Minnesota C/O 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone who's been accepted and who's on the waitlist. I got accepted and absolutely loved the campus so there's a good chance I will be joining you all this coming fall. It's still sinking in that I actually got into vet school!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! I'm pretty sure I was at your table for lunch. I mean, there can't be that many people from Miami interviewing at UMN on the same day lol.

If you're thinking of the girl that threw up the U a few times that was me. Were you the guy that got there late to the tour of the Equine Facility the night before and busted in on a group touring? I know there were 2 guys that were sitting at the table for lunch with me and one of them had done that the night before.

If you're thinking of the girl that threw up the U a few times that was me. Were you the guy that got there late to the tour of the Equine Facility the night before and busted in on a group touring? I know there were 2 guys that were sitting at the table for lunch with me and one of them had done that the night before.

lol that was me! My flight was late and I came in the wrong door, a third year student led me to your group... Oh and I know you wanna come experience the arctic tundra with us! Just think, you won't have to worry about UV rays and hurricanes

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine! :)

Congrats, CT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you will get called off!

From what I've heard (which, of course, is all anecdotal and probably not worth much.....) that's for all practice purposes a guaranteed spot. A number of students have told me the U goes pretty deep into the waitlist.

Thanks, all! I'm keeping my fingers crossed... MN became my first choice the moment I set foot on campus, and I'll be honest, I didn't think I had a shot. I'm still kinda floored that I may still be in the running. :D Anyone know when they start making the calls if spots open up? Do they make us wait until 4/15, or, theoretically, if someone declined tomorrow, would they just contact #1?

Okay... must go finish Big Scary Comp Assignment and deal with Thomas, who decided to celebrate the occasion by having his first Big Scary Hypo (bad pancreas... bad bad). ;) Congrats to everyone that's been accepted or waitlisted!

She's referring to a gesture made with two hands to form a "U" shape. In other words, she was throwing up gang signs lol!!!

Ha ha, I read that too quickly and thought it said someone was throwing up AT the U.

Gangs in Minnesota? What a shame. :uhno:

;)

Ha ha, I read that too quickly and thought it said someone was throwing up AT the U.

Gangs in Minnesota? What a shame. :uhno:

;)

Well...another name for the "U" is "Thug U" so I guess the gang sign idea isn't too far off ;)

Got the email today saying i got in...Super exciting. Official motivation for last spring semester has just dropped to 0 btw haha. anyone else feel the same way?

Lurker checking in to the U of M class of 2015...I'm in!

Some of you lurkers who are in, are you IS or OOS? I wouldn't mind the chance to get to know some ISers!

Congratulations to everyone accepted and waitlisted! I am an IS accepted for the class of 2015 (yeah, so excited!) I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, since we will basically be spending the next 4 years of our lives together...congrats again to all and for those still waiting good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any tips or suggestions for housing? basically any opinion at all...

Wait until late April or so. Then you'll get info, including a vet school housing forum where vet school people are looking for roommates, advertising pet-friendly rentals, etc.

Unfortuantely have to decline my admission at UMN i just got into my IS school. UW Madison. Everyone have a great time in vet school and good luck in the future.

Hi everyone,
I’m comparing two schools and the important stuff is pretty similar (curriculum, caseload, rotation availability, externships) so I’m down to looking at the less important stuff that just make an experience a little more enjoyable (or not). I had to miss the orientation at UofM so if anyone feels like commenting on any of the below or sending me a PM I would be much appreciative!

I'm mostly wondering about student services and facilities type of stuff like lockers, changing areas for lab, mailboxes, classroom setup, computer requirements, tutoring resources, electronic lecture notes availability, histology lab setup, online resources, etc (anything you loved or didn’t love so much).

Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I’m comparing two schools and the important stuff is pretty similar (curriculum, caseload, rotation availability, externships) so I’m down to looking at the less important stuff that just make an experience a little more enjoyable (or not). I had to miss the orientation at UofM so if anyone feels like commenting on any of the below or sending me a PM I would be much appreciative!

I'm mostly wondering about student services and facilities type of stuff like lockers, changing areas for lab, mailboxes, classroom setup, computer requirements, tutoring resources, electronic lecture notes availability, histology lab setup, online resources, etc (anything you loved or didn’t love so much).

Thanks!

What other school are you considering?

Honestly, most of the stuff you mentioned either isn't that big of a deal or is probably going to be similar at most schools. Yes, Minnesota has lockers, changing rooms, mailboxes, tutoring, electronic and/or printed lecture notes (delivered to your mailbox) and a histology lab with individual student desks. We have a decent auditorium with reasonable seating, normal technology, lecture capture, etc. We have guidelines for laptop purchases, but you can get whatever brand/type you prefer.

But most of that is pretty irrelevant, even the convenience of having your own desk.

