Minnesota C/O 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleWiz

Transitioning..
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've made a thread for Minnesota C/O 2015!

Welcome all!

My name's Mary. I'm an OOS applicant :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! Good luck to you both and everyone else who applied! :luck:

Feel free to ask or PM me if you have any questions at all. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Helloo!
I am also an OOS :) I was waiting for a thread to be started, so THANKS!!!

Also OOS and keeping fingers and toes crossed!:xf::luck:

I'm OOS too! The thought of braving multiple Minnesota winters is intimidating but the program looks amazing and I have some family nearby. :cool:

I'm another OOSer here! I currently have MN on the backburner though since I don't think interview invites go out until January. I will start stressing about an interview invite from them much closer to the time!

I'm an OOS applicant Minnesota too! Although, I went to undergrad in the twin cities and my fiancee is a born and raised Minnesotan - so UMn is high on my list.

Does anyone know if Minnesota lets you become a resident (for tuition) after your first year? I feel like I have a pretty good case - my fiancee and I only left Minnesota to pursue education (it just happened that our graduate school required us to become local residents). Even if I don't get into vet school, we might head back to Minnesota. If you can't tell, I love the twin cities, winter and all :D.

I'm an OOS applicant Minnesota too! Although, I went to undergrad in the twin cities and my fiancee is a born and raised Minnesotan - so UMn is high on my list.

Does anyone know if Minnesota lets you become a resident (for tuition) after your first year? I feel like I have a pretty good case - my fiancee and I only left Minnesota to pursue education (it just happened that our graduate school required us to become local residents). Even if I don't get into vet school, we might head back to Minnesota. If you can't tell, I love the twin cities, winter and all :D.

Welcome everyone! :)

I'll see if I can send Tiktaalik in to answer this for you (he's going through the process right now).

From what I understand, it is possible. You have to jump through some hoops, but a lot of people are able to do it.

I'm IS, so I'm not all that educated on the process... I wish I could help more!

Just FYI, Minnesota will be interviewing IS applicants on Thursdays and OOS applicants on Fridays and Saturdays on Jan. 27-29, Feb. 3-5 and Feb. 10-12 this cycle.

Elliepants and I will both be student ambassadors, so hopefully we'll see you all there! :luck:

Just FYI, Minnesota will be interviewing IS applicants on Thursdays and OOS applicants on Fridays and Saturdays on Jan. 27-29, Feb. 3-5 and Feb. 10-12 this cycle.

Elliepants and I will both be student ambassadors, so hopefully we'll see you all there! :luck:

Thanks for the info! Any idea when the invites start going out? I thought maybe the beginning of January, but figured I would ask anyway :)

Thanks for the info! Any idea when the invites start going out? I thought maybe the beginning of January, but figured I would ask anyway :)

I believe I got mine last year in mid-January. Elliepants?

ETA: Looked it up: via e-mail on Jan. 11. Everyone got their invite on the same day. The previous year, it was Jan. 12. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
ETA: Looked it up: via e-mail on Jan. 11. Everyone got their invite on the same day. The previous year, it was Jan. 12. Hope that helps!

I just looked, those two dates were the 2nd Mondays in January. Based on that, we can expect them to send email invites Jan 10, 2011!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, parietal!

Zumazoom, let's hope we both get good news on Jan. 10!! :xf::xf:

Yes! I hope we'll see you all there.

I love SDNers :)!

How exciting to maybe get to meet both of you! Now I really better get an interview!

But I am also glad that I can keep this off my radar until January... I've got another interview, up to three schools notifying of admission/rejection, and maybe another interview two invites to still worry about getting/not getting this month. If I don't explode from anxiety from those, I'm pretty sure worrying about getting an invite from Mn this month would tip me over!

I should have plenty of room to stress about a Jan 10th invite by then!:eek:

Thanks for the info everyone!

Someone had to bump this thread - CONGRATULATIONS!! to everyone who got interview invites today!! :soexcited::highfive:

I got an interview invite :D!! I accepted of course, but my main concern is the weather... I'm from southern California and hate the cold!! :laugh:

I got an interview invite :D!! I accepted of course, but my main concern is the weather... I'm from southern California and hate the cold!! :laugh:

Congratulations! I'll be interviewing, too... hoping for the last weekend, as I'm still waiting on three schools and there could be a potential conflict. :xf:

Anyone know what their interview/acceptance ratio is? I am kind of floored by this... I wasn't thrilled with my VMCAS PS, and assumed that MN would take a total pass on me (since they don't do the supplemental thing), so I haven't been obsessing over their stats the way I have some of the others'.

So excited! I have family quasi-nearby, and they have an awesome program... not to mention, my cat's radiologist is a U of MN grad, and she is phenomenal. :D

I just wanted to say congrats to all those that got interview invites today!!! I got a "no" from MN, but I am very thankful for the other interviews I did get.

