LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
animaltracks.wordpress.com
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Yes, I am absolutely overthinking things. No question about it.

So, with that out of the way ... There are three Thursdays for IS interviews (and it sounds like three Fri/Sat for OOS interviews, presumably the same weeks).

Is there any conclusion one can draw from which date one gets? Do they schedule them at random? Highest scorers first? Last?

elliepants

Minnesota CVM c/o 2014!
Sep 21, 2009
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Yes, I am absolutely overthinking things. No question about it.

So, with that out of the way ... There are three Thursdays for IS interviews (and it sounds like three Fri/Sat for OOS interviews, presumably the same weeks).

Is there any conclusion one can draw from which date one gets? Do they schedule them at random? Highest scorers first? Last?

For ISers, dates are assigned alphabetically.

Your overthinking is making me laugh :).

elliepants

Minnesota CVM c/o 2014!
Sep 21, 2009
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Parietal or Elliepants (or anyone else with info...) any suggestions of where to stay? somewhere close to campus, possibly with an airport shuttle? thanks!

Yikes, I'm definitely the wrong person to answer this question. I'm sorry!

Maybe P has some suggestions...

About the Ads

elliepants

Minnesota CVM c/o 2014!
Sep 21, 2009
Status
  1. Veterinarian
The problem with talking to people who actually might know something is that it takes ALL the fun out of conspiracy theories. ;)

I remember coming up with the same stuff last year. But then I got to my interview and everyone's last name started with an "L" or an "M".

If it makes you feel any better, there was only one person out of my interview tour group who isn't in the class of 2014 (she was another SDNer who ended up waitlisted, I think). That's not to say that you will absolutely get in, but your odds as an in-stater with an interview are pretty darn good (I think- unless they're interviewing more applicants this year?).

If you look at the Minnesota c/o 2014 thread (January-March 2010), you can watch Parietal and I come up with our own conspiracy theories regarding every little tedious detail of Minnesota veterinary admissions.

Good luck!

Aug 31, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'll be there on 2/5! Hopefully we'll run into each other!

:thumbup: I'm very much looking forward to it! I've heard so many great things about Minnesota's program, and I already know I love living in the state (Feb should be a rude awakening, temperature-wise, though!)

Dec 21, 2010
Southern New England
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
If you look at the Minnesota c/o 2014 thread (January-March 2010), you can watch Parietal and I come up with our own conspiracy theories regarding every little tedious detail of Minnesota veterinary admissions.
Good luck!

I searched out this thread, and I am torn between extreme excitement and sheer terror. :laugh: I really wish I hadn't opted for the last weekend now... I can't wait to experience the campus firsthand and trade my interview stress for Big White Envelope vs. Skinny Envelope of Doom stress! :p

I'm practically having palpitations over the appearance of your envelopes out here, haha.

Dear adcoms: if you happen to be lurking, I promise you that CT is not nearly as neurotic in person as she appears in print. (She does, however, have a habit of referring to herself in the third person on occasion.)

elliepants

Minnesota CVM c/o 2014!
Sep 21, 2009
Status
  1. Veterinarian
I searched out this thread, and I am torn between extreme excitement and sheer terror. :laugh: I really wish I hadn't opted for the last weekend now... I can't wait to experience the campus firsthand and trade my interview stress for Big White Envelope vs. Skinny Envelope of Doom stress! :p

I'm practically having palpitations over the appearance of your envelopes out here, haha.

Dear adcoms: if you happen to be lurking, I promise you that CT is not nearly as neurotic in person as she appears in print. (She does, however, have a habit of referring to herself in the third person on occasion.)

Hahaha! I wish I had comforting words for out-of-staters, but since I didn't go through the process- I'm not really sure how it works:(.

Good luck, CT! Hopefully I'll see you in the fall!

elliepants

Minnesota CVM c/o 2014!
Sep 21, 2009
Status
  1. Veterinarian

P.S. Before you know it, you'll be sitting in a vet school classroom somewhere wondering why you worried so much:).

TomTheK9Fixr

Univ. of Minn '15
Dec 9, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted on SDN. Got an interview at MN and wanted to share my hotel deal. It's $79.00/night at a 5-star hotel in D-town. Now, I understand a lot of folks are budget-minded college students and this may not fancy you. With that said, if I am going to MN for an interview, I wanna stay at a nice place (if affordable) and experience D-town... Anywho, good luck to everyone!

Here is the link to The Grand Hotel

p.s. If anyone else is going to be here 1/28-1/30 PM me!

p.s.p.s You need to sign up for the In Touch program here to be eligible for the discounted room.