To me, ultimately only three things really matter:

• Price. Price is going to be the biggest factor, and probably the most important. Minnesota isn't strong in this area. We aren't cheap for either in-staters or out-of-staters.
  • Students. What kind of students does the school choose? Who are your classmates going to be? This is where Minnesota really shines, in my humble opinion. I adore my class. We help each other out whenever possible, which makes everything much more pleasant for everyone. Everyone wants to do their best, but no one wants to see anyone one do poorly.
  • Faculty/Administrators. Do the faculty and/or administrators strive to constantly improve the curriculum and student experience? I think Minnesota does pretty well here too. We have a very active curriculum committee that works to improve our courses and teaching. That's really important. No program is going to be perfect, but the ones that work to improve are going to be light years better than those that remain stagnant.

Best of luck on your decision!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hello and congrats! I'm an incoming OOS student. As for your post, it's really too bad you missed the tours and orientation. I went to the equine tour the night before, and the rest of events held the day of my interview. They were all fantastic... While I can't give you too many details yet, I can tell you that we get our own desks (smallish but better than nothing), mailboxes, lecture notes, and there are numerous online resources (per current students).

What I loved most: The vibe from students and staff, research opps, tracking, and it just had that "it" factor.
What I disliked most: The weather, but I'll be mostly indoors over the next 4 years anyways so I don't really care. After graduation I'll be on the first flights to a southern state though lol

Check out our fb page (link is above), there you can link up with current students and find answers to your questions.

One question- facebook page related, seeing as I haven't been accepted yet (I'm trying to be positive here ;)), and am reduced to stalking in silence...

Do you guys really show up 1-2 hours early for class the first week just to score choice spots in the lecture hall?

For once in my life, I'm kinda loving the fact that I'm a front row nerd... I'm so not a morning person, and if I end up living close by, it'll be a struggle just dragging myself out of bed an hour before classes start. :laugh:

Maybe all of us SDNers and Facebook page participants can work together and hijack an entire row...preferably towards the back. Seeing as I am not a morning person either and I have to come from about an hour away, I very much doubt that I am going to be showing up early enough to claim a good seat. And CT, I would say that you are basically a guaranteed spot at this point at #4 on the waitlist. There have been more than 4 OOS students just on SDN that have declined their offers...so we should be seeing you this fall!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Cost; students (as much as I observed anyway); faculty; all pretty similar in terms of how I would rank these things, so short of throwing a coin in the air I thought I would look into these little things :) Honestly, I never expected to have even one choice, let alone two - so I still in a little bit of disbelief, floating on a cloud, and still even get teary eyed now and then when I think of next year. Hope to see you all in the fall!

What I loved most: The vibe from students and staff, research opps, tracking, and it just had that "it" factor.

I have to say that even though I had to fly in and out in about 6 hours and missed almost everything - I too felt EXACTLY the same way about these things. :love:

One question- facebook page related, seeing as I haven't been accepted yet (I'm trying to be positive here ;)), and am reduced to stalking in silence...

You've been stalking us on FB? I am so changing that group to private. ;)

Maybe all of us SDNers and Facebook page participants can work together and hijack an entire row...preferably towards the back.

Yesssssssssssssssssss. We just need one person to show up early every day for the first week or two, right?

Yesssssssssssssssssss. We just need one person to show up early every day for the first week or two, right?

If we coordinate I think that we should be able to hold out long enough to secure the prime seats. :) The hubby works pretty closely with the MPD so he may be able to snag us some crime scene tape so that we can seal off the back row. Then maybe we would only have to show up a half an hour early...

LOL!!! We did call 'dibs', heck we can even reference our fb posts lol

If we coordinate I think that we should be able to hold out long enough to secure the prime seats. :) The hubby works pretty closely with the MPD so he may be able to snag us some crime scene tape so that we can seal off the back row. Then maybe we would only have to show up a half an hour early...

I like your thinking!

For once in my life, I'm kinda loving the fact that I'm a front row nerd... I'm so not a morning person, and if I end up living close by, it'll be a struggle just dragging myself out of bed an hour before classes start. :laugh:

So with you, I'm a front row nerd as well :)

Right on!

I'd love to sit in the back, but I am way too ADD to pull it off. I will invariably end up with 30 minutes' worth of fabulous notes followed by reams of bad cartoons, and I'll have no idea what we did in class. (And if they have us bringing our laptops, you can forget the 30 minutes.) :oops:

I know my limitations... and I know I need the adult supervision afforded by the front row. :laugh:

ETA: lest this post make me sound totally incompetent/irresponsible... basically, the gist of it is, "being up front helps me stay focused and is therefore a good thing". I'm an uber-kinesthetic learner, and sometimes it can be hard for me to sit still and listen for hours on end in a lecture hall.

Last edited:

Mwahahahahahaaa. :smuggrin:

Hey, inquiring minds want to know who they might potentially be sitting next to (or, in my case, in front of) for the next four years. ;)

:laugh:

Add me as a third one here...or at least somewhere in the front few rows. It forces me to not try and do 50 things at once and to give the lecture my undivided attention.

