Minn vs. UCI and UMaryland Poll Correction!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yOUkNOWtHIS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go???

Members don't see this ad.

People, please tell me why UMN get no love?

Members don't see this ad :)
People, please tell me why UMN gets no love?

If you haven't voted, please vote!

Reactions: 1 user
•••quote:•••Originally posted by yOUkNOWtHIS:
•People, please tell me why UMN gets no love?•••••because you aren't taking into consideration that the majority of the pple on this board are californias...as such they will chose a californian school...

I honestly, don't think for you or anyone else, that you can get an "objective viewpoint"....it isn't odd for californian students to pick their UC schools due to family, and weather over a school for the midwest...so I think your results are somewhat skewed....on the other hand, had we more MN residents....don't you think they would have prefered UofM for family reasons as well?

ur playing a statistics game, and this is my opinion so I hope you don't get flamed...

californian population > than MN population.....

:p

•People, please tell me why UMN get no love?•••••apparently pple are starting to show some luvin

Keep it comin'. Thanks for the advice.

where are you from? In addition to family/friends being a factor, tuition is huge (I know...it's torn my guts out in deciding)! If you are from Cali, and if I were you, I would choose UCI in a milisecond. Personally, I don't think that the actual numbers on those particular polls matter all that much. And think about where you want to end up for residency. If you want to come back to Cali (assuming that you are from here), then UCI will definately give you an advantage. Though the other schools, may, in particular polls be ranked higher, it is not significant enough, IMHO, to give you an edge in coming back to Cali for residency or practice. UCI, being in California, does give you that advantage. Good luck :)

I'm from Cali. But here's the only flaw in your reasoning. While I do admittedly have a better chance at securing a California residency from a UC school like Irvine, the California residencies most students get into are not very strong programs. Many of them are VA programs and such. Really only the top 10-15% of the class goes to a quality Cali school like UCSF, UCLA, UCSD or Stanford. Most just end up staying at UCI. Minnesota on the other hand, places its students into prestigious residency programs all over the nation. Recent year's matches include Harvard, Hopkins and of course, nearly 10-15% of each class is accepted at Mayo for residency. With that in mind, I might not have as good a chance at securing a California residency coming out of Minnesota, but if I do it will be at a quality California school, or at a quality school. Would like to hear your take on this issue. Oh, and by the by, Minnesota has provided scholarships that cancels out any real advantage UCI holds in terms of in-state tuition. The final cost of medical school either way is really comparable. So don't let that be a concern in your retort. Thanks.

People staying at UCI isn't a bad thing! It represents people actually like the institution and the related hospitals.

Hey Youknowthis, I'm also from CA and will be going to U of MN for med school in the fall. UC schools are great and I would love to stay here in CA, but as of now, I'm only waitlisted at two UC's. Don't know how that will work out. In any case, MN is a great school and if you choose to go there, I'll see you around in a few months! Good luck deciding!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where have you been wait-listed? Assuming you got into UC-Irvine, I'll assume that's one of the schools, and you had to choose between UCI and UMN where would you matriculate and why? What are the advantages of each school? And what would be the deciding factor in your mind?

Does anyone know why the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is ranked so highly, #15, in the Gourman Report/Princeton Review rankings, but as low as #36 in the US News rankings? What is the criterion used? Thanks.

so which one did u end up picking?

I think it seems like you already know where you wanna go.

•I'm from Cali. But here's the only flaw in your reasoning. While I do admittedly have a better chance at securing a California residency from a UC school like Irvine, the California residencies most students get into are not very strong programs. Many of them are VA programs and such. Really only the top 10-15% of the class goes to a quality Cali school like UCSF, UCLA, UCSD or Stanford. Most just end up staying at UCI. Minnesota on the other hand, places its students into prestigious residency programs all over the nation. Recent year's matches include Harvard, Hopkins and of course, nearly 10-15% of each class is accepted at Mayo for residency. With that in mind, I might not have as good a chance at securing a California residency coming out of Minnesota, but if I do it will be at a quality California school, or at a quality school. Would like to hear your take on this issue. Oh, and by the by, Minnesota has provided scholarships that cancels out any real advantage UCI holds in terms of in-state tuition. The final cost of medical school either way is really comparable. So don't let that be a concern in your retort. Thanks.•••••There are a couple of flaws in your reasoning.
The reason that so many UCI grads match in california is not that they cannot match out of state, its just that they don't want to leave california. Why would they? California is the greatest state in the nation, and everyone wants to live here anyway.

There are also other factors, many people are married at UCI, and have families at the time of graduation. They may not want to leave, for many possible reasons.

Minnesota on the other hand, while it is a very good medical school, is not a nice place to live. Winter lasts about 9 months and in summer it is really hot and let me tell you, you have never seen bugs till you have seen minnesota in July!
So people are happy to get the hell out of there, and go to the east.

UCI may not be as well known, currently, but that should change over the next few years as the admin encourages people to match at top out of state schools. I guess we can always come back to cali after residency...

Good luck at minnesota though!

Well, I'm afraid I'm not going to help them much with that as I'm personally doing whatever it takes to stay in CA for residency and that certainly includes heading back to Fresno.

Thanks for the all the input, I really do appreciate hearing everyone's opinions. You do make some excellent points that I have taken into consideration. While I do believe UCI is a great school, and it is in California, I have decided to attend the University of Minnesota Medical School. They have offered me more than $40,000 in scholarships over the four years, making the out-of-state tuition difference negligible. No matter how cold it gets, I can always bundle up in my scholarship money. Take care and best of luck to you all.

Minnesota on the other hand, while it is a very good medical school, is not a nice place to live. Winter lasts about 9 months and in summer it is really hot and let me tell you, you have never seen bugs till you have seen minnesota in July! So people are happy to get the hell out of there, and go to the east.

UCI may not be as well known, currently, but that should change over the next few years as the admin encourages people to match at top out of state schools. I guess we can always come back to cali after residency...

Good luck at minnesota though![/QB][/QUOTE]

The bug problems in Downtown Minneapolis is quite minimal... :rolleyes:

I went to and graduated from Minnesota's medical school. The university is fine, great instuctors, and I don't have any complaints about the program. Minneapolis in the winter can be somewhat brutal, but most of that is overexaggerated by people who are used to 80 degrees every day (ie. San Diego, etc..). LEts face it, your indoors most of your life at Med school anyways... Spring and Summers were great and there is plenty to to in the Twin Cities.

After leaving U of MN, great things followed for me. But this is just my two cents.

Thanks for your post Royal, I'm really looking forward to medical school in Minnesota. I don't know anyone from Minneapolis or from the medical school itself, so any ADVICE about the school or its program would be MUCH APPRECIATED. Hearing it from a former student who has been through the process would be great! Thanks so much for your time and best of luck with everything.

Also, where do you recommend living on campus as a first year medical student? And, why? Thanks.

Is Seven Corners a nice place to live in Minneapolis? How does the neighborhood compare to Dinkytown and Stadium Village?

•Also, where do you recommend living on campus as a first year medical student? And, why? Thanks.•••••i'm gonna live in a med frat. cheap housing and free parking.