About the Ads

Chinola

UF 2015!
Nov 21, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
My interview is the first weekend, the 28th and the 29th. I'll be celebrating my birthday while I'm there! Hopefully that's good luck for the interview!! :D

Jan 11, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Does anyone know how long after the interview weekends until we'll hear admissions decisions?

Answering my own question... I found on a document somewhere on their website that offers should go out mid-March. I am hoping that is outdated and they will tell us earlier, because that's over a month after the interviews. It would be worth the wait if it's an acceptance though!

cinnamin

cinnamin
Jun 16, 2010
Iowa
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hi! Just thought I'd introduce myself, as I'm interviewing at Minnesota on 2/12 - will and SDNers be interviewing that weekend as well??? If so PM me, I'd love to meet some of you!

TomTheK9Fixr

Univ. of Minn '15
Dec 9, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
My interview is the first weekend, the 28th and the 29th. I'll be celebrating my birthday while I'm there! Hopefully that's good luck for the interview!! :D

whoa, will you be there Saturday night after interviews? If so, let's explore the city and celebrate!

LetItSnow

Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Answering my own question... I found on a document somewhere on their website that offers should go out mid-March. I am hoping that is outdated and they will tell us earlier, because that's over a month after the interviews. It would be worth the wait if it's an acceptance though!
From the 1/6 email letting you know that you got an interview:

"Final decisions will be communicated to applicants in late February."

So there you go. Earlier than mid-March.

Dec 21, 2010
Southern New England
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
For any curious OOS-ers, I found a video on YouTube suggesting that they generally interview about 250-300 applicants... so if they interview around 100 IS applicants again this time around, there will probably be 150-200 of us.

I kinda wish I was still under the assumption that our odds were close to 1:2 as well, haha! :laugh:

About the Ads

goldnretrivrgrl

Penn Vet V'15
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, Pennsylvania
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Hello all! I just canceled my interview and withdrew my application from Minnesota. It was a really difficult decision (I still feel kind of regretful) because I really liked the school, but I am already in love with another school that has offered me a position and have an upcoming interview at my instate. I hope that my spot can be given to someone else! Good luck everyone! Rock those interviews!!!! :)

Chinola

UF 2015!
Nov 21, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
whoa, will you be there Saturday night after interviews? If so, let's explore the city and celebrate!

I'll be there Saturday night but I'll be staying with a friend who lives in the cities. I'm a bridesmaid in her wedding up there in April so I may be doing wedding stuff in every spare moment that I'm not at the vet school lol. But if not I'll let you know and maybe there can be a SDN exploring the city night!

I have an attire question for the Saturday morning activities. It says that the attire is business casual if your interview is on Friday (which mine is) but then it says that we need to bring footwear appropriate for the snow. I live in Miami and was planning on wearing a pair of pumps on Saturday with my business casual clothes. Will we be actually going outside for the tour? Do I need to bring a different pair of shoes to change into? Or will my pumps be fine unless it's actively snowing? I handled my Kansas interview fine because the tour was completely inside! But now I'm having my "omg what shoes should I wear" issues again! :oops:

TomTheK9Fixr

Univ. of Minn '15
Dec 9, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hello all! I just canceled my interview and withdrew my application from Minnesota. It was a really difficult decision (I still feel kind of regretful) because I really liked the school, but I am already in love with another school that has offered me a position and have an upcoming interview at my instate. I hope that my spot can be given to someone else! Good luck everyone! Rock those interviews!!!! :)

Thx for informing us and best of luck, I'm sort of in the same position but I want to "turn every stone over" before I sign my name on those >$100k loans! Oh and btw, coming from a die-hard Buckeye fan, love your quote by JoePa. He IS THE MAN!

I'll be there Saturday night but I'll be staying with a friend who lives in the cities. I'm a bridesmaid in her wedding up there in April so I may be doing wedding stuff in every spare moment that I'm not at the vet school lol. But if not I'll let you know and maybe there can be a SDN exploring the city night!

I have an attire question for the Saturday morning activities. It says that the attire is business casual if your interview is on Friday (which mine is) but then it says that we need to bring footwear appropriate for the snow. I live in Miami and was planning on wearing a pair of pumps on Saturday with my business casual clothes. Will we be actually going outside for the tour? Do I need to bring a different pair of shoes to change into? Or will my pumps be fine unless it's actively snowing? I handled my Kansas interview fine because the tour was completely inside! But now I'm having my "omg what shoes should I wear" issues again! :oops:

From what I understand, there will be a lot of walking Saturday. I'd be surprised if every building they show us is connected, thus keeping us indoors... But that's just me; I'd take both.

LetItSnow

Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
Status
  1. Veterinarian
From what I understand, there will be a lot of walking Saturday. I'd be surprised if every building they show us is connected, thus keeping us indoors... But that's just me; I'd take both.