Declined my acceptance...Hope this is good news for someone!:hardy:

Weekly check-in and BUMP!!!

Find us on Facebook, "University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine c/o 2015"

Hey everybody! Congrats on getting in!

I thought I'd quick check in and let you guys know about housing with the Alpha Psi fraternity. Rent is crazy cheap (About $300 ±30, depending on the room) and includes all utilities, paper products, internet, free washer/dryer and a parking space close to campus. The house is within walking distance of the vet school, which is super convenient. Pets are permitted, contact me for the ins and outs of the pet policy.

If you're interested, PM me on here and I can get the information to you. Rooms will begin to open up in May as the seniors graduate.

Can't wait to see you all on campus next semester!

Sorry, forgot to answer this - Michigan.

I turned down an IS Michigan State acceptance for UMN. MSU is a good school, but Minnesota, in my opinion, had a better campus climate, better facilities, and a better city to live in (Twin Cities v. East Lansing? No contest!). We have a few people here who picked UMN over MSU. You'll get a good education either way.

Well I officially declined my OOS offer to Minnesota today...hope this helps someone out! Congrats! :D

So... only ten more days until 4/15... anyone have any idea when waitlisters might expect the calls to start? I was told late April or early May when I called last month, but that's kind of nondescript, and I am kind of impatient. ;)

Just declined my OOS spot as well, good luck wait-listers!

A little birdie told me that the waitlisted folks who got offers had until 5/2 to accept.... anyone know when any more offers will go out?

hey all, I got a very belated email today offering me an interview for c/o2015 after I initially got rejected in January...guess they had too many people decline? I declined it (graciously, it was one of my top choices), so hopefully that opens up a spot for some other deserving person!

hey all, I got a very belated email today offering me an interview for c/o2015 after I initially got rejected in January...guess they had too many people decline? I declined it (graciously, it was one of my top choices), so hopefully that opens up a spot for some other deserving person!

Wowzer.

So that's really interesting. I wonder if they go first to people who interviewed but didn't get in (before going to candidates that weren't offered interviews)?

I also wonder if they'd convert some out-of-state spots to in-state? (That's more faint hopefulness than anything; I have an in-state friend that interviewed but didn't get in.....)

Wowzer.

So that's really interesting. I wonder if they go first to people who interviewed but didn't get in (before going to candidates that weren't offered interviews)?

I also wonder if they'd convert some out-of-state spots to in-state? (That's more faint hopefulness than anything; I have an in-state friend that interviewed but didn't get in.....)

Minnesota has a fixed ratio of IS/OOS right? I find it odd that they weren't able to fill the very small number of OOS spots (something like 20?). I was quite flabergasted to find that in my inbox this morning. It might have come into play had I not gotten IS...thankfully I don't have to worry about it, that could have thrown a huge wrench into plans!

ETA: I don't think they would convert the OOS to IS, specifically due to the extra tuition money coming from OOS.

Minnesota has a fixed ratio of IS/OOS right? I find it odd that they weren't able to fill the very small number of OOS spots (something like 20?). I was quite flabergasted to find that in my inbox this morning. It might have come into play had I not gotten IS...thankfully I don't have to worry about it, that could have thrown a huge wrench into plans!

I believe that there are 55 IS spots and 45 OOS. I'm not sure how many people they waitlist... I know there was someone here in the 40's on the OOS list.

That's wild that there were so many declines this year! Did they offer to interview you by phone, or did they want you to fly out? I wonder if they're interviewing groups of people like they did a few months ago, or just talking to individual applicants and basically givng you the thumbs-up right away if they think you're a good fit.

Somewhere out there, someone is having a very good night tonight, methinks. :D

I believe that there are 55 IS spots and 45 OOS. I'm not sure how many people they waitlist... I know there was someone here in the 40's on the OOS list.

That's wild that there were so many declines this year! Did they offer to interview you by phone, or did they want you to fly out? I wonder if they're interviewing groups of people like they did a few months ago, or just talking to individual applicants and basically givng you the thumbs-up right away if they think you're a good fit.

Somewhere out there, someone is having a very good night tonight, methinks. :D

They said we could interview by phone, skype, or in person. It looks like it's a group thing, they said that another "round" will be taking place the week of June 13th.

ETA: I don't think they would convert the OOS to IS, specifically due to the extra tuition money coming from OOS.

Yes, I suppose that makes sense. Especially given the reduction in funding for the university our legislators are proposing. The CVM will have to switch to 99 OOS / 1 IS just to keep the lights on.....

I also got that email yesterday. I got rejected in January, then got the email saying they were doing a 2nd round of interviews (in Mn) that I could come out for in June, it said I just barely missed the cutoff for the first round of interviews. I will also be declining this offer, as I've already accepted another vet school.
I was pretty surprised that have had so many people decline spots that they had to go to the rejected list! This is a weird year for vet school admissions it seems.