Military Veteran with 3.3 sGPA and 3.35 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will my military time in the infantry look negatively on my application?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely Not

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Quit Being Paranoid

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

stutters87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've read a bunch of the threads on here and figure I should post my little story also to gauge my chances of being accepted into a med school.

GPA and MCAT:
3.3 sGPA
3.35 cGPA
-The first year and a half to 2 years after leaving the Marine Corps I had a much rougher transition than I expected and my grades freshman and sophomore year was a mix of a few A's with a lot of B's and some C+'s. The last year and a half though I have a 3.78 GPA so I think that classifies as trending well (correct me if I'm wrong please)
MCAT: 34 (11 ps, 11 v, 12 bs)

EC's:
-Served 5 years active duty in the Marine Corps infantry, this includes combat deployments to Iraq.
-Given an award for leadership and conduct during combat operations in Iraq
-Honorable discharge from the Marine Corps
-Working as an EMT for over a year now and by the time I apply I will have probably 2000-2500 hours of patient care experience
-Worked in sterile supply and the operating rooms at a Level 1 trauma hospital handling all the sterile surgical tools used in the surgeries
-Volunteer with the Red Cross, mostly with the first aid team providing first aid for events. By the time applying will probably have around 200 hours volunteering
-Approximately 50+ hours shadowing a Gastrointestinal Oncology MD and an Emergency Medicine DO. Both of whom I am close to (the MD is my mother's oncologist and the DO is my medical director) and they have both agreed to write me LOR's.
-Unfortunately no research, I have been much much more committed to the patient care part of medicine than research. That is not me saying research is not important because I definitely understand research is absolutely vital (one of the main reasons my mother is still alive with pancreatic cancer)

My Questions For You:
-So I know my GPA's are low but I am wondering with everything else are they too low. I've been reading on here that a lot of people would consider them good for DO schools and I am certainly applying to them but what about MD programs.
-Does the no research hurt me a lot?
-Am I hoping I have a chance too much just based off my EC's?
-I've heard schools look at the military as a huge plus, is that exactly true?

My Silly Question For You:
-I'm afraid that schools may look at my military experience as a negative because I was in the infantry (which if you do not know the infantry is the main fighting force of the military) and my main job for 5 years was learning how to and becoming proficient at, for a lack of better terms, killing. I served honorably and my brothers and I fought bravely but that time is why I have chosen healthcare because that time of my life is over and behind me (a major theme of my personal statement). Am I being silly for thinking this may have a negative aspect?

Sorry this is so long but I value any and all opinions! Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I am a fourth year at an MD program and a Marine Vet myself. My GPA was a little better but my MCAT wasn't as good. I think your background and your MCAT will help schools look past the GPA. If you are really concerned, look into taking a post bac program but since I am on my schools admissions committee, I think I can say with confidence that you will at least get some interviews. Med schools are moving towards a holistic approach to screening applicants so life experience is a plus.

And yes, you are silly for thinking your service will be a negative. If a school takes it as a negative, you don't want to be there anyway.

Semper Fi devil,

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I've read a bunch of the threads on here and figure I should post my little story also to gauge my chances of being accepted into a med school.

GPA and MCAT:
3.3 sGPA
3.35 cGPA
-The first year and a half to 2 years after leaving the Marine Corps I had a much rougher transition than I expected and my grades freshman and sophomore year was a mix of a few A's with a lot of B's and some C+'s. The last year and a half though I have a 3.78 GPA so I think that classifies as trending well (correct me if I'm wrong please)

EC's:
-Served 5 years active duty in the Marine Corps infantry, this includes combat deployments to Iraq.
-Working as an EMT for over a year now and by the time I apply I will have probably 2000-2500 hours of patient care experience
-Worked in sterile supply and the operating rooms at a Level 1 trauma hospital handling all the sterile surgical tools used in the surgeries
-Volunteer with the Red Cross, mostly with the first aid team providing first aid for events. By the time applying will probably have around 200 hours volunteering
-Approximately 50+ hours shadowing a Gastrointestinal Oncology MD and an Emergency Medicine DO. Both of whom I am close to (the MD is my mother's oncologist and the DO is my medical director) and they have both agreed to write me LOR's.
-Unfortunately no research, I have been much much more committed to the patient care part of medicine than research. That is not me saying research is not important because I definitely understand research is absolutely vital (one of the main reasons my mother is still alive with pancreatic cancer)

My Questions For You:
1) -So I know my GPA's are low but I am wondering with everything else are they too low. I've been reading on here that a lot of people would consider them good for DO schools and I am certainly applying to them but what about MD programs.
2) -Does the no research hurt me a lot?
3) -Am I hoping I have a chance too much just based off my EC's?
4) -I've heard schools look at the military as a huge plus, is that exactly true?

