Military Vet , decision making

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MidshipNavy15

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Forgive me in advance if I have posted in the wrong forum, admins please remove if necessary. A little about myself before I ask a few questions from current students and/or certified PT's. I enlisted in the Navy when I was 18 years old, Im currently 22 and am nearing the end of my contract, so obviously the discussion of school has come up. Although I am nearing the end of my service, what I would like to pursue has been on my mind for almost two years now.
I have very few college credits from military training and attending a few courses while on deployment but I am still able to apply as a transfer student. I have been looking at accelerated programs at some colleges for example (Sacred Heart University). But I have been told that these program are very difficult to get transfer students into, and while PT sparks my interest Im having anxiety about being in school for so long. By the time I graduate and get all of my certifications I will be at least 30 years old.
So to kind of get to the point I was curious if there are any other options besides becoming a physical therapist where I could still incorporate medicine and sports in my daily work routine? I looked at AT's, but the job market scares me and the beginning wages do not look too pleasing. Any help would be much appreciated and apologies once more If I have posted in the wrong topic!

Thank you.
 
Good question and glad you're planning for the next chapter in your life. I know right where you're coming from--prior enlisted myself, now an officer.

Use your GI bill to study and pursue your passions, avoid scams and low quality schools that will offer you a lot for nothing. You're already starting to ask a lot of questions and learn and that's good. The time required to become a PT can be a bit long, but the profession needs people who are well prepared--that preparation doesn't happen overnight. At 22, you are young, but probably have a lot of experience in the Navy that put you ahead of your peers--at least on the maturity level and ability to discipline yourself toward a degree track.

There are "veteran friendly" schools that have counselors that may be able to provide some assistance. From your post, it looks as if your first priority is to use transfer credit, then get started onto a viable degree path, and ultimately pursue AT/PTA/ or PT by the end of it. If that is your goal, then break it down step by step and start your path, despite the age that you will be at the end of it. I mean, you can either finish young, or you can pursue a field that you'll work in for the rest of your life. Both have positive and negative consequences.

Find a mentor. Find the person that does what it is that you can really see yourself doing for life and learn their story. None of us has a straight path directly to success, but we all have a story to tell. I decided to become a PT when I was a 21 y/o HM3. It took me 7 years to get there, and 19 to earn a terminal degree. I wouldn't change any of it because I did the things I needed to do at the time in my life they needed to be done. There are those that are younger that got "there" sooner, but it doesn't matter. Each person's story is their own, but I did have a few good mentors along the way. It helps.

Hope this helps--!
 
Good question and glad you're planning for the next chapter in your life. I know right where you're coming from--prior enlisted myself, now an officer.

Use your GI bill to study and pursue your passions, avoid scams and low quality schools that will offer you a lot for nothing. You're already starting to ask a lot of questions and learn and that's good. The time required to become a PT can be a bit long, but the profession needs people who are well prepared--that preparation doesn't happen overnight. At 22, you are young, but probably have a lot of experience in the Navy that put you ahead of your peers--at least on the maturity level and ability to discipline yourself toward a degree track.

There are "veteran friendly" schools that have counselors that may be able to provide some assistance. From your post, it looks as if your first priority is to use transfer credit, then get started onto a viable degree path, and ultimately pursue AT/PTA/ or PT by the end of it. If that is your goal, then break it down step by step and start your path, despite the age that you will be at the end of it. I mean, you can either finish young, or you can pursue a field that you'll work in for the rest of your life. Both have positive and negative consequences.

Find a mentor. Find the person that does what it is that you can really see yourself doing for life and learn their story. None of us has a straight path directly to success, but we all have a story to tell. I decided to become a PT when I was a 21 y/o HM3. It took me 7 years to get there, and 19 to earn a terminal degree. I wouldn't change any of it because I did the things I needed to do at the time in my life they needed to be done. There are those that are younger that got "there" sooner, but it doesn't matter. Each person's story is their own, but I did have a few good mentors along the way. It helps.