Now ya'll go rock those interviews, and good luck! :):luck:

Congrats to everyone with invites! :D

We have a LOT of Californians in our class, and they are all surviving winter quite nicely. It's all a matter of layers, long underwear and acclimation. :D

Congrats to everyone getting interview invites today! I will likely be declining my interview, but it is a really hard thing for me to do as there are so many things I think I would love about UMn! Going to do some serious soul searching in the next few days before making up my mind by Monday... this has been a crazy and intense application cycle for me, that's for sure!

Good luck on interviews, everyone!

Congrats to everyone getting interview invites today! I will likely be declining my interview, but it is a really hard thing for me to do as there are so many things I think I would love about UMn! Going to do some serious soul searching in the next few days before making up my mind by Monday... this has been a crazy and intense application cycle for me, that's for sure!

Good luck on interviews, everyone!

Come and interview! See the school and meet the students before you decide. I can't tell you how many OOSers in my class nearly declined their interview but decided to check out the school and :love: it so much they choose it over their IS or previous first choice...

Come and interview! See the school and meet the students before you decide. I can't tell you how many OOSers in my class nearly declined their interview but decided to check out the school and :love: it so much they choose it over their IS or previous first choice...

That is exactly what I keep worrying about!:D I'm worried that if I don't go I won't know what I am missing out on, and I am worried that if I do go I will fall in such love that I will want to go there! I really do want to go and check it out for myself, but I don't want to feel like I am taking an opportunity away from someone that doesn't have other options:(. I never thought an interview offer would make me this conflicted! Minnesota was very high on my original list...

That is exactly what I keep worrying about!:D I'm worried that if I don't go I won't know what I am missing out on, and I am worried that if I do go I will fall in such love that I will want to go there! I really do want to go and check it out for myself, but I don't want to feel like I am taking an opportunity away from someone that doesn't have other options:(. I never thought an interview offer would make me this conflicted! Minnesota was very high on my original list...

As it should be! :D

I don't think you will be taking an opportunity away. I don't think Minnesota waitlists people for interviews: you either get one or you don't. :(

So you should come and be sure. :) Plus if you come on one of the two weekends I am in town, I will treat you to a Starbucks or something. :)

That is exactly what I keep worrying about!:D I'm worried that if I don't go I won't know what I am missing out on, and I am worried that if I do go I will fall in such love that I will want to go there!

Me too, but my worries are based more around how dang expensive tuition will be for me OOS. I've been accepted to Ohio which will cost over 50k less, but I suspect I would love MN but just not want to deal with the extra loans. :(

Me too, but my worries are based more around how dang expensive tuition will be for me OOS. I've been accepted to Ohio which will cost over 50k less, but I suspect I would love MN but just not want to deal with the extra loans. :(

You can gain in state tuition after a year, from what I've heard :).

Hello! I would like to say "congratulations" to everyone who got an interview offer and "don't give up" to those who didn't. We all know what an emotional rollercoaster the application process is but for those of us who truly love veterinary medicine it will be worth every second.

I probably haven't done enough research on the interview process because I have a bunch of questions! Are the interview statistics from this year or last year posted somewhere? What is the best way to prepare for the interview? I know it is a behavioral based interview, but is there a list of specific questions I can mull over ahead of time? How many interviewers are there?

Thanks for your time everyone! And remember...
"To accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France

You can gain in state tuition after a year, from what I've heard :).

It's not likely. I just spend ten minutes on the phone talking about this with the woman who handles residency issues. You have to live in MN for a year and not be taking classes to be get it, otherwise there are a bunch of little things you can try to help your case if you appeal after one year. You can PM me if you want more details.

It's not likely. I just spend ten minutes on the phone talking about this with the woman who handles residency issues. You have to live in MN for a year and not be taking classes to be get it, otherwise there are a bunch of little things you can try to help your case if you appeal after one year. You can PM me if you want more details.

I think one of the things that helps an OOS become IS is to work for a year in that specific state, but I could have that wrong. If I were OOS I would still come for the interview and the tour regardless of tuition costs. For my undergraduate I toured at least 5 or 6 schools and one of them just felt like home. Minnesota could be that school for you. You never know unless look around campus. Yeah it might cost more, maybe even only for the first year, but if it's someplace that you will be happy living, its worth it!

KonKat: the interviews are behavioral in nature. Many past questions can be found at http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/umn-vet/survey/33 . Be sure to expand the "Questions" section at the bottom.

It is difficult, but as I understand it from previous classes, it is possible. As others have explained it to me, it helps immensely if you are willing to work part-time outside of the university, buy a house, or have a spouse who can become gainfully employed here as soon as possible.

A lot of OOSers in my class are working towards residency at the end of the year, but we don't know yet how many will be successful.

Good luck!

