Military Spouse: Pre-Med DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dowell1840

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancee is in the military and I am about to graduate with my undergraduate degree. I want to go to medical school to pursue getting my DO, not sure if I want to specialize yet. However, with the time commitment medical school requires I am concerned that I won't be in one place for long enough to do residency and the degree. Does anyone have any suggestions or has dealt with this before? Someone suggested trying to do something with the Military but I'm not sure how that works or if it is possible. Any help would be much appreciated I'm going crazy worrying about it! I would wait it out to move and get married until after school is done but I have to move after I graduate so my son can finally live with his dad and see him. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is very difficult situation.

1. If possible - try to apply to school near your fiancee's duty station. But, during the enlistment it is possible the duty assignment will change. Obviously this depends on how competetive your application is and where the duty location is.
2. You need to make a choice - do you REALLY REALLY want to pursue medicine? or do you REALLY REALLY want to live close to your fiancee? It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish both. (I am living away from my wife during med school - it sucks but its a sacrifice I'm willing to make)
3. If you wanted to do medical school with military scholarship look into HPSP and check out the sdn military forum for discussions on pros and cons of this. This would not guarantee living close to your fiancee, it may even complicate things further down the road.

My fiancee is in the military and I am about to graduate with my undergraduate degree. I want to go to medical school to pursue getting my DO, not sure if I want to specialize yet. However, with the time commitment medical school requires I am concerned that I won't be in one place for long enough to do residency and the degree. Does anyone have any suggestions or has dealt with this before? Someone suggested trying to do something with the Military but I'm not sure how that works or if it is possible. Any help would be much appreciated I'm going crazy worrying about it! I would wait it out to move and get married until after school is done but I have to move after I graduate so my son can finally live with his dad and see him. Thanks!
my spouse is ad and I agree about trying to get a school close and at times your so may have option to extend the location