Hope this helps--!
Thank you so much for the reply, You have definitely opened my eyes to the opportunities that are available to me and I am slowly but surely realizing that everyone is on their own time when It comes to certain situations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Forgive me in advance if I have posted in the wrong forum, admins please remove if necessary. A little about myself before I ask a few questions from current students and/or certified PT's. I enlisted in the Navy when I was 18 years old, Im currently 22 and am nearing the end of my contract, so obviously the discussion of school has come up. Although I am nearing the end of my service, what I would like to pursue has been on my mind for almost two years now.
I have very few college credits from military training and attending a few courses while on deployment but I am still able to apply as a transfer student. I have been looking at accelerated programs at some colleges for example (Sacred Heart University). But I have been told that these program are very difficult to get transfer students into, and while PT sparks my interest Im having anxiety about being in school for so long. By the time I graduate and get all of my certifications I will be at least 30 years old.
So to kind of get to the point I was curious if there are any other options besides becoming a physical therapist where I could still incorporate medicine and sports in my daily work routine? I looked at AT's, but the job market scares me and the beginning wages do not look too pleasing. Any help would be much appreciated and apologies once more If I have posted in the wrong topic!

Thank you.

I am a military serviceman coming to the end of his contract as well. However, I finished my degree using Tuition Assistance and the money from my pocket. I am surprised you didn't take advantage of TA for your 4 or 6 year contract. A free 4,500 goes a long way (18,000 for 4 years and 27,000 for 6 years). I have been a trainer and you will work long hours. Depending on the environment you may be working split shifts as well, not getting paid that much. Your best bet is to go to a junior college and finish up you degree or at least get as far as you can without going to a university. Save you GI Bill, it is 52,000 towards your program of choice. Additionally, BAH will go a long way. If you aren't ready to get out, why not extend your contract 2 to 4 years (you get 1 extension per enlistment) and finish your degree. No one here will understand your situation unless they have served in the U.S. Military and I don't mean to offend people here but that is just fact.

The military is a tough environment to deal with, you put up with a lot of bull****. However, if you can finish your degree with an extension then you will be set on the right path towards PT school. Give up partying (if you do that), give up some of your social life and crack down on school. Get all A's or B's and set the tone for PT school. Time management is key, so getting your job done while focusing on school will take some time. I was able to complete 32 college credits in a semester by using time management. Another 2 to 4 years won't hurt you, you will have chance to save money for school, so that you don't have to take a high loan. I am 33 and going to PT school in the fall, 30 isn't old. However, leaving the military right now with the opportunity for free education by the military is a big mistake in my opinion.

Your other option is to apply to a 3+3 school. Your military resume should put you well above the rest, all you have to do is maintain a 3.3ish GPA through undergraduate to guarantee a spot in DPT. However, the cost will be significantly hire and you will tap out of your GI Bill before you make it to the DPT program.
 
I was in a similar situation as you... I got out of the Army when I was 23 and wanted to go to PT school, but had the same fears as you. I also had a little bit of college credit. I dove into the college experience head on and finished my bachelors in 2.5 years, and now I am in the process of applying to PT school. If I get accepted, I'll be 29 when I graduate. Not too bad considering I'll be working for another 30+ years. In order to finish my bachelor's so quick, I enrolled in 17+ credit hours a semester, did not work since I was getting the housing allowance, chose a major that was fairly easy (psychology), received federal education funding (pell grant), and I also received unemployment benefits for 6 months after I got out. I also paid for a few semesters out of pocket in order to save some of my post 9/11 GI Bill for PT school. Because I did all of that, most of PT school will continue to be paid for using my benefits. This is what I did, and it has worked for me.

I know how you feel... but honestly being 30 when your done is NOT that old. All you have to do is keep your eye on the prize. It will all be worth it in the end. You'll be 30 and have a doctorate degree, have served in the military, travelled across the world, and will have a hell of lot more life experience than some other people at the same age.

Have you shadowed a PT at all? You should try to get in at the hospital on your current base.

Good luck!!