PhD/PsyD Military Psych Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulsa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m considering going the military psych route and applying for the HPSP with the Army, Air Force, or Navy. For those who have gone this route, especially “lifers” who stay military psychologists after their initial 3-year commitment following their APA internship, I’ve got a few questions. Or, if you know someone who has gone this route and can speak for them, please let me know. Thanks!

1. Did you apply for internship only at military sites?

2. Did you do your internship at a site different from your initial HPSP branch of service? (for instance, if you received the HPSP scholarship through the Air Force, but ended up at Tripler Army Base)

3. Where have you been stationed thus far during your career?

4. How frequently could a lifer expect to deploy during a 20-year career? Is there large variation for how long/often combat zone deployments take place between the Army, Air Force, and Navy?

5. Were you clinical or counseling PhD, or PsyD?

Members don't see this ad.

It's important to distinguish between deployments and duty stations. You could get deployed somewhere (e.g., Afghanistan) from 60 days to 12 months (which is going to depend on the branch and deployment location), but you could be stationed overseas (e.g., Germany or Japan) for years. You may not really have a say in any of this. You can ask for whatever duty station or deployment you want, but it's far from a guarantee. You could also be relatively suddenly sent on a deployment. There are people whose jobs are just focused on coordinating the filling of billets (think of these as official job openings at particular duty stations or deployments) across the world and there is pressure on them to not leave these vacant. They might place you someplace you'd rather not go, especially if they don't like you (don't piss off your detailer), but they could also send you to some pretty nice places (San Diego and Hawaii are popular).

Also, deployment isn't necessarily guaranteed, but it is important if you want to stay in the military for a career. There are policies for both enlisted and officers about how long you can stay in the military at a given rank (e.g., High Year of Tenure). If you don't advance within a given amount of time, you get discharged (honorably) from the service. You can't just stay as an O-3 for 20 years. This is more restrictive for officers as they cost more and there are fewer spots as you go up the rank hierarchy. To advance, you need to distinguish yourself, which means much more than simply being good at your designated job. You need to be visible and rack up awards and accolades beyond your specific job responsibilities, which includes deploying. If you don't deploy, it's unlikely that you'll get promoted past a certain point, which means you'll languish around O-3 or so until you get discharged after a couple of years.

This is why it's important that you remain "deployable," even if you never actually deploy. If there is something (e.g., a medical condition) that prevents you from being deployed, your days are numbered in the service.

Reactions: 1 users
Good insights - thanks for the help!

I expect to deploy, but am just trying to establish a reasonable expectation for how frequently I would deploy. I come from a family with few military ties, let alone as military psychologists, so I'm trying to determine if I should expect to deploy 10 times for a year each deployment during a 20-year career, or if there are "deployable" psychologists who never end up deploying - I just have nothing to measure against. Any other help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, can you speak to any of the other questions in my OP?

It's important to distinguish between deployments and duty stations. You could get deployed somewhere (e.g., Afghanistan) from 60 days to 12 months (which is going to depend on the branch and deployment location), but you could be stationed overseas (e.g., Germany or Japan) for years. You may not really have a say in any of this. You can ask for whatever duty station or deployment you want, but it's far from a guarantee. You could also be relatively suddenly sent on a deployment. There are people whose jobs are just focused on coordinating the filling of billets (think of these as official job openings at particular duty stations or deployments) across the world and there is pressure on them to not leave these vacant. They might place you someplace you'd rather not go, especially if they don't like you (don't piss off your detailer), but they could also send you to some pretty nice places (San Diego and Hawaii are popular).

Also, deployment isn't necessarily guaranteed, but it is important if you want to stay in the military for a career. There are policies for both enlisted and officers about how long you can stay in the military at a given rank (e.g., High Year of Tenure). If you don't advance within a given amount of time, you get discharged (honorably) from the service. You can't just stay as an O-3 for 20 years. This is more restrictive for officers as they cost more and there are fewer spots as you go up the rank hierarchy. To advance, you need to distinguish yourself, which means much more than simply being good at your designated job. You need to be visible and rack up awards and accolades beyond your specific job responsibilities, which includes deploying. If you don't deploy, it's unlikely that you'll get promoted past a certain point, which means you'll languish around O-3 or so until you get discharged after a couple of years.

This is why it's important that you remain "deployable," even if you never actually deploy. If there is something (e.g., a medical condition) that prevents you from being deployed, your days are numbered in the service.

I was just invited to interview in Portsmouth on april 23/24 for the clin psych HPSP. I was wondering if anyone has done the interview before and has any advice or insight into what kinds of questions to expect. I figure they'll ask why I want to be an officer in the navy. While I am really excited, I admittedly don't know much about military culture, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before the interview. Even advice about whether there are expectations they have of us interpersonally? For example, should I be as stoic as possible, or is it okay to show (professionally) my personality?

Really just any advice about anything HPSP interview-related would be awesome.

For anyone who knows about Officer Development School for the Navy: How often does ODS occur? Is it every 5 weeks for the whole year? Just for the summer? Every week? Just trying to plan accordingly.

1. Did you apply for internship only at military sites?
No. I applied to 12 total, with my branch ranked at the top. If you are not accepted at a military site, you need to complete a civilian internship and get licensed in order to pay back your contract. Internship isn't guaranteed. The advantage of HPSP is that it opens doors for guidance and mentorship from your service, which will make you a better applicant.

2. Did you do your internship at a site different from your initial HPSP branch of service? (for instance, if you received the HPSP scholarship through the Air Force, but ended up at Tripler Army Base)
No, and I haven't personally heard of this happening.

3. Where have you been stationed thus far during your career?
Leaving out the biographical info here. Expect to be at your training site for 2-2.5 years, then a PCS to your first duty station for 3 years. You can be assigned nearly anywhere. My best advice is to set expectations with the five largest bases in a given service. For me, the type of unit is more important than the location. There is a big difference between a hospital and the infantry.

4. How frequently could a lifer expect to deploy during a 20-year career? Is there large variation for how long/often combat zone deployments take place between the Army, Air Force, and Navy?
Deployment is an awesome experience and it's a reason to join the military. Deployments can range from 1 to 15 months depending on the assignment, the service, and world events. Before 9-11 zero to two deployments in a 20-year career was probably more common. Now I would estimate one deployment in your first five years (assuming two are in training), and two or maybe three in your first 10 years. Some people pursue and volunteer for deployments, and some don't. Once you reach higher ranks the assignments are different, and the deployment picture changes.

5. Were you clinical or counseling PhD, or PsyD?
I'm a clinical Ph.D. From what I've seen, there are more clinical than counseling psychologists, and Psy.D.'s outnumber Ph.D.s.

I was just invited to interview in Portsmouth on april 23/24 for the clin psych HPSP. I was wondering if anyone has done the interview before and has any advice or insight into what kinds of questions to expect. I figure they'll ask why I want to be an officer in the navy. While I am really excited, I admittedly don't know much about military culture, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before the interview. Even advice about whether there are expectations they have of us interpersonally? For example, should I be as stoic as possible, or is it okay to show (professionally) my personality?

Really just any advice about anything HPSP interview-related would be awesome.

Be yourself, be professional, let them get to know you, and get to know them. Putting on a persona will either come across as not genuine, or lead to a bad fit and a bad outcome in the long run. Don't worry about lacking military experience, but learn what you can about the job and the service. They have experience training Navy psychologists, including those with no military background.

Tell “the man” you’ve watched the movie Hurt Locker several times and can’t wait for field duty.

(J/K. Don’t do that...)