Jan 15, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
I've found that a lot of schools list as their minimum requirements:
2 semesters of Biology with Lab
or
1 year of Biology (with lab)
or
3 quarters of Biological sciences and Lab

Does that mean that along with 3 quarters of Biology lecture, I have to take 3 quarters of Biology lab?
I've found the same theme in General Chemistry as well as Organic chemistry and it has me confused.

Reactions: 1 user

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I've found that a lot of schools list as their minimum requirements:
2 semesters of Biology with Lab
or
1 year of Biology (with lab)
or
3 quarters of Biological sciences and Lab

Does that mean that along with 3 quarters of Biology lecture, I have to take 3 quarters of Biology lab?
I've found the same theme in General Chemistry as well as Organic chemistry and it has me confused.
It depends on your school . When I was in the community college , Gen chemistry 1 was 4.0 class with lab - so that’s 1 semester of lab . When I transferred to university , gen chem 2 wS a 3,0 lecture with 1.0 lab offered if u want . So I had to enroll into both . So by then I had 1 year of labs . Does it make sense ?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
Medical schools want to see that you have had both the lecture aspects and the lab aspects of a course. It is irrelevant if the lecture and lab are under a single course or if the are separate course. Additionally a year means by whatever system your school uses, be it 3 quarters or 2 semesters. Also, this requirement can be meet across schools. For example, you could take 3 quarters of physics at your home school but take 2 semesters of physics lab as say a different school in the summer. I will also add that since some medical schools specifically ask for introductory/general biology, chem etc and that students need to be able to apply to the broadest array of schools, the "basic" prereqs should be as below. I am also including very common additional requirements / recommendation that should be considered part of this standard. Again this set is so you can meet requirements at virtually all medical schools. I emphasis this because you start as a freshman with this course work, not knowing 3 years later which medical schools you may want/need to apply to

1 year introductory/general biology lecture (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year introductory/general biology lab (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year introductory/general chemistry lecture (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year introductory/general chemistry lab (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year introductory/general physics lecture (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year introductory/general physics lab (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year organic chemistry lecture (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year organic chemistry lab (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 course introductory/general biochemistry
1 year English (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year Math/Statistics (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year advanced biology lecture (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 year advanced biology lab (3 quarters or 2 semesters)
1 term psychology/ social science
1 term sociology / social science

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.