KonKat: the interviews are behavioral in nature. Many past questions can be found at http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/umn-vet/survey/33 . Be sure to expand the "Questions" section at the bottom.

Parietal,
Whenever I go to that link to look at the questions it says that the results have been blocked by the school. I was wondering if there were questions posted on another website? I've looked at some of the questions posted for other schools but it seems that the questions tend to be specific at each school. The other information on that website is very helpful.
Thanks!

Question: Can you gain residency if your wife works full-time in minnesota while you go to vet school??

Parietal,
Whenever I go to that link to look at the questions it says that the results have been blocked by the school. I was wondering if there were questions posted on another website? I've looked at some of the questions posted for other schools but it seems that the questions tend to be specific at each school. The other information on that website is very helpful.
Thanks!

Huh, that must be new. I do not know of any other web site with the collected Minnesota SDN wisdom. However, I found Minnesota's questions quite similar to Iowa State's, so it might be good to go to their SDN school page to get a feel for what to expect.

Question: Can you gain residency if your wife works full-time in minnesota while you go to vet school??

Possibly. I believe you need to be able to make the case that you moved for her job, not just for school.

Ouch, they blocked the sample questions? Harsh, Minnesota!

Yep. Nothing. Only school I've checked thus far that's been blocked. Boo! :thumbdown:

I am petrified of the behavioral interview, so I was reeeeeally hoping they'd be up. My memory of prior social interactions isn't great on the fly, and I've been out of work for a while, so it's not like I can just refer back to something that happened last week.

I'm totally with you CT - my brain just does NOT work that way and I'm really worried about coming up with appropriate situations. Someone earlier in the thread said U Minn's questions were similar to Iowa State's...I read through those and they were quite helpful. I'm also planning on making a list of experiences that might be useful so I can keep them in mind.

Anyone know how many people will be interviewing? I'm curious as to what the acceptance/rejection ratio is at this point... and a little nervous, considering there appear to be 6 full days of interviews planned. ;)

What is the best way to prepare for the interview? I know it is a behavioral based interview, but is there a list of specific questions I can mull over ahead of time? How many interviewers are there?

I read on the interviews section of this site under Minnesota that the interview there was one of the most pleasant experiences, although it is an hour long. People said they wished they would have known to be prepared for a few non-behavioral questions mixed in. I found some sample questions just by doing some google searches on vet school interview questions. Can we start a thread with possible questions to be prepared for if we don't mention specific schools?

Anyone know how many people will be interviewing? I'm curious as to what the acceptance/rejection ratio is at this point... and a little nervous, considering there appear to be 6 full days of interviews planned. ;)

Last year they interviewed about 89 in-staters. (About 55 got seats and about 30 were placed on the in-state waitlist.)

I don't know how many out-of-staters were interviewed, though, sorry. (We have 45 out-of-staters in our class, and they went to about 25 or 30 on the out-of-state waitlist, I believe.)

Hope that helps...

Has anyone heard back about which weekend you're interviewing? I just called to ask (trying to plan some things around it). The first person I talked to seemed to think they'd notified people already, and the admissions person who was in charge of organizing the visits had already left for the day. So, of course, now I'm panicking that I forgot to hit 'submit' on the survey or it otherwise disappeared into the trash can in the sky and they think I'm no longer interested and I missed the deadline and will never get a chance to interview. Hm. Overreact much? :laugh:

At the very least, it seems they will be telling us very soon (I think they originally said no later than Thursday).

yeah I havent heard back either. I believe the email said on the 13th so that would be tomorrow!

I e-mailed them this afternoon to make sure that they received my response to the offer (they did! :D)... they said we'd be getting e-mails with our interview dates and times tomorrow morning. :thumbup:

ETA- thanks, parietal! Those odds are better than I anticipated!

It turns out I did, in fact, successfully submit my info :laugh:. I'll be there 2/5!

Last year they interviewed about 89 in-staters. (About 55 got seats and about 30 were placed on the in-state waitlist.)

I don't know how many out-of-staters were interviewed, though, sorry. (We have 45 out-of-staters in our class, and they went to about 25 or 30 on the out-of-state waitlist, I believe.)

Hope that helps...

How far down do they typically go on the waitlist?

I understand that the waitlist process can be anxiety-inducing; one current fourth-year student at UMN told me she got the nod in ... August, I think? I recall her saying she had only a couple weeks to get things in order.

I just got my interview date today (like everyone, I imagine). This is a mid-life career change for me and I'm really, really excited. :)

Parietal or Elliepants (or anyone else with info...) any suggestions of where to stay? somewhere close to campus, possibly with an airport shuttle? thanks!

Anyone interviewing 1/28 or 1/29?? I'm flying in from CA and would love to share a room with someone! Money is pretty tight right now, so splitting a room and possibly even rental car would help us both out :). Plus, we can use each other for moral support! PM me if you would be interested... :D.