Mills College Post Baccalaureate 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRoseFromConcrete

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a forum for those applying to the Mills College Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program in 2018. I've seen past threads for the Mills Post Bacc, but none for this year. If you're applying, where are you from? If you went to visit the campus, did you like it? Any concerns about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not recommend. It's expensive and the very good professors and key advisor who had many contacts to medical schools left for another position at Berkeley extension. The school is also having financial issues. I would recommend doing the SF state postbac which is less expensive and more flexible.

I would not recommend. It's expensive and the very good professors and key advisor who had many contacts to medical schools left for another position at Berkeley extension. The school is also having financial issues. I would recommend doing the SF state postbac which is less expensive and more flexible.

Does this mean UCBx will be a good idea. The extension is lot cheaper than other options in bay area. Do you know the professors/advisors name you are referring to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean UCBx will be a good idea. The extension is lot cheaper than other options in bay area. Do you know the professors/advisors name you are referring to?
UCBx is still developing their program but it's definitely getting better. One benefit with UCBx is that you can work full time or part time and still do their classes. Also if you dont like the teaching style of one professor theres usually always another one that teaches the same course. However, it does require much more independence since there isnt much hand holding lIke what classes you need to take, what to expect during the application process, etc. If you prefer more guidance sf state is good and low cost. I have many friends who completed the program and got into good medical schools right after. More and more Mills students have been taking a year off just to prepare for the MCAT because aside from classes, lab, studying, and homework (which I remember was a lot and mostly busywork), Mills did not give time to study and prepare for the mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
UCBx is still developing their program but it's definitely getting better. One benefit with UCBx is that you can work full time or part time and still do their classes. Also if you dont like the teaching style of one professor theres usually always another one that teaches the same course. However, it does require much more independence since there isnt much hand holding lIke what classes you need to take, what to expect during the application process, etc. If you prefer more guidance sf state is good and low cost. I have many friends who completed the program and got into good medical schools right after. More and more Mills students have been taking a year off just to prepare for the MCAT because aside from classes, lab, studying, and homework (which I remember was a lot and mostly busywork), Mills did not give time to study and prepare for the mcat.
Thanks a lot for replying. Being 2 years course length, I assumed one will have enough time to prep for MCAT. It is crazy Mills postbacc students need lot more time. That makes it 4 years with application gap year which is way too long for me. Being non-trad, I want it most efficient way, I will start taking courses from UCBx with full time job to see how much I can handle and then I will decide to switch to formal Post bacc from there.

Thanks a lot for replying. Being 2 years course length, I assumed one will have enough time to prep for MCAT. It is crazy Mills postbacc students need lot more time. That makes it 4 years with application gap year which is way too long for me. Being non-trad, I want it most efficient way, I will start taking courses from UCBx with full time job to see how much I can handle and then I will decide to switch to formal Post bacc from there.
No worries. Things have changed quite a bit for Mills and I think most of the layoffs, politics started when I attended. After I completed the program, I hear it's gotten worse from people I know who had just finished the program or are still attending. Their operating deficit is more than $9 million which is concerning and it has lead to many layoffs and resulted to changes in the curriculum (which was not for the best). Basically they were cutting costs where they could meanwhile tuition continued to increase for us. I say save up the money instead of attending Mills, which is one of my regrets now seeing how I have outstanding loans for Mills and seeing the cost for medical school. If you're pretty independent and proactive UCBx will do just fine. For UCBx, just be sure to take in-person classes when they offer online vs. classroom options. Just because some medical programs do not accept online classes.