Jan 26, 2021
So I’m about to finish my 2nd year of PT school and was curious about military PT. Has anyone gone through the commissioning as an officer process and tell me about their experience? Or is anyone a civilian working for the military and tell me about their experience? The more I look into it the more I want to go this route but it’s d like some insight from people who have traveled this path before I make any decisions. I’m hoping one of my 3rd year rotations can be at the local Air Force base.

Jan 29, 2021
I was an Air Force civilian PT contractor for 12 of my 32 years as a PT. It was the most autonomous position I have ever held. Lots of direct access type care. Could order plain films if needed (not common though). Good rapport with the in house MD's. Generally very compliant patients. Very busy. Could see 6 new patients and 8 re-evaluations per day. Joint Manipulation and dry needling were allowed even if your state practice act excluded same. The officers in charge of the clinic were sharp PT's- Board certified, McKenzie diplomat, DSc's were some of their credentials. They inspired me to update from my Bachelor of Science PT degree to DPT and earn my OCS. Best job I ever had!

Jan 26, 2021
I was an Air Force civilian PT contractor for 12 of my 32 years as a PT. It was the most autonomous position I have ever held. Lots of direct access type care. Could order plain films if needed (not common though). Good rapport with the in house MD's. Generally very compliant patients. Very busy. Could see 6 new patients and 8 re-evaluations per day. Joint Manipulation and dry needling were allowed even if your state practice act excluded same. The officers in charge of the clinic were sharp PT's- Board certified, McKenzie diplomat, DSc's were some of their credentials. They inspired me to update from my Bachelor of Science PT degree to DPT and earn my OCS. Best job I ever had!
That’s awesome to hear! Can you tell me anything about how you landed a civilian contractor position?

About the Ads
Jan 29, 2021
That’s awesome to hear! Can you tell me anything about how you landed a civilian contractor position?
As I recall, back in 2005, I responded to an on line job posting. Can't remember the web site though. I contacted the contracting company that was advertising the job. They gave me the contact info for the officer in charge of the PT clinic. These days I bet that you would not be given that info. I think that your resume' and CV would be submitted to the base's contracting people, who would then forward it to the PT clinic folks.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads