Military people... Post 9/11 GI Bill with out of state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SV10

Reaction score
I'm eligible for full benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I know I can get full in-state tuition covered, but does anyone know if it's possible to have full tuition covered for public dental schools in states that I'm not currently a resident of?

Also can someone point me in the direction of a list a public dental schools, or a list of dental schools offering the Yellow Ribbon Program? It's surprisingly difficult to find these resources.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, finding info about military benefits has been a struggle for me since day one of getting my finances together for undergrad..I haven't seen a list of dental schools, but you can search for specific schools that participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program in on the VA website (here).

I think you should first come up with a list of schools that you're interested in or are within your stats range and then search for these schools on the VA website since there isn't like a master list of schools that participate. This could potentially save you a lot of time and money when applying to schools!

Hope this helps~

I did some research on this earlier today. If you can get into dental school 3 years after separating you qualify under the Choice Act for in-state tuition in any state with the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm eligible for full benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I know I can get full in-state tuition covered, but does anyone know if it's possible to have full tuition covered for public dental schools in states that I'm not currently a resident of?

Also can someone point me in the direction of a list a public dental schools, or a list of dental schools offering the Yellow Ribbon Program? It's surprisingly difficult to find these resources.

All public schools(including public Dental Schools) will take the GI Bill and will cover the cost of in state tuition. You don't have to be a resident of the state to qualify for the in state tuition when using the GI Bill. Yellow ribbon Program is for private schools that are more than the 25k the GI bill will help pay to off set the remaining balance. Some schools pay a little of the difference and others pay the remaining balance. If you have more specific questions simply call the veterans affair office for the school and they will give you the specific details for their program.

Not trying to steal @purplecat1 thunder, but this is the link he posted which is a good resource as well:

As an example, I am going to a residency, at a public school, in a state that I was never a resident, and have the GI Bill flip the bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, where can I find the information about the gi bill covers 100% of public dental school tuition? I thought the gi bill does not cover 100% if it’s for higher level education than bachelors degree.

Hey guys, where can I find the information about the gi bill covers 100% of public dental school tuition? I thought the gi bill does not cover 100% if it’s for higher level education than bachelors degree.
This ^

Every single resource I've come across, including the actual VA, has said 100% tuition for 36 months at public schools. And trust me I've searched thoroughly