a few minutes to just have the phone interview right there. I said yes and within 5 minutes we were done the interview. He said as of right now 40 students have placed deposits and they are going to cap the class size at 50. He told me to call him late tomorrow and he will have my unofficial decision. I am hoping its going to be good news so I can join you guys in glendale!!!

For those applying to Downers Grove, if you have any questions about the program I'd be happy to answer them.

Here's the BMS orientation schedule that's on the Student Services website...

http://mwunet.midwestern.edu/administrative/SS/ssDocuments/AZOrientation/BMS_2008.doc

Is any one else completely frustrated by the lack of information on MWU's website? It's so disorganized!! grr...

Interesting. So orientation is basically a bunch of talks and a bid to sell us their insurance. I've heard that the med insurance offered by the school is lousy, just fyi.

And yes, you'd think with what they charge for tuition they could get a more thorough website. I had to search to even find an address, which is ridiculous. Oh well, I'm still excited to start.

Ares,

How long exactly is this program at Downers Grove? Are you pre-med or pre-dent (or something else)? Do you live on campus? I dont know if I have any other questions as of now but any other information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

:D i got in!!!

still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools in the meanwhile but glendale is a high possibility