Minn (oos) vs Penn (Oos)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittyKat88

Reaction score
I’d appreciate any input into this decision. Cost isn’t an issue and both are far from home. I want to be a general dentist, so want the best clinical experience I can get. I also want a collegial environment with classmates. Also admin that are helpful and want students to succeed, not make things harder for them.

Any suggestions on which would be better for me?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience with UMN from the interview and tour, I felt a lot at home and the faculty were extremely kind and the students said there was very little competition. Unsure about Penn, but Minn and Minneapolis are great place to be! I hope to be a part of your class!

Thanks for the reply! So you have committed to UMN? That is exciting! I like everything I know about it, except the lack of digital dentistry there. Does this concern you at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I submitted my deposit yesterday.

It doesn’t concern me at all, if anything I’ll learn quickly in private practice or I’ll take CE credits to catch up. I think they’re transitioning though so we may see it when we get to training

I’d appreciate any input into this decision. Cost isn’t an issue and both are far from home. I want to be a general dentist, so want the best clinical experience I can get. I also want a collegial environment with classmates. Also admin that are helpful and want students to succeed, not make things harder for them.

Any suggestions on which would be better for me?
cheaper

aka, not UPenn...

Minnesota out of state does appear to be super expensive.

Philly and University City are more expensive than Minneapolis, but Philly has good public transit so you don’t need a car and soooo many other graduate schools and young professionals around. The “prestige” of Penn is only useful if you were specializing or change your mind. Less snow in Philly.

Think about what matters to you in terms of location for 4 years. I can’t comment on whose students are happier with their administration. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I believe UMN OOS tuition is outrageous and is probably almost the same as Penn. I'd choose PENN for the P/F system and it won't be as cold as Minnesota in the winter lol...

Reactions: 1 user
P/F systems for dental schools are heavenly! I have only heard great things about them. All Pass/Fail Schools that I have heard about are more laid back and collaborative (they don't feel competitive). The UofM isn't P/F, so you typically have a mix of people that are "gunners" and people that are collaborative. In the UofM, you should be able to find a group that will be more collaborative, especially if they know that you want to be a general dentist too. You will assist your D1 year (not very often). Your D2 year, in the springtime, you'll start to see 1-2 patients a month doing very general procedures or cleanings. In the UofM, you really don't start seeing patients until your D3 year (like most schools). And your D4 year, you will typically see 1-2 patients daily. They also have a mandatory outreach program for your D4 year for four-eight weeks (this is where you'll see the most amount of patients). I am not sure what the clinical side for UPENN looks like.

I have heard MANY horror stories of professors on the clinical side and sim-lab not being the friendliest to students in the UofM. Professors destroying wax-ups that students have spent hours working on. Making students feel like they aren't the smartest in the sim lab and students leaving the sim lab in tears. And professors grade things; differently, you could have the same exact prep, and one professor will say that it is perfect, and another professor giving you a failing grade. A few professors take pride in that they grade with high standards, which isn't a bad thing. I have also heard professors being very friendly and helpful too! You will kinda get the luck of the draw based on where your seat is.

I believe UMN OOS tuition is outrageous and is probably almost the same as Penn. I'd choose PENN for the P/F system and it won't be as cold as Minnesota in the winter lol...

Penn is not P/F but yeah, Penn is the much better choice than Minnesota because they’re similar price for OOS