I'm just an applicant like the rest of you, so take this with a grain of salt. I do volunteer at the VMC, so I'm familiar with the environment.

Pomeroy Center is probably where things are centered from. It is a very short walk to the VMC, which is connected to the building that most classes are in.

The more significant walking you might do would be to tour the equine center, which is located about ... oh ... 4-5 blocks from the VMC. Personally, I think it's worth seeing even if you aren't interested in equine medicine.

The U does a pretty decent job of clearing walks and whatnot, but I'd be prepared to have to trudge through some slush and/or snow, depending on recent weather.

tuckervet

KSU C/O 2015
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2010
KS
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I just contacted the school to withdraw my application and cancel my interview. I hope this means someone else gets that spot!!

Jan 11, 2011
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Thanks to those of you who are canceling your interviews if you know you want to go somewhere else. We appreciate all the help we can get! (But I totally understand that some of you want interview just in case.) :)

Jan 18, 2011
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey so I was just wondering what everyone is wearing for interviewing...I went out and bought stuff but I just keep feeling like I am going to show up and not be dressed up enough or I dk I am just feeling paranoid! I am also wondering how many of you are frantically going over behavioral interview questions...I am REALLY glad they say ahead of time it is a behavioral interview because as I am going over questions I find myself completely stumped on many of them!

Jan 7, 2011
MN
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey so I was just wondering what everyone is wearing for interviewing...I went out and bought stuff but I just keep feeling like I am going to show up and not be dressed up enough or I dk I am just feeling paranoid!

I think that a suit and a nice blouse for women and a suit and a nice dress shirt for men will be perfectly fine. I want to tell you not to worry too much but I'm right there with you!

Chinola

UF 2015!
Nov 21, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey so I was just wondering what everyone is wearing for interviewing...I went out and bought stuff but I just keep feeling like I am going to show up and not be dressed up enough or I dk I am just feeling paranoid! I am also wondering how many of you are frantically going over behavioral interview questions...I am REALLY glad they say ahead of time it is a behavioral interview because as I am going over questions I find myself completely stumped on many of them!

I'll be wearing a black suit with a silk shirt and boots with a heel. I haven't gone over the behavioral questions yet but I keep freaking out about the idea of them in my head! Time to get some out and practice...but knowing me and my procrastination I'll probably save that for the plane ride to MN!

Don't freak out too much about interview attire. As long as it's business professional, you'll be fine (Google business professional attire if you're not sure what that is!).

About the Ads

Chinola

UF 2015!
Nov 21, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
On a related note, can we bring anything with us into the interview? (Notepad, paper....)

I brought one of those leather folders to my interview at Kansas. It sat completely untouched but then they were like "Oh, you should look this up, you'd be really interested in it" and I was able to jot it down. I'll probably bring it again. I like having something to write with/on at my disposal.

Pippen86

UC Davis c/o 2015!!!
Jan 4, 2011
CA
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Any other hotel recommendations near the campus? Are most people that are flying into Minneapolis renting a car or has anyone found another way to get to the area of the school? Cabs? Shuttles? Thanks for the help! Im terrible at planning these things.

LetItSnow

Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
Status
  1. Veterinarian
Any other hotel recommendations near the campus? Are most people that are flying into Minneapolis renting a car or has anyone found another way to get to the area of the school? Cabs? Shuttles? Thanks for the help! Im terrible at planning these things.

From an "ease" standpoint (but not necessarily 'cheapest'), I suspect your best option is to get a cab from the airport and stay at a hotel up in the Rosedale area. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....001831,-93.177452&spn=0.042361,0.066862&z=14

The brown blob at the bottom is where your interview is (if you don't see it because of screen size, scroll the map south a bit). The grey blob near the top center is the mall, with nearby hotels highlighted. The little mortar board hat in the map is more or less exactly where on campus you'll want to get to. Minneapolis and the UMN Mpls campus are west/southwest from there.

Anyway, staying up there and having your hotel call a cab for you (or maybe they would have a shuttle) makes it quick and easy to get down to the campus - you just go straight south on Cleveland.

I've lived here so long I might be missing something obvious, though. G'luck!

Aug 31, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary

I'll preface this with the warning that I'm a very cheap traveler, happy to take on inconvenience to save a buck or two ;)

I once stayed at a Motel 6 in Roseville that was clean and cheap (my two requirements) and not far from the vet school area, although that was a few years ago. In addition to renting a car - which may be the easiest, depending on your tastes and where you stay, you could also take public transit (http://www.metrotransit.org/ ) or a SuperShuttle from the airport to the hotel. If you choose not to rent a car, you could also stay near the Minneapolis U of M campus and take the free 'campus connector' to the St. Paul campus and back - I know it runs every 10 min or so during the work week, not sure about Saturdays. The Minneapolis campus area is also easy to get to via light rail directly from the airport. The St. Paul campus is a little more isolated.