-I'm afraid that schools may look at my military experience as a negative because I was in the infantry (which if you do not know the infantry is the main fighting force of the military) and my main job for 5 years was learning how to and becoming proficient at, for a lack of better terms, killing. I served honorably and my brothers and I fought bravely but that time is why I have chosen healthcare because that time of my life is over and behind me (a major theme of my personal statement).
5) Am I being silly for thinking this may have a negative aspect?

1) With your steep upward grade trend, strong MCAT score, and rich life experiences, I think you have a chance at both DO and MD, despite the subpar GPAs.

2) No, as your other strong experiences more than compensate for its lack.

3) No. Your year-by-year stats make it clear you have the potential to succeed in med school.

4) It is exactly true. Adcomms in general have a soft spot for ex-military.

5) It depends on what you said about it.

GPA and MCAT:
3.3 sGPA
3.35 cGPA

EC's:

My Questions For You:
-So I know my GPA's are low but I am wondering with everything else are they too low. I've been reading on here that a lot of people would consider them good for DO schools and I am certainly applying to them but what about MD programs.

-I'm afraid that schools may look at my military experience as a negative because I was in the infantry (which if you do not know the infantry is the main fighting force of the military) and my main job for 5 years was learning how to and becoming proficient at, for a lack of better terms, killing. I served honorably and my brothers and I fought bravely but that time is why I have chosen healthcare because that time of my life is over and behind me (a major theme of my personal statement). Am I being silly for thinking this may have a negative aspect?

Your military experience will be considered a huge asset at most institutions. I had low numbers and ended up with acceptances to several MD schools. Ensure you still do the other "required" experiences - shadow and volunteer, write your essays well to explain what you have to offer and I think you will do great. I am currently an MSII (at a top 10 private MD program - I think the rating is completely useless only pointing out that MD programs at all levels are recruiting military) and I have interviewed a number of military applicants this year and I know that they look for military veterans to add to each class. Good luck.

First off, many thanks to you for your service to your country. I'm prejudiced because I have a very favorable view of veterans. You have both maturity and didication, and this, combined with your excellent MCAT, outstanding ECs, and great rising trend, will, I believe, more than counter the lower than avg GPAs.

So quit fussing and get your apps ready for both MD and DO. My school will gladly take you!

You have demonstrated that your have the academic skills to make it in medical school

This will not be an issue. Besides, UC Berkeley doesn't have a medical school.

Apply broadly and early to MD schools and you'll probably get into at least a couple places. Throw in a few DOs as backups and you'll be set.
Some of the more non-trad and veteran friendly schools out there: Tulane, UCF, USF, UC-Denver, UW-Madison, VCU, EVMS, RFU, CWRU, Vermont, Albany.

Hey thanks everyone, this makes me more confident going into the application cycle. I guess I was really just concerned that I was potentially over-banking that my military experience and my experience as an EMT would make me competitive despite my sub-GPA at MD schools. It's nice to know that despite the sub-GPA I still have a decent chance. Now I have to get everything ready!

Going off of what alpinism said, does anyone know of any other veteran/non-trad schools? I heard Drexel is one (or one of the Philadelphia schools), is that true?

I'm doing my undergrad at The Ohio State University (yes it only feels natural to put the The in there), does the fact that my undergrad was at a hard school factor into the minds of adcomms when they look at my GPA? Or am I wrong for thinking OSU is considered a hard school haha? (sorry that that doesn't really fit completely with this forum)

Thanks again guys, the help is greatly appreciated!

1) does anyone know of any other veteran/non-trad schools?

2) does the fact that my undergrad was at a hard school factor into the minds of adcomms when they look at my GPA?
1) East Tennessee State U (Quillen) is also veteran-friendly.

2) Many med schools calculate in an adjustment factor for the relative difficulty of an undergrad institution.

OSU is generally considered middle of the road in terms of difficulty. That being said it is a very well respected school.

Thank you for serving :) I also had a rough transition for the first year or two (came close to flunking out) with an upward trend. Many schools to which I applied seemed to look favorably on prior service, and that will probably help along with the upward trend (state schools seemed particularly military-friendly when I was interviewing). Send me a pm if you want to talk more :)

I think you're going to be fine. Your MCAT score should offset concern about your GPA in light of your upward trend.
Your Veteran status will help you throughout your career.
Many people like Vets and of course we take care of our own.;)

Dear fellow battle, thx for your greatest service including deployment as an infantry.. I can't imagine anything more thanksful than being an Infantry. they are the flower of military for sure!

Congrat on your great MCAT scores and every great ECs...

Good luck with GI Bill..hopefully we can fine some schools that can be fully or almost fully covered the tuition!!

In the military, we are all brothers and sisters.

Good luck, brother!

Reactions: 1 user
by the way, I mistakenly click 'yes' on the vote ...so 1 vote of yes is me.. and it's mistake!!!! so don't count that one :)

Just wanted to say thank you for your service. I wish you the best of luck when applying----the thing is, I don't think you'll be needing it. Apply broadly and make sure to use your vet status and experiences to your fullest in your essays and interviews. It will do you great credit.