military gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

threepeas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone applying to, or in residency for military anesthesia?
i am MS3 army hpsp interested in gas.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to rotate as an MSIV at both Walter Reed and BAMC. If you can only do one, pick where you think you'd rather go. Also try to do an anesthesia rotation in a civilian institution so you can try to see whether you'd prefer to train military or civilian. Try to do your ADT closer to November when the board meets and not in July or August when the CA-1s are brand new.

Try to rotate as an MSIV at both Walter Reed and BAMC. If you can only do one, pick where you think you'd rather go. Also try to do an anesthesia rotation in a civilian institution so you can try to see whether you'd prefer to train military or civilian. Try to do your ADT closer to November when the board meets and not in July or August when the CA-1s are brand new.

Or, if you can make the pieces fall into place, BAMC in lovely San Antonio. Beats Wally World and Bethesda IMHO any day, in terms of quality of life considerations.

Hopefully x-milmd will add his .02, along with his cool motorcycle avatar of the week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Navy CA-1. I don't know anything about Army programs, other than that the one at Walter Reed is combined with the Navy Bethesda program (ie, National Capital Consortium).

I'd avoid Walter Reed like the plague. That place ought to be knocked over, no two bricks left atop one another, the ground sown with salt. I'm equivocal as to whether or not a 30 foot wall should be built around the site and sprinkled with radioactive cobalt. Approximately 93.75% of my unhappy USUHS medical student memories involve Walter Reed in some fashion.

Military residencies, in general, have good didactics and produce impressive board scores; there's usually a very comfortable team/supportive atmosphere between the residents, ie competition with peers is minimal. All military programs (anesthesia or not) typically suffer from the same set of shortcomings though - overall lack of acuity, fewer big cases, a lot less trauma, almost no HIV, generally weaker/younger support staff with high turnover, and high attending turnover/deployments. I think most will agree that military anesthesia GME hasn't suffered as much as some other military GME programs in recent years. I'd be very afraid of entering primary care in the military these days.

militarymd is an ex-Navy anesthesiologist who trained at Bethesda and (I think) served out most or all of his time at Portsmouth; I'm sure he'll pop into this thread at some point. Hopefully he or someone else can give you more Army-specific info.

militarymd is an ex-Navy anesthesiologist who trained at Bethesda and (I think) served out most or all of his time at Portsmouth; I'm sure he'll pop into this thread at some point. Hopefully he or someone else can give you more Army-specific info.

I think my experiences will no longer be applicable to current environment.

I finished training at Bethesda almost 10 years ago...and promptly left....against my will ....but for which I am grateful.

To cuba and then onto civilian CCM fellowship.

Things have changed a lot....so I can't comment on much.

pgg,

Say hi to Lou for me.....Tell him that "I'm making a lot of WIDGETS very efficiently and quickly for a lot of money right now"

Class of 1997 then on to GITMO.