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Minnesota
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Actually, we have a train that runs from the airport to Minneapolis and you can hop on a bus from there to get to a lot of hotels. It's only about $2 even during rush hour. Much cheaper than a taxi!

More information is here: http://www.metrotransit.org/light-rail.aspx You can enter your hotel address on the same page to see what combination of trains and buses you would need to take.

Minnesota also has a list of students willing to pick you up from your hotel to bring you to your interview. Just call the office. :)

zumazoom

eskimo
Nov 21, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I'm flying in from CA this Thursday for my interview on Friday :). I know this is a bold request, but would anyone be willing to share a hotel room with me or have me over for two nights? I'm a 21 year old female, working and on an extremely tight budget (like I'm sure most of you are as well), so saving any bit of money would help me out tremendously.

I am strongly considering spending the night at the airport Thursday night to save money :laugh:, so I'm hoping someone would be willing to either share a room with me or have someone local let me stay at their place. I'll buy you dinner, bring you starbucks... lol. Plus I'm very a friendly and happy person, and I'm good company! :p

Please PM me if you can help me out!! :xf:

dreamer_717

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Does Minnesota use tracking for the curriculum?

If you mean tracking LA/SA/mixed, then yes, but in the 3rd year. So the first 2 years you just take whatever ELECTIVES you like in any sized animals and then decide by 3rd year. Hope this answers your question!

dreamer_717

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
I brought one of those leather folders to my interview at Kansas. It sat completely untouched but then they were like "Oh, you should look this up, you'd be really interested in it" and I was able to jot it down. I'll probably bring it again. I like having something to write with/on at my disposal.

I also brought a folder/notepad thingy to my interview. At the end, they mentioned something I was interested in or didn't know about the school and I wrote them down for future comparison with other schools. Additionally, I wrote some questions down before the interview that I would like to know about the school/program because at the end of the interviews, they always ask, "Do you have any questions for me?" and I think it's nice to show that you're really interested in the school and came prepared.

Mar 7, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Does anyone know how mandatory the student ambassador lunch is on Saturday? I can stay through everything except for that. I have to be at the airport to catch a flight back to Florida at 3!

rileyroo

Auburn 2014
Jun 22, 2009
Status
  1. Veterinary Student

When I interviewed I rented a car and stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Roseville. It took maybe 3 minutes to get from the hotel to the campus (very easy) and I loved that hotel.

Good luck to everyone interviewing! I haven't been able to keep up with the threads much, so i'm not sure if it has been mentioend, but if they are doing the equine facility tour/pizza social again - GO TO IT! it's an incredible facility and a good chance to get to talk with current students!

dreamer_717

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Let me introduce myself, I'm a second year vet student at UMN, I'm tracking SA (small animal) and possibly exotics. I was the transportation coordinator for OOS applicants but not this year. My roomie is doing it this year. If you stay within 3 miles of the school, we MIGHT be able to give you a lift out of the kindness of our hearts :p ...depending on whether we have classes, etc., so it's not a gaurantee. Contact the school (Karen Nelson) if you're interested and she'll get you to the right person.

As for interview questions, for my interview, I just googled "behavioral interview questions" and some were used verbatim! :D

Attire: CLEAN and wrinkle-free suit and shirt and pants are a good idea. (a few pet hairs are expected.) Wear sensible shoes. Esp if you're tracking up to the Equine Center. Some of us may give you a ride up there cause the walk may take 10-15 min.

Weather: I hate snow, even thought I'm originally from Chicago! but it's kinda fun and very pretty. It does get cold so bundle up and you'll be fine. Gloves, hats, scarves and jackets are practically a must. But don't let that detour you away from a great school! If you want some of my personal experiences, just message me!

Residency: It's not easy to get. But it IS possible.

Hotel: Use the Veterinary Medical Center address or Pomeroy's address. I used 1365 Gortner Ave. St. Paul (or sometimes called Falcon Heights), MN 55108. Look for key words like Roseville and Midway. Those are nearby areas to us.

Hope I alleviated some angst, and Good Luck with everything! Let me know if you have any questions!:soexcited:

dreamer_717

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
Does anyone know how mandatory the student ambassador lunch is on Saturday? I can stay through everything except for that. I have to be at the airport to catch a flight back to Florida at 3!

It shouldn't be mandatory, they understand you have a flight to catch and won't hold it against you.

Dec 21, 2010
Southern New England
Status
  1. Veterinary Student
I'm staying in Roseville, and according to Mapquest, it looks like I should be less than a ten minute drive from the school.

Sadly, I can't room with anyone, as the maternal unit wanted to tag along so she could scope out the equine center.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads